View Full Version : New Bell Helmets for March 2010!

ScorpionNinja
March 3rd, 2010, 03:29 PM
Hi guys!

I might buy a new Helm Mid Season this year.

If i do, im thinking of trying out Bells New Vortex!

Only thing i wonder is if Bells Visor is 100% FOG-FREE???
(as was, with my exp with my Scorpion Helm Visors, they WERE!!!) :)

If thats the case and Bells Vortex Flows more Air (cooling), Less Wind Noise inside the helm... Hmmm

http://stores.sportbiketrackgear.com/Detail.bok?no=7317

Please, if anyone has road Tested their Bell Star or Bell Vortex Helm... post the 411 from your Exp with it! Good, Bad i want to know it all, so i dont waste money ahead of time! :D

- Thanks SN

mike_sema
March 3rd, 2010, 04:54 PM
i had a bell star viper for about 3 weeks before it was stolen from my bike very nice helmet air flow is great the fit is something all diff if you are a medium then order a small they run large, i also have a scorpion exo 1000 witch is a medium and dose not flow as well as the bell did, i just ordered a AGV Ti-Tech cant wait for that to be in :)

Fraja
March 5th, 2010, 06:07 PM
Dave,

Vortex rulez! but if you will do a long travel, maybe the noise will annoy you. but, i can tell you that is similar to the shoei x11 noise... May I suggest you the Icon Variant ? looks so good.

I believe that best way to choose the helmet is trying it. Try to go to a shop and ask to ride with one for some minutes.

I noticed that you went in sportbiketrackgear. I had a bad experience with them, specially when we talk about shipment and attention to the customer. be aware.

Best Regards,

Fraja.

adouglas
March 28th, 2010, 09:59 AM
In order of priority:

1) Fit.
2) Certifications (yes I know they're controversial).
3) Fit.
4) Performance (like noise, ventilation, etc.)
5) Fit.
6) Features (like fog-free shields, etc.)
7) Fit.
8) Appearance.
9) Fit.
10) Price.

For a helmet to do its job it MUST fit your noggin. If it's at all loose in any way, all it's doing is providing a container for your delicate melon to rattle around in.

When I say "fit" I don't mean just that you can put it on and not have any pain. I mean it should fit like your scalp fits on your skull. It should be snug all over, but never at all uncomfortable. It should press on your cheeks but not hurt.

Look at the close-up photos of race riders and drivers. See how their faces are obviously squished a bit by the helmet? There's a reason for that.

When I was younger I had my priorities screwed up and bought helmets for the wrong reasons, like whether it was on sale and whether it looked good. Recently I found one of those helmets in a closet and put it on. I was shocked at how poor the fit was. The upper part, say from the eyebrows up, was okay in the lengthwise direction, but it provided no support at all anywhere else. I could move it around way too easily, even with the strap cinched down.

Helmets come in many different shapes. If your head happens to fit the Vortex, great... but whatever you do, don't compromise on how it fits just because you're taken with a particular make and model.

For my latest helmet I lucked out... turns out the Joe Rocket RKT101 fits me like it was custom-made, and I got one on sale for only $100 or so. Plus it's Snell-certified.

mike_sema
March 28th, 2010, 10:13 AM
I would go to http://www.motorcyclecloseouts.com/ they have some great prices :D

ScorpionNinja
June 3rd, 2010, 07:26 PM
So, my Question is:

Is there anyone here that has BOTH a Scorpion-400/700 helmet!!
& a Bell Star or Vortex helmet!!!
and you HAVE RODE IN BOTH ALOT?

If your answer is YES to the above, then tell me your Exp with both, as far as the differences of them are! :please:

Are the Bell Star/Vortex hands down, LESS WIND/ROAD NOISE then the Scorpion-400/700's?

Are the Bell Star/Vortex hands down, FLOW TONS MORE AIR, then the Scorpion-400,700's?

I like my scorpion 400 & 700, but it might be time to get a more quite and cooler flowing helmet for Summer! :(

ericdrum
June 5th, 2010, 08:28 AM
So, my Question is:

Is there anyone here that has BOTH a Scorpion-400/700 helmet!!
& a Bell Star or Vortex helmet!!!
and you HAVE RODE IN BOTH ALOT?

If your answer is YES to the above, then tell me your Exp with both, as far as the differences of them are! :please:

Are the Bell Star/Vortex hands down, LESS WIND/ROAD NOISE then the Scorpion-400/700's?

Are the Bell Star/Vortex hands down, FLOW TONS MORE AIR, then the Scorpion-400,700's?

I like my scorpion 400 & 700, but it might be time to get a more quite and cooler flowing helmet for Summer! :(

I can only comment on my Bell Star. When the vents are open, it can be a bit noisy. If you are freeway riding, and your vents are open, you will probably want to wear ear plugs. When the vents are shut it's pretty quiet and it definitely makes a difference. When the vents are open, I really feel a big difference in how cool I am. They work pretty freakin' good. So I'm very happy with my helmet right now.

ScorpionNinja
June 6th, 2010, 04:07 PM
I can only comment on my Bell Star. When the vents are open, it can be a bit noisy. If you are freeway riding, and your vents are open, you will probably want to wear ear plugs. When the vents are shut it's pretty quiet and it definitely makes a difference. When the vents are open, I really feel a big difference in how cool I am. They work pretty freakin' good. So I'm very happy with my helmet right now.

Cool!

I figured all motorcycle full faced helmets are abit noisy! No company will ever be able to create a helmet that flows air like a mesh jacket, yet offers low wind/road noise! :(

Yea im thinking of getting a Bell Vortex for my Next helmet!

Bell Star's price of $399 is too much for me, but the Vortex @ $170 is more like it! :thumbup:

ericdrum
June 6th, 2010, 07:45 PM
Cool!

I figured all motorcycle full faced helmets are abit noisy! No company will ever be able to create a helmet that flows air like a mesh jacket, yet offers low wind/road noise! :(

Yea im thinking of getting a Bell Vortex for my Next helmet!

Bell Star's price of $399 is too much for me, but the Vortex @ $170 is more like it! :thumbup:

Check it dude. 199 http://www.motorcyclecloseouts.com/sport/motorcycle+helmets/bell_star+ace+of+diamonds+helmet

ejunk81
June 9th, 2010, 08:46 PM
I picked up the Bell Vortex about a month ago. It's louder than I'd like it to be but the airflow is based off the Bell Star (not exactly the same, but pretty close) so it's pretty good. Comes with the chin curtain & the ear pockets are pretty big so you got plenty of space for helmet speakers. The "owner's manual" was a joke...it wasn't helmet specific so it's the same thing you get no matter what Bell helmet you get. But there's not much you'd need to know how to do with the helmet anyway. The visor is fog free and I picked up a tinted visor, which performs the exact same way. In hindsight I'd like to have something a lot more quiet but for the pricepoint it gets the job done nicely.

Chubbs032
June 9th, 2010, 10:02 PM
Got my eye on a few Bell Stars....next helmet for sure.

ScorpionNinja
June 12th, 2010, 03:59 PM
I was reading helmet views from a link at:

http://www.webbikeworld.com/r2/motorcycle-helmet/bell-star/helmet-review/

and they LOVE the 2010 bell star helms. the 2008-2009 bell star helms are the ones your seeing on closeout website sales, but arent SNELL/DOR 2010 cert.
As they are snell/dot 2005 cert.

Also, the 2008-2009 bell star helms are close to the same as the 2010s, but the new 2010s have better helm Liner (more friendly in design to work with the Vents in the helm) and also the 2010s are shell shaped for a neutral - round head shape.

- the 2008-2009 bell stars were kinda on the Oval head shape! (i got a nice round head, so id have to get a 2010 for proper fit)

As for WIND/NOISE...

all full face helms are pretty noisey, lets face it. many factors play into it. some helms are alil LESS noisey then others, but just use good EARPLUGs to negate that crap!

For my next helm, Ill go with a Bell Star!

They flow a **** load of air, plus that "crack the visor open" so you get more air and more de-fogging, if needed...
not to mention the KILLER Visor, the one that changes from clear to tint, when exposed to sunlight. (like many eyeglasses out there!) - my GF has some special self tinting eyeglasses and they rock.

http://stores.sportbiketrackgear.com/Detail.bok?no=7702

The Visor sells for like $119 US, but hey... never needing sunglasses underneath your helmet, or needing 2 visors if you plan on riding past 8-9PM during a ride,etc!

** I cant find their video on the photocromitic visor, but it looks like the real deal. It also fits the Vortex! So hell, I might get a Vortex on sale and this visor and later if i find a killer deal on a 2010 bell star, i wont have to buy another visor and blow more money! :woot: