View Full Version : Joe Rocket Aura vs. Scorpion Elektra leather jackets

Sabi3786
April 7th, 2010, 11:57 AM
Hey guys I'm new to Ninjette...just got my ride a month ago. Then plan is to get some safety gear! I def want a leather jacket and one that preferably matches my bike. So I'm lookin for black, black/white, black/silver, that sorta ish.

I've checked reviews on these 2 jackets, both seem legit, but I would like more opinions. It's between the Joe Rocket Aura (I found one for $283) and the Scorpion Elektra (found one for $165). And while I'm at it...if you think the Elektra is suitable...which color?? Black, ink, or white lol. I am getting more and more indecisive as time goes on haha. Any insight would be appreciated ;)

http://www.newenough.com/street/protective_apparel/leather_jackets_and_pants/joe_rocket/ladies_aura_leather_motorcycle_jacket.html

http://www.motorcycle-superstore.com/1/2/49/13683/ITEM/Scorpion-Womens-Elektra-Jacket.aspx

DirtyDave
April 8th, 2010, 01:15 AM
The Joe Rocket in my opinion just looks better. I've never owned any Scorpion stuff but I can tell you that if I were to crash I'd rather be wearing my Joe Rocket Sonic leather jacket than anything else. It's just a sturdy, well made jacket. That being said though I've never heard any complaints about Scorpion gear but based on looks and my experience with JR, I'd go with it. If I were female of course.

Momaru
April 8th, 2010, 04:47 AM
FWIW my experience has been exactly the opposite of David's. Every piece of JR gear I've seen that was more than a month old had stitching coming out of somewhere and the bits I've seen crashed (with one exception) didn't fare too well.

I haven't crashed Scorpion gear (personally or seen in person), but the Stinger jacket I picked up feels very solid, the stitching is thorough and the fit beats out every other jacket I've got.

But once again, this is a guy's perspective, so not sure how well it'll apply to other items on the other side of the gender line.

Tigress
April 8th, 2010, 04:56 AM
I think the Scorpion in off white looks really nice. The black looks good too, but with a black bike it would help you be seen a little better. It would look waaayyy hotter in just white, but the off white doesn't look too off white if that makes sense. :)

Greg_E
April 8th, 2010, 06:56 AM
Saw this in an email that they sent to me:
http://www.revzilla.com/gogo-gear
Just in case you want something that doesn't look like race gear. Don't know anything about them.

Hard to go wrong with Cortech and Tourmaster if you decide on textile gear, not sure about their leather goods. If the Cortech HRX came in long/tall sizes I would have bought it, not sure how they size up for women though:
http://www.tourmaster.com/xcart/catalog/HRX-Series-2-Jacket-p-266_25.html

I've had an AGV one piece that was really nice so take a look at what they offer.

And I haven't ever looked at Joe Rocket, but there sure are a lot of posts about how the stitches blow out to scare me away. Might just be repeating the same crap, but it worked and I bought Tourmaster.

Zombiphone
April 8th, 2010, 08:04 AM
I wear a full suit of Scorpion gear to work everyday. I don't have the elektra (I wanted to get it, but a los angeles summer told me I would die without perforations), but I wear the Nikki jacket from their women's leather line. I got it and my pants in white for better visibility, and because the white ranger is far superior to the black ranger (although, awkwardly, I switch to the black ranger on weekends when I'm in my 1 piece. No loyalty, at all. Kids these days :headshake: ). I've still yet to crash test it, but after wearing it for a year nearly everyday, it still looks like new, it feels very secure, and it's really comfortable. So yeah, I'm a fan.

I've never heard anything bad about there men's gear either. I've no idea how Joe Rocket compares, but I think Scorpion as a whole is pretty solid. I admittedly prefer my Dainese 1-piece that I use for spirited rides in dangerous places, but Dainese is considerably more pricey, and I'm confident that my scorpion gear is more than sufficient for general city riding and commuting purposes.

Sabi3786
April 8th, 2010, 03:24 PM
Thank you everyone for the advice! My thoughts...

DirtyDave: You know you want it, even if you're not female ;-)

Momaru: My bro just bought the Stinger jacket in red/black and thus far is a huge fan. I've heard great things about Scorpion, including the reasonable prices.

Tigress: haha yeah I'm def lookin into the off-white for safety concerns. The only problem is that the off-white option is out-of-stock on Motorcycle Superstore, which is where I found it the cheapest. I may keep looking around.

Greg_E: I never heard of the stitching problem w/JR products, thanks for the heads up! I'll def do some more research.

Zombiphone: I like your style :) I was also looking into their pant line...would you recommend Scorpion Savannah or Haley?

Zombiphone
April 8th, 2010, 08:48 PM
I wear the Haley pants just because I insist on full leather. I got a size larger than I would normally wear and use them as overpants so I can change out of them quick and easy when I get to work and they fit really nicely over my slacks. I really like that the lacing lets you adjust them a bit for a tighter fit, and they're somewhat lowrise for riding pants, which I personally greatly prefer for something I'm wearing in public :) They're not low enough to be unsafe or anything, but they're a bit closer to my everyday style, and they comfortably don't cut into my waist when I'm in riding position like.

They're pretty solid as well, so I trust them for general city riding. I don't know that I'd take them into the canyons though, if that's more of the kind of riding you're looking to do. Really great for the day to day though, and they're comfortable enough to wear in arcades, or restaurants, or what have you when I get off :thumbup: