View Full Version : Question, is it all in my mind?

drowe531
April 7th, 2010, 07:28 AM
Yesterday for the first time in my short riding history I locked up the rear tire. I kept pressure on the rear break (like i'm supposed to I think) and did eventually stop. Thats not where the problem lies though.

Since that skid the rear tire felt like it was slipping every now and then and not gripping the road as good as it used to. I went about another mile or two to work after the skid and then the ride home and both times it felt slipping some.

Is this something that is just in my head or could I have done something when I skid to mess up the tire somehow?

TrueFaith
April 7th, 2010, 07:33 AM
What's your shock preload set at? Too stiff and the rear wheel will tend to "hop" a bit. Dial it down a notch or two if it's set high and see if it helps.
Also, I hope you weren't ONLY using your rear brake during that panic stop. Your front brake has much more stopping power and you should be using it a lot more than your rear.

SteveL
April 7th, 2010, 07:36 AM
All in the head I used to lock the rear up often on the 250R the rear brake was too powerful in my opinion.

Steve

karlosdajackal
April 7th, 2010, 07:37 AM
look at the tire see if it has a flat spot, i locked up the rear IRC tire once on purpose to see how the bike reacted and it did flatspot it a little, wore back down to a round surface now.

And like the dude above said check the pre-load is not too high, and check your pressures are not too high should be 32 on the rear.

drowe531
April 7th, 2010, 07:47 AM
Also, I hope you weren't ONLY using your rear brake during that panic stop. Your front brake has much more stopping power and you should be using it a lot more than your rear.

Thanks for the suggestions, I'll take a look for a flat spot and the tire pressure. It wasn't just back break it was downshift, rear break and front break but I think I just stepped down too hard/ too quick on the rear break.

Flashmonkey
April 7th, 2010, 07:50 AM
Maybe your tire is going bald? Was it raining?

drowe531
April 7th, 2010, 07:58 AM
Nope it was a nice day, I looked and there seemed to be a decent tread still left. I just picked up the bike this past weekend so this was only the second ride on it. I believe the tires are still the stock tires but the bike only had 1670 miles when I got it.

ninja250
April 7th, 2010, 08:07 AM
If you downshift too quick (before you hit the clutch in with your hand) or sloppy sometimes the rear will break loose a bit while the tranny catches up to the engine..
Not saying that's what you did but sounds like maybe close.

Flashmonkey
April 7th, 2010, 08:14 AM
Nope it was a nice day, I looked and there seemed to be a decent tread still left. I just picked up the bike this past weekend so this was only the second ride on it. I believe the tires are still the stock tires but the bike only had 1670 miles when I got it.

1670 miles on a 2004 Ninja? Those are probably the original tires...and they're almost 6 years old I'd say. Could be the tires are old and need some scrubbing in, or need to be replaced because the rubbers getting hard.

Are they cracking or feathering at all?

Edit: LOL sorry....WHICH ninja are you having trouble with? ;)

drowe531
April 7th, 2010, 10:19 AM
Edit: LOL sorry....WHICH ninja are you having trouble with? ;)

The 08 I got over the weekend

Flashmonkey
April 7th, 2010, 10:28 AM
The 08 I got over the weekend

Hehe nevermind about the old tire then. :D

JeffM
April 7th, 2010, 11:32 AM
I think I just stepped down too hard/ too quick on the rear break.

I use very light pressure on the rear brake just using my toes and not removing my foot entirely from the peg (think like you have an egg between your boot and the lever and do not want to break the egg). Stepping/stomping on the pedal is asking for lock-up.

If the rear brake is causing issues in your riding why not just concentrate on using the front? It supplies most of your braking power and is easier to modulate than the back.

Jeff

bdavison
April 7th, 2010, 11:55 AM
If you use the front with the back...then the back will be less likely to lock up.

Trying to stop the bike without getting the front end braking too...the rear tire cant keep friction with the road with all that brake applied...if you use both, it lessens the load on the rear tire, and it wont lock up as often.

drowe531
April 7th, 2010, 12:42 PM
I guess i should clear it up, its not the braking issue I'm having as usually i'm using mostly front brake with a bit of rear break. My issue is the tire seems to slip a bit even while in motion or so its seeming.

JeffM
April 7th, 2010, 12:55 PM
This "slipping" of your rear tire is while cornering?

drowe531
April 7th, 2010, 09:15 PM
This "slipping" of your rear tire is while cornering?

That's the weird thing it was doing it even going straight.

kkim
April 7th, 2010, 09:34 PM
what's your tire pressures?

JeffM
April 8th, 2010, 08:09 AM
Road surface irregularities like tar snakes combined with low tire pressure?

bdavison
April 8th, 2010, 09:05 AM
Check and make sure your rear tire is aligned with the centerline of the bike. If you recently did a tire swap, or something where you had the rear axle loosened up it might not be properly aligned.

If the rear tire is crooked, it will make the bike feel like the rear is wandering, and introduce chatter into the rear end on the sweepers.

CZroe
April 8th, 2010, 10:10 AM
I break my rear loose all the time... when stopping (never turning or anything dangerous). It's how I know I'm reaching the limit of my rear tire's braking ability so that I can apply all excess braking power to the front brakes to achieve maximum stopping power (~70% F, 30% R).

I do have my rear suspension cranked all the way up because I weigh a lot and I carry a lot, but it happened often even before when I had it all the way down after bringing it home 600 miles from the dealer. 12,550 miles now and it's never been a problem.

I did notice that it always has a tendancy to go right. Even when I don't feel/hear it, I know it happened because my bike went out of alignment as I stopped. Even on different tires and then different rims... it always slides right.