View Full Version : Knee armor

alex.s
April 19th, 2010, 07:49 PM
Hi all, maybe i just suck at searching, but i was trying to find info on knee armor.
more specifically, i was looking to wear kevlar pants on my ride to work (a whopping 2 miles) instead of over-pants, and all of the built-in knee protection in these types of pants seems lacking. so that brings me to my search for knee armor.

i've looked on newenough but can't seem to find what i'm looking for. i've seen other people wearing external strap-on knee and shin armor with built-in sliders. i'm interested in these built-in sliders because i spend a lot of time practicing in a large closed parking lot, and do not have a set of track leathers yet. does anyone here wear this type of armor? are these any good? should i not bother and just wait to get full track gear when i start taking her to the track? (which is currently delayed by other large expenses) and instead get something like this (http://www.motorcycle-superstore.com/1/1/350/491/ITEM/Alpinestars-Reflex-Knee-Guards.aspx) or this (http://www.motorcycle-superstore.com/1/1/350/635/ITEM/Icon-Field-Armor-Knee-Shin-Guards.aspx) to go under the kevlar? does CC-cowboy have an evil twin brother caught in a love-affair?

Momaru
April 19th, 2010, 08:24 PM
There's a handful of other threads around relating to this, a few of which are in the 'related threads' section at the very bottom of the page.

I've been wearing the Icon leg Field Armor for most of a year now (not continuously), and it's holding up well. Still don't notice I've got it on most of the time, and neither does anyone else (had one or two jokers kick my shin/knee and get a surprise). I do strongly suggest getting something for under your kevlar jeans as kevlar doesn't help with impact and I'm sure you want your kneecaps.

While I've got zero experience on the track or touching pucks, I'd suggest real leathers for the sliders. Anything else is just a substitute.

Reswob
April 19th, 2010, 10:14 PM
I use the A* Reflex knee/shin guards. They can be a little warm in the summer, but generally I forget I'm wearing them.

want1sobad
April 20th, 2010, 03:19 AM
+1 for the icon field armor shin/knee guards - they're cheap ($65) and comfortable - i wouldn't ride without them.

miks
April 20th, 2010, 04:22 AM
$25 AUD MX kneepads, slim enough to be unnoticeable under my riding jeans. Comfy aswell.

Scott1620
April 20th, 2010, 06:07 AM
+1 for the icon field armor shin/knee guards - they're cheap ($65) and comfortable - i wouldn't ride without them.

:whathesaid:

I found the straps for the bottom could be tighter, so I sewed some velcro on the strap to get them tighter but other than that they're great!

Jatan
April 20th, 2010, 09:12 AM
Havent purchased it yet, but I'm also leaning towards the Icon Field Armor

want1sobad
April 20th, 2010, 10:25 AM
Havent purchased it yet, but I'm also leaning towards the Icon Field Armor

DO IT!:thumbup:

Kolya1981
April 21st, 2010, 07:49 PM
+1 on the Icon Field Armor. I wear them with Sidi Vertigo boots with "riding jeans" and I am very comfortable and you can barely tell I am wearing them when I am off the bike.

Momaru
April 21st, 2010, 09:09 PM
:whathesaid:

I found the straps for the bottom could be tighter, so I sewed some velcro on the strap to get them tighter but other than that they're great!

I needed slightly smaller thigh straps as I was wearing thru the stretchy strapping material having it in contact with the 'hook' side of their velcro. But same solution, just sew on a lil more.

I forgot to mention the outermost clearish layer of the plastic shell on my Icons is peeling a bit from me kneeling on them in the gravel of my parking lot so much while un/covering it and doing preflight inspections. It's purely cosmetic though.

addy126
April 23rd, 2010, 06:45 AM
+1 on the Icon Field Armor... use elbow/knee and vest... very discreet... great in hot months.... comfortable.:thumbup:

maglin
May 18th, 2010, 04:13 AM
I recently bought those --> http://store.planet-knox.com/knox/lower-body/4/cross-max-knee-guards/

Cab305
May 19th, 2010, 11:15 AM
Question about the icon field armor shin/knee guards.

I have a pair of Alpine Star MX-5 boots, how far down does the shin guard go. Will it still fit above the boot, or will it go down far enough that it will pass the top of boot.(bad thing).

I felt like doing a bit of spirited riding the other night, I don't have riding pants so I stuck a pair of rector(skateboard pads) elbow pads in my jeans. They cupped my knee cap perfect and were not too bulky.(actual rector knee pads are way to large for jeans)

I felt a little safer bringing my leg down, but I would definitely be interested in the icon pads if they are short enough.

Scott1620
May 19th, 2010, 11:42 AM
I have the S-MX 2 alpinestars (http://www.motorcycle-superstore.com/1/1/36/13504/ITEM/Alpinestars-S-MX-2-Vented-Boots.aspx) 3/4 boot and the icon knee armor is fine, I am not sure about a full boot though...

fujimumu
May 19th, 2010, 09:49 PM

I have a pair of Alpine Star MX-5 boots, how far down does the shin guard go. Will it still fit above the boot, or will it go down far enough that it will pass the top of boot.(bad thing).

I felt like doing a bit of spirited riding the other night, I don't have riding pants so I stuck a pair of rector(skateboard pads) elbow pads in my jeans. They cupped my knee cap perfect and were not too bulky.(actual rector knee pads are way to large for jeans)

I felt a little safer bringing my leg down, but I would definitely be interested in the icon pads if they are short enough.

