View Full Version : Fuel filler will not unlock.

atonyhu
March 24th, 2010, 08:08 AM
I can not get my filler open the key turns a little but not the whole way. I also tried to unbolt the filler ring but that won't come off either. Am I missing some thing?

Momaru
March 24th, 2010, 08:26 AM
Tried pressing down (towards the ground/inside of the tank) when turning the key? Sometimes there's a bit of built up gas pressure inside that sorta wedges the latch mechanism in place. If that doesn't work and you suspect the key mechanism is stuck, may try some PB Blaster, WD-40 or other penetrating lube into the key hole.

IIRC to get the ring off you still need to get the filler cap open.

atonyhu
March 24th, 2010, 11:18 AM
I got it. I pried the ring a little and it poped open. The locking tab that hold the door down was seized out. I had to take it all apart and emery it down and i sprayed it with PB blaster.

EDIT: I just relized I put this in the wrong place, sorry.

Momaru
March 24th, 2010, 11:21 AM
Glad to hear it. Think I'll lube that mechanism this afternoon.

maglin
March 24th, 2010, 11:37 AM
Happend the same to me.. I couldn't turn the key no matter what!!! :mad:

Finally, WD-40 and patience made the job :thumbup:

Apex
March 24th, 2010, 12:16 PM
WD40 on key holes ain't good. Graphite is the way to go. I use that on every single "sticky" lock I find and it works wonders.

WD40 will purge the junk out. Flush it with IPA (Isopropyl Alcohol), let it dry, then toss some graphite on it (comes in a tube). Lock will work great. :)

Lubricate the actual action with grease, but the lock mechanism with graphite.

Graphite is locksmith approved. :thumbup: :D

Momaru
March 24th, 2010, 06:09 PM
WD40 on key holes ain't good. Graphite is the way to go. I use that on every single "sticky" lock I find and it works wonders.

WD40 will purge the junk out. Flush it with IPA (Isopropyl Alcohol), let it dry, then toss some graphite on it (comes in a tube). Lock will work great. :)

Lubricate the actual action with grease, but the lock mechanism with graphite.

Graphite is locksmith approved. :thumbup: :D

+1 Forgot to mention using the graphite on locks after they're free; was focused on ideas to get the mechanism moving. I treat my locks about twice a year for every one I remember I own, more if they're fussy or used a lot.