View Full Version : Preaching to the choir - I hope.

JeffM
April 19th, 2010, 11:02 AM
This was posted in the Spartan Leathers forum (I broke it into smaller paragraphs for readability):

Riding Without Gear - A Personal Choice
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Riding without boots and crashing might cost you some road rash or foot mash or even in an extreme case might lead to amputation. You might never walk without a limp. You might battle a weight and fitness problem for the rest of your life. You might never walk with pain. But it probably wouldn't kill you.

Riding without gloves and crashing might cost you some road rash or a Munched hand or the severe, excruciating pain of mangling a body part rich with nerve endings. Or you could lose a finger or two. It could cost you the ability to play ball with your son, to properly feel the gentle curve of a women’s breast, or to hold a beer. But it probably wouldn't kill you.

Riding without at least an armored jacket and leather trousers or full leathers or an Aerostich or even just a leather jacket and jeans and crashing might cost you serious road rash. You might grind off a nipple. You might embed gravel in your elbow. You might get beef jerky all over your back. You might grind off your kneecap or have a scar resembling Australia on you calf like a friend of mine does. You would be scarred for life and not be able to walk on a beach shirtless without feeling self conscious. You might end up like Kevin Spacey's character in "Pay It Forward" and have to deal with the same awkward moment every time you remove your clothes with a new lover. But it probably won't kill you.

Riding without a back protector and crashing in all but rare crashes would be inconsequential. However, there are so many variables out there- curbs, fenders, poles, guardrails, debris in the road- any one of these could be the golden BB that nicks your spinal cord in just the wrong way and leaves you in a wheelchair for life. Or, maybe you just have constant sciatic pain in one leg. Or you can't move your legs. Or you have to wear diapers for when you @#%$ yourself, and/or a colostomy bag you have to pull out of your pants leg and squeeze your waste out into the toilet at a bar like a guy I know.

Or maybe you can't move from the chest down. Or maybe you can't move from the neck down. Are you good at working joysticks with your mouth?

Or maybe you might need a respirator? Or 24 hour care?

Certainly, there are impacts that are completely foreseeable that would permanently injure you even with the best back protector in the world. But there are crashes and subsequent impacts that even mediocre back protectors can make that little bit of difference in- the ones you get up and walk away from, sore all over, but *walking*. Do you want the last time you walked to be when you walked out of 7-11 with a pack of smokes and then got on your bike? Those precious few steps out the door and over to the bike to be the five steps you remember the rest of your life because the next time you were off the bike you were lying strapped to a backboard staring at the headliner of an ambulance, tears running down your face because you couldn't feel the little piggies and you were almost ready to vomit at the stench of your @#%$ because you lost control of your bowels?

Riding without a back protector and crashing might not make a difference, or it might make all the difference in the world. It might not kill you, but it might make you wish it had.

And, finally- helmets.

Riding without a helmet and crashing might be of no consequence. You might never even touch terra firma with your head. Or you might give yourself an asphalt face lift. You might get a concussion that results in only a bad headache the next day. You might get a serious concussion that lands you in the hospital for endless CAT scans and MRIs, and for the rest of your days be plagued by migraines. You might fracture your orbital and lose your vision. You might fracture your skull and end up fully functional but with a horrible Frankenstein like scar and a metal plate that bothers you on cold days and sets of metal detectors in airports.

You might have a closed head injury from which you don't awaken from for hours or days or weeks or months- all the while your mother, father, sister, brother, children, workmates, and/or riding buddies come a visit you, filling an utterly depressing hospital room into a gauche jungle of flowers and bright card saying "get well soon!" that you never see or smell. Sure, you might awaken completely normal besides the hole drilled in your head to reduce pressure. Or you might awaken a little fuzzy, unsure who these people are. Or you might awaken and have to re-learn everything it took you all your life to learn, eventually returning to normal or even better like Harrison Ford in "Regarding Henry". Or you might awaken a man-child, drooling and laughing as you try to stack blocks, wearing sweatpants and a t-shirt signed by your mother, father, sister, brother, children, workmates, and/or riding buddies- which you will never read. Or you might have an open head injury, from which the "you" you know will most likely never return. The rest of your life -be it a day, a week, a month, a year- will consist of feeding tubes, the endless beep and whoosh of the heart monitor and respirator, and the drip-drip or IV fluids, catheters in your rod, and feeding tubes.

Of course, you won't mind all of this, you'll be in a dream land no one knows about. Your body will waste away and atrophy. Eventually, the shell that used to be you would give out, and your loved ones would have to make the most grueling decision of their life.

Or, you might die on the road, fluffy gray brain matter mixing with blood and cerebral-spinal fluid. Perhaps you last ride would be twenty miles an hour down the street by your house combined with an impatient young driver and an ignored stop sign.

Or perhaps it would be a ride on the freeway and a pothole denting your rim and popping the front tire off the bead sending you into the guardrail.

Or you might go out in a blaze of glory with a 100 mph wheelie ending the wrong way. Whichever way, would make maybe a 10 second news story depending on where you live, maybe a paragraph buried on page 32B of the paper.

Riding without a helmet could be of no matter- or it could mean the difference between going on as you are now, or having life taken away from you as if God flipped a switch.

I can live without toes or a mangled foot- but I choose to try and prevent that. I can live with a hand that looks like a burn victim's and maybe relearn to write with my left hand- but I choose to try and prevent that. I can live with a scar in the shape of Australia on my calf- but I try and prevent that. I can live with road rash on my torso and arms- but I try to prevent that. I could live in a wheelchair, agonizing through every day, but I chose to try and prevent that.

I can't live as a man-child. I've already played with blocks. I only drool when I sleep.

We all make choices. Gear can't always save you. All the best leather, denim, Cordura, Kevlar, fiberglass, and plastic are useless when fate throws the Immovable Object or the Irresistible Force in your path. But I choose to stack the deck in my favor. If it all ends up for naught and the stacked deck and the cards up my sleeve end up losing to Fate's royal flush, so be it. But I'll try.

-Author unknown-

CC Cowboy
April 19th, 2010, 11:31 AM
Jeff, it says "quote" at the top. If you added paragraphs then it can't be someone else's quote. At the end it says "Author unknown" so how do we know if these are factual statements and just opinions.

Having read many crash threads I think you might be on to something, although it should be a choice, even for the accident prone riders (you know who you are).

JeffM
April 19th, 2010, 11:46 AM
It is a quote - word for word from another source (http://www.spartanleathers.com/Forums/index.php?topic=148.0). I however, broke the writing up into paragraphs. The original was almost one big paragraph without breaks and really hard to read. I did not change any of the words. I fixed my statement on editing it.

I do not think it is meant to be taken literately in terms of factuality.

Snake
April 19th, 2010, 12:22 PM
Amen brother! Singing in the choir here.

CC Cowboy
April 19th, 2010, 01:27 PM
I'm going to have to save up and get some gear.

noche_caliente
April 19th, 2010, 05:32 PM
:amen:

Snake
April 19th, 2010, 06:58 PM
I'm going to have to save up and get some gear.

It looks like we are slowly turning CC to the good side of the force...lol

utahninja
April 19th, 2010, 07:00 PM
Riding home today I was stopped at a light behind a police car when a young human male with no regard to his own safety flew threw the intersection. His shaved head exposed, no eye protection, T-shirt flying up and exposing half his back, bare hands, sneakers and jeans. Hey, it wasn't warm enough for shorts and flip flops yet.

I sat there literally shaking my helmet thinking "what an idiot".

No, the police car didn't chase him down, as there are no laws for laking good judgement.

I hope someone at the intersection noticed that I was shaking my helmet, as to show there are some motorcycle riders with some sense of good judgement.

