View Full Version : DIY Free Fender Elimination

ninjaman93
April 4th, 2010, 07:06 PM
I removed the fender and license plate. I was lucky enough to find the perfect size "L" brackets in my garage, and bolted them onto the bolts below the rear light. I drilled two small holes in my license plate (the pre-drilled holes were too far away from each other) and bolted them to the brackets. Finally, I used a CD case for the license plate light.. It took about an hour, and saved me $100. :thumbup:

CZroe
April 5th, 2010, 01:12 AM
Looks nice! Good job.

Snake
April 5th, 2010, 08:26 AM
Looks nice and clean! Great job.

CZroe
April 5th, 2010, 12:17 PM
It's too bad it isn't so easy for the new gen. :(

ashish87
April 5th, 2010, 06:00 PM
looks good! how did you hack the inner fender? what tools did you use?

bdavison
April 5th, 2010, 06:26 PM
The new gen is a piece of cake...just slice it off.
Shoot mail it to me and Ill slice it off for you.

ninjaman93
April 6th, 2010, 12:24 AM
looks good! how did you hack the inner fender? what tools did you use?

There was actually no hacking involved. i just removed the bolts for the fender under the seat. I can just bolt the fender back on if I ever decide to.:)

CZroe
April 6th, 2010, 02:21 AM
The new gen is a piece of cake...just slice it off.
Shoot mail it to me and Ill slice it off for you.

A) That's irreversably modifies the stock parts
B) It doesn't meet legal requirements (tag light)

The pre-gen's red lens has a little segment that can be popped right out of the tail light to cast white light down on the tag. All it needs is something clear to keep water and such from entering. The turn signals can also be integrated with the three-segment tail light extremely easily. The segments were probably made for doing that from the factory but it doesn't meet DOT regs (too close), hence, the fender with stalky blinkers.

bdavison
April 6th, 2010, 06:15 AM
Seriously, are you ever gonna go back to stock?

If you really want the tag light, it can be done easily too. Just stop by any autoparts store and pick up one of these little lights. They run around $4 bucks, and are pretty simple to wire right into the existing wiring.

ashish87
April 6th, 2010, 09:51 AM
There was actually no hacking involved. i just removed the bolts for the fender under the seat. I can just bolt the fender back on if I ever decide to.:)

Oh wow that's interesting. Thanks for the info!

JBar215
May 30th, 2010, 10:07 PM
I've been thinking about doing something like this, but what does this do to your trunk?