View Full Version : Laid my BABY down in GMR

adri99an
March 29th, 2010, 05:22 PM
I too have fallen victim to GMR....I guess after riding there 2 years one of these days it was going to get me and it did....

I was coming around a nice sweeping turn....good lean...butt cheek off head low....ok line....but caught some gravel and dirt towards the end of the turn....low sided....I believe I might have been doing 40-45mph....looking back that might've been too fast for this turn.....I rolled a few times...hiting my helmet along the pavement.....

In the end....I got a few scrapes....and some bruised ribs.....I had to get my ribs x-rayed because of the intense pain when I breathed in and out.....

So now what? Do I report it to the insurance and pay the 500 deductible or get all new fairings that the left side needs? ANy suggestions from those that have been down this road? The bike runs fine...started right up---bent clutch--ez fix but the fairings are tore up.....

pedaltothemetal
March 29th, 2010, 05:44 PM
Not you too Adrian!
Glad you're OK!

CC Cowboy
March 29th, 2010, 05:45 PM
I too have fallen victim to GMR....I guess after riding there 2 years one of these days it was going to get me and it did....

I was coming around a nice sweeping turn....good lean...butt cheek off head low....ok line....but caught some gravel and dirt towards the end of the turn....low sided....I believe I might have been doing 40-45mph....looking back that might've been too fast for this turn.....I rolled a few times...hiting my helmet along the pavement.....

In the end....I got a few scrapes....and some bruised ribs.....I had to get my ribs x-rayed because of the intense pain when I breathed in and out.....

So now what? Do I report it to the insurance and pay the 500 deductible or get all new fairings that the left side needs? ANy suggestions from those that have been down this road? The bike runs fine...started right up---bent clutch--ez fix but the fairings are tore up.....

It didn't get you, you got you.

Caught some gravel and dirt? I ride and see this stuff all the time and I don't go down. Learn to ride before you hurt yourself. I'm so tired of you idiots crashing. If you don't know how to handle these situations GO SLOWER! What are you looking at/for when you go around a corner? You should always be looking for conditions and obsticles and know how to avoid them.

So now what? Go stand in the corner and put a dunce hat on until you learn your lesson before you kill yourself.

Kurosaki
March 29th, 2010, 05:46 PM
fix it yourself.

keep your eyes on ebay and the forums.

If it's not bad, find a local paint shop and see how much it will cost to shoot the scratched pieces. or just live with it.

If you claim it, you will probably regret it.

Post pics of your bike and that will help decide if you should claim it or not.

But I would mostly say don't do it.

I brought my bike back from

This

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v238/Turbo-Joe/P8110155.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v238/Turbo-Joe/P8010150.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v238/Turbo-Joe/P8160157.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v238/Turbo-Joe/P8160156.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v238/Turbo-Joe/P8010149.jpg

To this

http://photos-c.ak.fbcdn.net/photos-ak-snc1/v2282/35/28/28003746/n28003746_31697286_2222.jpg

http://photos-e.ak.fbcdn.net/photos-ak-snc1/v2282/35/28/28003746/n28003746_31697287_2773.jpg

I scored a lot of deals off ebay and forums by waiting and pouncing when I saw them.

Cost a lot less than what insurance will get back from you over the course of your raised premiums from your claim. When your insurance goes up, you will wish you fixed it yourself. Even if it takes a few months.

Plus you will become very familiar with working on your bike, which is a very good thing as well.

adri99an
March 29th, 2010, 05:54 PM
Pics from the damage....my bike has a new name:

DR. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde--being that one side is perfect and the other is horrid.

matteblack
March 29th, 2010, 05:55 PM
I agree with previous posters, don't claim it.

I claimed damage from a lowside on mine (exactly like yours) and they totalled it because of the fairing damage and replacement parts/labor. No major parts were damaged and it rides straight. I got it back on the road for about $300. I do have to replace a few more dinged up parts and get the bike inspected to get the salvage off of the title.

If I did it again, I would not report it.

Matt

adri99an
March 29th, 2010, 05:58 PM
Nice Joeseph......I guess I will have to wait around....looks good :)

CC Cowboy--I forgot about a-holes like you on this forum...it's people like you that make others not want to post....

Kurosaki
March 29th, 2010, 06:39 PM
Pics from the damage....my bike has a new name:

DR. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde--being that one side is perfect and the other is horrid.

DO NOT REPORT THAT TO INSURANCE.

That is not too bad at all.

ninja250
March 29th, 2010, 06:40 PM
Not you too!
You feel like your got your ass handed to ya by the football team?
Sorry to hear it brother. I'm on my phone so can't see pics but when I get to a pc I'll check it out.
Like always if you need a mechanic I just about know this bike inside out by now besides the engine guts so if you need help let me know!
Patch it up and fix it with cheapcycleparts.Com and eBay. You'll be solid again in no time.
Don't feel bad man it got me hard too. Lol we're a couple lucky bastids. See you in the hills where we belong.
Posted via Mobile Device

jcgirl
March 29th, 2010, 06:40 PM
So sorry to hear. Glad your not hurt. At least you get to buy a new helmet.

How much would your premiums go up by if you claimed it? If possible to fix your bike for not too much, that might be the better route. I'm not sure about down there, but up here it takes 6 years for your premiums to back down after an At-Fault accident. Good luck man.

Oh, and try not to feel too personally attacked. It's important for all of us to learn from each others and our own mistakes. People are going to pick apart your crash, it's gonna suck. But hopefully we can keep this from happening again to someone else. Try to think of us noobs, every piece of critique helps us. So thanks for having the guts to post this anyways.

:hug:

ninja250
March 29th, 2010, 06:46 PM
We'll have to get a ninja LA crash club going At this rate.
Posted via Mobile Device

cnichols79us
March 29th, 2010, 07:15 PM
Sorry to hear Adrian... Glad your ok.

kkim
March 29th, 2010, 07:17 PM
I'm with CC. :thumbup:

curlyredhead
March 29th, 2010, 07:31 PM
I'm a noob to riding so any honest sharing of information is much appreciated. It seems this group is mostly supportive even when you fess up to a crash. Just be safe and thank you for letting all of us learn from your situation.

littledog
March 29th, 2010, 08:08 PM
... GO SLOWER! ....

You sir must be a Crazy Crazy Cowboy to suggest such a thing....

Oh, but seriously, adri99an, glad and hope, that you are ok.

adri99an
March 29th, 2010, 08:57 PM
Matt- I hear what you are saying....thanks for the advice.....where'd you get your fairings?

KC--we need to get our So Cal Crash Club together....I will take you up on that offer for HELP.....when do you have time??? It's people like you that make this forum great.....

My wife's joke about my bike is...."Oh....those scratches will buff right out."

DEXSPEED
March 29th, 2010, 09:31 PM
Constructive criticism is always welcome but let's avoid not to offend with demeaning words.addrian were you wearing your icon vest armor?did it help protecting you?
Posted via Mobile Device

Momaru
March 29th, 2010, 10:29 PM
d'oh! Sorry to hear/see this Adrian. Looks like the rough early spring continues. Glad it's just cosmetic work on the bike and not too bad on you either. How'd your rib X-ray come out, anything broken?

Agree on the 'don't claim it' though. The fairings did their job and ate the damage for your frame & engine. That $500 deductible will get you a new front and side fairing, so insurance would only likely pay out another $300-500, plus shop labor, both of which they'd reclaim in boosted premiums, as other people have said. It'll suck having to keep looking at a bruised bike and take your baby apart, but you'll feel 5x better once she's back to tip-top knowing you fixed her up instead of just handing her over to strangers.

FWIW, I'm pretty sure about 20% of those scratches would pretty much disappear with sufficient buffing, but the cracked fairings will be a pain to fix and never quite the same even afterwards. Cheapcycleparts.com and kawasakipartsnation.com are the 2 cheapest OEM parts suppliers I've seen. They tend to take their time shipping out, but the savings are usually worth the wait.

May wanna check your front fairing stay brackets. Mine were tweaked a bit when I dropped my bike shortly after buying it; didn't even notice until I was stripping it for installation of the new parts.

From the pics, I might suggest a tougher jacket if you choose to replace that one; seems like it didn't fare so well.

ninja250
March 29th, 2010, 10:36 PM
They tend to take their time shipping out, but the savings are usually worth the wait
Ditto. Lil slow (max week and a half or so) but they are a few bucks cheaper in the long run.

Adrian I can help ya out no problem dude. We need to remove your fairings and inspect for any more damage elsewhere before you order parts. I can help you out with oil and stuff too. Find a place to park your bike for one afternoon where I can set some tools without upsetting anyone and give me a call a few days before you're ready for me. I'll ride my beater down there. :rolleyes: Make sure your machine is still good to go and nothing knocked loose. :)

check your PM.

laraider
March 29th, 2010, 11:00 PM
oh my, sorry to hear that adrian, glad that you are okay.

Verus Cidere
March 29th, 2010, 11:11 PM
Sorry you took a fall man! Glad to hear you're ok. As far as the bike goes, consider paying for the repair a reminder to be more careful. Also, thank you for reminding me to keep the GP on the track. I need to find a track day myself, rather than taking fun corners too quickly.

On another note, why so much hostility everybody? That's the easiest way to get someone to ignore what you have to say. CC and Kim are right, there is something to be said for going slower until you know your bike top-to bottom (or are on a track, where that sort of thing is meant to be done), but calling someone an idiot for a mistake they're already paying for is pouring salt in an already sore wound for no reason, and will more likely push them away than properly advise them. If nothing else, I appreciate all the threads like this because they help me remember to be careful and to watch out for these things. We're all human here, and we all make mistakes. I don't see why we can't support people and help them learn. There are always going to be people crashing on this forum, especially considering the amount of growth we've had since I started. Let's try to keep up the "friendliest forum" reputation we have. I take pride in that, and it is the #1 thing that worries me about getting a bigger bike. I want to have friendly people to confide in, to be scrutinized and corrected, but not made to feel bad about my mistakes.

End rant.

miks
March 29th, 2010, 11:17 PM
Glad to know you're alright mate. Luckily the bike didn't fall on the right hand side with the exhaust and all. As for the damage report, how did the left clip-on, left rear set, and shifter go?

I agree with everyone else, fix it ya'self. Ebay and forums like this will be your best hunting grounds. Good luck with the repairs, and hoping you heal up quickly.

Oh, and what were you wearing if you don't mind me asking and how did they hold up?

sixer
March 30th, 2010, 12:09 AM
Yo Ade sorry to hear and see the pics_ best luck to you -
Posted via Mobile Device

talldrink
March 30th, 2010, 05:57 AM
Sorry you took a fall man! Glad to hear you're ok. As far as the bike goes, consider paying for the repair a reminder to be more careful. Also, thank you for reminding me to keep the GP on the track. I need to find a track day myself, rather than taking fun corners too quickly.

On another note, why so much hostility everybody? That's the easiest way to get someone to ignore what you have to say. CC and Kim are right, there is something to be said for going slower until you know your bike top-to bottom (or are on a track, where that sort of thing is meant to be done), but calling someone an idiot for a mistake they're already paying for is pouring salt in an already sore wound for no reason, and will more likely push them away than properly advise them. If nothing else, I appreciate all the threads like this because they help me remember to be careful and to watch out for these things. We're all human here, and we all make mistakes. I don't see why we can't support people and help them learn. There are always going to be people crashing on this forum, especially considering the amount of growth we've had since I started. Let's try to keep up the "friendliest forum" reputation we have. I take pride in that, and it is the #1 thing that worries me about getting a bigger bike. I want to have friendly people to confide in, to be scrutinized and corrected, but not made to feel bad about my mistakes.

End rant.

:thumbup:

Banzai
March 30th, 2010, 06:11 AM
Replace the helmet!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

adri99an
March 30th, 2010, 06:30 AM
Thanks for all the POSITIVE feedback---I will get to all your questions later---as I have to get to work this morning....

KC-you are a true Ninjette ryder....backing a fellow ryder up and not talking trash like some...

to be continued.....

addy126
March 30th, 2010, 06:34 AM
Accept the damage as a result of your riding.... and something you pay for when you push the envelope which is something we all do from time to time. It's just the nature of the beast and the more expensive part of this hobby. Don't claim it on the insurance, just dig deep for the cash and fix it all. I've seen alot of people selling off fairings and such in here for pretty decent prices recently... just the better way to go. :thumbup:

matteblack
March 30th, 2010, 06:46 AM
Matt- I hear what you are saying....thanks for the advice.....where'd you get your fairings?

I haven't replaced them yet. My left bar was tweaked, left mirror, turn signal, etc. That stuff added up $$ quick. I would love to find the cheapest source for the fairings if anyone knows.

Matt

CC Cowboy
March 30th, 2010, 07:30 AM
It didn't get you, you got you.

Caught some gravel and dirt? I ride and see this stuff all the time and I don't go down. Learn to ride before you hurt yourself. I'm so tired of you idiots crashing. If you don't know how to handle these situations GO SLOWER! What are you looking at/for when you go around a corner? You should always be looking for conditions and obsticles and know how to avoid them.

So now what? Go stand in the corner and put a dunce hat on until you learn your lesson before you kill yourself.

Adrian, this was not only directed at you but was for the benefit of the entire forum.

Nice Joeseph......I guess I will have to wait around....looks good :)

CC Cowboy--I forgot about a-holes like you on this forum...it's people like you that make others not want to post....

That's for the compliment. I do have an image to maintain (sometimes the facts are hard to swallow).

Zombiphone
March 30th, 2010, 08:06 AM
Wow, I can't believe your turn signal is still intact :eek:

Really sorry to hear that, but glad you're alright. That is one crazy road, for sure. At least since the damage is largely cosmetic, even if it takes a while to fix it, you can still ride it while you wait. I've kind of started to become a bit accustomed to my bike's road rash. Could be worse.

This is definitely a good reminder for me to cool it on public roads as well. No matter how much fun they may be, playing in the mountains is much akin to playing in abandoned construction sites when you're little. I'm just glad that with all of these crashes as of late it's just been bikes and personal pride taking the brunt of the damage. Live and learn, I suppose.

So, uh... on a side note, I take it you're out for Saturday? Or do you want to make that a nice, easy ride?

CC Cowboy
March 30th, 2010, 08:09 AM
Wow, I can't believe your turn signal is still intact :eek:

This is definitely a good reminder for me to cool it on public roads as well. No matter how much fun they may be, playing in the mountains is much akin to playing in abandoned construction sites when you're little. I'm just glad that with all of these crashes as of late it's just been bikes and personal pride taking the brunt of the damage. Live and learn, I suppose.

So, uh... on a side note, I take it you're out for Saturday? Or do you want to make that a nice, easy ride?

Good pun!

TmP
March 30th, 2010, 08:16 AM
Would be nice to know what the result would have been with frame sliders...
Anyone got pics of a scenario like this?

TrueFaith
March 30th, 2010, 08:20 AM
CC is right. There are far too many people blasting through corners on their Ninjas lately who aren't prepared for what they may unexpectedly encounter in that turn. More people seem fixated in getting their knee down in a corner than getting through the corner safely. Why are you even trying to drag a knee on the street? Gravel and sand are everywhere this time of year. If you want to practice hanging off, do it at a track.
Every week for the next 5 or 6 months we're going to see posts by riders who lost it on gravel in a turn. Most of them will have been going too fast or not paying attention to road conditions because they were too busy concentrating on something else. I guarantee you're not going to look cool if you go down in a turn because you were going too fast for road conditions. Some people can adjust when things get hairy in a turn, but the vast majorty can't or don't have the riding experience to avoid crashing when the situation changes dramatically.
CC was riding ahead of me when I went down on gravel 2 years ago. He saw the swath of gravel, shifted his weight to the inside and rode through it. I came up behind him, didn't see it until too late and crashed. While I may have been going the speed limit for the road, for that corner littered with gravel even the speed limit was way too fast.
The difference between crashing and not here was one of riding experience and skill. CC had it, I didn't. I can guarantee you he didn't get to be as good a rider as he is by trying to drag his knee on the street. As long as I've known him his #1 suggestion to riders like this is to take it to the track. If you're trying to drop a knee on a public road before you've done it on a track you're just asking for trouble.
If anything, the testosterone level of some of the riders on this forum has increased since I became a member here and it's a disturbing trend. I'm seeing more crashing happening earlier in the season than ever before and more disregard for the basics of safe motorcycling with every post. Safety should always be the first priority and some of these riders need to dial it down a bit when they are on public roads or they will inevitably pay the price.

ninja250
March 30th, 2010, 08:49 AM
More people seem fixated in getting their knee down in a corner than getting through the corner safely. Why are you even trying to drag a knee on the street? Gravel and sand are everywhere this time of year. If you want to practice hanging off, do it at a track.

Adrian doesn't drag, so I guess I'll bend over for that one. :D

I found a good place to practice is in the desert, in the open, near the track as well.
Just bring a couple "homies" to scrape you up in case you "eat it".

We are all still on this weekend, crashed bikes or not.

pedaltothemetal
March 30th, 2010, 11:11 AM
CC was riding ahead of me when I went down on gravel 2 years ago. He saw the swath of gravel, shifted his weight to the inside and rode through it. I came up behind him, didn't see it until too late and crashed. While I may have been going the speed limit for the road, for that corner littered with gravel even the speed limit was way too fast.

Rule number whatever!
Don't follow too close. You have to see the whole turn so you
can prepare to ride the safest line. CC shifed his body weight to cut
to the area of least gravel. If you kept your distance, you most like would
have made it thru too!

talldrink
March 30th, 2010, 12:25 PM
CC is right. There are far too many people blasting through corners on their Ninjas lately who aren't prepared for what they may unexpectedly encounter in that turn. More people seem fixated in getting their knee down in a corner than getting through the corner safely. Why are you even trying to drag a knee on the street? Gravel and sand are everywhere this time of year. If you want to practice hanging off, do it at a track.
Every week for the next 5 or 6 months we're going to see posts by riders who lost it on gravel in a turn. Most of them will have been going too fast or not paying attention to road conditions because they were too busy concentrating on something else. I guarantee you're not going to look cool if you go down in a turn because you were going too fast for road conditions. Some people can adjust when things get hairy in a turn, but the vast majorty can't or don't have the riding experience to avoid crashing when the situation changes dramatically.
The difference between crashing and not here was one of riding experience and skill. CC had it, I didn't. I can guarantee you he didn't get to be as good a rider as he is by trying to drag his knee on the street. As long as I've known him his #1 suggestion to riders like this is to take it to the track. If you're trying to drop a knee on a public road before you've done it on a track you're just asking for trouble.
If anything, the testosterone level of some of the riders on this forum has increased since I became a member here and it's a disturbing trend. I'm seeing more crashing happening earlier in the season than ever before and more disregard for the basics of safe motorcycling with every post. Safety should always be the first priority and some of these riders need to dial it down a bit when they are on public roads or they will inevitably pay the price.

I think the inexperience level (influx of new riders) is what you're seeing in this forum. New riders make mistakes. Rarely have I (please correct me if I'm wrong) seen/heard of riders on THIS forum who've had accidents from being squids. Most of the accidents seem to be rider inexperience. I think we, on this forum, are a pretty safe and level-headed bunch and a lot of the accidents are from gravel at this time of the year. After a long winter, everyone is anxious to get out and ride.

I think the older, more experienced riders on this forum could be a little more forgiving in their responses to crash victims.

(this is not directed to CC as I realize he is a premier jokester and most of his posts are laced with sarcasm (all in good fun)).

empyrean
March 30th, 2010, 01:34 PM
Although I feel bad for those of you that have crashed, at least you are learning from your mistakes and sharing them.

It has been a long time since I have been able to get back out on my bike (shoulder surgery, lost income...etc. ect.) I finally can get out, so I try to only go out with other more experienced riders so that I know that there is someone always there for me. I have also learned that I do NOT like to ride in high winds and will keep my bike parked the next time it's as windy out as last Saturday was. The wind at my back is nice. The wind at my side fighting to push me over, not so nice.

However, it seems that the most damage that has been done to my bike has been:
1. Wind knocking her over.
2. Someone trying to park on top of her (while she was parked and I was elsewhere)
3. Me trying to park her in stiletto heels and a bum shoulder that eventually was darn near totally surgically reattached.

I suppose my only suggestion would be to take it easy. Spring is here and it may have been a while since you rode last. I am being as vigilant as I possibly can be and making sure that I know where all the cars are all the time. Heck, cars even pass me while I'm out riding, not the other way around. Always better to be safe than to be sorry.

diablo250
March 30th, 2010, 04:03 PM
Argh! sorry to hear about that Adrian. Get at me if you need any help with the bike-i'd be glad to cruise down with KC and give a hand.

adri99an
March 30th, 2010, 05:07 PM
I'm still in for Saturday Ladies and Gents.....you can't keep me off my mountain....GMR is a place that reminds me of the power we have between our legs (our ninjettes of course) and just because I ate **** Sunday doens't mean I quit riding...it means I take a good hard look at what I didn't do that I needed to do.....

KC and Diablo -after we ride...come over to my house and we'll have a few brews and take my bike apart....thanks for your help and POSITIVE feedback as well as criticism.

adri99an
March 30th, 2010, 05:13 PM
I've been riding for 10+ years and over the past few days I've really been reading and listening to all the POSITIVE comments on this thread.....the biggest thing I've learned is when you lay your bike down it does make you think about the power between our legs (the ninjette of course ladies) :)

I made a mistake and now am learning about what I did wrong....and I did A LOT WRONG!! What I hate is when a-holes (not directed at CC of course) post like their god's gift to riding......I guess belittling others is their way of making them feel like BIG perfect riders...I don't mind the criticism...but before you shoot your mouth off know all the facts....and one fact for sure is that you don't know me or my experiences as a rider....people make mistakes and sometimes there are times when we cannot avoid what is going to happen...

I didn't come to this forum to argue with a-holes (not directed at CC of course) I came here to learn, listen, meet some people and have a good time. Already- I can say that I have met good people (not directed at CC) who are positive and love to ride as I do.

diablo250
March 30th, 2010, 05:26 PM
Should I bringg my service manual?
Posted via Mobile Device

adri99an
March 30th, 2010, 05:33 PM

I don't drag my knee...never said I did....that's KCs thing...he pops wheelies and knee drags.......

I don't blast threw corners either.....

I don't practice hanging off either......

Get the facts straight....I crashed- made a mistake...that's a fact.

adri99an
March 30th, 2010, 05:37 PM
Should I bringg my service manual?
Posted via Mobile Device

It wouldn't hurt....:D

adri99an
March 30th, 2010, 05:42 PM
So sorry to hear. Glad your not hurt. At least you get to buy a new helmet.

How much would your premiums go up by if you claimed it? If possible to fix your bike for not too much, that might be the better route. I'm not sure about down there, but up here it takes 6 years for your premiums to back down after an At-Fault accident. Good luck man.

Oh, and try not to feel too personally attacked. It's important for all of us to learn from each others and our own mistakes. People are going to pick apart your crash, it's gonna suck. But hopefully we can keep this from happening again to someone else. Try to think of us noobs, every piece of critique helps us. So thanks for having the guts to post this anyways.

:hug:

Guts is right! People are on their soap boxes around here....if my crash helps you then I feel better already! I've been riding that mountian where I crashed for 2 years now---I've probably done that same turn 100 times...and the turn wasn't a tough one at all....gravel+dirt+debris+plus a lean equals a lay down....I wasn't trying to be Evil Kineval or a moron as some as made me out to be (where's my dunce cap when i need it)---it just happened...**** happens sometimes and so lesson learned....

adri99an
March 30th, 2010, 06:13 PM
If nothing else, I appreciate all the threads like this because they help me remember to be careful and to watch out for these things. We're all human here, and we all make mistakes. I don't see why we can't support people and help them learn. There are always going to be people crashing on this forum, especially considering the amount of growth we've had since I started. Let's try to keep up the "friendliest forum" reputation we have. I take pride in that, and it is the #1 thing that worries me about getting a bigger bike. I want to have friendly people to confide in, to be scrutinized and corrected, but not made to feel bad about my mistakes.

I'm finally getting the chance to go back to some earlier posts.....Now here's an intelligent rider.....

CC Cowboy
March 30th, 2010, 06:28 PM
I've been riding for 10+ years and over the past few days I've really been reading and listening to all the POSITIVE comments on this thread.....the biggest thing I've learned is when you lay your bike down it does make you think about the power between our legs (the ninjette of course ladies) :)

I made a mistake and now am learning about what I did wrong....and I did A LOT WRONG!! What I hate is when a-holes (not directed at CC of course) post like their god's gift to riding......I guess belittling others is their way of making them feel like BIG perfect riders...I don't mind the criticism...but before you shoot your mouth off know all the facts....and one fact for sure is that you don't know me or my experiences as a rider....people make mistakes and sometimes there are times when we cannot avoid what is going to happen...

I didn't come to this forum to argue with a-holes (not directed at CC of course) I came here to learn, listen, meet some people and have a good time. Already- I can say that I have met good people (not directed at CC) who are positive and love to ride as I do.

I feel the love!

Alex
March 30th, 2010, 06:29 PM
Hi Adrian - you're exactly right, we're all human and we all make mistakes. Glad you're OK, and hope the bike is in great shape right quick. The concern of some is that riders who crash don't truly admit to those mistakes. Doesn't matter a whit whether they admit it to their friends, this site, or anyone else, actually. Matters if they don't admit it to themselves, as then they may be less likely to figure out what changes to make in their riding so it doesn't happen again. You crashed. You made a mistake. If you had done things differently (identified the hazards, avoided the debris, put less lean angle/other inputs to the bike while on the debris), it's entirely possible that you wouldn't have crashed. That's the whole point of why people react the way they do (each and every time) to threads like this. It's not to antagonize you, it's not to make the site seem unfriendly, and it's truly to get all folks here on the same page in terms of the basic tenet: Crashing is not OK. Something went terribly wrong for it to have happened, and what can you (we) do differently so it's highly unlikely to happen again. Right?

adri99an
March 30th, 2010, 07:12 PM
Hi Adrian - you're exactly right, we're all human and we all make mistakes. Glad you're OK, and hope the bike is in great shape right quick. The concern of some is that riders who crash don't truly admit to those mistakes. Doesn't matter a whit whether they admit it to their friends, this site, or anyone else, actually. Matters if they don't admit it to themselves, as then they may be less likely to figure out what changes to make in their riding so it doesn't happen again. You crashed. You made a mistake. If you had done things differently (identified the hazards, avoided the debris, put less lean angle/other inputs to the bike while on the debris), it's entirely possible that you wouldn't have crashed. That's the whole point of why people react the way they do (each and every time) to threads like this. It's not to antagonize you, it's not to make the site seem unfriendly, and it's truly to get all folks here on the same page in terms of the basic tenet: Crashing is not OK. Something went terribly wrong for it to have happened, and what can you (we) do differently so it's highly unlikely to happen again. Right?

Alex- as the founder and CEO of this forum your opinion is truly valued....I guess as a grown educated man that loves to ride as we all do....I don't appreciate being talked down to...ridiculed....or called names....so when someone comes out talking nonsense- I take offense as any other person would. I have to remember there's all kinds of morons in the world and so be it--they have opinions too.

I admitted I made a mistake Alex and was hesitant to start this thread- seeing that KCs videotaped crashed also had jerk offs mouthing off. Just because someone is considered a jokester and uses sarcasm....doesn't mean it's okay to treat others with little respect---isn't that one of the rules of this forum? A "friendly" forum....not so friendly when people are talking trash....calling people names....(dammit where's my dunce cap?) Alex- honestly....maybe people should adhere to being respectful and friendly? To me- it makes me laugh but doesn't make me want to share....

So back to what went terribly wrong Alex --because it is why I started this thread....I remember going into the turn...it was a left handed u shaped turn...I chose my line....leaned the bike....and maybe about 3/4 of the way through the bike went from right under me.....thinking back...I don't know what I could've done....when I picked my bike up...I noticed there was a small amound of grvel and dirt.....I thought to myself that must be why the bike slid out from under me.....I didn't have enough time to recognize the debris and avoid it as I was in a lean and had some decent speed.....my mistake if I had to go back....of course slow down.....before the turn and avoid the debris....the turn was a u-shaped turn...I think I was looking farther ahead than normal and not so much what was on the road....it wasn't a lot of debris just just enough ....

Alex
March 30th, 2010, 07:37 PM
Makes sense. Nobody here but you knows exactly what the conditions were, exactly what the bike was doing at the time, and exactly how you reacted when the bike started doing something unexpected underneath you. Unseen debris is a pain in the ass, and can certainly be surprising. I have a hunch that you're never going to be surprised at that particular corner again. :) If we ride enough miles, we're all going to come across a whole bunch of unexpected things in the road, and even if we avoid most, we're going to run over a portion of it. The trick to keeping the shiny parts of the bike shiny is that after the first event happens (bike runs over debris), the second event is using the time/traction/space in reserve to keep the bike from hitting the ground. Maxes out the event to possible underwear change, rather than a plastics/fairings change. I guess IMO, and only IMO, if I hit unseen debris in the road, and that causes the bike to get so out of control that it's on the ground before I can react, I was either going to quickly in the corner with not enough margin (lean angle / space), or I wasn't being observant enough to see something so large & significant that it didn't allow me that time/space to recover. At least that's the hope. It has kept my bikes off their side for most of their lives, most of them make it through our entire ownership without ever hitting the deck, and I'll do what I can to keep on keeping on. Folks like Sailariel and others on this site (and other sites) with decades and decades without an accident show that it's possble... :thumbup:

adri99an
March 30th, 2010, 07:55 PM
I guess IMO, and only IMO, if I hit unseen debris in the road, and that causes the bike to get so out of control that it's on the ground before I can react, I was either going to quickly in the corner with not enough margin (lean angle / space), or I wasn't being observant enough to see something so large & significant that it didn't allow me that time/space to recover.

That makes a lot of sense Alex....up until the crash I had been riding in the canyon with plenty of success....maybe 1 1/2 hours....lots of good turns and leans..decent to great lines.....I don't push it much up there...being away from civilization...no cell phone service.....idiots in their Acuras....I'm no dare devil or racer...just a regular guy with a wife and two small kids loving what I do....maybe I had a little too much pepper at the end of the turn....since I didn't have time to react I think that may be it....I HAVE been in that situation before and have avoided debris or a boulder or even a rider in my lane around a blind corner and have recovered....the law of averages are against us.....I know when we ride something is and will happen to all of us one day....this forum is excellent to let others that have experience help those who don't. I ride that canyon once to twice to sometimes three times a week and can say it's not like street riding....it's dangerous, it's exciting, it's why I ride.

kkim
March 30th, 2010, 08:10 PM
ever consider taking it to the track?

Verus Cidere
March 30th, 2010, 08:31 PM
I think I was looking farther ahead than normal and not so much what was on the road...

On this note, I was taught in the MSF course to look where I want to go when I'm turning. How do you balance that technique with looking at the road for obstacles? Is slowing down the only method, because that's all I've managed to figure out, and in some situations it makes for cagers that are far too close for comfort behind me.

Betlog
March 30th, 2010, 09:42 PM
Adrian, sorry to hear bro. Is it possible that the tires might have added to the accident. If I recall correctly, you are currently running BT003RS' in 150 size, yes? Some say that tire in that specific size is too big for the rims and is way too pinched (compared to say the BT016). Because it is pinched, you have less traction at certain lean angles. Regardless, I think everyone here is glad you are safe. I hope to come ride when you guys some day but I know I am nowhere near the level of rider to be riding in those canyons.

tapdiggy
March 30th, 2010, 11:06 PM
On this note, I was taught in the MSF course to look where I want to go when I'm turning. How do you balance that technique with looking at the road for obstacles? Is slowing down the only method, because that's all I've managed to figure out, and in some situations it makes for cagers that are far too close for comfort behind me.

Think multi-tasking. If you are looking where you want to go at all times, then really see what is in your desired line, and adjust as needed.

If you have trouble preparing in the time it takes to reach an observed trouble spot, slow up a bit and work up to being "good" at your desired speed.

O, I almost forgot *insert flame comment here*

karlosdajackal
March 31st, 2010, 12:52 AM

Read Twist of the Wrist 2, it explains it all...

They have a drill where you sit on a chair and look at a wall in your house. You fix your gaze in one spot and try name off all the things you can see without moving your eyes. Surprisingly you will find you're aware of everything that's on that wall. Then you repeat the drill only this time you move your eyes to look at everything directly and surprisingly it takes much longer to spot everything. Your putting more effort into looking around and if anything its making the job harder and slower.

So the trick is to train yourself to be aware of things your not looking directly at. If you looking directly at something usually your missing something else. So look down the road, but train yourself to be aware of more.

Thats just one page of the book, the others are just as helpful....

It's easy to practice too, as I look at my screen typing this, I can see a bunch of stuff in my peripheral without actually looking directly at it. Like both my phones. I'd be able to tell if someone rang me on either of them, of course I'd have to look directly to see who is calling, but the point is if your looking down the road and you see an rough surface, or a circular pattern in your peripheral you know its going to be sand/gravel or a manhole/pothole without actually needed to look directly at it, instead of putting effort into looking then reacting, you should have already reacted to your peripheral vision.

At least you can practice this when your not on the bike ;)

TrueFaith
March 31st, 2010, 08:45 AM
Rule number whatever!
Don't follow too close. You have to see the whole turn so you
can prepare to ride the safest line. CC shifed his body weight to cut
to the area of least gravel. If you kept your distance, you most like would
have made it thru too!

I had plenty of distance behind him. He was already through the turn and trying to point out the hazard when I came into the intersection. Even at the relatively slow speed I was travelling, I still came in too hot to adjust in time to both the turn and the lack of traction. I could have done one or the other, but ended up doing neither. I was lucky to reduce my speed enough in the second before I hit the gravel that the accident wasn't worse. I simply wasn't paying enough attention or looking far enough ahead (or close enough at the road) to see the gravel in time.

I think the inexperience level (influx of new riders) is what you're seeing in this forum. New riders make mistakes. Rarely have I (please correct me if I'm wrong) seen/heard of riders on THIS forum who've had accidents from being squids. Most of the accidents seem to be rider inexperience. I think we, on this forum, are a pretty safe and level-headed bunch and a lot of the accidents are from gravel at this time of the year. After a long winter, everyone is anxious to get out and ride.

I think the older, more experienced riders on this forum could be a little more forgiving in their responses to crash victims.

(this is not directed to CC as I realize he is a premier jokester and most of his posts are laced with sarcasm (all in good fun)).

I think gravel brings down more new riders than anything else they're going to face. If you're riding at the upper limit of your skills any unexpected or overlooked road hazard is going to up the ante dramatically. With all the budget cuts in public works departments, the condition of the roads is the worst it's ever been. Sand and gravel are everywhere and removing it for the convienience and safety of motorcyclists is a low priority. I see many more crashes caused by sand & gravel than anything else posted on forums. New riders still don't seem to get the message though and continue to push the limits on crappy public roads and then act surprised when there's gravel all over the turn they dragged their knee on the day before.

I don't drag my knee...never said I did....that's KCs thing...he pops wheelies and knee drags.......

I don't blast threw corners either.....

I don't practice hanging off either......

Get the facts straight....I crashed- made a mistake...that's a fact.

Sorry, just reacting to all these recent crashing threads so early in the season. I'm not directing this at anyone. I appreciate these threads getting the word out about being safer on the street. There are probably 4 or 5 other crashes to every one posted that you never hear about. I got a lot of negative crap when I posted about my accident too, but I also got some priceless advice and insight I wouldn't have otherwise.
2-wheel vehicles do not perform well on gravel and it's not always easy to spot at a distance. Most of these crashes can be avoided by riding slower and paying attention to the road more, mine included. It's not rocket science why these crashes happen. Slow down and pay more attention and you'll crash a whole lot less. Mistakes are no big whoop as long as there's no lasting damage and you learn from them, right?

CC Cowboy
March 31st, 2010, 09:40 AM
Alex- as the founder and CEO of this forum your opinion is truly valued....I guess as a grown educated man that loves to ride as we all do....I don't appreciate being talked down to...ridiculed....or called names....so when someone comes out talking nonsense- I take offense as any other person would. I have to remember there's all kinds of morons in the world and so be it--they have opinions too.
I admitted I made a mistake Alex and was hesitant to start this thread- seeing that KCs videotaped crashed also had jerk offs mouthing off. Just because someone is considered a jokester and uses sarcasm....doesn't mean it's okay to treat others with little respect---isn't that one of the rules of this forum? A "friendly" forum....not so friendly when people are talking trash....calling people names....(dammit where's my dunce cap?) Alex- honestly....maybe people should adhere to being respectful and friendly? To me- it makes me laugh but doesn't make me want to share....