BTW... I was also wearing my padded mesh jacket, leather gloves, jeans, and boots. I do have my eyes out for a pair of good motorcycle pants as my next investement in my gear.

Momaru
April 19th, 2010, 07:27 PM
Nothing like a solid run of 'what if' to remind oneself that ATGATT just makes sense. Thanks for sharing the find, whoever wrote it.

CC Cowboy
April 20th, 2010, 09:05 AM
It looks like we are slowly turning CC to the good side of the force...lol

What should I get first? I'm thinking gloves, maybe helmet, boots are important, it's too hot for a jacket, oh, oh, oh, I'll get new sunglasses. After all if you can't see you are in deep trouble.

gfloyd2002
October 6th, 2011, 03:40 AM
I was about to repost this, which I think we can actually attribute originally to Jason Gundlach (http://www.timberwoof.com/motorcycle/ridingGearChoice.html), but I found it here with a quick search. Worth a bump.

http://www.tacomaworld.com/gallery/data/500/bump31.jpg

JeffM
October 7th, 2011, 06:22 PM
Floyd, thanks for posting the identity of the author.

Lil_Green_Demon
October 13th, 2011, 10:11 PM
What should I get first? I'm thinking gloves, maybe helmet, boots are important, it's too hot for a jacket, oh, oh, oh, I'll get new sunglasses. After all if you can't see you are in deep trouble.

I know your post is from over a year ago, but did you honestly start riding without any gear? :eek:
That just seems idiotic! I know a few people who have done that, but they at least had helmets!

Alex
October 13th, 2011, 11:12 PM
He's messing with you, Umar. :)

Trailerboy531
October 13th, 2011, 11:51 PM
"to properly feel the gentle curve of a women’s breast,"

From this day forth I shall wear 4 pairs of gloves at a time.

Lil_Green_Demon
October 14th, 2011, 01:33 AM
He's messing with you, Umar. :)

I figured that was going to be the case but I still took his post seriously. :lol:

n4mwd
October 14th, 2011, 04:48 AM
All that gear might be great for the track, but on the road it leads to a false sense of security. If you are that worried, lock yourself up in a cave somewhere.

I read somewhere that of all motorcycle fatalities, it was something like 40% would have been prevented by wearing a helmet. That means the other 60% would have been killed anyway.

I wear a helmet, jacket and gloves and sometimes pants. There are other reasons to wear them besides crash protection - such as flying bugs and rocks from passing trucks.

According to government statistics, your chances of being killed on a motorcycle are roughly the same as being killed just walking down the sidewalk. With odds like that, I'd rather be riding - its more fun.

JeffM
October 14th, 2011, 08:33 AM
June 14th, 2011 02:29 PMn4mwd
Sounds great. I've only been riding since last September and I've almost got about 5K miles on my Ninja so far. Last night was the first time I got caught in the rain. Not much fun. Everything was soaked. My shoes, pants, helmet, everything. At least it wasn't too hot. I think I need to get better rain gear.

I believe having proper gear, wearing it, and having it when you need it is the smart choice and makes for a more comfortable ride. However, I am not buying your idea that gear provides a false sense of security. I ride ATGATT and am still wary of accidents and the consequences of them.

Can you post up a link for the statistic that the chances of being killed on a motorcycle are roughly the same as being killed just walking down the sidewalk? I'd like to see those.

Jeff

Vampyre
October 14th, 2011, 09:09 AM
It is posted on the national safety council site.

http://www.nsc.org/NSC%20Picture%20Library/News/web_graphics/Injury_Facts_37.pdf

Car 1 in 303
Pedestrian 1 in 649
Motorcycle 1 in 770

But I still wear my gear. no need to push my luck. Also may not die but rash sucks.

JeffM
October 14th, 2011, 09:30 AM
It is posted on the national safety council site.

Thanks Joseph.

Pedestrian is a bit better description than "walking down the sidewalk" and makes more sense. Pedestrians are clobbered in traffic all the time.

