View Full Version : Did my own maintenance

Focus Mike
April 12th, 2010, 07:07 PM
So I did my own maintenance on my 2-fiddy.

Bought myself the following

Motorcycle Funnel
Vortex Spools
Pitbull Jack
Torque Wrench
Amsoil
Wix filter
Crush Washer for drain plug
Motul Chain Cleaner
Amsoil Chain Lube
Grunge Brush

Went very smoothly. I wasn't "DUE" for a change but I wanted to get rid of the Factory oil and run some good stuff in there. The end result is a smoother power band, a quite engine, and very noticeably smoother shifting. I rode around all morning just so I knew if there truly was a difference and there actually was.

Took me probably 30 minutes or so my first time because I took my time cleaning the snot out of my chain.

I highly recommend Amsoil or any other synthetic good quality oil vs the Dino oil.

I've got enough supplies till next season, I'll do it all over again before I throw it in storage. My bike is a pampered bike, because a clean engine, is a happy engine

Can't wait to burn out all my gas and see if my gas milage improves. On a 250 it takes a while to burn out the gas! LAWL!

Snake
April 13th, 2010, 06:48 AM
Congats on doing your own maintenance. Not only do you save money but you get a great sense of accomplishment.

tjkamper
April 13th, 2010, 06:52 AM
Doing your own maintenance is the best way to get to know your bike. The more you know about how your bike works, the easier it is for you to be familiar with it when riding.

kawac
April 22nd, 2011, 05:06 AM
I just brought a used ninja 250 and it is at its 2000 miles. I want to give her a full service but I am new to motorcycle. Can you give me some suggestions on what to do and what kind of supplies will I need? Thank you.

KC

Cloud Strife
April 22nd, 2011, 05:43 AM
I just brought a used ninja 250 and it is at its 2000 miles. I want to give her a full service but I am new to motorcycle. Can you give me some suggestions on what to do and what kind of supplies will I need? Thank you.

KC
Since it's new to to you (and you probably don't know exactly what the previous owner did in terms of maintenance), I would recommend doing the full check to ensure it's runnin properly.

http://www.ninjette.org/forums/showthread.php?t=19368

tjkamper
April 22nd, 2011, 08:15 AM

KC

Do all of the scheduled maintenance (except for valves) things listed in your MOM. What year is it?

kawac
April 22nd, 2011, 09:20 AM
Thank you Paul and Travis for the advise! this should keep me busy for this weekends.

kc

Rider for Life
November 17th, 2011, 10:17 PM
Can anyone help me- I just got my 2010 ninja 250 and want to know if i need to change the oil its at 1k miles
does anyone know of any good websites to show me how to change the oil with pictures and good explanations?
thanks

choneofakind
November 18th, 2011, 08:00 AM
yes you want to change the oil often during break-in period with any engine.

here's the thread that you need:

http://www.ninjette.org/forums/showthread.php?t=10780&highlight=diy+oil+change

"oil change" in the search function would have gotten you that too