Dearest Adrian, I truly apologize for hurting your precious pride. Let me just say that everytime any of us go out for a ride we are putting our life on the line. It is a dangerous sport that we participate in (and want to enjoy for a long time). As a grown educated man I'm sure you know that it is up to ourselves to come back from every ride alive. Mistakes on a motorcycle not only end up being costly to the motorcycle but more important costly to your life and the lives of the people who love you.

I grew up in a military family, if any of you have been in the military you know that boot camp training not only gets you in shape but can also save your life in many of life's experiences. During this training there is little hand holding and much hardcore advice given out in a direct and forceful manner. Maybe motorcycists should be put through the same type of training before they are allowed to hit the streets. If skills are drilled in to the rider then avoiding dangerous situations might be second nature.

I'm sorry if you felt you were talked down to or ridiculed but I don't think the responses from me, or others, were nonsense. I respect you for not calling people names like "moron" or "jerk off" and adherring to the "friendly forum". It was a mistake for me to say you need to wear a dunce hat (I hate to see a grown man cry).

Everyone on this forum is looking out for the rest of the members. Crashing is no joke. There have been some members seriously hurt. It takes balls to admit, to the forum, you crashed. It takes bigger balls to listen to people telling you you shouldn't have crashed and why. Sometimes you need to swallow your pride and listen to what people are saying. They are only trying to help, no matter how they say it. It is meant to prevent you from crashing again. Crashing once is one time too many.

Flashmonkey
March 31st, 2010, 10:01 AM
Dearest Adrian, I truly apologize for hurting your precious pride. Let me just say that everytime any of us go out for a ride we are putting our life on the line. It is a dangerous sport that we participate in (and want to enjoy for a long time). As a grown educated man I'm sure you know that it is up to ourselves to come back from every ride alive. Mistakes on a motorcycle not only end up being costly to the motorcycle but more important costly to your life and the lives of the people who love you.

I grew up in a military family, if any of you have been in the military you know that boot camp training not only gets you in shape but can also save your life in many of life's experiences. During this training there is little hand holding and much hardcore advice given out in a direct and forceful manner. Maybe motorcycists should be put through the same type of training before they are allowed to hit the streets. If skills are drilled in to the rider then avoiding dangerous situations might be second nature.

I'm sorry if you felt you were talked down to or ridiculed but I don't think the responses from me, or others, were nonsense. I respect you for not calling people names like "moron" or "jerk off" and adherring to the "friendly forum". It was a mistake for me to say you need to wear a dunce hat (I hate to see a grown man cry).

Everyone on this forum is looking out for the rest of the members. Crashing is no joke. There have been some members seriously hurt. It takes balls to admit, to the forum, you crashed. It takes bigger balls to listen to people telling you you shouldn't have crashed and why. Sometimes you need to swallow your pride and listen to what people are saying. They are only trying to help, no matter how they say it. It is meant to prevent you from crashing again. Crashing once is one time too many.

*sigh* When CC becomes the voice of reason around here you know something's off kilter....bring back the whimsical posts!! :D

And to the OP...I'm glad you're not hurt. Mistakes and what not aside, we're pushing our luck out there on these machines as it is. Please, please be more careful than normal.

I get streaks of stupid too, I'll be the first to admit that, but crashing out on the streets shouldn't be acceptable to anybody. I'm not directing my comments to anyone, but more so putting this here so that it's said directly and can be read by everyone. There's this attitude out there that crashing is a normal part of riding a motorcycle, but it seriously shouldn't be. I consider crashing my car to be highly unnacceptable and will do everything in my power to avoid it. Why should falling/crashing on my bike be any different, if not even less acceptable given what's at stake?

currentsea
March 31st, 2010, 10:09 AM
Really glad you're okay Adriann, Man I got the chills reading it.
Hope you heal up okay.
Alex and I did the repairs on my bike after my spill at GMR

Scott1620
March 31st, 2010, 10:39 AM
Read Twist of the Wrist 2, it explains it all...

Good stuff, I just finished "Sport Riding Techniques" by Nick Ienatsch and am about half through Twist of the wrist 2. Both books are great. I definitely have a LOT better understanding of what is going on with the bike now and have a hell of a lot more respect for the racing aspect as well. :thumbup:

adri99an good luck getting your bike back together...

adri99an
March 31st, 2010, 12:26 PM
CC I am so touched you'd write me such a long love letter. Thank you so much. (Hearts in my eyes).
Posted via Mobile Device

CC Cowboy
March 31st, 2010, 12:32 PM
Feel the love, it's a rarity!

Kurosaki
March 31st, 2010, 12:37 PM
ever consider taking it to the track?

yeeaaaahh!!!!

adri99an
March 31st, 2010, 01:12 PM
CC....do you have a man crush on me?
Posted via Mobile Device

jcgirl
March 31st, 2010, 01:14 PM
Feel the love, it's a rarity!

GROUP HUG???

:grouphug:

:happy100:

Kurosaki
March 31st, 2010, 02:51 PM
CC....do you have a man crush on me?
Posted via Mobile Device

He's going to propose a mangagement to you.

Banzai
March 31st, 2010, 02:53 PM
While we're all group hugging, anyone know a book that can tell me how to avoid carnivorous man hole covers? :D:D:D:thumbup:

cnichols79us
March 31st, 2010, 05:33 PM
While we're all group hugging, anyone know a book that can tell me how to avoid carnivorous man hole covers? :D:D:D:thumbup:

That sounds TERRIBLE.:eek:

Samer
March 31st, 2010, 05:56 PM
....I don't appreciate being talked down to...ridiculed....or called names....there's all kinds of morons in the world

...also had jerk offs mouthing off....doesn't mean it's okay to treat others with little respect---

Wow. That trick deserves its own name. See what happened there. It wasn't okay for someone to call you names, but you didn't notice that you did the same thing, and in the same paragraph no less. Then you contradicted yourself again. That's called hypocrisy.

This is not directly related to the crash, but I'm 30 years old and by far, the best lesson I've learned is this: try to see things from other people's perspective. Put yourself in other people's shoes, or whatever variation you want. One subset of this advice is the so-called "golden rule".

In this particular case, if you had been practicing this ethic, you would have noticed this epic hypocrisy as you were typing. But I'd bet money that you didn't notice it until CC brought it up. He's much more comical and eloquent than I am, so pardon my poor writing skills. I'm an engineer :o

Peace out.

adri99an
March 31st, 2010, 06:18 PM
Oh Samer- I knew what I was doing...you're 30 and I'm much older than you...I don't need a lesson in jargon or English or word usage....

We're just ripping each other some new ones around here....but thanks for the definiton of hypocrisy....

empyrean
March 31st, 2010, 06:36 PM

You don't need a book, you need to...

Stop looking at:
1. your ipod/iphone
2. the hot soccer mom in her suburban next to you.
3. the bike you so want 10 car lengths a head of you.
4. your GPS because you probably already know where you're going.
5. the opposing traffic because you saw some hot chick in a convertible.
6. your hot new gloves.
7. trying to find the Off Button for your turn signals.
8. the bumper stickers on the hippie mobile in front of you.
9. the guy who's digging gold out of his nose.
10. the girl who just so PWNED you on her 250 because you were checking out her gear. Among other possible assets.

:D

empyrean
March 31st, 2010, 06:37 PM
God, I just love this forum! Y'all rock!

Samer
March 31st, 2010, 06:59 PM
Oh Samer- I knew what I was doing...you're 30 and I'm much older than you...I don't need a lesson in jargon or English or word usage....

We're just ripping each other some new ones around here....but thanks for the definiton of hypocrisy....

So it's okay to be a hypocrite if you're doing it on purpose? I'm just trying to understand your perspective. The common theme here is that you refuse to admit your mistakes. Are you okay with contradicting yourself in the same sentence? Everyone reading this thread knows you made a mistake, but the only person who needs to know it is you. Oh the irony.

If you're much older than 30 then it is taking you longer and you still haven't figured it out.

empyrean
March 31st, 2010, 07:15 PM
@Banzai

I just read your post about the tire eating, rim biting, bike munching post about your accident. I rescind the smarta$$ comments.... but at least they can be used for others that are NOT paying attention to the roads ahead of them.

<batting eyes>I hope you forgive me.</batting eyes>

littledog
March 31st, 2010, 07:52 PM
Many, perhaps most, of us are new riders. After all, we are reading and posting on the ninjette forums, the premier forums for the ninja 250. Which is sort of the defining example of "beginner motorcycle".

I am a beginner, I never owned a motorcycle until last November. I thought I would enjoy it. I do, more than I imagined. I have ridden 6k miles in 4 months through a very cold winter.

I would really like to retire this bike due to excessive miles, rather than have it see the fate of nearly all of its kind. I surely don't want to get hurt.

We all make mistakes. I made one today. There was a deer to my left, I did not see. It was running along the road. I got my hand on the brake lever just as it decided to run back into the forest, rather than run into the road. Deers are massively stupid about roads and traffic.

I am really glad that I am not posting about my wreck, that didn't happen today.

A long time ago, similar situation, I was in my old white chevy truck. That time the deer tried to cross, and rammed the side of my truck. Ruined the door panel on an already beat up truck. Im glad I was in a truck.

What was my mistake today?

I did not observe the deer until it was too late. Better observation skills, I can practice, and hopefully learn. Until then? Slow down! I was going 50 on a 45 county road. Sometimes, slow is better than fast. I am not an expert at observing road hazards, I am not an expert at motorcycle handling. Slower means more time to observe hazards, more time to evade them.

Today, the deer reminded me to take it slow.

Deer, gravel, crushed pop bottles, CARS THAT VIOLATE YOUR RIGHT OF WAY, whatever. It should not be in the road, in your path, but it is. Will 1 extra second allow you to avoid the danger? How about 1/2 second? What about 1/10 of a second?

That 1, 1/2 , 1/10 of a second, is a better chance of saying "Whew Im glad I avoided that.

Better than posting a message about your messed up bike and how your gear saved you.

Better than not posting for a while and then a story of how you got hurt.

Better than a post from your next of kin.

If you were in basic training in the Army preparing to go into dangerous combat, and something happens that is obviously not great, and a sharp tongued drill sergeant tells you that you should sit in the corner wearing a dunce cap...

It is fine to cuss him under your breath.

And yes he is an asshole, just like all of us are from time to time.

But he is a survivor. If you want to be a survivor too, find the helpful advice among the insults.

I THOUGHT I had found that advice. The retard deer reminded me today. I am not the great at observing dangers on the road, I am not great at motorcycle handling.

I still want to ride. Given my options, I'd rather slow down a bit today, than be laid up, or worse, tomorrow.

adri99an
April 1st, 2010, 06:52 AM
So it's okay to be a hypocrite if you're doing it on purpose? I'm just trying to understand your perspective. The common theme here is that you refuse to admit your mistakes. Are you okay with contradicting yourself in the same sentence? Everyone reading this thread knows you made a mistake, but the only person who needs to know it is you. Oh the irony.

If you're much older than 30 then it is taking you longer and you still haven't figured it out.

Dr. Samer what brand of high horse do you ride....ok here it goes....my right hand is up..."I Adri99an....owner of a ninjette...made a mistake while riding.". Wow Doc...I feel free and liberated. Do you accept Blue Cross?
Posted via Mobile Device

adri99an
April 1st, 2010, 07:01 AM
Ladies and Gents....I am in awe of all the wonderful advice...stories....jokes....and knowledge that is being presented in this thread. Thank you all so much and please keep them coming...especially the laughs because my ribs are so sore when I laugh I'm in pain...which reminds me of my mistake (samer) I made in the canyon.
Posted via Mobile Device

Samer
April 1st, 2010, 09:27 AM
Dr. Samer what brand of high horse do you ride....ok here it goes....my right hand is up..."I Adri99an....owner of a ninjette...made a mistake while riding.". Wow Doc...I feel free and liberated. Do you accept Blue Cross?
Posted via Mobile Device

I'm proud of you. Seriously. I mean, you're being a little sarcastic, but there's some truth there, I believe. I'm not perfect, and I'm the first to admit it.

There were two mistakes I was referring to. The main one I was referring to is that you contradicted yourself, then pretended that you did it on purpose instead of just admitting that you goofed by complaining about other peoples insults while dishing out insults of your own in the same post.

Cheers,
Dr. Samer (Actually I only have an M.S., no PhD yet)

cwb48
April 1st, 2010, 01:03 PM

This may qualify as the understatement of the century!

Chris