View Full Version : Helmet Replacement Interval?

Snake
April 24th, 2010, 09:59 AM
How often should a motorcycle helmet be replaced? I have heard (no actual data) that they should be replaced every two years or upon impact (which includes dropping it on the ground. I know there are people out there that probably have the same helmet for 5 or more years?

So what is the truth? What's the life expectancy of a helmet?

Alex
April 24th, 2010, 10:13 AM
I've always seen 5 yrs, certainly not 2 yrs. Some good info in this video from an Arai guy with Jay Leno:

http://www.jaylenosgarage.com/video/clips/arai-helmets/283819/

Ovd3KGu6BgU

JokerSeven
April 24th, 2010, 10:20 AM
Umm...... everytime a cool new color scheme comes out. :thumbup:

CC Cowboy
April 24th, 2010, 12:40 PM
I used to buy a new one every year. Now every 2 or 3 years.

Ryosen11
April 24th, 2010, 01:05 PM
5 years from manufacture? Is it printed on a helmet?

LazinCajun
April 24th, 2010, 01:20 PM
Yep! If you can't find it, check your helmet's manual or the manufacturer's website.

addy126
April 24th, 2010, 01:49 PM
Umm...... everytime a cool new color scheme comes out. :thumbup:

:whathesaid: most definately:thumbup:

zenrush
April 24th, 2010, 02:51 PM
I took the MSF this past weekend. We were told a helmet is good for 5 years or 1 impact. An impact includes falling off the motorcycle seat and hitting the driveway.

ScorpionNinja
April 24th, 2010, 03:16 PM
I took the MSF this past weekend. We were told a helmet is good for 5 years or 1 impact. An impact includes falling off the motorcycle seat and hitting the driveway.

Ouch, then i should JUNK my scorpion 400 LOL

kkim
April 24th, 2010, 03:32 PM
Ouch, then i should JUNK my scorpion 400 LOL

if it's been dropped, then yes, which is why I never leave my helmet just sitting on the seat when at a rest stop.

Snake
April 24th, 2010, 04:24 PM
Thanks everyone for all the input. It looks like the interval is every 5 years or if it is dropped/suffers an impact. Looks like I need to start looking for a new one.

LazinCajun
April 24th, 2010, 09:26 PM
if it's been dropped, then yes, which is why I never leave my helmet just sitting on the seat when at a rest stop.

I've always heard this, but was surprised to hear the Arai guy in the video with Jay Leno say that generally they're fine if they fall from a few feet. I'll have to do some more research, I suppose. :confused20: I guess there's no harm in being careful in either case.

revstriker
April 25th, 2010, 09:25 AM
I'm not sure if there are other companies that do this, but I know with Arai, you can send the the helmet and they will inspect it and certify if it is still usable.

KTRacing38
April 25th, 2010, 02:03 PM
It depends on how much your noodle is worth to you.

Any time I've crashed and hit my head, I've replaced my helmet. But I've also dropped a helmet before and still used it. If if fell down a flight of stairs, I'd replace it. The only way to find out if the integrity of the helmet has been compromised is to have it x-rayed.

If in doubt, replace it, because you can't replace your brain. :eek:

addy126
April 25th, 2010, 02:05 PM
Thanks everyone for all the input. It looks like the interval is every 5 years or if it is dropped/suffers an impact. Looks like I need to start looking for a new one.

Ewwww Rick something to look forward too!!!! :thumbup:
Excellent opportunity to shop the new products.... u have any favorites at the moment?

Snake
April 25th, 2010, 03:25 PM
^^^ No favorites yet but this gives me the excuse I need to buy a Blue tooth equiped helmet.

CC Cowboy
April 25th, 2010, 03:46 PM
It depends on how much your noodle is worth to you.

Any time I've crashed and hit my head, I've replaced my helmet. But I've also dropped a helmet before and still used it. If if fell down a flight of stairs, I'd replace it. The only way to find out if the integrity of the helmet has been compromised is to have it x-rayed.

If in doubt, replace your brain. :eek:

So how many times have you hit your head?

KTRacing38
April 25th, 2010, 04:43 PM
So how many times have you hit your head?

:o

love how you changed the last line CC!

Talonne
August 6th, 2010, 10:31 AM
What are your thoughts on when you should replace your helmet? That is, assuming you didn't crash with it, drop it, screw up the outer shell with paint, etc. If it is in perfectly "good" shape, when should it be replaced?

I keep hearing 5 years. Is there any info to back this up, or are helmet manufacturers just trying to get us to buy new ones?

My helmet was a discontinued model on super-sale, so I could have purchased it in its 2nd, 3rd year of life. Do you start the clock when you start wearing it, or do components start decaying over time regardless?

bob706
August 6th, 2010, 10:39 AM
Somewhere inside the lid should be a manufacture date. I've heard 3-5 years and then replace. Something about the foam degrading or drying out.

TenaciousD
August 6th, 2010, 10:46 AM
A new helmet sitting in its factory box on a shelf is not going to significantly degrade. Once you start exposing it to sun, sweat, fumes, vibration, etc., then it will eventually wear out. A good rule of thumb is 5 years, but you should use your own judgement.

dubojr1
August 6th, 2010, 10:56 AM
I've had my Arai since 2004 and it is still in as good as shape as it was when I got it. Well it does have one rock chip in it now... :mad:

sofo
August 6th, 2010, 11:08 AM
The EPS foam inside the helmet (not the soft liner, but the hard foam attached to the inside of the shell) degrades with normal use from cold / heat, sweat and other moisture as well as other things like chemical fumes etc. The other thing to keep in mind is general wear and tear like the attachments, glue, seams, weatherproofing etc. that also degrade.

The 3 - 5 year rule may be a little much considering the technology that could be used to extend a helmet's life but from what I have heard / read this is the average age where EPS starts to lose it's effectiveness and thus protection ability and should be replaced.

I recently dropped my HJC AC-12 (again but worse this time) and replaced it though I believe it still does offer sound protection, I just err on the side of caution when it comes to my head. Plus now I have a nice carbon-fibre planter for my herb garden.

bdavison
August 6th, 2010, 11:09 AM
5 years tops.
It doesnt matter if it still looks good....after 5 years replace it.

The foam liner degrades during time, and it will become hard and brittle. It will still look ok, but it has lost its protective properties.

Alex
August 6th, 2010, 11:19 AM
Good question -

Took me a moment to find it, but I was sure there were some good threads on this. Here are two links on the topic:

http://www.ninjette.org/forums/showthread.php?t=43090

and

http://www.ninjette.org/forums/showthread.php?t=16890

jmgrande
August 6th, 2010, 11:19 AM
A new helmet sitting in its factory box on a shelf is not going to significantly degrade. Once you start exposing it to sun, sweat, fumes, vibration, etc., then it will eventually wear out. A good rule of thumb is 5 years, but you should use your own judgement.

+1

Helmets should also be replaced if they have been dropped or in a crash.

Note that Snell updates there certification every 5 years! :)

Alex
August 6th, 2010, 11:21 AM
Heck, you know that these threads are so similar, I'm going to tack this one on to the end of the other one just to make searches easier going forward.

/threads merged

dubojr1
August 6th, 2010, 11:29 AM
5 years tops.
It doesnt matter if it still looks good....after 5 years replace it.

The foam liner degrades during time, and it will become hard and brittle. It will still look ok, but it has lost its protective properties.

Hmmm. I need some scientific proof. I will find it hard to spend $600 on a helmet every 5 years. Research time!

adouglas
August 6th, 2010, 12:12 PM
You spend $600 on a helmet? What for?

Thanks to fashion changes and constant closeouts you can get Snell-certified helmets for a tick over $100. I paid $109 for mine.

Anyway, a bit of an anecdote. I was away from motorcycling for a number of years, and when I decided to start riding again I rooted around in the closet and found my first helmet... a Nolan from the mid-1980s. Over 20 years old.

The EPS liner was as hard as concrete, the soft foam was turning to dust and all the glue on it was useless. The shell was nice, though.

So yeah, they definitely have a lifespan whether you're wearing them or not.

KimR
August 6th, 2010, 12:26 PM
WERA and most tracks I've looked at require a helmet no older than 5 years.

jmgrande
August 6th, 2010, 12:27 PM

Thanks to fashion changes and constant closeouts you can get Snell-certified helmets for a tick over $100.

Yes, closeout helmets that have a 5 year old Snell certification. You get what you pay for.

Safety is constantly being improved upon. Did you know that the newer more expensive helmets have crash and crumple zones just like cars do? In a crash they crumple to protect your head and certain parts of it.

You can't put a price on safety or your head. Wearing gear is taking responsibility for our riding.

I'm not saying you should be wearing race gear on the road, but wouldn't you want the best, most technological advanced gear out there? I know I do.

Example:
SHOEI's RF-1000 is considered there best street helmet, next to there race (X-11, and X-12). The RF-1100 is an improved version of the RF-1000 for 2010. Everyone said I could get a RF-1000 for just under $300. I instead ordered a RF-1100 for $310. Besides minor differences in the updated RF-1100, the RF-1100 comes with Snell's 2010 certification while the RF-1000 carries Snell's 2005 certification.

Think about how technology changes over 5 years. Now in 2010, I have a cellphone that can literally do anything, internet, nav, email, pictures...anything I can think of, it does. If I think back to 2005, I don't even remember if my phone had a camera, or was txt capable. Heck it was probably the size of a cinder block.

Think about it.

Just my thoughts.

dubojr1
August 6th, 2010, 12:46 PM

Thanks to fashion changes and constant closeouts you can get Snell-certified helmets for a tick over $100. I paid $109 for mine.

Anyway, a bit of an anecdote. I was away from motorcycling for a number of years, and when I decided to start riding again I rooted around in the closet and found my first helmet... a Nolan from the mid-1980s. Over 20 years old.

The EPS liner was as hard as concrete, the soft foam was turning to dust and all the glue on it was useless. The shell was nice, though.

So yeah, they definitely have a lifespan whether you're wearing them or not.

Yeah, Arai replica's are not cheap. One of the best helmets by far though. The old saying is always true... You get what you pay for.

http://www.ninjette.org/forums/picture.php?albumid=393&pictureid=3553

adouglas
August 6th, 2010, 01:02 PM
Well, comparing the blistering pace of microelectronics development to the pace of advance in helmets is a bit like comparing apples to... oh, say, codfish.

EPS is still EPS. Fiberglass is still fiberglass. Spectra is still spectra. There haven't been any world-shaking breakthroughs in resin lately, either.

Oh, and yeah, I know about the fluted liners and crumple zones. Nice idea. but purpose of EPS foam is to crumple and absorb energy anyway. My OH MY GOD IT'S OBSOLETE! helmet DOES have a crumple zone. It's filled with EPS.

Yes, they update the standards every five years. That doesn't make the current helmets orders of magnitude better than those with the older certification. They don't change THAT much. The old standard isn't garbage just because a new standard is issued by policy decision.

For reference, WBW did a report on the new Snell standard. In some respects (e.g. peak force limits), for my head size, the requirements of the two are identical.

http://www.webbikeworld.com/motorcycle-helmets/snell-2010-standard.htm

Is the 2010 standard more stringent? Overall, yes. Is it that much more stringent... enough to warrant spending FIVE HUNDRED DOLLARS just to get it? Well, not for me.

"You get what you pay for" is only true up to a point.

If money equals safety and you can't put a price on safety, then are you driving a car that costs as much as your house? If not, WHY not? Rhetorical question... the answer, of course, is because you are satisfied with the level of safety provided by your current vehicle.

Certification standards exist to ensure that the protection offered by compliant helmets rises to a certain minimum acceptable level, regardless of the name on the helmet or how much it costs. There's nothing to stop a given helmet - regardless of price - from exceeding the minimum.

