View Full Version : Pre-Gen Tire Preferences....?

cnichols79us
March 26th, 2010, 06:00 PM
SO, with the Pre-Gen having the Giant 16" wheels, whats everyones tire choices? I having been going back and forth between Pirelli Sport D's or MT75, OR Bridgestone BT45s... I am still on Original Rubber folks, so ANYTHING is gonna be an improvement! Normal street riding to Hopefully an Occasional trackday.... Whats your Favorite??? Thanks Y'all!:thumbup:

2WheelGuy
March 26th, 2010, 06:16 PM
Dunlop GT501 - Racers favorite. You need to raise the front fender. (Had these on my race bike last year.)

Pirelli Sport Demon - My all around street/track favorite. (I have these on my street bike.)

Pirelli MT75 - Good tire, low profile. Great for people with a short inseam. (I have these on my girlfriends street bike.)

sombo
March 27th, 2010, 12:32 AM
Pirelli Sport Demon all the way for me. I put them on almost as soon as I got the bike. I did do a couple runs on the previous stock series tires it had on it and felt a difference from the start with SD's.

Snake
March 27th, 2010, 05:01 AM
I am running Pirelli Sport Demons and I just love 'em.

Grn99Kawi
March 27th, 2010, 07:44 AM
I had sport demons on the on the front of my 99.. IMMEDIATE improvement over the stock Dunlops..

Alex
March 27th, 2010, 08:23 AM
Some info up here as well: http://www.ninjette.org/wiki/Tire_options_-_pregens

greg737
March 27th, 2010, 09:28 AM
Pirelli Sport Demon front, Pirelli Diablo Scooter rear (which is available in 130/80-16).

This combo allows you to avoid the enormous Sport Demon rear (only available in 130/90-16)

m3fan4ever
March 30th, 2010, 04:07 PM
I have the MT75's. I rode last season with the stock Dunlops. Had the Pirellis put on this spring and there is definitely a big confidence boost with the grip levels. I chose the MT75's because they have good performance and wear but only cost about $120 for both. The do raise the revs a little bit because of the smaller circumference, kinda like loosing a tooth on the rear sprocket. I have been really happy with them though.

Zim
March 31st, 2010, 04:51 PM
The do raise the revs a little bit because of the smaller circumference, kinda like loosing a tooth on the rear sprocket.

That's a good thing for street riding and zipping through canyons. I like MT75s.

cnichols79us
March 31st, 2010, 05:29 PM
Thanks for the Replies Guys. I know what tires are available for Pre-Gens, I just like to hear what people use and LIKE..... I am really leaning toward MT75's, EXCEPT, that will pretty well do away with my purplose of going to a 15t front sprocket.... The ONE thing keeping me away. I have a feeling I will save a bit more and end up with BT45s. Dual Compound isn't a bad thing....:thumbup:

Apex
March 31st, 2010, 07:15 PM
I've used two tires...

Dunlop's - WHICH SUCK

Sport Demon's - WHICH ROCK.

I'm a sport demon rider all the way.

cnichols79us
April 2nd, 2010, 08:16 AM
Anyone Here try Kenda 671's?????

JeffM
April 2nd, 2010, 04:52 PM
Pirelli Diablo Scooters. Vast improvement over the stock Dunrocks. Better turn-in and loads more bite.

cnichols79us
April 4th, 2010, 02:04 AM
I would love to go a Pirelli Tire like the Diablos or MT75s, BUT I don want to go to a Shorter tire and undo the 15T front sprocket results.....

Snake
April 4th, 2010, 07:34 AM
If you go with the Pirelli Diablos you will be mainting the stock tire hieght and not lose the benefits of the 15T sprocket.

voigter
April 4th, 2010, 07:46 AM
I'm also looking at new tires and trying to decide between something like the Diablos to stay with the stock size (130/80-16 and 100/80-16) or move to the Sport Demons (130/90-16 and 100/90-16).
What's the real difference going to be?

Snake
April 4th, 2010, 08:03 AM
I have the Sport demons and the only difference is the that it lifts the bike up by about a half inch. If you are short you may want to go with the Diablos.

voigter
April 4th, 2010, 08:15 AM
Thanks. Height isn't an issue (I'm 6'1"). Read a lot of positive reviews on the Demons, just want to make sure i'm not missing something or get thrown out of the shop when I show up to have them installed.

tapdiggy
April 4th, 2010, 08:59 AM
Thanks. Height isn't an issue (I'm 6'1"). Read a lot of positive reviews on the Demons, just want to make sure i'm not missing something or get thrown out of the shop when I show up to have them installed.

Good shops don't kick out customers.

fivepin
April 4th, 2010, 07:43 PM
Pirelli Diablo Scooters. Vast improvement over the stock Dunrocks. Better turn-in and loads more bite.

yeah I have the diablo scooter tires too. Its is a big improvment. a quatity tire at an affordable price :thumbup: :thumbup:

tapdiggy
April 4th, 2010, 10:03 PM
I bought these "vintage replacement" tires made by Continental. They have done what I asked of them. Maybe I'm just going too slow.:confused:

http://www.conti-online.com/generator/www/de/de/continental/motorrad/themen/motorradreifen/sport_classic/img/tkv11_12_uv.jpg

algerath
April 8th, 2010, 04:40 PM
I have run them all over for the last week, about 550 miles in the last 6 days, including 2 days of rain and wind. I love them so far.

They do increase revs on the highway. The bike actually indicates about the same RPMs as before but the speedo shows faster than actual now. Before with the 130/90 and 100/90 Kendas it was right on the money, with about 8k rpm at 65, now it shows 8k at 65 but actually takes 8500 or so and 70 on the speedo to actually do 65.

I ordered them for 120 bucks for both and changed them myself. I spent less on tools than a shop would charge to change them, and did it in about 2 hours. It will take much less next time. I have read about them wearing quickly but I can afford to replace them more often at 120 per pair so I am not worried about that.

After my last experience having a shop change tires on another bike and then this time doing it myself I will NEVER pay a shop to do it again.

ashish87
April 8th, 2010, 04:54 PM
I have run them all over for the last week, about 550 miles in the last 6 days, including 2 days of rain and wind. I love them so far.

They do increase revs on the highway. The bike actually indicates about the same RPMs as before but the speedo shows faster than actual now. Before with the 130/90 and 100/90 Kendas it was right on the money, with about 8k rpm at 65, now it shows 8k at 65 but actually takes 8500 or so and 70 on the speedo to actually do 65.

I ordered them for 120 bucks for both and changed them myself. I spent less on tools than a shop would charge to change them, and did it in about 2 hours. It will take much less next time. I have read about them wearing quickly but I can afford to replace them more often at 120 per pair so I am not worried about that.

That's awesome, i definitely want to try to change the tires myself. I heard it takes patience and you can take them into the shop to just get them balanced. How often do you guys change stock tires? I'm at 3600 miles and i want to go with the sport demons. I just want a bigger tire on the back.

After my last experience having a shop change tires on another bike and then this time doing it myself I will NEVER pay a shop to do it again.

That's awesome, I want to try that. I just want a bigger rear tire, do you guys suggest going with the Sport Demons for a bigger rear tire too? I heard good things.

Snake
April 8th, 2010, 05:05 PM
I have found that my sport demons do have a wider look to them.

algerath
April 8th, 2010, 05:29 PM
just go slow and take your time the first time. I bought a pair of motion pro 11" tire irons and a gallon of Ruglyde from Napa. I used a 6" c-clamp to break the bead and a couple pieces of rubber hose cut down the side for rim protectors. Put the wheel on some 2x4s to protect the rotor and remember to take small bites with the irons. I balanced them with the axle on a pair of jackstands and stick on weights. I haven't been over 75 on the tires but have noticed no balance issues up to that speed. you can find lots of tutorials on how to do it with google including some good youtube videos. The Ruglyde was like 15 bucks but it will last forever and it is meant for tires, most people will recommend some other substance for lube like dish soap or pledge or wd40 but I wanted to use a product meant for tires. I took a couple of pics while I did it I will try to post them tonight.

cnichols79us
April 9th, 2010, 01:58 PM
Great info Y'all and thanks. Just an FYI, I have been dabbling with trying the Kenda 671's for some reason, mostly cost and good reviews on them. I was checking out other tires again, BUT, jakewilson.com had the Kenda 671's for UNDER $50 a tire, AND THEN an additional $10 off for ordering both front and rear..... SO, I got the 671s to give them a try and got them for $85.98 SHIPPED. Thats front AND rear.... Couldn't pass that one up for an experiment.... :)

shiphteey
April 19th, 2010, 06:05 AM
Good results with the MT75s. 110 mph sweepers and it stayed glued...unless the front end started chattering around and even then it was a predictable front end push.

