View Full Version : bar ends

james250ninja
March 20th, 2010, 04:11 PM
i had trouble taking my bar ends off i ended up with bar end off cause the bolt was stripped so i have 1 on and 1 off bar ends will this make a diffrence in riding

cifex
March 20th, 2010, 05:20 PM
Not really, no. Blow torch is needed to not strip them.

tapdiggy
March 20th, 2010, 06:13 PM
James, I ended up in the same situation. Tried the blowtorch trick in combination with a philips bit on a ratchet, but that didn't work. The screw head eventually got drilled out so the bar end just slid off, and then used vise-grips to unscrew the shank from the bar.

bdavison
March 20th, 2010, 06:26 PM
Without the bar end on there, you may notice a bit more vibration in that grip....the bar end weights are there to dampen the vibration in the handlebars so you dont get that hand numbing buzz.

cnichols79us
March 21st, 2010, 11:22 PM
I initially bought some LIGHT, Cheap anodized bar ends when I bought the bike. Holy crap these things VIbrate with no weight on the ends. Ended up buying some custom lathe turned HEAVY bar ends, now no vibrations at all.

drstimpy
March 22nd, 2010, 06:03 PM
Just got an impact driver cheap for this task (and a few others).

Hope that will work...maybe I should hit it with a torch first???

also like the Throttlemeister product and wonder if I can gat old bar end off to install.

caliente103
March 22nd, 2010, 06:17 PM
you need to up heat bars
Posted via Mobile Device

kkim
March 22nd, 2010, 08:04 PM

also like the Throttlemeister product and wonder if I can gat old bar end off to install.

http://www.ninjette.org/forums/showthread.php?t=12960

headshrink
April 16th, 2010, 10:23 AM

I JUST received an impact driver in the mail, in anticipation of getting a throttlemeister too..... eventually. OK- I also always wanted an impact driver, but it sounds wasteful to say I got it just because, not like I have never done THAT before... I digress.

How did it go? Did you end up needed to heat it up like everyone is saying?

drstimpy
April 17th, 2010, 05:52 AM
I JUST received an impact driver in the mail, in anticipation of getting a throttlemeister too..... eventually. OK- I also always wanted an impact driver, but it sounds wasteful to say I got it just because, not like I have never done THAT before... I digress.

How did it go? Did you end up needed to heat it up like everyone is saying?

Just finishing major overhaul valves tires emulators pods jets pipe stainless lines and changing all fluids.
Will get to grips over weekend with new impact driver and let you know.
Ps it already paid for itself on Axle nut and stubborn soft carb bolts!
Nice tool to have around
Posted via Mobile Device

drstimpy
April 18th, 2010, 05:59 PM
My little CH impact driver did the trick!! No torch required.

Took a little while and it fought to the last thread. I'm glad it was air powered because it would have taked all day with a hammer powered one. I need some of that loctite available for me to use...I think it could hold congress together!:eek:

headshrink
April 18th, 2010, 08:56 PM
My little CH impact driver did the trick!! No torch required.

Took a little while and it fought to the last thread. I'm glad it was air powered because it would have taked all day with a hammer powered one. I need some of that loctite available for me to use...I think it could hold congress together!:eek:

Ahhh, you are using an air-powered impact wrench...... I thought you where using the hammer driven driver. I was talking about the little driver, but have a CH impact wrench too... came with the compressor, so it is crap - can't take off a lugnut without twisting a little by hand!

I was planing on using blue loctite when I put the new bar ends on. I don't get why they use red!

What kind of attachment did you use?

drstimpy
April 22nd, 2010, 03:45 AM
On the impact driver or the barends? I got in the habit of putting blue locktite on all my barends after one went on its own way on another bike. yep it was a fancy throttlemeister one too! ouch.

On this bike it is still sufficiently hard to twist the screw because of the residual red locktite that I am not going to worry about it.

headshrink
April 22nd, 2010, 04:06 AM
On the impact driver or the barends? I got in the habit of putting blue locktite on all my barends after one went on its own way on another bike. yep it was a fancy throttlemeister one too! ouch.

On this bike it is still sufficiently hard to twist the screw because of the residual red locktite that I am not going to worry about it.

On the impact driver... I may have figured it out though, since I discovered the screw bit hold on the manual driver, is removable. I'll pop that on the 1/2"-3/8" adapter and put that assembly on the pneumatic driver.