Fixed:

According to the National Safety Council (a non-governmental, non-profit (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/National_Safety_Council)) your chances of being killed on a motorcycle are roughly the same as being killed as a pedestrian.

I wonder what the statistics are for getting killed on a sidewalk? ;)

Jeff

n4mwd
October 14th, 2011, 01:42 PM
I believe having proper gear, wearing it, and having it when you need it is the smart choice and makes for a more comfortable ride. However, I am not buying your idea that gear provides a false sense of security. I ride ATGATT and am still wary of accidents and the consequences of them.

But why did you quote me from another thread from 4 months ago? For the record, I still HATE riding in the rain, I have been riding for over a year now, I have about 8000 miles now, and my rain gear leaks.

JeffM
October 14th, 2011, 02:09 PM
But why did you quote me from another thread from 4 months ago? For the record, I still HATE riding in the rain, I have been riding for over a year now, I have about 8000 miles now, and my rain gear leaks.

Just emphasing the need for good and complete gear. I used your old post as an example of where gear would have made a difference in your comfort level. I thought your quote was in contrast to what your were saying in this thread - that you wear gear for the comfort level it provides.

Speaking of comfort levels. I noticed that in another post today (http://www.ninjette.org/forums/showpost.php?p=387375&postcount=79)you stated that you only wear sneakers when riding. Wouldn't boots be better? You mentioned that boots provide a lack of feel for braking and shifting. What boots have you tried long term? Sneakers might give better feel - at least until they come off your feet in a crash and your toes, ankles, and heels get ground down a bit.

In your boot post you sarcastically stated that boots were expensive. Here are some all around boots for $79 (http://www.motorcycle-superstore.com/1/1/36/69/ITEM/Vega-Touring-Boots.aspx)

Why am I getting deja vu writing this :p

Jeff

n4mwd
October 14th, 2011, 06:09 PM
Speaking of comfort levels. I noticed that in another post today (http://www.ninjette.org/forums/showpost.php?p=387375&postcount=79)you stated that you only wear sneakers when riding. Wouldn't boots be better? You mentioned that boots provide a lack of feel for braking and shifting. What boots have you tried long term? Sneakers might give better feel - at least until they come off your feet in a crash and your toes, ankles, and heels get ground down a bit.

In your boot post you sarcastically stated that boots were expensive. Here are some all around boots for $79 (http://www.motorcycle-superstore.com/1/1/36/69/ITEM/Vega-Touring-Boots.aspx)

Why am I getting deja vu writing this :p

Jeff

I've never found a pair of boots that I like and are comfortable. The ones that are the most promising cost several hundred dollars. And $79 is still way more than a $10 pair of sneakers. No doubt the boots would be better in a crash though.

My requirement for motorcycle footwear is a) hard (not soft) rubber soles so they slide on the rubber pegs; b) no heels so they don't get caught on the pegs; c) major flexibility in the ankles so I can work the shifter and brake without resistance; d) basic comfort so that I can walk around in a store without hurting my feet; e) costs less than $75.

The boots with the titanium skeleton are no doubt wonderful shoes, but way beyond my budget.

setasai
October 14th, 2011, 06:26 PM
I've never found a pair of boots that I like and are comfortable. The ones that are the most promising cost several hundred dollars. And $79 is still way more than a $10 pair of sneakers. No doubt the boots would be better in a crash though.

My requirement for motorcycle footwear is a) hard (not soft) rubber soles so they slide on the rubber pegs; b) no heels so they don't get caught on the pegs; c) major flexibility in the ankles so I can work the shifter and brake without resistance; d) basic comfort so that I can walk around in a store without hurting my feet; e) costs less than $75.

The boots with the titanium skeleton are no doubt wonderful shoes, but way beyond my budget.

Just curious... how much were your other gear? Gloves, jacket, helmet, pants?

rockNroll
October 14th, 2011, 06:42 PM
I have been riding for over a year now, I have about 8000 miles now

you n00b!

n4mwd
October 14th, 2011, 06:49 PM
Just curious... how much were your other gear? Gloves, jacket, helmet, pants?

I got most of it on sale.

Frank Thomas Mesh Jacket: $50
Modular Helmet: $100
Mesh Gloves: $15
Oneal motorcycle pants: $30
Sneakers: $15

setasai
October 14th, 2011, 08:04 PM
I got most of it on sale.

Frank Thomas Mesh Jacket: $50
Modular Helmet: $100
Mesh Gloves: $15
Oneal motorcycle pants: $30
Sneakers: $15

I can see why you think $80 boots are expensive now. I dont doubt that sales make for awesome prices. I got some pretty awesome stuff for cheap but for something to get "that" cheap, it must not have been very expensive to begin with. That's also not to say that cheap things arent good quality but in this case you are more than likely to get what you pay for.

To each their own but as a whole, your gear is barely a step above casual clothing. As long as you know that, I have nothing more to say except, do you trust your gear to save you in the event of a crash, even a low speed (15mph) slide off? I'm not asking about statistics on accidents and crashing. Just asking if it happens would you be confident about it?

Final question, 8000miles of what? Commuting? Track? Backroad twisties? Highway riding isnt the same as backroad twisties riding.

n4mwd
October 15th, 2011, 06:30 AM
I can see why you think $80 boots are expensive now. I dont doubt that sales make for awesome prices. I got some pretty awesome stuff for cheap but for something to get "that" cheap, it must not have been very expensive to begin with. That's also not to say that cheap things arent good quality but in this case you are more than likely to get what you pay for.

To each their own but as a whole, your gear is barely a step above casual clothing. As long as you know that, I have nothing more to say except, do you trust your gear to save you in the event of a crash, even a low speed (15mph) slide off? I'm not asking about statistics on accidents and crashing. Just asking if it happens would you be confident about it?

Final question, 8000miles of what? Commuting? Track? Backroad twisties? Highway riding isnt the same as backroad twisties riding.

Well, I asked the guy at cycle gear and he said the jacket was last year's model and they wanted to get rid of it. A friend went in a few months later and got the same jacket, but all black (he's married), for only $25. I think they were around $150 when they first came out.

Leather is better, but not practical in the heat down here. If they have a sale, I might buy some real leather for winter riding. I've been down twice now at low speed and the mesh gear worked just fine. Based on what more experienced riders have told me, it should be fine up to 45 mph.

Most of my miles have been on the city/country roads. We don't have twisties down here with the exception of the occasional roundabout.:( I don't get on the interstate much.

I may not have been riding a long time, but I have been riding enough to know that no matter how good your gear is, there is always someone that will say that it isn't good enough and you will die for sure if you don't get more expensive gear.

But like I said before, high quality gear is great for the track, but it gives street riders a false sense of security. On the track accident, you are going to fall off and go sliding. On the street, you are going to do that plus get run over by an SUV. The gear wont help you there.

eddiekay
October 15th, 2011, 08:22 AM
ATGATT makes sense if you want to minimize the extent of injury in the crash that will certainly come. But not doing ATGATT doesnt mean we're inviting injury, it just says you have a different personality than they guys who put personal saftey above everything else.
I'm an old biker and came up in a time most of you dont remember and maybe better left in the past....bikes that broke down, cagers that hated us, no cell phones, no owners groups ...you went out and it was quite possible you'd need a ride home. If you could find a phone to call from and knew where you were.
Until pretty recently, in my perosnal experience there was a "biker personality".
We liked some risk and we had self confidence ( misplaced or not), we did things with the bikes that they were never designed for and a lot of us owned only a bike, no car.
No one seemd to worry much about rain, some dirt on the bike or a scratch in the paint.
We accepted that the bikes would get beat up, that we'd prob get hurt and never worried about it till after it happened. Really...it was a part of the fun.
In the late 60's, I saw more Sportsters following the power lines and covered in mud than Jawa's and we all learned the proper technique for pushing a bike on gravel...no certificates of completion were issued. A bike that looked used was a source of pride, a bent lever, crooked signal stem or missing mirror all opened up the door for a long exaggerated speech on how it happened. We were and we still are a bunch of BSA's ( bullsh*t artists) when it comes to our adventures. That's the same. That's a part of the fun.
ATGATT is sensible, it's proactive, more often than not,,,it's like getting dressed up for halloween just to be seen...and today, that's the new part of the fun. Hey, we all goof on the HD guys...beards, bellies, chrome and they laugh back at our decals, ducati's and dianese jackets. I've heard it said...and it makes some sense that if the sport guys learned how to ride, they wouldn't need to wrap themselve in $1800 worth of leather and plastic....hmmmm. "ya could spend it on nice pipes instead, or a stereo, here..looka my new 200w....." Some cruise, some play race but both ride.
The point of this lengthy rant is that full gear, some gear or flip flops and a nice tee are choices you make based on your personality and not your brains.
Novice rider ? Spend your cash on MSF or nice sticky tires, maybe a headlight modulator, flat kit, rainsuit...like a Boy scout...be prepared.
Seasoned rider ? Do what you want.
Hardcore?...go back to Craigslist W4M 'cuz there's only 2 things in life...bikes and babes.

ninjabrewer
October 15th, 2011, 08:38 AM
.......... 'cuz there's only 2 things in life...bikes and babes.

:thumbup:

akima
October 15th, 2011, 09:45 AM
Seems reasonable enough Eddie!

We're all adults and it's up to us individually to decide how to live our lives.

Personally I love the whole "getting dressed up for halloween just to be seen" gear experience! I've ridden without all my gear a couple times... it's not my personality ;)

n4mwd
October 15th, 2011, 02:50 PM
Well said Eddie. The best reason of all to wear gear is so you look cool to the babes.:D

eddiekay
October 15th, 2011, 05:23 PM
yeah...but I didnt get to the best part about the babes:
Straight up...when you're in a full suit with all that padding in just the right places and a mirror shield down....y'know they checking you out.
I loove this...I'm old...gray hair, glasses, disoriented look on my face, the whole burnt out hippie look....so when I see the 20-somethings looking as i roll in I park close enough for them to get a good look but not too close to see what's under the helmet and in the suit.
Turn off the bike. Maybe stretch my broad shoulders ( a bit of armor), wipe the dirt off my bulging forearms ( more armor) and then I always turn away from them as i take my helmet off and just as it comes off I turn around..... and it's so funny because you see them covering their mouths and laughing. They thought one of you young guys was coming out and it's meeeeee. grandpa is in the house....I'd love to find a folding walker to put under a bungee and whip that out too. On your bike, the world is good.

setasai
October 15th, 2011, 09:45 PM
Haha that's just awesome. You could be like House and strap a cane to the bike.

n4mwd
October 16th, 2011, 05:33 AM
Glad to hear you aren't old enough for a cruiser.

But as long as you don't have too much "natural" padding around the belly, the tight fitting one piece leathers look the best. As long as they aren't all one color. I'm not a fan of black and white unless your goal is to look like a Star Wars Storm Trooper. With the right leathers and helmet, the babes will practically come out of the woodwork and jump on the back of your bike.

gfloyd2002
October 16th, 2011, 07:18 AM
Being able to afford a motorcycle, gas and insurance, but not wanting to shell out for protective gear makes no sense to me. Boots are no less important than gloves or a jacket. If cost is a problem, you can get very good BiLT and Sedici gear from CycleGear on sale for under $100, and you can also find good deals on ebay and Craigslist for used gear.

This photo is 4 weeks AFTER a minor 15mph street getoff without motorcycle boots. Torn ankle ligaments, severed base of tibia, multiple surgeries, etc.

http://a6.sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc6/263588_1597727362402_1812559313_957726_2870434_n.jpg

eddiekay
October 16th, 2011, 09:40 AM
Setasai....yeah...a cane....with little Ducati stickers...I like it.
yeah, sunglasses and a cane and maybe a little battery powered dog on a leash...I can see it now Blind, Busted -up, Badboy Biker

JeffM
October 17th, 2011, 02:20 PM
I'm not a fan of black and white unless your goal is to look like a Star Wars Storm Trooper.

Hey, yo talk'in bout me:

http://www.ninjette.org/forums/customprofilepics/profilepic1441_3.gif

Come to the dark side...............

bluepoof
October 17th, 2011, 02:56 PM
MidgetStig agrees with Jeff!

http://farm7.static.flickr.com/6179/6247725801_f06414c1aa.jpg

PHL
October 17th, 2011, 04:28 PM

Love the guys in the background. Looks like a Storm Trooper convention. "These aren't the droids we're looking for"

/nerd

JeffM
October 17th, 2011, 04:36 PM
I think Storm Troopers might be a good name for us that day. The sky opened up during one of our sessions and "Stormed" all over us. :D

I did learn one thing other than riding skills that day: A gentleman had the same Frank Thomas leathers that I'm posing in and he managed to T-bone another gentleman that low sided. His indentical leathers held up fine during his subsequent thump and slide. Made me feel better about my 1/2 off purchase.

Jeff

n4mwd
October 17th, 2011, 04:40 PM
MidgetStig agrees with Jeff!

http://farm7.static.flickr.com/6179/6247725801_f06414c1aa.jpg

Nope, that one doesn't work. Beautiful blue ninja with the guy from top gear riding it. Nope. It doesn't work.

Black and white on a gray bike is OK though. Gray and black bikes are hard to find good matching gear.

JeffM
October 17th, 2011, 04:51 PM

You forgot the right color. :rolleyes:

:focus:

n4mwd
October 17th, 2011, 05:43 PM
You forgot the right color. :rolleyes:

:focus:

Footwear and gloves, you can get away with solid black or white.

akima
October 18th, 2011, 12:32 AM

Love the guys in the background. Looks like a Storm Trooper convention. "These aren't the droids we're looking for"

/nerd

I wondered what a Storm Trooper bike would look like. Found this:
http://inhabitat.com/wp-content/blogs.dir/1/files/2011/05/rsz_honda_chopper_4-e1306413079117.jpg

* Akima hums... DUH DUH DUH duh, DUH duh, duh DUH duh... *

Firehorse
October 18th, 2011, 02:51 AM
All that gear might be great for the track, but on the road it leads to a false sense of security. If you are that worried, lock yourself up in a cave somewhere.

I read somewhere that of all motorcycle fatalities, it was something like 40% would have been prevented by wearing a helmet. That means the other 60% would have been killed anyway.

I wear a helmet, jacket and gloves and sometimes pants. There are other reasons to wear them besides crash protection - such as flying bugs and rocks from passing trucks.

According to government statistics, your chances of being killed on a motorcycle are roughly the same as being killed just walking down the sidewalk. With odds like that, I'd rather be riding - its more fun.

The things about stats is that all the riders that walked away without a scratch aren't listed, they had good gear on :thumbup::thumbup:

yeah...but I didnt get to the best part about the babes:
Straight up...when you're in a full suit with all that padding in just the right places and a mirror shield down....y'know they checking you out.
I loove this...I'm old...gray hair, glasses, disoriented look on my face, the whole burnt out hippie look....so when I see the 20-somethings looking as i roll in I park close enough for them to get a good look but not too close to see what's under the helmet and in the suit.
Turn off the bike. Maybe stretch my broad shoulders ( a bit of armor), wipe the dirt off my bulging forearms ( more armor) and then I always turn away from them as i take my helmet off and just as it comes off I turn around..... and it's so funny because you see them covering their mouths and laughing. They thought one of you young guys was coming out and it's meeeeee. grandpa is in the house....I'd love to find a folding walker to put under a bungee and whip that out too. On your bike, the world is good.

heehee, I think I must have checked you out but I didn't laugh, I gave you the thumbs up!

Hey, yo talk'in bout me:

Come to the dark side...............
Love it. Suit or racing suits, that's all women really want to see. Speaking for myself of course!

bluepoof
October 18th, 2011, 08:25 AM
Nope, that one doesn't work. Beautiful blue ninja with the guy from top gear riding it. Nope. It doesn't work.

Pffft, you're wrong. :lol:

n4mwd
October 18th, 2011, 08:35 AM
Pffft, you're wrong. :lol:

Wrong about what? That the Blue Ninja was beautiful or that the guy looked like he was from Top Gear?

bluepoof
October 18th, 2011, 09:48 AM
Wrong about what? That the Blue Ninja was beautiful or that the guy looked like he was from Top Gear?

Nah, you're wrong that the suit doesn't work with the bike. :D I'm just teasing you, of course.

You're also wrong that it's a guy, since that's a photo of me, but that's more easily forgiven. :lol:

akima
October 18th, 2011, 09:59 AM
You're also wrong that it's a guy, since that's a photo of me, but that's more easily forgiven. :lol:

I don't think it's easy for people to tell that there is a girl underneath all the protective gear I wear. :rolleyes: Maybe today they could, because I had a pink shoulder bag on.

choneofakind
October 18th, 2011, 10:16 AM
No, the police car didn't chase him down, as there are no laws for laking good judgement.

but there are laws requiring motorcyclists to at the very least wear eye protection, even if they don't have the good sense to wear a helmet

n4mwd
October 18th, 2011, 03:45 PM
Nah, you're wrong that the suit doesn't work with the bike. :D I'm just teasing you, of course.

Hmmm, are you sure about that?

http://cache.gawkerassets.com/assets/images/12/2009/01/The_Stig_Top_Gear_Eight.jpg

The Stig.

Looks pretty familiar.

Of course, being a girl, you definitely don't want to wear colorful gear that makes you attractive to other women. The same is true for married guys that aren't allowed to play.

Alex
October 18th, 2011, 10:29 PM
:confused:

rusninja
October 18th, 2011, 10:47 PM
I think gear color doesnt matter you cant really get away with matching if your a squid anyways unless your a smurf, green lizard or something of the sort. :P

Firehorse
October 19th, 2011, 12:47 AM
Oh, good, that means I don't need to wear the mohawk lid just because my bike's name is Sonic. Whew.

I think I look like a bobblehead on someone dashboard when I'm geared up. Don't mind at all. If I'm feeling good, let my hair out the back, if I'm in stealth mode, keep the hair tucked up and I look like a short bumpy guy.

No judgment is one of the best parts about gear!:thumbup: We're all just mystery people, or aliens.

n4mwd
October 19th, 2011, 05:13 AM
No, color does matter unless you are married. In that case, if your wife will let you ride at all, all black or all white or something else that is functional but drab. No point in baiting the hook if you have already caught the fish.

Like in nature, the males are typically always the more ornate. If they weren't, the girls wouldn't want anything to do with them. Any problem telling the boy from the girl in the photo below?

So if you are a single guy, you should be wearing colorful and attractive leathers and helmet. Otherwise, the female birds wont do anything except poop on your bike.

rockNroll
October 19th, 2011, 08:38 AM
* Akima hums... DUH DUH DUH duh, DUH duh, duh DUH duh... *

Oh man, I think I lol'ed.

That took me as too funny...Thanks!!!!!!

Kerberos
October 19th, 2011, 08:45 AM

I think I look like a bobblehead on someone dashboard when I'm geared up. Don't mind at all. If I'm feeling good, let my hair out the back, if I'm in stealth mode, keep the hair tucked up and I look like a short bumpy guy.

No judgment is one of the best parts about gear!:thumbup: We're all just mystery people, or aliens.

I was in class when i read this and i literally laughed out loud... :)