View Full Version : How to Ride In Gusty Wind

RedNinja09
April 4th, 2010, 01:23 PM
Hey Guys,

I was out taking a ride today, it was windy, I didnt think it was that bad. But, the gusts were TERRIBLE. I felt the bike being blown, to the point where I was losing control of the bike. It freaked the **** out of me. I made it home ok, but it scared me. What is the best way to ride out those gusts ?

I crouched down low and that helped but, should I steer into the gust or countersteer ? This bike is little and light and I personally wouldnt recommend riding in extreme winds. I was blown around like a rag doll....

Red

bdavison
April 4th, 2010, 02:34 PM
The trick is using a light grip on the bars, and keeping your elbows relaxed and bent.
The bike is going to move around underneath you, but you just let it. The more relaxed you stay, the easier it is.

If you white knuckle it, and tense up, it will be a very un-enjoyable ride.

caliente103
April 4th, 2010, 03:02 PM
and slow down
Posted via Mobile Device

kkim
April 4th, 2010, 03:03 PM
http://www.ninjette.org/forums/showthread.php?t=11498

Cedilla
April 4th, 2010, 04:06 PM
The trick is using a light grip on the bars, and keeping your elbows relaxed and bent.
The bike is going to move around underneath you, but you just let it. The more relaxed you stay, the easier it is.

and slow down
Posted via Mobile Device

What they said.

RedNinja09
April 4th, 2010, 05:07 PM
Yeah, I instinctively slowed down. I had to, to control the bike better. I have to admit, I was VERY tense and had a death grip on the handlebars. And the experiance was NOT enjoyable. All I kept saying in my mind was "Please just let me get home." It was my first super windy ride and I did not like it.

I was trying to fight to keep the bike upright and it was a fight. Good tips guys...

kenji_808
April 4th, 2010, 05:15 PM
i feel the same way when i ride to work
recently down here in hawaii we've had some pretty strong gusts 30+ MPH!!!!!

i get scared shitless when the wind leans my bike over
i admit i tense up alot when this happens, at least now i know not to do that

thanks for tip guys
Posted via Mobile Device

Cedilla
April 4th, 2010, 05:22 PM
Tensing up makes things so much worse, because the wind is hitting your shoulders the hardest. Next time your on the bike take your hands off the bars, and push one of the bar ends with your finger, that should pretty much explain why the wind is so much worse when you have a death grip on the bars.:)

BlueRaven
April 4th, 2010, 05:26 PM
The trick i use to relax my grip is to squeeze the tank with my thighs, don't know why it works but it just does.

Postiez
April 4th, 2010, 08:57 PM
On my way to school i pass the right next to the mouth of the canyon to one side and a giant mine to the other and its always insanely windy in the mornings there. All the trees grow sidways and when they do construction all the flags get ripped to shreds. I just position myself in the road so i don't get blown into other lanes or into the middle, slow down and ride though. I have almost went into the center a few times and I have heard stories of people having the bike blown out from under them while riding there. Teh scaries.

Angel-be-Good
April 4th, 2010, 09:11 PM

Precisely.

and slow down
Posted via Mobile Device
Naw...

CodE-E
April 5th, 2010, 02:58 AM
When I did my motorcycling license, my instructor told me to always just put one foot down when stopped at a red light. That's what I did on a very windy day, and the wind pushed me and the Hornet over. :o

From now on, I always put both feet down firmly when it's very windy and I've got to stop.

ninja250
April 5th, 2010, 04:07 AM
I've rode in very high winds in Mohave/Palmdale area.
When they are constant you can ride down the freeway at a 75 degree angle :D It has to trip out the cars.
My gixxer had much less problems with this.

Kinda creepy when they are gusty. I just anticipate them and lean into the winds a little bit while maintaining the regular loose elbows and tight pinch on the tank with my knees..

This bike wiggles all over the place in any conditions.

250rinblack
April 5th, 2010, 04:15 AM
Try sticking a knee out a little on the side the wind is coming from...the previous owner of my Ninja told me that and it seemed to work. And the advice others have given about not tensing up is applicable too...sometimes easier said than done but it helps.

bdavison
April 5th, 2010, 06:15 AM
250rinblack....
Yes, thats true too....ive done that a few times. Your knee kinda acts like a rudder scoop deal that tends to stabilize the bike. But this only works well with steady crosswinds, it doesnt work to well with gusting winds.

There is a section of the interstate here between Warner Robins, and Macon, that for some reason is like riding through a hurricane during certain times of the day. It will really pound you. I just relax and let it do its thing, but it would totally freak out anybody that wasnt expecting it. And its sudden...it will be dead calm and smooth, and then all of a sudden WHAM...the bike is going nuts for about 2 miles before it calms down again.

karlosdajackal
April 6th, 2010, 01:11 AM
Its all about the death grip, was riding in gusts and rain this morning. Nice loose grip (as you should have even when its not windy).

Remember also the front wheel does tend to steer around bumps, it needs to especially when leaned over but also a little when upright. Some of the bump is absorbed by the tire flex, some by the shock and some by the steering moving. You can't hold the steering still, it needs to move. If you where strong enough to hold it still the whole bike would have wobble.

The wind is no different if you let it move the bike a little, it corrects itself, if you fight it then the movement just build and builds until it overpowers you and turns a small movement into a lane change.

I had the camera going, I should upload the vid later this week.