View Full Version : Which tank pad for a black '07?

virtualmatt
February 22nd, 2010, 08:49 PM
I've been thinking of the "Carbon Fiber" Pro Grip tank pad, but I'm not sure how it will look on a black '07:
http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/31GTKpGsWoL._SL500_AA280_.jpg

Has anyone seen this particular scheme, or have a good idea on how it will look?

Here's my bike:
http://lh4.ggpht.com/_a0GYLy2hBPY/S2efmGvglMI/AAAAAAAAAzc/bgiW_j_QMCk/s1024/DSC_0001.JPG

I also have a CW fender removal kit on order.

This will likely be my only bike until I graduate law school and start getting a real income, so I want to make the most of it until then :p

Hunsy34
February 23rd, 2010, 12:21 AM
My bike is a black 06 with the silver flames, thus I went with a chrome/sliver looking pad with "ninja" going across it. I dint put it on yet since it is winter in PA. I dont think that carbon fiber will show up very well black on black but it's up to you.

Snake
February 23rd, 2010, 02:51 PM
I agree with Jason. I think it will blend into the tank and not be able to see the design very well. You need a contrasting color.

virtualmatt
February 23rd, 2010, 02:57 PM
Well, I got antsy and impulse-ordered it last night :p

My new thoughts were that I don't want it standing out too much; it'd be a subtle look.

Though now I share your collective concerns. Anyway, I'll be home for spring break in two weeks to put it on, and we'll see how it goes. I'll post a picture.

If it's ugly, I'm out $20 I suppose! If black is ugly, I'd imagine a dark red would be my best bet.

CGNY87
February 23rd, 2010, 07:53 PM
i have the exactly same setup...i'll post a picture when i get home (@ work).

I have a 07 black ninja with that tank pad

CGNY87
February 23rd, 2010, 10:22 PM
http://i23.photobucket.com/albums/b385/fernogfx/IMG_1367.jpg

http://i23.photobucket.com/albums/b385/fernogfx/IMG_1375.jpg

not the best angles but its snowing right now(old photos). I can get some others tomorrow if you want

virtualmatt
February 23rd, 2010, 10:32 PM
It seems to look nice from the angles. Having seen it in person, what do you think of it? Are you happy? Do you wish you bought a different color pad?

I mean, mine is already on order so I'm ending up with it regardless. Just curious at this point.

Thanks for the pictures, by the way!

EDIT: It almost looks clear in the pictures, actually

Hunsy34
February 23rd, 2010, 11:15 PM
The carbon fiber looks pretty good actually, it does have the suttle look to it. Matt by the way where are you from in PA and where you going to college (if you'll be home for spring break)?

Where did you get your flush mount front turn signals from? asiancycle probably?

CGNY87
February 23rd, 2010, 11:50 PM
i love how it looks. From a distance it looks clear, up close you can tell its carbon fiber. I like it b/c its not real flashy. Alot of CF you can spot a mile away and looks cheesy. This is subtle, and IMO perfect.

You can mount yours a little higher if you want. But i find my positioning perfect; i mounted mine low so it will block both my pants fly and jacket zipper (when leaning low) from touching the paint

virtualmatt
February 24th, 2010, 05:01 AM
Great; that's the look I was hoping for. I'll have to experiment with some heights before I actually stick it on :)

Hunsy: I'm currently a Penn State law student and I normally live about an hour outside Philadelphia. Yeah, my flush turn signals (and the clear pod turn signals not shown in the picture) are from AsianCycle.

sprale
March 1st, 2010, 02:29 PM
Mine's silver on silver, similar effect. Protection without looking too much like a squid...

Zim
March 9th, 2010, 12:25 AM
How helpful are those things really? They always looked too slick to give you any grip but I've never used one.

I found some Tech Spec pads for the side of the tank that looked functional. Anyone try those?

CGNY87
March 11th, 2010, 12:16 AM
these are not for grip. they r to protect the tank from zippers (jacket or pants) scratching the paint