View Full Version : Kills & won't restart.

DragonKen
March 4th, 2010, 03:02 PM
Bike is 94 with 8000 miles... Not running good when I bought.. so cleaned carbs, it then ran gas gout of carb into air box.. cleaned carb again & put in some new parts.. only run with full choke and high rpms.. clean carb again.. but no change... got guy whose hobby old bikes & he cleaned carb again... ran better but when got warmed up not run good & when stop wouldn.t start.... read--read I sounds like valve not set so just in last hour took top off and adjusted valves...set at loose end of scale, start her up & ran like a top with hardly any choke for couple minutes, little noisier but good right? ... then it started hunting up & down at lower rpm. & when stopped wouldn.t start... thought maybe flooded so up throttle up & crank, & finally start limping along then got rpms so took couple trips around the block stopped at home & wouldn.t start...let sit for 5 minutes & it started.. they in coulple minutes stopped again & no start.....???????? what the hell is with this bike %&*(*)()(&^%$$# had it for year trying to get it to work right... can;t figure it out...ANY IDEAS............. any fixes??? really disgussting putting in all the hours I have on bike and just can't find answer... any help thanks in advance..

Verus Cidere
March 4th, 2010, 05:45 PM
Check the plugs and make sure they're not fouled. I've gotten a couple sets of brand new plugs that were fouled within a couple days of riding and caused that problem. Other than that, I'll let some more knowledgeable members answer. Good luck finding the problem. :)

singlecoillover
March 5th, 2010, 09:04 AM
If it only runs with full choke then your idle mixture may be off. You may need to remove the idle mixture screw plugs

http://faq.ninja250.org/wiki/Removing_idle_mixture_screw_plugs

And then adjust your idle mixture

http://faq.ninja250.org/wiki/How_do_I_adjust_the_idle_mixture%3F

You may also want to try raising your idle speed because if it's set too low the bike will start to fire, but die as soon as you let off the ignition. Turn the knob clockwise.

http://faq.ninja250.org/wiki/What_is_the_engine_idle_speed%3F_How_do_I_adjust_it%3F

And definitely check your spark plugs.

OldGuy
March 5th, 2010, 09:13 AM
Ken - if the bike was not running when you got it there is a good possibility that there was old gas in the system that has turned to varnish and has the entire system fouled. Start by totally draining the gas tank and all gas lines up to the carbs. Install one of the see-through in-line gas filters you can get at NAPA, All Parts, etc. Next get a can of Sea Foam and some fresh gas. I'd only put a couple of gallons of gas and the recommended amount of Sea Foam to start with since you might end of stripping things down to remove the carbs - you don't need to be wrestling 30+ lbs of tank and gas.

If this treatment doesn't start to show some improvement you might as well get naked with your ninja and remove the carbs for a full clean and rebuild if necessary.

Plenty of DIY's and help available. Have fun.

DragonKen
March 9th, 2010, 04:40 PM
did valve adjust, very tight, put back together, ran great for about 20 seconds than buck & running bad...jumped on a tore out of drive - couple blocks later noticed smoke, stoped, carb spraying gas all over everything...let cool & started it up ran bad but no spraying... got home..... got stick of dynamite and blew it up.... well felt like it... i didn't put filter back on when I put bike back together & think crap from tank hit carb after the 20 seconds and stuck my floats... will clean carbs for about 5th time and try again...; also going to put new plugs in..... the valves were 1 or 2 thousands so way tight & may have caused no start prob... any other suggestlons guy before i get out the dynamite????

mrlmd
March 9th, 2010, 05:55 PM
Don't want to be a fly in the ointment but - Ever think of getting a little more help or knowledge than you have and bringing it to the dealer or to a certified mechanic? First you said you adjusted the valves and "set at loose end of scale", then you "did valve adjust, very tight". Maybe you are not doing this right. Maybe it's time to have a professional look at it. You've been screwing with this for a year and haven't gotten it running yet. Look at all the fun you've been missing all that time.

bobaab
March 11th, 2010, 10:25 PM
If you think you have crap in your fuel tank and might get more, this is a cheap and effective way of trapping crap that could get into your carbs:

http://www.hardwarestore.com/media/product/283275_front200.jpg

Just get two small clamps, splice the fuel line, stick this in, and tighten the clamps.

Sailariel
March 12th, 2010, 03:10 PM
I have to agree with Old Guy. The best thing to do is to take off the tank, close the petcock, put in about a half gallon of gas with Sea Foam, close everything, and shake the hell out of it. Drain--through the petcock into a clear jar so you can see what kind of crud is in the tank. Repeat until you have clean fuel. Put on new fuel lines since you already have it apart. An in line fuel filter is money well spent. I would assume that since the carbs were drained/cleaned, that all that is left is adjustment. Put the tank back on with fresh fuel, and see if it starts. At that point--if it starts--you can play with the idle adjustment. You will need to synchronize the carbs. Kelly has a good DIY on that. Good Luck.

DragonKen
March 13th, 2010, 08:22 AM
thanks everybody... this last Eof fixes I have been doing as a winter Texan at Canyon Lake... Tomorrow will try everything said and hope runs... thing is in will be done in Milwaukee, WI and that means freezing hands again.;. although it was pretty rotten weather in Texas this winter. se all