View Full Version : "Riding Technique" forum?

kkim
April 22nd, 2010, 02:49 PM
Alex,

Any chance to have a "riding technique" forum added?

:)

CC Cowboy
April 22nd, 2010, 03:22 PM
?

What is a "riding technique" forum?

250rinblack
April 23rd, 2010, 04:45 AM
Alex,

Any chance to have a "riding technique" forum added?

:)

I'll second that. I think it's a great idea, forum members could ask questions and receive advice from others in a specific area of the site. It would negate the need to do a word specific search as I did a couple of days ago when I was seeking advice on wet-weather riding techniques. I got a lot of non-specific results. Of course I'd plead guilty to not using the search facility properly too :o

Anteraan
April 23rd, 2010, 07:23 AM
Excellent idea, Kelly. Great stuff for us nooblets, and even those of us who have ridden for a while but never got formal instruction (outside of MSF) or track time.

chrisenglandus
April 23rd, 2010, 07:29 AM
I would welcome such a forum

rockNroll
April 23rd, 2010, 09:39 AM
I think that would be a bad idea.

rockNroll
April 23rd, 2010, 09:40 AM
It's a mood thing.

2WheelGuy
April 23rd, 2010, 10:09 AM
Motorcycle riding technique (adapted from skiing):

Ride very, very fast. If something gets in your way, turn.

CC Cowboy
April 23rd, 2010, 10:33 AM
I think there could be some bad advice given, then the arguments of who is correct will follow.

Riding advice should be taken from an expert. There are enough books to read however; there is nothing like a track school you get you going in the right direction. The price of admission is cheaper then the crash.

kkim
April 23rd, 2010, 01:18 PM
Actually, cc, the idea for a riding specific forum came from the arguments/sore asses in recent threads. If there were a dedicated forum for riders who wanted help, instead of unsolicited advice, I think/hope the number of arguments would be less.

The spectrum of riding experience on this forum is very broad, so I was hoping the more experienced members would be more on board with the idea than not. The intent is to help the forum members that want/ask for help and in that process help others learn. For those that don't want help, they can skip the forum entirely.

We have DIY threads and no one argues that the info displayed there should only come from a professional and that the DIY have already been covered in books... hell, any subject/topic we discuss in a forum has already been in print somewhere.

Other forums I am on have riding technique forums and the advice given is most times very good and discussions quite mature. Sure there are differences in style, but the mechanics to accomplish most tasks are basic.

CC Cowboy
April 23rd, 2010, 02:33 PM
Kelly, it's worth a shot. The only problem I foresee is the riders who think they know what they are talking about and really don't. In the DIY forum no one is likely to get hurt from bad advice.

OldGuy
April 23rd, 2010, 02:43 PM
Good idea Kelly and I think cc also has some valid points. Maybe the thread starts with links to the "accepted" knowledge sources that are out there (as in books) and includes a disclaimer on liability. As you said there is enough experience that if someone makes a wrong/dumass remark it can be corrected/commnedted on or if dangerious removed.

Sure bears further talk and thinking.

Alex
April 23rd, 2010, 02:50 PM
I'm happy to entertain the idea, but I'm not fully on board with it as of yet. Not because bad advice might be given out (and it certainly might, a good portion of my advice is likely terrible :)), but because I think it is a topic that is so broad that it's hard to figure out what would be in that forum and what would be in General. Talking about going to MSF, is that in riding techniques, or general. Many of the threads in general could be in a techniques forum, or could stay in general, and I think the line is particularly fuzzy, compared to some other topics. Everything we do on a bike is technique in some form or another.

On the other hand, if the forum is limited to something like "rider education", then it becomes too limiting and would only cover things like going to the MSF, which can fit in a few threads. Anything to do with track schools is already well covered in the ninjettes at speed forum.

Go through the general forum now, and see if it's easy to classify which threads would be in this new proposed forum, and which wouldn't be, and see if separate them out would really help this site. :idunno: as of yet...

kkim
April 23rd, 2010, 03:35 PM
Alex,

Thanks for at least considering the idea. I know your feelings on frivolously adding forums, but this is an area that I don't see addressed in the current forums we have. With so many first time riders on this site, I just felt a forum such as this could increase the rider knowledge base to steepen the learning curve to help avoid common mistakes which often happen during those critical first few months of riding.

I was hoping for suggestions as to how to make the forum more encompassing, but still pertain to rider education, riding basics mechanics, riding philosophy, etc. Perhaps "Rider Technique" is not the right name for what I'm suggesting. I know you're pretty good at targeting wording for forum descriptions. :)

And I fully agree it would be quite difficult to sort what should be in the forum or not looking at how threads are started in the general section.

My idea was to have a forum for direct questions when someone wanted to know, for example, when to use the rear brake. :D There are so many different opinions on a subject as simple as that, but yet, the info would be there for anyone looking for opinions on how best to utilize it.

I'm hoping (most likely wrong) that people could refrain from being insulted and a true exchange of ideas could occur for the betterment of the general forum membership looking to increase their skill level to help make them a better rider. Isn't that something we all should be striving for?

