View Full Version : Helmet size questions

FerociousNINJA
April 7th, 2010, 09:04 AM
Hello All,

I just purchased a new helmet. HJC full face "L" size and it feels too tight. Before buying this I tried a friends open face HJC helmet in "L" & "XL". The "XL" was too lose and the "L" fit like a glove, comfortable.

-My question is did I buy the wrong size helmet or is it like wearing a new shoe?

Thanks
D

ninja250
April 7th, 2010, 09:08 AM
It's supposed to be too tight when you buy it. It will break in.
Much better to have a small helmet than a big one that doesn't work and falls off.

My Shoei was kinda scary claustrophobic to put on when I bought it but already used to it now.

Once you strap in your helmet you should not be able to wiggle around in it or weasel your way out.
It should have basically no play on your head.

If it's still too tight, most helmet companies have different size cheek pads you can order I think.

zartan
April 7th, 2010, 10:35 AM
They always feel too tight for me if the fit is correct.

I just spent a week at dealers trying on all different ones. I ended up with a Shoei RF1100
It is really nice but tight. I know that you need to have a correct fit and it will break in but after trying an Arai Vector for the past year and I really was unhappy with I am so leary with any helmet fit.

I want my old 9 year old Arai back. It is like an old friend :(
but it HAD to be retired. I had it too long.

You can buy different cheek pads with some helmets and custom fit some padding . check the web site.

Yes it should be tight but not give you a headache. There is also a way to slightly compress an area that might be touching. I would suggest calling tech support. Arai explained this to me but it might be different for a HJC so I am leary about giving you advice on that for safety.

Ninja250- I agree. this is my first Shoei after 25 years of Arai and it is clausto-ing me out a little. I hear that that underwrap makes it much quieter. we will see.

Ken08Ninja
April 7th, 2010, 10:53 AM
Different models of helmets from even the same manufacturer fit differently. You want it to be tight when brand new it will wear in to your head. That is why I will never buy a used helmet.
Here's a video Jay Leno did with Bruce Porter from Aria. http://2wheeltuesday.com/2008/10/jay-leno-talks-about-arai-helmets-with-bruce-porter/

Ovd3KGu6BgU

kkim
April 7th, 2010, 11:45 AM
http://www.webbikeworld.com/motorcycle-helmets/motorcycle-helmet-faq.htm

Banzai
April 7th, 2010, 11:52 AM
That's why you always try on NEW helmets. I'm betting your buddy's helmets were "Broken In", which means they're a little looser. When you get your NEW helmet, it's always tighter, assuming the correct size, than it will feel once broken in.

OldGuy
April 8th, 2010, 08:44 PM
Another consideration is that some of us have round heads and some have oval heads and guess what? Some brands of helmets fit round / oval heads better. First you have to find what brand(s) fit you best then go for the style/look.

Alex
April 8th, 2010, 08:52 PM
/moved to motorcycle gear

untdavid
April 8th, 2010, 09:44 PM
I recently purchased a new helmet and its the same way. With time it should break in. I triple checked my size with a tape measure and then tried on helmets based on manufacture recommendations. But yea, it'll break in with time.

David

Blue Monkey
April 8th, 2010, 10:55 PM
I measured my head a few times and bought the size hemet that fit in those measurements. When i first put it on I thought, oh no this is too tight. I kept it and wore it a few times and with time now it fits perfect. Measure your head if you haven't already and then I went to Denniskirk.com click on the brand helmet you have and look for the sizing charts and it will tell you what size you need. You probably bought the right size, just need to wear it some but it doesn't hurt to check the chart. I know some places won't exchange it if you wear it on a ride.

Greg_E
April 9th, 2010, 09:09 AM
Sure would be nice if every helmet manufacturer would produce an in depth video regarding fitment and accessories, care and feeding, and any other useful info. I had no idea that Arai helmets could be customized that much, I have never been in a store where they had several sizes of cheek pieces, several sizes of liners, etc.

sgates0
April 11th, 2010, 12:05 PM
Posted via Mobile Device

sgates0
April 11th, 2010, 12:14 PM
I recently purchased an hjc cl-15 size small... And I'm afraid it's too small. If I stick my chin out it lightly brushes the front of the helmet, I called the store (helmet country) and the rep said no to worry about it as long as I'm comfortable with the cheeks & the rest of my head is comfortable. Does that sound right? The helmet I have been using is a Shoei size small but on that my chin doesn't touch.. I just want to be sure before I pay a shipping/restocking fee that my helmet is gonna fit.
Posted via Mobile Device

Greg_E
April 11th, 2010, 02:55 PM
I would ask HJC or Helmet House who I think is the importer.