View Full Version : Is this a good oil for the 250

aholeinthewor1d
March 22nd, 2010, 02:33 PM
i know oil is mostly preference but i wanted to make sure anyways...this is the only motorcycle oil that autozone and advanced near me had so i just wanted to make sure it was a good oil...says "superior wet clutch protection"....i remember reading on here somehwere that the ninjas have a wet clutch but just wanted to double check....

also i already decided that once i have some more miles on my bike i will be switching to rotella t full systhetic but until then which conventional rotella oil can i use? do they make 10w40 motorcycle oil? or would i just use the regular rotella t car oil? thanksss

bdavison
March 22nd, 2010, 02:44 PM
Yeah, thats what I have in mine right now....its ok.
Definitely not the best, but it works alright.

Amsoil would be better.

aholeinthewor1d
March 22nd, 2010, 03:08 PM
does the amsoil come in 10w40? im pretty sure the only other places (somewhat) around me are dealers and i havent checked prices yet but im asuming any oil there will be at least twice as expensive as the vavoline i got for 3.99 per qt........ill prob use the vavoline for this oil change but is it worth it to pay more from a dealer for any other conventional 10w40?

kkim
March 22nd, 2010, 03:20 PM
the valvoline oil will be fine.

backinthesaddleagain
March 22nd, 2010, 03:58 PM
Trying the rotella T6 for the first time. Syn 5w40.
Posted via Mobile Device

aholeinthewor1d
March 22nd, 2010, 07:29 PM
so im guessing our bikes do have a wet clutch so the superior wet clutch protection is good then..

kkim
March 22nd, 2010, 07:34 PM
so im guessing our bikes do have a wet clutch so the superior wet clutch protection is good then..

yes

aholeinthewor1d
March 22nd, 2010, 07:43 PM
thanks for the quick replys kelly..after reading your DIY oil change and reading many other threads about it i ended up goin with the WIX filter...called all over and ended up finding it at a little garage right up the road they had it in their warehouse..prob gonna call and have them get me two or three more there so i wont have to worry about finiding them in the future for a while.....also found out that my dads shop can get the napa ps4941 filter for only 5 bucks..but its not the napa gold...should i stay away from these or does anyone know 100% if wix makes them also if they are not the napa gold

kkim
March 22nd, 2010, 07:49 PM
only the NAPA Gold line filters are made by WIX.

Frankly, I'd use any filter but Fram, but that's just me. :D

I use WIX because I feel it's a good filter at a reasonable price that is convenient for me to get at my location.

Just make sure the filter you do use includes with the 2 O-rings that should be replaced when you do the filter change.

aholeinthewor1d
March 22nd, 2010, 07:55 PM
yea i was reading countless threads about all of it...i just always heard that wix made good filters so i called around a bit lookin for them...it was either wix, purolator or k&n..couldnt find purolator and wix was cheaper than k&N...i bought it earlier and made sure it came with the o-rings...now just gotta go to the dealer tomorrow for the washer for the drain bolt...i know a lot of people say its not needed seeing as how its gonna be my first oil change but they are only 30 cents each and the dealer is only like 15-20 min away so why not..

kkim
March 22nd, 2010, 07:57 PM
do you have a torque wrench? If this is your first oil change, a torque wrench would be a good tool to have. :)

aholeinthewor1d
March 22nd, 2010, 08:07 PM
yea my brother has a good 3/8 torque wrench..good from 5-75 ft lbs....just hope its accurate enough for the 14.5 ft lbs...i hear its a pain when its in the lower area that the wrench covers.....and yea its my first oil change on my bike just got it about two weeks ago. i read that you can use the same washer at least 2 or 3 times if you wanted but im kinda anal so id rather go grab a handful of the washers from the dealer

kkim
March 22nd, 2010, 08:12 PM
just be sure to practice with the torque wrench set at 14.5ft/lbs on another bolt on your car or something so you'll know that the wrench works and how to get the wrench to "click". The last thing you want is to crack the filter cover or strip the oil plug due to "operator error" when using a new tool.

good luck
:thumbup:

aholeinthewor1d
March 22nd, 2010, 08:16 PM
yea i was thinking the exact same thing...i know its an expensive torque wrench but i still wanted to be safe...and tips about using it? i was looking at it and i figured out that it needs to be on 10...then turn the handle to 4.5 im guessing..(i hope)....but ive never used one before to know anything about the clicking..do i just set it to 10 and then 4.5 and just start tightening till it makes a click? or will it just stop and not let me go any further..

kkim
March 22nd, 2010, 08:23 PM
I would say ask your brother about how that particular wrench works.

aholeinthewor1d
March 22nd, 2010, 08:30 PM
hm i prob wont let him know right away that i used it....this is the wrench if that helps...

and this is what the website says about it...

+3% clockwise accuracy between 20% - 100% of range
Audible click when torque setting is reached
Detent style locking collar prevents accidental change of torque setting
Factory calibration tape supplied with each Torque Wrench
Torque Range: 50-250 in.lbs.

his instructions for it arent in the case..

kkim
March 22nd, 2010, 08:37 PM
yep, set it to the desired setting, lock the collar and then tighten away till it clicks. like I said, try it on something unimportant first, like a car or lawnmower. :p

aholeinthewor1d
March 22nd, 2010, 08:43 PM
ha sorry to be a pain but how do u lock the colar? im usually not this bad with this stuff. ive used just about even except a torque wrench

kkim
March 22nd, 2010, 08:52 PM
you'll see it when you play with the wrench. :)

it's most likely that knurled knob on the wrench in the picture. it prevents the setting to change once you have it set to the desired value. you turn the collar and it will prevent you from turning the adjusting collar.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zgwwOJ0B964

backinthesaddleagain
March 22nd, 2010, 09:39 PM
thanks for the quick replys kelly..after reading your DIY oil change and reading many other threads about it i ended up goin with the WIX filter...called all over and ended up finding it at a little garage right up the road they had it in their warehouse..prob gonna call and have them get me two or three more there so i wont have to worry about finiding them in the future for a while.....also found out that my dads shop can get the napa ps4941 filter for only 5 bucks..but its not the napa gold...should i stay away from these or does anyone know 100% if wix makes them also if they are not the napa gold

Read my oil filter aggravation thread or just stay away from the ps4941 (non gold anyway). 2 of us have opened it only to find the wrong o-rings, and I see the filter size is different.

aholeinthewor1d
March 23rd, 2010, 04:53 AM
yea i was reading ur thread yesterday...i already have to wix..ill prob just stick with them and maybe get one k&n just for the hell of it