View Full Version : storage

drstimpy
March 26th, 2010, 04:11 AM
I just bought a one owner 04 with 190 miles and a few years stored in a temperature controlled garage. I need to know what extra work will have to be done at the 500 mile service because of the long storage? Already sorted the issues from the bad gas by draining/flushing/cleaning whole fuel system and carbs.
Does the coolant have to go? how about brake and fork fluids? Brake lines?

Everything looks new and the bike functions very well.

thanks for any thoughts

PS Hagon shock was super smart money on this bike!

adouglas
March 26th, 2010, 05:46 AM
I'd take a close look at all the rubber on the bike. Rubber oxidizes and hardens with time. Every hose is suspect. So are the tire sidewalls. So are any rubber bits in the carbs (diaphragms).

All fluids should be changed.

My $0.02.

FrugalNinja250
March 26th, 2010, 06:27 AM
Definitely flush and refill brakes and coolant, change the oil and filter (but don't use synthetic as the engine isn't broken in yet, especially the rings). While the coolant is out, squeeze the radiator hoses and check for cracks. Not likely to be any since sunlight and heat are the primary decomposers of rubber. Oh, and definitely get new tires. Tread rubber hardens with age as the elasticiser evaporate, and the stock Dunlops are considered to be junk anyway.

drstimpy
March 26th, 2010, 07:42 AM
Took delivery of my sport demons yesterday. Already noticed greasy oem tires on road.
Will give a good eyeball to hoses. Maybe now is time for stainless brake lines if that is a good upgrade for this bike. Although I have to admit the bike stops pretty well with good feel at present
thanks
Posted via Mobile Device

jonthechron
March 26th, 2010, 11:22 AM
I'd take a close look at all the rubber on the bike. Rubber oxidizes and hardens with time. Every hose is suspect. So are the tire sidewalls. So are any rubber bits in the carbs (diaphragms).

My $0.02.

+1, my bike is an 09' and some rubbers are in an advanced state of deterioration...

CC Cowboy
March 26th, 2010, 01:37 PM

My $0.02.

I second the motion.

mrlmd
April 2nd, 2010, 02:28 PM
Go easy on your new tires for the first 100 miles or more, they may be a little slippery from the coating on new tires coming out of the molds 'till that wears off.