View Full Version : wrecked

zach
April 3rd, 2010, 11:22 AM
Well, I know I haven't been on much lately, been waiting for it to warm up a bit. Finally started warming up and I had my first and last ride of the warming weather on Wednesday.

I was driving on a six lane highway in the outside lane (right hand lane). Was approaching an auto shop on the right hand side of the road at which time a Corvette, which had no one in it and was on jacks, fell off of the jacks and rolled backwards into the highway. I attempted to swerve to the middle lane but there was a large truck there. I straightened out and attempted to brake, but struck the right rear quarter panel of the Corvette, which then pushed me into the side of the truck, at which time I fell underneath the truck which ran over my thighs. Been in the hospital three days now and probably will be here at least two more. Hopefully no permanent damage, but doc says probably about six weeks til I'm back to normal. Luckily, I had God and a helmet on my side or I probably would have been a goner. Make sure you guys wear your gear and be safe, this definitely doesn't feel good. Never know what might come out of nowhere and hit you.

Take care guys. If I can ever get on another 250 again I'll be back here.

http://www.nwfdailynews.com/news/motorcyclist-27507-beach-photo.html

ninjabrewer
April 3rd, 2010, 11:27 AM
HOLY COW, dude, glad to hear that you lived though that with no permanent injuries. That really sucks. I hope and pray that everything will be ok with you in the future, and just because you don't have a 250 doesn't mean you can't stay on the forum, so stick around.

Cab305
April 3rd, 2010, 11:31 AM
Good thing you are ok, hope you feel better soon.

Wow, that is crappy! Taken out by a loose vette.
I hope someone's insurance is taking care of this.

If you don't mind, how fast were you traveling, before starting to break?

zach
April 3rd, 2010, 11:38 AM
They estimated I was going 25 upon impact. I know I wasn't going above 35, so somewhere between 30 and 35. I didn't have much time to brake at all. I tried to swerve knowing I didn't have enough braking space, but that didn't work out.

kkim
April 3rd, 2010, 11:47 AM
Glad to see you made it out of that one, though your leg injuries don't sound minor by any stretch of the imagination.

Please stick around and let us know how you progress.

Best of luck for a speedy and full recovery. :thumbup:

Greg_E
April 3rd, 2010, 12:14 PM
SO... WHat law firm are you going to contact? I'd want to be certain that either the shop of the truck covered my medical bills for all eternity. Not really the trucks fault, but they probably have better insurance. I would certainly contact one of the local shiesters, most of them don't charge unless you get paid so it's little risk to you. I'd pick out a nice NEW bike for them to buy you too!

lockie
April 3rd, 2010, 12:21 PM
WOW So glad you made it through this. take it easy on the legs and let them recover. Time is on your side.

It's another reminder to take care out there and wear the gear.

CC Cowboy
April 3rd, 2010, 12:24 PM
SO... WHat law firm are you going to contact? I'd want to be certain that either the shop of the truck covered my medical bills for all eternity. Not really the trucks fault, but they probably have better insurance. I would certainly contact one of the local shiesters, most of them don't charge unless you get paid so it's little risk to you. I'd pick out a nice NEW bike for them to buy you too!

I pick the best lawyer in the area. Interview a few, get the BEST.

Good to hear you're OK (or should I say in one piece). Don't forget to stay medicated.

Alex
April 3rd, 2010, 12:25 PM
That's a weird one! Seems like it could have been so much worse as well, very happy you're going to come through this OK!

CC Cowboy
April 3rd, 2010, 12:47 PM
Not to be critical but, I'd rather go over the car (Corvette's aren't that high) than under the truck.

edbro
April 3rd, 2010, 12:52 PM
Doesn't seem like it was the truck's fault that he ran over you. The autoshop should be the one you go after.

jcgirl
April 3rd, 2010, 01:25 PM
WOW.. I'm so glad that your still around to be posting. I'm sending you some serious healing vibes. Please keep us posted on how this develops. Wish you all the best.

cnichols79us
April 3rd, 2010, 01:58 PM
Damn Man. Get well soon and keep us updated.

zach
April 3rd, 2010, 02:30 PM
Already have a lawyer, who has already had the ball rolling since about two hours after I got hit. The owner of the shop was negligent in, not placing blocks behind the corvette, and leaving it unattended while running on jacks. The truck driver has called me several times in the hospital and is very worried, but I keep telling him it wasn't his fault. And I understand you would rather go over the corvette, but in the split second, I tried to swerve around it and hit the end of it which threw me into the air and into the truck and then under it, wasn't much I could do about it. My girlfriend went to the area a couple of hours ago and tried to find any possible security camera footage but ended up talking to several witnesses. Learned a few more things. 1. I flew about fifteen feet before hitting the truck and getting ran over. 2. After the truck ran me over I got up and tried to get out of the road, at which time I just collapsed, which explains why I was near the curb when I came to. And 3. Several witnesses said there was a car behind me with an infant in the backseat and are 100 percent believers that if it wasn't me, it would have been the infant. I'll take it.

Thanks for the kind words guys, it means a lot. I really hope this isn't the end of my riding career, but I gotta say, it will probably be the beginning of a long break haha.

Snake
April 3rd, 2010, 03:22 PM
Wow that is quite an accident. Glad to hear you are ok and had all your gear on. I hope you heal quickly. Take care.

HKr1
April 3rd, 2010, 03:41 PM
http://www.nwfdailynews.com/news/motorcyclist-27507-beach-photo.html

Your K-9 crestucky cop? :)

Holy crap! A vette just rolling out into the street.......... :eek:
Glad to hear your doing good from that, hope you get better/out soon.

JeffM
April 3rd, 2010, 04:35 PM
Wow. Get well and keep all of us posted on your progress. Just wow!

Jeff

bob706
April 3rd, 2010, 04:42 PM
Goddamm, Zach! I read the story in the paper but didn't know it was you. Hope you get better soon.

zach
April 3rd, 2010, 04:53 PM
Yep, unfortunately. Be careful around here man haha.

dive1tom
April 3rd, 2010, 05:00 PM
Zach glad your ok, Now hows the bike?:)

Being In Florida wearing a helmet? You are a smart guy! Is there anytime you dont put in on. If it wasn't the law in Tennessee I might be tempted.

BlueRaven
April 3rd, 2010, 05:37 PM
Amazing to hear you made it through that experience. I hope you heal well and like cc said stay medicated.

I hope you will get the guts to get back in that saddle sometime in the future but til then take it easy.

littledog
April 3rd, 2010, 06:27 PM
Thank God you survived that. Get well.

noche_caliente
April 3rd, 2010, 06:37 PM
My goodness Zach - sounds like the big Guy really was on your side! I'm so sorry this happened! Please keep us updated on your progress.

cnichols79us
April 4th, 2010, 01:41 AM
The more I think about this the more I have a hard time with it. REALLY glad you made it out Brother. Heal up.

ScraitT
April 4th, 2010, 05:27 AM
Several witnesses said there was a car behind me with an infant in the backseat and are 100 percent believers that if it wasn't me, it would have been the infant. I'll take it. .

Horrible accident, but it's nice to see that there are still people out there that care more about others then themselves.

Rest and heal fast.

chokne
April 4th, 2010, 05:51 AM
That's really unfortunate Zach, glad to hear you're still among us!

*sending you my healing powers*

binlagin
April 4th, 2010, 05:55 AM
Absolutely crazy... I'm glad that your still here and with us. Heal up quick and...

I hope you sue the living CRAP out of that auto body shop and trucker.

How ever... could you elaborate how the car rolled off the blocks and into the street? How long did it roll? Was it on a corner of a street? Was the car visually blocked by an advertisement street sign? What colour was the car? Where you distracted moments before noticing the car rolling into the street? What was the truck driver doing? Did you pass the truck driver on the right side before the accident?

Without some other chain of events/distractions... How does a car can roll off blocks, out of a drive way and into traffic without you or the trucker noticing and stopping completely.

One thing I'm really beginning to realize is... accidents don't usually happen because one thing goes wrong. It's usually a chain of events that lead up to an accident. If your feeling up to it.. could you post some more details leading up to the incident?

carpediem
April 4th, 2010, 06:01 AM
That's just crazy! You definitely are lucky your injuries were not worse. Take care.

zach
April 4th, 2010, 08:19 AM
Hey guys it's Easter Sunday, been in the hospital still since Wednesday. I'm able to walk on my own but cannot bend my legs very far. Doctors are keeping me here due to the toxins released from the muscles during a crushing trauma. The normal cell count of these toxins I was told are around 100 or less in a healthy person, mine were around 1600 as of yesterday. If the toxins continue to stay in my body and I don't have the constant IV flow and don't urinate enough I could have kidney failure. I was told once the toxins begin to decrease I can go ahead and go home and begin physical therapy. Kidneys are holding up nicely so they are definitely trying, so that's good news. Alright on to try to give more details reference Binlagen's post:

"How ever... could you elaborate how the car rolled off the blocks and into the street? How long did it roll? Was it on a corner of a street? Was the car visually blocked by an advertisement street sign? What colour was the car? Where you distracted moments before noticing the car rolling into the street? What was the truck driver doing? Did you pass the truck driver on the right side before the accident?"

It's unknown exactly how the Corvette fell off of the jacks. The owner of the shop was working on the Corvette and did not place blocks behind the rear wheels and walked away from the Corvette for less than a minute during which time it somehow fell off of the jacks and rolled back into the highway where I hit it. It rolled I would have to guess about forty feet. It was not a corner or behind anything and it was like a gold or tan color from what I can remember. I wasn't distracted, in fact I saw the Corvette as I was approaching the shop which was on my right hand side. I was told the older Corvette models had a problem with popping themselves into gear. It's believed when the Corvette fell off of the jacks it popped into reverse. I'm telling you now, I saw the corvette parked, and I saw the Corvette as it came out into traffic. It was moving, not rolling. I didn't have time to stop. I attempted to swerve to the left but didn't have time and that's when I ran into the right rear quarter panel of the Corvette. The driver of the truck was in the center lane, to the left of me. When I hit the Corvette, I got sent flying into the truck which I then fell under, getting my thigh ran over. The truck driver was not at fault. There was nothing he or I could do to avoid it. The way this would have been avoided would have been better care from the shop owner, instead of pure negligence. I apparently blacked out after the impact for approximately thirty seconds. I was told yesterday by witnesses that after the truck ran over my leg, I stood up and attempted to run out of the street but collapsed, which explains why I was closer to the curb when I came to, even though I knew I got hit at the line between the right hand lane and center lane.

Thanks again for all the kind words and your prayers are appreciated. This is the longest I've been stuck in a bed or inside anywhere and I'm starting to go stir crazy haha. I'll be around. Be safe folks.

austexjg
April 4th, 2010, 08:25 AM
Hope you heal to a 100%...

binlagin
April 4th, 2010, 12:34 PM
Thanks for the reply. Maybe i was a little over zealous about the suing the truck driver. Sounds like he's getting a crappy end of the stick too. Glad had your gear on and that your walking under your own power (although painfully).

Keep us posted on you and your bikes recovery. Stay positive and heal up!

cwb48
April 7th, 2010, 09:54 AM
Zach;
I saw the photos of the accident scene- this is the scenario that most of us experienced riders fear the most, the objective danger that's totally out of your control. I hope you are doing much better every day.

I was impressed by your comment about the person behind you with the baby in the car seat. It's heartening to me that there are still young people with your character who are interested in serving their community, and I'm proud that you are a member of Ninjette.org.

Chris

zach
May 23rd, 2013, 05:38 PM
Hey everyone, it's been a while. Came back to ask a question about the wife's 250 and saw this thread and realized I never gave a conclusion. Still have trouble with my right thigh any time I run or use it a lot the muscle tenses up, guess I'm dealing with that forever now haha. Other than that forever pain in the butt the rest of me pretty much healed up. The truck driver wasn't at any fault, which I didn't expect him to be. He was a very nice guy and I spoke with him a few times after everything, can't blame him for anything. Sued the shop. Settled out of court. Bought a brand new 650 in 2011 to replace ol Stella.

Lets go riding.

crazymadbastard
May 23rd, 2013, 07:08 PM
Glad you are ok. This was a freaky ass accident for sure

rojoracing53
May 23rd, 2013, 07:35 PM
First off crazy story

Second glad your ok for the most part and back on a bike

Third when the hell are you noobs going to learn how to just do this in said situation :doh:
VgWM_NufDic

koma22
May 23rd, 2013, 08:29 PM
Thanks for the update.

Glad to hear you're doing well!

Panda
May 23rd, 2013, 08:57 PM
Wow...really happy to hear you are doing better and still riding.

250rr
May 24th, 2013, 12:36 PM
Going under a truck. This has become my 2nd greatest fear.

250rr
May 24th, 2013, 12:40 PM
My greatest fear is being beaten and left for dead in a Brazilian brothel.

Alex
May 24th, 2013, 01:07 PM
Before or after?

250rr
May 24th, 2013, 01:10 PM
Before or after?

I could care less after. :D

Madman44
May 24th, 2013, 08:41 PM
Glad to hear you're alright.

How long did it take for you to recieve settlement? I also wrecked at the hands of another and just wanted a general ball-park estimate.

Ride safe bro!

Live2ride
May 25th, 2013, 06:34 AM
Before or after?

:rotflmao:

Live2ride
May 25th, 2013, 06:39 AM
glad to hear you're safe and sound!