CC Cowboy
April 23rd, 2010, 04:07 PM
Alex,

Thanks for at least considering the idea. I know your feelings on frivolously adding forums, but this is an area that I don't see addressed in the current forums we have. With so many first time riders on this site, I just felt a forum such as this could increase the rider knowledge base to steepen the learning curve to help avoid common mistakes which often happen during those critical first few months of riding.

I was hoping for suggestions as to how to make the forum more encompassing, but still pertain to rider education, riding basics mechanics, riding philosophy, etc. Perhaps "Rider Technique" is not the right name for what I'm suggesting. I know you're pretty good at targeting wording for forum descriptions. :)

And I fully agree it would be quite difficult to sort what should be in the forum or not looking at how threads are started in the general section.

My idea was to have a forum for direct questions when someone wanted to know, for example, when to use the rear brake. :D There are so many different opinions on a subject as simple as that, but yet, the info would be there for anyone looking for opinions on how best to utilize it.

I'm hoping (most likely wrong) that people could refrain from being insulted and a true exchange of ideas could occur for the betterment of the general forum membership looking to increase their skill level to help make them a better rider. Isn't that something we all should be striving for?

I can't hold my tongue for that long!

g21-30
April 23rd, 2010, 06:27 PM
I can't hold my tongue for that long!

Excellent point, CC. :thumbup: I'm with you on that thought. Of course, I'm no where near you in experience, but do try to listen to most of your riding suggestions.

I just felt a forum such as this could increase the rider knowledge base to steepen the learning curve to help avoid common mistakes which often happen during those critical first few months of riding.

kkim, I don't know how us newbees (after 4000 miles, I still remember that I'm new to this skill!) would know who is giving good info. Example, Gary J's book quotes that I posted drew quite a bit of negative response, even though I consider him a VERY knowledgeable rider and would not hesitate to follow his suggestions (and have been practicing same). I guess it's still YMMV!

kkim
April 23rd, 2010, 06:32 PM
It always is on a public forum. What we all provide are opinions. What you read on any forum should be taken with a grain of salt.

People should be able to read the responses and take away from it what they want, as it is with any thread on any forum.

Snake
April 24th, 2010, 04:50 AM
I think that would be a bad idea.

It's a mood thing.

Take your Midol dude.

gogoKawi
April 25th, 2010, 09:15 AM
I see what Alex is saying in regard to the number of topics that would be in said forum and the potential confusion between General Discussion and Technique. I don't know if riding technique will have enough posts to warrant a separate forum.

But... I can see the benefit of this forum. I've searched countless times to learn how others ride their motorcycles. The riding in the wind forum (http://www.ninjette.org/forums/showthread.php?t=11498) was invaluable. I think there was one on seat (butt) position. It was funny, but still had some good info. Was it a pain to search for these? Not really. But it would have been cool to have them all sectioned off on their own.

Will there be bad advice? Absolutely. There is already bad advice given in this forum. But, we have a pretty active community. The bad advice is usually labelled as such and disputed. The overwhelming majority of the disputes are handled civilly (which is rare for the internet and what I love about this forum). Not to mention, I love hearing several opinions on a situation. It adds to the richness of the conversation. I'm more worried about getting bad advice from another rider on the road than here. I'm pretty trusting of you guys. :thumbup:

CC Cowboy
April 25th, 2010, 11:05 AM
Now would the discussion of "Neezhnies" and how they affect the "Yarbles" be considered riding technique?

ninja250
April 25th, 2010, 11:18 AM
I liked the idea of a crash forum.
Most places have them. Keeps a bunch of drama off the front page.
"Discuss or post your crash pics and videos in here"

sofo
April 25th, 2010, 11:23 AM
I've been working on some forum ideas for a project and was thinking about post ratings. A forum like this technique forum, a great idea btw would really benefit from that since in time, posts that are legit help would get rated / modded / liked up and then by who is doing this, you get to know trust the words and the people.

Alex
May 8th, 2010, 07:33 PM
K - it's up.

http://www.ninjette.org/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=39

Moved a pile of threads over from General. Likely missed some, so if you see any that belong there just post up in the thread and I'll see it at some point... :thumbup:

kkim
May 8th, 2010, 08:03 PM
Thank you.

Snake
May 9th, 2010, 04:56 AM
Than KKim for the idea and Alex for taking the time to think about it and making it happen.

CC Cowboy
May 9th, 2010, 09:02 AM
Now that there is a technique forum I bet there will be no mores crashes from our members. We should have done this sooner.

Alex
May 9th, 2010, 01:33 PM
Well, up until we create a Crash forum so people can remember how to do it. :)

ninja250
May 11th, 2010, 08:35 AM
I think showing all the crashes more along the lines of helps people not to crash.. than antagonizes them to do it.

Showing my crash sure didn't get people out there pointed at rails now did it? "Scared straight"

Negativity towards those who crash has been shown to not help much either now, hasn't it?!

No matter how often you tell someone to ride the track, they're still going to use your "techniques" on the street and end up getting hurt. I can think of one example right now that isn't me.

Experience won't help (well, to some extent it will). I don't care if you're pro. You are still going to find your down.

CRXTrek
May 11th, 2010, 01:06 PM
If you push your limits,eventually you will pass your limit !

CC Cowboy
May 11th, 2010, 02:44 PM
If you push your limits,eventually you will pass your limit !

So if you stay within your limits you should be OK?