How snug are the boots around your lower shin? I wear the Sidi Vertigo boots and the Icon knee armor fits inside, but the Sidi's have an adjustable calf portion that I think the Alpinestars don't have. I'm sure you can head to a shop and ask to try on the Icon armor before/if you buy it.

Cab305
May 19th, 2010, 11:19 PM
How snug are the boots around your lower shin?

There is a zipper that goes 3/4 way up, top part is velcro flap. Yes technically I could loosen the top to slide in guard. I just really like my boots to feel snug, and I'm afraid that having the shin guard inside will make the top of the boot feel loose.
Do yo have this issue at all? Just curious do the guards look like they could be cut, and the fabric re-sawn just above boot?

Momaru
May 20th, 2010, 12:27 PM
I'm wearing my Sidi B-2 full-length boots with the bottom portion Icon knee armor inside the top of the boot. It's quite comfortable. They bottom 5" of the shin portion armor are covered by the boot. The shin portion of the armor is ~10.75" long, my boots are 12" from ground to very top. Not sure I'd saw them off, to fit but anything's possible. You'd likely lose the bottom of the three calf straps though. Personally, I like the double-layer of armor for a few inches of my shin, though I'm fairly sure it won't do much more than one layer would.

Cab305
May 20th, 2010, 01:01 PM
thanks for advice and pic.

adri99an
May 20th, 2010, 05:45 PM
GREAT pic--I've wondered the same thing...

GeorgiaHooligan
May 20th, 2010, 07:22 PM
I got my bike about a yr ago and learned the hard way... I love icons field armor, they have great protection for the knee and shins and fit under all my pants. I dropped when i first got it and the bike fell on my left leg sliding down the street, my knee looked like a baseball, never again will i ride without knee protection.

GeorgiaHooligan
May 20th, 2010, 07:25 PM
one of the best 65 bucks ive spent

Xoulrath
May 21st, 2010, 03:39 PM

I have a pair of Alpine Star MX-5 boots, how far down does the shin guard go. Will it still fit above the boot, or will it go down far enough that it will pass the top of boot.(bad thing).I have the S-MX R boots and they work fine with my A* knee/shin guards and work fine with my A* riding pants (leather/textile sport riding pants). In both cases the shin part DOES tuck into the boot, but at no point do I find my boots too loose though I have fairly large legs. I don't see why you would have any problems fitting the shin armor and getting the boots adjusted to your liking unless the boots are already too tight. My boot has the ratcheting system in addition to the zipper and Velcro, so that gives me extra adjustment, but you should have a stretch panel that gives a good bit to help with fitment.

Cab305
May 21st, 2010, 04:22 PM
Just picked up the Icon pads.

These are awesome, the fit is right on, I can tighten the boot up and still have it tight. The knee pad itself seems to ride a little low(standing), but I haven't tried them in a riding position yet. Will report tonight.

Momaru
May 21st, 2010, 05:39 PM
Think you'll like the Icons. I needed to add a little more of the soft side of the velcro as I've got skinny legs. The knee plate does tend to drift down walking, but riding it stays in place pretty well for me.

DEXSPEED
June 7th, 2010, 07:41 PM
fieldsheer makes knee shin armor too.

want1sobad
June 8th, 2010, 04:43 AM
fieldsheer makes knee shin armor too.

go with the icons - reviews of fieldsheer's "armadillo" gear has been less than positive.

setasai
June 14th, 2010, 10:11 PM
I recently bought those --> http://store.planet-knox.com/knox/lower-body/4/cross-max-knee-guards/

Same here. Although i'm super new, I've been fine tuning the everyday gear and so I also purchased these knox cross guard knee armor (long) edition. They cover the knees and upper shin quite well and are comfortable. I also wear shift lowdown jeans over it for abrasion. I know I know, not the best but I also have overpants for the longer trips. I just find it too bulky for the small commutes that it annoys me.

Here's a video review of the knox ones... i believe they also have a review on the icon ones as well.

oC4wleicG0c

petiteninja
June 16th, 2010, 08:11 AM
momaru, are you a hokie? the wall in the background looks vaguely familiar...

Momaru
June 16th, 2010, 10:37 PM
Indeed I am, good catch as that's just plain ol' cinderblock painted white. That's the inside of my office in Derring. I'm on the Biology dep't staff.

ScorpionNinja
June 22nd, 2010, 02:58 PM
+5 for the Knox Armor Knee guards!!!

I have a pair i bought last year from STG here locally! :thumbup:

Ive worn them 4-6 times during straight 12-14hours periods and didnt have any real skin irration or chaffing issues on the back my knees (knee pits),

* While which, i was walking around bike nights, visiting my family as a suprise stop-over, etc!

Of course, you have to have them velcroed up just right. It might take afew hours of trying them on going for rides and adjusting them here and there, until you find the perfect amount of pressure used with the velcro straps!

But when you do, Least i was very very pleased with them!

havent "tested" them as far as in a wipeout on the road ... :lol: but i wear these ALWAYS when ive worn SHORTs ,
(cuz its just too faq'ing hot and a hassle to put on my riding pants over in the morning for 5mile ride to work, and during the ride home from work when the temps are HOT out)
I do have issues with the Knox knee guards messing with my ability to STICK or TACK to my *Stompgrip* on my gas tank.

Vs my Bare skin contacting the Stompgrip!

I do where them with my Riding Pants (Scorpion Deuce Textile), for longer distance rides or everytime I plan on using Highways to go to my destination! :thumbup:

So Ill say KNOX KNEE GUARDS ARE A GREAT ITEM AND VALUE TO HAVE!