View Full Version : Dropped my bike...

Cedilla
March 18th, 2010, 08:05 PM
I dropped my bike today, the right footpeg bracket snapped, and when it did the brake petal when through the oil sight glass. My question is, how do you fix the oil sight glass? Do you have to replace that whole side of the engine case? Also does anyone have a right side footpeg bracket for sale??? Pics of carnage.

http://i710.photobucket.com/albums/ww103/Cedilla89/IMAGE_193.jpg

Momaru
March 18th, 2010, 08:31 PM
D'oh! Sorry to hear about that Chris. Beats the hell out of a drop at speed, but almost more embarassing (I dont know anything about dropping the bike while not moving, nope...). Glad there wasn't too much damage though. Seems like they almost designed that brake pedal to go thru the sight glass if you drop it on that side...

Anyway, the sight glass is part number 52005-1009 and costs almost $9 at cheapcycleparts.com
Here's a direct link (http://www.cheapcycleparts.com/products/415405-kawasaki-52005-1009-hard-parts-gauge-oil-level). Click on your model below the part descriptor to see it on the parts fiche. You'll also want to order a new clutch cover gasket (P/N 11009-1872) as it'll almost certainly break when you pull the cover to get to the sight glass. Aaand you'll need some gasket maker to seal the mating surfaces of the crank case where they meet that clutch gasket.

However I haven't the foggiest idea how to replace the sight glass other'n it'll almost certainly require pulling the clutch cover. Tried to pop it out to clean the thing when I had the clutch cover off about a month ago doing other stuff and no joy.

Cedilla
March 18th, 2010, 08:41 PM
Thanks Paul, it was pretty embarrassing, only one other person seen it though, and he asked me if I needed a ride and I said, I do, but there is no way im leaving my bike behind. I was about 60mi away from home, so I ended up riding it a few miles to the nearest town with it dumping oil all over my back tire, and got somebody to trailer the bike home.

noche_caliente
March 19th, 2010, 04:59 PM
Chris - I'm kind of lazy about looking up links for folks, but the glass is a really easy replacement - you just pop it in there - I know there's some info on 250.org about it, and possibly even here - just search for it - no biggie to replace :)

HKr1
March 19th, 2010, 05:12 PM
Well that sucks dude! Crazy sheet for just falling over..... :(

BlueRaven
March 19th, 2010, 05:57 PM
The footpeg bracket part you broke is reference# 35063A, kawasaki part# 35063-0386-18R, usually around $60. I believe they are called rearset and the stock ones break very easily. They`re only made with white metal.

Cedilla
March 19th, 2010, 06:05 PM
Thanks for the help, I'm gonna see how much the stealership wants for the sight glass tomorrow, if its not too much I'll just pick one up there. I think I'm gonna see if I can find the bracket used before I lay down the coin on a new one, but I really need to get this fixed soon, the weather is getting better everyday.

I wanted to ride today, but since I can't I just spent a little time with my bike, so I removed the broken foot peg, and chopped off the lower half of my rear fender. I was leaving a trail of oil everywhere I pushed the bike to, which confuses me, it seems like should have lost all the oil just from the drop, and the short ride back to civilization yesterday. It left a pretty big puddle of oil when I dropped it, then I rode it about 5 miles with it spraying oil on my leg.

BlueRaven
March 19th, 2010, 06:14 PM
I bought my footpeg rest for $80 CDN at my dealership cause i didn`t feel like waiting a couple of weeks to ride. All the parts website or the ones i know about anyway are in the States. Not good for those of us up north, sometimes i wish they would just get rid of the border.

KJohnson21
March 19th, 2010, 06:15 PM
Wow, I don't remember seeing the footpeg bracket break on a Ninjette before. :eek: (seriously)

Unfortunately, it's a common quirk of the older Concours (like mine) for those brackets to break if it goes down for any reason. I think I've replaced three of them, all for minor circumstances. :mad:

At least the cost of the parts you need doesn't sound too ridiculous. I hope it all goes back together easily for you!

miks
March 19th, 2010, 06:38 PM
Had a similar problem to you when I first dropped my bike, broken footpeg bracket but not a broken oil sight glass. Just remember when putting the new one back on, make sure you connect the springs correctly or your brake light won't work ... ask me how I know :p

Zombiphone
March 20th, 2010, 09:34 AM
http://faq.ninja250.org/wiki/How_do_I_replace_the_sight_glass%3F

Unfortunately, there are no nifty pictures for this walkthrough, but at least it sounds like a decently manageable task.

I dropped my bike at a standstill too about two weeks ago on the other side and also messed up that bracket. It's amazing how easy it is the bend and break the metal parts. Although it actually tweaked the part of the frame that the mounting brackets connect to on mine. I actually managed to do more damage dropping it static then I did sliding through a canyon :headshake:

Cedilla
March 20th, 2010, 06:22 PM
I found this on youtube, seems easy enough, but I know my luck.

<object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/eg8BqLRHBVQ&hl=en_US&fs=1&color1=0x5d1719&color2=0xcd311b"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/eg8BqLRHBVQ&hl=en_US&fs=1&color1=0x5d1719&color2=0xcd311b" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>

BlueRaven
March 20th, 2010, 08:01 PM
Seems simple enough although i would of used a rag sprayed with the degreaser instead of a screwdriver if he was so worried about damaging or scratching the area once the old sightglass was removed.

Cedilla
March 24th, 2010, 04:50 PM
I ended up ordering the sight glass of cheapcycleparts.com after the guy at the dealer kept telling me that I had to buy a new engine cover.:mad: I kept trying to tell him otherwise, but after he told me that even if I could buy just the sight glass, that he would not have them in stock, and would have to order it, I told him I would just buy it somewhere else.

I just got reminded today on just how useless my local dealer is. I try to support local businesses but sometimes I just don't see the point. One more thing to rant about- it cost me $6 dollars to ship that stupid little sight glass, I don't see why they just don't stick the damn thing in an envelope, and put a stamp on it, and mail it through USPS. It probably don't weigh more than a sheet of paper. Ok end rant.:o

I also got the rearset on its way here that I purchased from a ninjette member. I just got some oil and a new oil filter too. I just can't wait to ride my bike again, I'm so anxious that im about to take off from my chair like a rocket.

Momaru
March 24th, 2010, 05:28 PM
Oh man, that's so easy! Very glad to see that. Hope your parts arrive quickly

Cedilla
April 5th, 2010, 11:22 PM
I just wanted to update that I got my bike all fixed up yesterday. The sightglass is super easy. I stuck it in the freezer the night before I installed it, all I did was pry out the old one with a flat head screwdriver, wiped down the area, and pushed the new one in with my fingers, I really did not even have to tap it in, but I did anyways just to make sure.

So if anyone needs to replace the sightglass, there is no need to remove the clutch cover, it takes 30sec tops to swap it out, as long as you freeze the new one beforehand.

There was one little weird thing. After I finished up and I started it up to check for leaks, the throttle would not return. So I just loosened the screws on the little box with the starter button, and it fixed itself so I tightened them back up and problem solved. I don't know why it was like that, it was not doing that when I had parked it. Anyone else had problems with the throttle sticking out of nowhere?

lognaturel
July 1st, 2010, 10:46 PM
Did you take a trip to the future and take a picture of my bike? I just stalled on a hill and tipped over in slow motion like an idiot. The right footpeg bracket sheared off exactly the same way yours did -- they need to get some materials engineers all up in there. >(

Thanks for confirmation of the part number. I'm glad this was only a $60 mistake!

jonthechron
July 1st, 2010, 11:15 PM
I bought my footpeg rest for $80 CDN at my dealership cause i didn`t feel like waiting a couple of weeks to ride. All the parts website or the ones i know about anyway are in the States. Not good for those of us up north, sometimes i wish they would just get rid of the border.

Yeah, the border sucks, lucky I got a friend that works at UPS =D

lognaturel
July 2nd, 2010, 10:29 AM
The footpeg bracket part you broke is reference# 35063A, kawasaki part# 35063-0386-18R, usually around $60. I believe they are called rearset and the stock ones break very easily. They`re only made with white metal.

I was pretty irritated that the thing broke but was told by the dealer that it's designed to break there to save the frame. Kind of makes sense.

(I know this thread is a million years old but it might help someone out -- probably not a good idea to put something less likely to break as bending or otherwise damaging the frame seems much worse than a $70 repair)

Cedilla
July 2nd, 2010, 04:30 PM
Sucks that yours broke, but at least its an easy fix.

Cedilla
July 2nd, 2010, 04:38 PM
Did you take a trip to the future and take a picture of my bike?

I hope yours is not as dirty as mine. :ashamed20: Of course I have an excuse for mine. Its part of my rugged commuter look. :lie: Of course i'm also pretty lazy. :couch2:

TrueFaith
July 3rd, 2010, 05:05 AM
Having it break off like that is better than having it break off in a lowside and impale you an inch deep in the knee like mine did, believe me. :rolleyes: