View Full Version : I crashed too

jcgirl
March 21st, 2010, 08:29 PM
So, I guess I felt left out of all the crashing action that been going on lately. Was cruising down a three lane rd here in Victoria. I was the far left lane going about 60km, the person in the middle lane decided to change lanes, pretty much right on top of me. I locked up the front tire and ended up in 3ft stoppie. Came down leaning left and the bike slid out. I fell of the left side when the bike went down. Of course the cager that cut me off, took off, never to be seen again. 2 very nice people stopped and helped me up, helped me get the bike up and got the bike off to the side of the road. Rather a lot of damage to the left side of the bike. My gear is perfectly fine, not a scuff anywhere. I've got a pretty big bruise on my right knee, bruises on my arms and shoulders, and a pretty nice one on my lower back. And for everyones veiwing pleasure, please see the attached pics. Gonna have to wait and see what the insurance company says... yikes $500 deductable.

noche_caliente
March 21st, 2010, 08:36 PM
I am so sorry Jenn! I'm glad some of the cagers were friendly at least. :hug:

addy126
March 21st, 2010, 08:43 PM
10:1 He/She was probably on the G.D. Cell phone:mad: This is just maddening to see.... but at least you are okay.... it doesn't help but it all works out.... you'll see. Keep the chin up... and don't let them chase u off the road:thumbup:

adri99an
March 21st, 2010, 08:47 PM
Cagers are stupid...glad you are okay....

OldGuy
March 21st, 2010, 08:48 PM
Sorry to hear you've joined the ranks Jenn but really glad you escaped with no major injuries. Gives us all a lot to think about as we get back on the bikes for the new season.

jcgirl
March 21st, 2010, 08:49 PM
I forgot to add that I'm also getting ridiculously spoiled and dotted on by a cute boy friend ;)

Davidb1986
March 21st, 2010, 09:07 PM
had the very same thing happen to me too. A guy ran me off of the road on purpose!!! Me and my bike ended up in a grass ditch and all I have is a few scuffs and a one inch crack in my fairing

Glad to know you're alright, hope you get your bike fixed soon!!!

zartan
March 21st, 2010, 09:08 PM
Jenn there are easier ways to get totted on !!!! glad you are ok sorry about your bike :(

TrueFaith
March 21st, 2010, 10:10 PM
Aaaahh! I hate seeing black Ninjas look like that!
Seems like you might have forgotten one of the cardinal rules. Always expect any car you're even remotely near to do something completely stupid and unexpected. Because they usually do. :rolleyes:

CZroe
March 22nd, 2010, 02:30 AM
It happened to me nearly every day in my 4 months riding in GA (cagers moving in on my lane position, that is; not crashing!). Only happened once in my 1.5yrs riding in CA. A lot more bikers = a lot more awreness I guess.

karlosdajackal
March 22nd, 2010, 02:54 AM
So, I guess I felt left out of all the crashing action that been going on lately. Was cruising down a three lane rd here in Victoria. I was the far left lane going about 60km, the person in the middle lane decided to change lanes, pretty much right on top of me. I locked up the front tire and ended up in 3ft stoppie. Came down leaning left and the bike slid out. I fell of the left side when the bike went down. Of course the cager that cut me off, took off, never to be seen again. 2 very nice people stopped and helped me up, helped me get the bike up and got the bike off to the side of the road. Rather a lot of damage to the left side of the bike. My gear is perfectly fine, not a scuff anywhere. I've got a pretty big bruise on my right knee, bruises on my arms and shoulders, and a pretty nice one on my lower back. And for everyones veiwing pleasure, please see the attached pics. Gonna have to wait and see what the insurance company says... yikes $500 deductable.

This makes no sense at all, 60kph = 37 mph so not that fast, if you needed to drop back the length of a car it would take less than 1 second of very light braking, in fact just rolling off probably would have slowed you down enough.

You drive on the right side in Canada right? 3 lane road probably has a hard shoulder on the right also, why where you in the left lane going so slow, Traffic that bad? I would have thought you'd be in the far right lane and only move left a lane to overtake, then back into the right lane.

Also, you say you locked the front wheel and also did a stoppie, the two would seem to contradict each other, unless after locking you released the brakes, although you'd have to wonder why you didn't release the brakes when the back tire started coming up also?

Cages cut bikes off it happens, if you are in the middle of any lane you can be quite invisible to car drivers. If I I'm on a 3 lane road and on the left most lane, I stay towards the right side so that my headlight is in the same place as a cars right side would be, this is what the other cars are looking for. If I'm in the right lane I stay more to the left. If I'm in the center.... well I have to work twice as hard to be seen, but focus more on being visible to people I'm going past, as people going past me are more likely to see me if they start behind me.

I've been cut off just like you describe a few times, on the bike (and even in my car with daytime running lights) even with trying to make myself visible and at much higher speeds 120kph (75mph) and usually a split second tug on the front brakes with one finger is enough to drop me back a safe distance and that's the end of it.

Anyway glad your OK and being looked after, but it might be worth thinking harder about why this happened. So it doesn't again, because you will get cut off again, so you'll need to react differently ;)

(My Reaction is as follows: My middle finger on my right hand slows me down while my left thumb alternates between high beam and horn, after which the journey continues as normal)

Snake
March 22nd, 2010, 05:08 AM
Sorry to hear about the crash but I am glad to see you are ok. I guess every cloud has a silver lining...congats on all the attention you are getting from the boy friend. Hey maybe I need to wreck my bike...nah...I don't want to put my bike through the pain...lol

Well heal up quickly and get back on that steel horse.

JeffM
March 22nd, 2010, 06:10 AM
Jenn. glad you came out of this with no more than bruises and a rashed up bike. You are now an official member of the club no one wants to join.

Jeff

Greg_E
March 22nd, 2010, 07:31 AM
Suggestion number one - buy a video camera for when you ride. Pretty sad that we have to resort to this sort of thing so that the police can find the suckers when they cut us off, but what else can you do. The GoPro HD seems to be a good choice and can be had for $213 USD shipped in the USA.

There really isn't a number two, even flashing lights and a wailing siren wouldn't wake up most of these fools. The only thing you can do is try and spot them before they wreck you and either slow way down so that when they wreck you have time to stop, or speed up and get away from them and hope the officer will listen to your story when they pull you over for speeding.

#1 was a big reason why I bought my camera.

tjkamper
March 22nd, 2010, 07:42 AM
Glad to hear you made it out with just bruises. Cagers are idiots. Hope you can get the bike back together soon.

Ash
March 22nd, 2010, 08:08 AM
I'm glad you are okay - that is always the most important thing!

HKr1
March 22nd, 2010, 09:45 AM
:(

Flashmonkey
March 22nd, 2010, 09:54 AM
Sorry to hear about your crash, but definitely glad you weren't hurt!

As aggressive as it sounds, this is why I don't like to linger around cars. I'm always looking to pass and put myself in a nice, open, car-less area.

cnichols79us
March 22nd, 2010, 10:01 AM
I forgot to add that I'm also getting ridiculously spoiled and dotted on by a cute boy friend ;)

One bit of good news...Other than you are ok. Damn!!! Double Damn! Really sorry, just glad you are alright. I have had this happen 3 times in the past 2 years. LUCKILY SO FAR, I have not gone down, and 3 people drove away with a BIG Joe Rocket dent in the DRIVER side of there car. Funny thing, not ONE of them stopped, even after I kicked the S!@# out of there car. I called the police all 3 times, told them what happened, what I did, and gave a license #. Never to any avail, but I did what I could. The last one was an A$$HAT in a Mercedes Benz, on his Cell Phone, came right into the side of me. I had NOWHERE to go, so I hit the Brakes and kicked with my right leg as hard as I could (NOT Recommended, throws your balance off). When he heard the THUD, he swerved back over to the right, sped off, then switched lanes never looking back. The guy could have hit a KID, never even blinked , just took off.

Anyway, sorry for the rant, But get better and keep us updated on the bike!

Greg_E
March 22nd, 2010, 02:19 PM
Suggestion number 2, rocket launcher:rock:

caliente103
March 22nd, 2010, 04:55 PM
call Tony in NJ
Posted via Mobile Device

BlueRaven
March 22nd, 2010, 05:11 PM
Glad to hear your still in one piece.

Momaru
March 22nd, 2010, 07:17 PM
Jenn, sorry to hear you joined the ranks of the recently downed, but glad to see you're still aboveground to learn from the mistake. Sad that we have to deal with the incompetency of drivers so often, but all the more reason to be better prepared and more paranoid on the road.

addy126
March 23rd, 2010, 07:19 AM
The last one was an A$$HAT in a Mercedes Benz, on his Cell Phone, came right into the side of me. I had NOWHERE to go, so I hit the Brakes and kicked with my right leg as hard as I could (NOT Recommended, throws your balance off). When he heard the THUD, he swerved back over to the right, sped off, then switched lanes never looking back. The guy could have hit a KID, never even blinked , just took off.

Anyway, sorry for the rant, But get better and keep us updated on the bike!

The Mercedes thought he hit you, so recorrects and takes off leaving the scene of the crime.... where is the penalty to these people cuz you know he'd be let off if he had.... with the perverbial "I didn't see him".... best part of this he didn't hit you and he has a little bit of pocket money coming out of his pants to pay for the dent repair... lol... Good one Jeff!:thumbup:

cnichols79us
March 23rd, 2010, 09:54 AM
The Mercedes thought he hit you, so recorrects and takes off leaving the scene of the crime.... where is the penalty to these people cuz you know he'd be let off if he had.... with the perverbial "I didn't see him".... best part of this he didn't hit you and he has a little bit of pocket money coming out of his pants to pay for the dent repair... lol... Good one Jeff!:thumbup:

Lol. I guess.... :rolleyes: I just can't ever imagine wondering if I hit something, or Someone, and just driving off. The fact that I spaz and kick peoples car when I am about to be run over doesn't make me happy. It is an automatic defense mechanism with me for some reason. I wish I did something other than that in all out honesty. BUT, it has kept me from getting hit to this point....

ninja250
March 23rd, 2010, 10:04 AM
Sorry to hear you went down. It's only a matter of time before everyone has that day. Don't feel bad! At least someone else caused it and it wasn't you playin around.
Good to hear you're ok.
Posted via Mobile Device

jcgirl
March 23rd, 2010, 10:46 AM
Thanks Everyone!! I'm sore and discoloured but I still can't wait to get back on a bike. I should find out either today or tomorrow what insurance is gonna do with the bike. There is quite a bit of damaged to the front end. I'll let you guys know what the outcome is. Stay safe all!!

pedaltothemetal
March 23rd, 2010, 03:01 PM
Glad you're OK.
Everyday when we get back safe is a good day!
Everyone keep safe!

jcgirl
March 25th, 2010, 09:53 AM
OK.. So the story is gonna get a little worse now... well just for me I guess. I just got a call from the insurance. it's looking like they want to write off my bike. They're giving the value of the bike at $4500, and I have a $500 deductable. Which means that I'll get a payout of about $4000. Too bad that I financed the bike in Oct. Which with taxes and registration came to about $6500. So it pretty much means that I'm not gonna have a bike, but I'll still be paying for one. But luckily the insurance is classifing this as a hit and run, so my insurance premiums on my non exsistant bike won't go up. Ever try really hard not to cry????

cnichols79us
March 25th, 2010, 09:55 AM
OK.. So the story is gonna get a little worse now... well just for me I guess. I just got a call from the insurance. it's looking like they want to write off my bike. They're giving the value of the bike at $4500, and I have a $500 deductable. Which means that I'll get a payout of about $4000. Too bad that I financed the bike in Oct. Which with taxes and registration came to about $6500. So it pretty much means that I'm not gonna have a bike, but I'll still be paying for one. But luckily the insurance is classifing this as a hit and run, so my insurance premiums on my non exsistant bike won't go up. Ever try really hard not to cry????

Oh, Crapola.... I am REALLY sorry Jenn. Was hoping things would work out better than that for you....:(

rockNroll
March 25th, 2010, 10:25 AM

Did you not get gap insurance when you did your financing? If you don't know... check. I know of two different people that didn't realize they had signed on with gap insurance when they financed, but found out that they did have it (both were thefts) after all. It's a real common "add on" by the finance agents.

Glad you're all in one piece! :thumbup:

TrueFaith
March 25th, 2010, 11:18 AM
This is not the first time I've seen a result from a crash play out like this on a bike forum and it's always sad. You're buying a new bike for thousands of dollars, usually financed, buying expensive riding gear or taking riding courses/lessons and everything else that comes with owning a new bike. By the time it comes to registering, inspecting and getting insurance you're tapped out. It's tempting to get the cheapest insurance you can that gets you mobile, but it usually comes with a high deductable anyway. Then of course you bike depreciates in value every nanosecond from the moment you get the keys...blah..blah..
The point is, you're putting your body at risk. You can screw up and crash, injure yourself or die. The Ninja was my 3rd bike and for once I could afford to pay for everything up front. And I got the best insurance I could buy that included 100% medical coverage in case of an accident. It was $24 a year added to the policy.
So when I crashed it...and ended up in the hospital for 3 days and a knee operation while unemployed, I was fully covered. A few days after I got home the appraiser totalled my bike and they mailed me a check for only $500 less than what I had paid for the bike. As soon as I could walk I got another bike, same year, model and color. And then I insured it exactly the same.
This is your body and livelihood and perhaps even your life here. What happens if you injure yourself, can't work and miss payments? Or if you don't have medical insurance and crash with thousands in hospital bills to pay? You'll probably come very close to personal bankruptcy at the very least.
I must have read a half-dozen stories already by people who lost their bike and had monthly payments for the next 5 years. It's really sad and I shouldn't be having to read the same story over and over.
Protect yourslf, but protect your future financial health too. If you screw up without a back-up plan to take care of doctor's bills and bike replacement you're just gambling your future. Your future earnings and your future quality of life. I don't think any rider should settle for less than the best, most comprehensive insurance possible. Pay a little more money and cover your ass.

camaroz1985
March 25th, 2010, 11:39 AM
Sorry to hear about the crash and the insurance. I suggest you take it to get another estimate. Maybe even mention to the shop that you want to keep the repairs below 4000 or 4500. Sure you might pay a few bucks but at least you will still have your bike.

CZroe
March 25th, 2010, 12:30 PM

Buy used with the 4K (shouldn't be too hard) and continue to make payments as usual.

Greg_E
March 25th, 2010, 01:27 PM
I find it hard to believe that the repairs on that would be above $2500. You may want to see an itemized list of part needed and start pricing them for your self. You might be able to find an independent shop to do the repairs and keep it more reasonable.

Otherwise I would be really tempted to tell the bank to come and get it.

TrueFaith
March 26th, 2010, 07:31 AM
I find it hard to believe that the repairs on that would be above $2500. You may want to see an itemized list of part needed and start pricing them for your self. You might be able to find an independent shop to do the repairs and keep it more reasonable.

Otherwise I would be really tempted to tell the bank to come and get it.

Believe me, it doesn't take much at all to total a Ninja 250R. These bike have a low retail price and replacement parts are expensive. Maybe you can dump a Harley or a CBR1000 and get away with only damaging 1/3 of the value of the bike, but dump a Ninja 250R and the plastics, pegs, signals and swing arms result in a very short but expensive list that the insurance estimator compiles. Much of this bike is designed to look good, not to survive a crash at any speed. Even if you do all the work yourself, the replacement parts ain't cheap. :rolleyes:

jcgirl
March 26th, 2010, 09:23 AM
Thanks for all you replies. Pretty much where things stand right now, is that the bike has to be fixed at the dealership, so no going anywhere else. The payout will go to the financing company so no buying anything used. The dealership said they'd be willing to work with me to see if they can make the bike safely ridable without being pretty for less than $4000. Or they've got an "08 Ninja 650 model that I can pick up pretty cheap, but would have to refinance. *Sigh* I had a dream last night about riding... I miss my bike

:Cry:

Flashmonkey
March 26th, 2010, 09:28 AM
Ouch...I'm sorry to hear that! :(

CC Cowboy
March 26th, 2010, 11:26 AM
. *Sigh* I had a dream last night about riding...
:Cry:

So did I! Crazy racing dream with a lot of crashes. I better stop reading these posts before I go to sleep.

backinthesaddleagain
April 13th, 2010, 10:48 AM
Congrats on the new bike. Sorry you didn't come out whole with the insurance, but I would assume coverage is on the value of the bike, not the bike + OTD costs. Main thing is you are ok and have a bike again.

jcgirl
April 13th, 2010, 10:50 AM
Ok. So, the final outcome. Insurance paid me out 4200. I am left owing 1800 on a bike that doesn't exist anymore. I have purchased a new bike. Unfortunately, at the end of the day I decided not to go with another Ninjette. I loved my old bike!!!! But, at the end of the day, I love trying new things. I wanted to try a bigger bike, so I've purchased a CBR 600 F4. I love the new bike. It's very stable and way beefier than the Ninjette. Goodbye light and nimble :( Completely different ride. Not bad just different. I wish I could afford to have both.

So here's my dilema... Can I still stay here and play. You guys have been awesome to me since I signed up and I don't wanna leave. Can I be an honorary member?

JeffM
April 13th, 2010, 10:57 AM
Jenn, nice bike. :thumbup:

In my opinion, of course you can stay and play. I won't tell :gossip:.

Jeff

cnichols79us
April 13th, 2010, 11:13 AM
Thats a GREAT looking CBR Jenn!! :) Be Careful on it. And you can stay and play as long as you can take CC Cowboy's remarks and sassing for buying a Honda and not a Suzuki.:thumbup:

Brently7785
April 13th, 2010, 11:42 AM
sorry to hear about what happened bro. Mine just went down too due to someone elses mistakes. What did the insurenace have to say? If they decide to replace all the plastics ill buy the right side fairing from ya for sure! haha. Glad you are ok and walked away with little more than bruses...thats what really matters

Brently7785
April 13th, 2010, 11:43 AM
i meant GIRL* haha...like the new bike and have fun with it! and of course we will let you stay haha

Flashmonkey
April 13th, 2010, 12:01 PM
I love the F4's....fantastic colour too! :thumbup:

Be careful and enjoy the new bike.

CC Cowboy
April 13th, 2010, 12:30 PM
Thats a GREAT looking CBR Jenn!! :) Be Careful on it. And you can stay and play as long as you can take CC Cowboy's remarks and sassing for buying a Honda and not a Suzuki.:thumbup:

I have a Honda and I love it. Although my friends gave me hell for buying it when I did. I also ride a Honda when I'm in Rhode Island and I love that one too.

jcgirl
April 13th, 2010, 12:39 PM
I have a Honda and I love it. Although my friends gave me hell for buying it when I did. I also ride a Honda when I'm in Rhode Island and I love that one too.

That's it CC??? Where is that sass and banter we all love. I was waiting for something witty and sarcastic.... common.. please. ;)

:ear:

camaroz1985
April 13th, 2010, 01:00 PM
I vote you can stay, actually I hope you can, or I might have to leave too. Of course I'm not a girl so you might have that going for you ;)

cnichols79us
April 13th, 2010, 01:23 PM

I had to give you a hard time. No one has in a day or two.:D

Anthony_marr
April 13th, 2010, 05:55 PM
Hi Jenn,

Sorry, due to my own tour (I'm in California now), I haven't kept up with the forum. Just read about your crash. I'm glad you're okay. The rest sucks. It's gonna be tough for a while, but I envision you back on a bike before too long. I know you prefer your bike over mine, but I got mine for just CDN$3000 with only 3000 km on it. And I love it, and people in California oo and ah over it. Get back on soon!

Anthony

adri99an
April 13th, 2010, 06:17 PM
That's it CC??? Where is that sass and banter we all love. I was waiting for something witty and sarcastic.... common.. please. ;)

:ear:

:nono:
Ninja250 and I broke him of that.....he now plays well with others....

Anthony_marr
April 13th, 2010, 06:21 PM
Ok. So, the final outcome. Insurance paid me out 4200. I am left owing 1800 on a bike that doesn't exist anymore. I have purchased a new bike. Unfortunately, at the end of the day I decided not to go with another Ninjette. I loved my old bike!!!! But, at the end of the day, I love trying new things. I wanted to try a bigger bike, so I've purchased a CBR 600 F4. I love the new bike. It's very stable and way beefier than the Ninjette. Goodbye light and nimble :( Completely different ride. Not bad just different. I wish I could afford to have both.

So here's my dilema... Can I still stay here and play. You guys have been awesome to me since I signed up and I don't wanna leave. Can I be an honorary member?

Hey, sorry again. I was in too much of a hurry, and missed seeing this one. Totally awesome! Mind sharing how you got it and how many arms and legs it cost? Ride safe.

jcgirl
April 13th, 2010, 06:26 PM
Hey, sorry again. I was in too much of a hurry, and missed seeing this one. Totally awesome! Mind sharing how you got it and how many arms and legs it cost? Ride safe.

Sure, I picked it up in Mission on Sunday and brought it back to the Island on the ferry. I picked it up for 3700 and just dropped about $1000 putting on new diablo tires, new spark plugs, breaks, fluids, air filter and a general tune up. It's no where near as nimble as the Ninjette, but more stable on the highway with a lot more power. I still miss the old bike though.

Snake
April 13th, 2010, 08:17 PM
Congatulations on the new bike Jenn.
+1 here for you staying and playing with us. After all, Ninji is still expecting that date with you. Take it easy with him though on that big powerfull bike because he is used to our little Ninja's.
Have fun and ride safe.

CC Cowboy
April 14th, 2010, 10:52 AM
:nono:
Ninja250 and I broke him of that.....he now plays well with others....

A job well done, my wart covered friend!