A.

komohana
April 19th, 2010, 11:33 AM
the kenda's sure sound good price-wise but i'd be wary of quality issues with something so darn cheap

let us know how they feel

i'm a sport demon fan all the way :burnout:

saber63
April 19th, 2010, 08:11 PM
rode a bike with the kenda 671 rear, (sport demon front due to a flat rear, and Kendas where there only choice.) the rear hooks great at lean! could pretty much pin the throotle up in the revs at 1/2 lean, was able to out ride the semi tired rear shock... they are a VERY very fun tire!

but please dont pin it open mid lean right off the bat... bad things will happen, start slow, work your way up... and all that common sense stuff ;)

oh and they have good lean angle! with proper body postion and speed you should be able to get your knee down on the track no problem!

cnichols79us
April 22nd, 2010, 02:38 PM
the kenda's sure sound good price-wise but i'd be wary of quality issues with something so darn cheap

let us know how they feel

i'm a sport demon fan all the way :burnout:

I have read NOTHING but good about these tires. Albiet, mostly from the touring crowd, but a bunch of people run them on their 250's with no complaints! Had to try em. I'll get an update up as soon as I get them on the Bike! :thumbup:

Slabrocks
April 23rd, 2010, 08:45 AM
its been a couple weeks since you said you placed your order.
Id love to try the same tires. do you have any feedback on them?
they came out to just under $86 for me shipped.
If it makes me better and the bike safer, its well worth it.

puck
April 25th, 2010, 06:46 AM
I run on the Kenda 671 cruisers—excellent if you want a longer-lasting tire that still drops into a turn with a flick. But the real advantage is that it just lasts and lasts...great for commuting.

drstimpy
April 26th, 2010, 03:44 AM
Happy with Sport Demons...really nice and stable at all the lean angles I can reach on the street and the grip is positively amazing coming off the stock tires.

cnichols79us
April 27th, 2010, 03:23 PM
its been a couple weeks since you said you placed your order.
Id love to try the same tires. do you have any feedback on them?
they came out to just under $86 for me shipped.
If it makes me better and the bike safer, its well worth it.

I haven't got them mounted yet. 2 days before I got them we went out of town, started our back yard construction, and had company for 5 days. I haven't been able to do much of anything.... As soon as I get them on, I'll post some feedback. I am SO looking forward to trying them out.:thumbup:

Slabrocks
April 27th, 2010, 03:33 PM
im looking forward to it too!!! hurry up already!

nate-bama
May 8th, 2010, 10:37 AM
i run a mt 75 up front and a Metzler me 880 in the rear, love them both!

Terrorizer
May 26th, 2010, 02:02 PM
What a difference from stock! amazing for the price and a perfect fit as well. I love em.:thumbup:

HotWheels
May 27th, 2010, 11:27 PM
I am running a Pirelli MT75 in the front and a GT501 in the back. The MT75's are super gripy which is why they don't last as long as some other makes how ever the flip side to this is great and reliable grip which means safety especially when riding the bike hard. The GT501 grips really good as well and what is nice is that you can get more mileage out of them as well. I didn't feel like raising the front fender just out of laziness so i decided to put the really gripy MT75 up front which is really makes me feel better because my thinking is that with such a gripy tire up front, that would alleviate any front end washing out or at least reduce the chances greatly (gravel, heavy braking which could be just riding it hard or in emergency situations which I've had already and luckily it didn't slide out on me at all very much.

FocusDave
June 2nd, 2010, 10:37 AM
How's them Kenda 671 treating you

nate-bama
June 15th, 2010, 04:48 PM
Just got back from thunder on the rock 2010 at mont eagle tennesse and no I didn't get my tail kicked, a sporster 1200 has a 130/90-16:)

Snake
June 15th, 2010, 05:12 PM
I used to run Pirelli Sport Demons' front and back but I just switched to Pirelli Diablos' so I could go back to stock tire size and lower the bike back down. The Sport Demons raised the rear about 1.5" and the front about 1/2". The Diablos are a great all around tire.

Vee33k
July 7th, 2010, 06:58 AM
I just put some Diablo's on the Ninja yesterday, the replace a blistered Avon Viper. I need to break the tire in before I can comment on the handling.

nate-bama
July 7th, 2010, 06:37 PM
they are expensive but worth it..whitewall optional

pooter
July 9th, 2010, 11:04 AM
Getting the diablo scooter tires installed and my local shop is busting my balls over them. I ordered them online and had them sent to the shop and when I show up they're all "u know u ordered scooter tires right?" And of course I say yeah I know but I heard a lot of good reviews online... then the guy cuts me off and says "ok I'll wheel your 'scooter' in" condescendingly...
Posted via Mobile Device

Grn99Kawi
July 9th, 2010, 11:24 AM
then the guy cuts me off and says "ok I'll wheel your 'scooter' in" condescendingly...
Posted via Mobile Device

hmm... bust their balls back... pay them in nickels.... :)

pooter
July 9th, 2010, 03:29 PM
lol it's cool think he was maybe irritated I didn't buy the Sport Demons they had in stock... Might try those next actually. Guy turned out pretty cool tho, ended up chatting for a bit after about cornering and other random stuff.

highpsiguy
August 19th, 2010, 01:38 PM
Just ordered front and rear tires thru Dennis Kirk.com. They also had the 15 tooth front sprocket in stock, so I got that as well. 121.97 for everything delivered.