The helmet I've got (Joe Rocket RKT101, Snell 2005) is darned near identical to the current version (RKT201, Snell 2010) in a physical sense.

The difference in production costs between helmets is not large. It certainly doesn't cost six times as much to produce that $600 helmet, unless it's using truly exotic materials in the shell. Again, EPS is EPS....

Without detailed, OBJECTIVE proof, I seriously doubt a $600 helmet provides a six-fold increase in protection over my $100 helmet.

CZroe
August 6th, 2010, 01:04 PM
I've always heard this, but was surprised to hear the Arai guy in the video with Jay Leno say that generally they're fine if they fall from a few feet. I'll have to do some more research, I suppose. :confused20: I guess there's no harm in being careful in either case.

I just read on the SNELL Moto Foundation's online FAQ that dropping an empty helmet is not the same as an impact a loaded helmet with a head inside and that it is generally OK unless dropped at highway speed. This flys in the face of everything I have been told elsewhere including the MSF, but it makes sense. It also makes sense that the impact absorption is diminished/used up in an impact. It isn't reusable. If the foam has compressed any at all, it isn't providing the same protection. You can't see what it's like on the shell side, so you can't just inspect one, but it's less likely to compress without a head inside pressing on it.

Edit: Here it is. (http://www.smf.org/faqs.html#15)

I dropped my helmet! Do I have to go buy a new one?
Generally the answer is probably not. Helmets are one use items, but are quite durable otherwise, at least the ones we certify. Frequent dropping or spiking a helmet on the ground, or other hard surfaces may eventually degrade the helmet's performance. Similarly if the helmet falls to the ground at highway speeds unoccupied the owner must be aware that some degradation may have occurred. In general the real damage comes when the helmet contacts an object with a head inside. The Foundation recommends that if you are participating in an activity that requires that you wear a helmet, that you avoid hitting stuff with your head. It can be difficult to readily determine if a helmet has been damaged, and the protective capabilities compromised without a thorough inspection by a trained professional. Some manufacturers may provide this service or direct you to these others that can perform these inspections. The Foundation recommends that if you suspect your helmet may be compromised, then replace it. If the helmet has been involved in an impact while in use, replace it.

CZroe
August 6th, 2010, 01:11 PM
Yes, closeout helmets that have a 5 year old Snell certification. You get what you pay for.

Safety is constantly being improved upon. Did you know that the newer more expensive helmets have crash and crumple zones just like cars do? In a crash they crumple to protect your head and certain parts of it.

You can't put a price on safety or your head. Wearing gear is taking responsibility for our riding.

I'm not saying you should be wearing race gear on the road, but wouldn't you want the best, most technological advanced gear out there? I know I do.

Example:
SHOEI's RF-1000 is considered there best street helmet, next to there race (X-11, and X-12). The RF-1100 is an improved version of the RF-1000 for 2010. Everyone said I could get a RF-1000 for just under $300. I instead ordered a RF-1100 for $310. Besides minor differences in the updated RF-1100, the RF-1100 comes with Snell's 2010 certification while the RF-1000 carries Snell's 2005 certification.

Think about how technology changes over 5 years. Now in 2010, I have a cellphone that can literally do anything, internet, nav, email, pictures...anything I can think of, it does. If I think back to 2005, I don't even remember if my phone had a camera, or was txt capable. Heck it was probably the size of a cinder block.

Think about it.

Just my thoughts.

Are you forgetting that SNELL 2005 was still current last year? I bought my iPhone 3G right around when I bought my NEW $100 GMAX SNELL2005 helmet in 2008 and it has the same specs as the 2007 model (original iPhone) and my iPhone 4 can't do much better (zippy, yes, but the 3G used to be before software updates slowed it down).

tjkamper
August 6th, 2010, 01:12 PM
I've heard it recommended that you should replace a helmet every two years. I think that is excessive, but I would never go more than 5. Plus if you notice any unussual wear or damage, Change it early. It is a lot of money, but you head is worth more.

jmgrande
August 6th, 2010, 01:50 PM
Are you forgetting that SNELL 2005 was still current last year? I bought my iPhone 3G right around when I bought my NEW $100 GMAX SNELL2005 helmet in 2008 and it has the same specs as the 2007 model (original iPhone) and my iPhone 4 can't do much better (zippy, yes, but the 3G used to be before software updates slowed it down).

It was the rating from 2005. Then they spent 5 years of testing to make the 2010 certification. Phones might not be the best example, but sticking with it, your 3G couldn't even take simple videos and now the iPhone 4 is capable of face-to-face video chat. (That's not even taking into consideration the all new case design, better screen, better interface, and better processor)

Like I said just my thoughts, to his or her, their own.

Safe riding everyone!

Final thoughts, after reading the Snell website in depth, a $100 helmet with an updated Snell rating is just as safe as a $400.

"Why do Snell-certified helmets cost more?
Snell certified helmets are available in almost every price range. Other features such as style and comfort are also important in determining helmet price. However, building consistent protective performance into a helmet does cost money. The costs are in the design and development, the materials and most of all in quality control. Snell certification is your best assurance that the manufacturer has made, and continues to make this investment in your safety.

What's the difference between a $100 Snell certified helmet and a $400 Snell certified Helmet.
While helmets are primarily a protective device, the true protective capabilities of a helmet, if needed will only come into play for about 2 to 4 milliseconds during the lifetime of the helmet. This leaves a lot of time for that helmet to be doing nothing more than sitting around on a users head. Producing a product that meets the standards is not really very difficult. Producing a helmet that people will buy and wear, and will consistently meet the standards is significantly more difficult. The Snell standards do not measure factors like comfort, ventilation, brand recognition or style, and only indirectly look at fit, weight, materials and workmanship. These are factors that frequently drive helmet cost. "

And for those wondering:

"I dropped my helmet! Do I have to go buy a new one?
Generally the answer is probably not. Helmets are one use items, but are quite durable otherwise, at least the ones we certify. Frequent dropping or spiking a helmet on the ground, or other hard surfaces may eventually degrade the helmet's performance. Similarly if the helmet falls to the ground at highway speeds unoccupied the owner must be aware that some degradation may have occurred. In general the real damage comes when the helmet contacts an object with a head inside. The Foundation recommends that if you are participating in an activity that requires that you wear a helmet, that you avoid hitting stuff with your head. It can be difficult to readily determine if a helmet has been damaged, and the protective capabilities compromised without a thorough inspection by a trained professional. Some manufacturers may provide this service or direct you to these others that can perform these inspections. The Foundation recommends that if you suspect your helmet may be compromised, then replace it. If the helmet has been involved in an impact while in use, replace it."

www.smf.org

bdavison
August 6th, 2010, 01:59 PM
I think its time to bandsaw a old helmet.

CZroe
August 6th, 2010, 02:03 PM
It was the rating from 2005. Then they spent 5 years of testing to make the 2010 certification. Phones might not be the best example, but sticking with it, your 3G couldn't even take simple videos and now the iPhone 4 is capable of face-to-face video chat. (That's not even taking into consideration the all new case design, better screen, better interface, and better processor)

Like I said just my thoughts, to his or her, their own.

Safe riding everyone!

Oh, the iPhone 3G and original iPhone were certainly CAPABLE, just restricted, which was a point of MUCH criticism. Apple FINALLY allowed video recording apps for them on the App Store sometime last year. When I bought my helmet 2 years ago (2008), it was a 1yr old design (2007) based on a cert established only 2 years before that (2005). Even putting it that way is unfair considering that it was the current certification standard for years to come. 5 years really isn't that much time. The XBOX 360 launched then and it's not considered obsolete!

adouglas
August 6th, 2010, 02:10 PM
Good point about the standards not addressing things like features and fit.

FWIW, my selection criteria were fit first, certification second, features and price tied for third, and appearance last.

In other words, I did NOT equate price with quality or suitability for the purpose. But at the same time, if I were forced to spend a lot to get a helmet that fit, I would have.

This is because regardless of certification standard, cost, features or anything else, a helmet must fit properly to work. Period.

I know that Arai makes a bunch of different helmet shapes, but I couldn't find more than a handful to try on, and none of them fit as well as the helmet I bought.

I could have bought the much more expensive helmet... but it would not be protecting me as well as the one I did buy because of poor fit. As it happens, the helmet I got fits me so well it could have been custom-made for me.

Alex
August 6th, 2010, 02:14 PM
I was launched in the early 70's, and I'm not even close to obsolete. :)

sofo
August 6th, 2010, 02:14 PM
Wow... just frickin' wow.

Well, comparing the blistering pace of microelectronics development to the pace of advance in helmets is a bit like comparing apples to... oh, say, codfish.

EPS is still EPS. Fiberglass is still fiberglass. Spectra is still spectra. There haven't been any world-shaking breakthroughs in resin lately, either.

Oh, and yeah, I know about the fluted liners and crumple zones. Nice idea. but purpose of EPS foam is to crumple and absorb energy anyway. My OH MY GOD IT'S OBSOLETE! helmet DOES have a crumple zone. It's filled with EPS.

Yes, they update the standards every five years. That doesn't make the current helmets orders of magnitude better than those with the older certification. They don't change THAT much. The old standard isn't garbage just because a new standard is issued by policy decision.

For reference, WBW did a report on the new Snell standard. In some respects (e.g. peak force limits), for my head size, the requirements of the two are identical.

http://www.webbikeworld.com/motorcycle-helmets/snell-2010-standard.htm

Is the 2010 standard more stringent? Overall, yes. Is it that much more stringent... enough to warrant spending FIVE HUNDRED DOLLARS just to get it? Well, not for me.

"You get what you pay for" is only true up to a point.

If money equals safety and you can't put a price on safety, then are you driving a car that costs as much as your house? If not, WHY not? Rhetorical question... the answer, of course, is because you are satisfied with the level of safety provided by your current vehicle.

Certification standards exist to ensure that the protection offered by compliant helmets rises to a certain minimum acceptable level, regardless of the name on the helmet or how much it costs. There's nothing to stop a given helmet - regardless of price - from exceeding the minimum.

The helmet I've got (Joe Rocket RKT101, Snell 2005) is darned near identical to the current version (RKT201, Snell 2010) in a physical sense.

The difference in production costs between helmets is not large. It certainly doesn't cost six times as much to produce that $600 helmet, unless it's using truly exotic materials in the shell. Again, EPS is EPS....

Without detailed, OBJECTIVE proof, I seriously doubt a $600 helmet provides a six-fold increase in protection over my $100 helmet.

Alex
August 6th, 2010, 02:17 PM
Wow... just frickin' wow.

Yup, I had the same thought. I truly enjoy having professional writers on this board. :thumbup: Makes me feel guilty when I can only come up with a line or two of drivel.

sofo
August 6th, 2010, 02:32 PM
Yup, I had the same thought. I truly enjoy having professional writers on this board. :thumbup: Makes me feel guilty when I can only come up with a line or two of drivel.

Well, the writing may be professional, but I wasn't commenting on that.

Talonne
August 6th, 2010, 05:18 PM
I guess there's not really any consensus as to when to replace an undamaged helmet, judging by these replies? (Snell arguments aside -- I'm fine with using a helmet certified with a slightly older standard.) I'm just really curious as to how much degradation happens while sitting in a box, and if date of manufacture really matters.

Actually I don't even know where to find the manufacture date. My helmet is an Arai Astral-X. Can someone tell me where to look without having to rip all the padding out? I've tried pushing it aside and didn't see anything.

sofo
August 6th, 2010, 07:17 PM
I guess there's not really any consensus as to when to replace an undamaged helmet, judging by these replies? (Snell arguments aside -- I'm fine with using a helmet certified with a slightly older standard.) I'm just really curious as to how much degradation happens while sitting in a box, and if date of manufacture really matters.

I had read some information specific to EPS foam that detailed the degradation over time, I'll try and find / remember the link(s).

Actually I don't even know where to find the manufacture date. My helmet is an Arai Astral-X. Can someone tell me where to look without having to rip all the padding out? I've tried pushing it aside and didn't see anything.

According to an Arai Support Page (http://www.araiamericas.com/support.asp?page=support/warranty.asp) it should be on one of the chin straps. Hope this helps.

adouglas
August 7th, 2010, 07:29 AM
Well, the writing may be professional, but I wasn't commenting on that.

Perhaps you were commenting on the fact that we have the same first name?

What's your viewpoint? I enjoy debates like this.

adouglas
August 7th, 2010, 07:37 AM
Here you go:

http://www.boutiqueruby.com

$965 US.

Do you get what you pay for?

I wouldn't wear it.

adouglas
August 7th, 2010, 06:13 PM
If there is damage it could be hidden.

A laminated (glass/carbon/spectra/kevlar) helmet could suffer damage by delaminating. This may not be visible from the outside or by looking at the inside of the helmet with the padding and EPS liner in place.

I suppose it might also be possible for a helmet to deform enough to partly crush the EPS foam where it contacts the shell. This too would be invisible.

But to be honest, I agree that an empty helmet falling three feet to the ground is unlikely to be compromised.

sofo
August 7th, 2010, 06:35 PM
Perhaps you were commenting on the fact that we have the same first name?

What's your viewpoint? I enjoy debates like this.

Your point was well made, but the cost of a helmet is a worthless debate. If you don't think a helmet is worth $600... fine. But others do and aside from protection there are valid reasons for one helmet being more expensive than another. I just think you went off on the cost and then confused with the safety rating, and SNELL is not the benchmark.

It's not you Andrew, it's me Andrew who has argued with people over the cost of helmets long enough to have a stick in my bum over the matter.

Note my current bucket cost $360 Canadian, so I'm not a high-end helmet lover. But next year when I buy a second helmet, since I'm not making the mistake of going with just one again, I'm planning to check out any and all and if I find a $1000 Arai Profile that fits, feels and looks as good as I need it to, it will be mine.

adouglas
August 7th, 2010, 06:53 PM
Your point was well made, but the cost of a helmet is a worthless debate. If you don't think a helmet is worth $600... fine. But others do and aside from protection there are valid reasons for one helmet being more expensive than another. I just think you went off on the cost and then confused with the safety rating, and SNELL is not the benchmark.

It's not you Andrew, it's me Andrew who has argued with people over the cost of helmets long enough to have a stick in my bum over the matter.

Note my current bucket cost $360 Canadian, so I'm not a high-end helmet lover. But next year when I buy a second helmet, since I'm not making the mistake of going with just one again, I'm planning to check out any and all and if I find a $1000 Arai Profile that fits, feels and looks as good as I need it to, it will be mine.

Point taken. However, I must correct you on something. I didn't go off on the cost alone. I went off on the statement that "you get what you pay for" and the direct link of price to safety.

A $600 helmet may very well be worth $600 to a given individual for one reason or another. But there is not necessarily a one-to-one correlation between safety and the cost of the helmet IMHO.

sofo
August 7th, 2010, 08:14 PM
Point taken. However, I must correct you on something. I didn't go off on the cost alone. I went off on the statement that "you get what you pay for" and the direct link of price to safety.

Not the post I was referring to but your earlier one, however I'm not trying to start a fight since Andrews divided are nowhere near as strong as Andrews united.

A $600 helmet may very well be worth $600 to a given individual for one reason or another. But there is not necessarily a one-to-one correlation between safety and the cost of the helmet IMHO.

Not one to one IMO either, but in my experience there is a general increase in quality and features between sub $300 helmets up to the $700 range. Under $300 is shaky ground but if you are starting out or budget-constrained, I don't argue. The $700-up range is like high-end audio equipment, a lot of money for at times, little difference, however there are some great helmets up there that are truly lust worthy.

The sweet spot IMO is the $500 range in which exists some very good examples of helmets far into the $700 range in terms of quality, features and safety rating, such as AGV, ICON, and Scorpion that also have enough shape and shell size variation to be perfect for 95% of the people in this world.

Which brings me to the conclusion that pains me somewhat since I end up sounding like one of the Arai / Shoei zealots but I think anyone seriously looking for a very good helmet and can drop the coin on one, should start here first.

In terms of safety, with no disrespect to what SNELL is trying to accomplish, I strongly believe that "world-standard" certified helmets, like those from the three manufacturers I mention above are what people need to look at.

Not sure if the point I'm making has tangented off but now I'm all self-concious about post quality amongst these pros. ;)

Talonne
August 7th, 2010, 11:49 PM
Hah. My helmet was manufactured in 2006!!! (Thanks for the link, Sofo!) I bought it and started wearing it last year, so I basically have a helmet with a 2 year life. :( That's ass. I guess that's the price I pay for getting a sale helmet.

adouglas
August 8th, 2010, 09:02 AM
In terms of safety, with no disrespect to what SNELL is trying to accomplish, I strongly believe that "world-standard" certified helmets, like those from the three manufacturers I mention above are what people need to look at.

That was the point of Snell 2010, wasn't it? To get the standards to line up better?

Alex
August 8th, 2010, 01:37 PM
It was the point, but Snell @*#&(@#*( it up again, and the final standard wasn't compatible with the latest ECE standards. As of right now, there isn't a single helmet that meets both ECE and Snell M2010, and it's possible that there never will be, despite Snell saying that was one of the goals of the new standard.

ztrack157
August 8th, 2010, 04:49 PM
Rockhard series from O'Neal was the only helmet to meet all certifications. Not sure about the snell 2010 (which it will meet) and new ece (probably not) though.

alex.s
October 13th, 2014, 10:54 AM
CDe3habbuww

short answer: if it falls without your head in it, probably fine. what screws the helmet is compressing the polystyrene inside. once it is compressed it does not uncompress. one time compression only.

BlownWideOpen
October 13th, 2014, 11:03 AM
I tried explaining this to people, but they believe the foam will still crack/compress and be garbage...

csmith12
October 13th, 2014, 11:07 AM
Imagine if MX riders bought a new lid each time....

MrAtom
October 13th, 2014, 11:08 AM
I don't think it matters a bunch if you drop it, but I think invisible damage can happen. Don't always have full confidence (Solid advice for anything pertaining to motorcycles, really).

alex.s
October 13th, 2014, 11:12 AM
take a 2 inch piece of styrofoam and put it on your hand and punch a wall. not much happened right? now take a 12lb weight and tape the foam to it and drop it on concrete. notice how the foam is much smaller now.

we have taken an axe and sledge hammer to a retired helmet. the shell is basically indestructable and as long as the foam isn't already compressed, it's still a solid helmet. it took us probably half an hour of wacking this helmet with full swing strikes with an AXE and it took probably at least 8 solid hits before even a crack had formed.

Alex
October 13th, 2014, 11:30 AM
:thumbup: Always have liked this video.

ninjamunky85
October 13th, 2014, 02:42 PM

I agree completely. Last year I splurged and bought a brand new Arai RX-Q. It's a great helmet, but do I think that it would protect my head any better than a less expensive helmet? Not necessarily,.. The reason you pay for a helmet like that is for the fit and finish, the comfort and light weight.

I really like the RX-Q, but would I spend the $600 on another when it needs replaced? Probably not,.. I'm just too hard on helmets. Not even two years later and it's already got quite a few chips and scratches, which makes me sad. :( Also the liner is starting to become quite worn and it costs $50 to replace. :mad:

I've actually already bought another helmet, a Scorpion exo-500, to wear so I don't have to be so hard on the Arai. The exo-500 cost me $200 and feels just as well built and as safe as my Arai.

b.miller123
October 14th, 2014, 07:48 PM
You know what they say: If you have a $20 head, get a $20 helmet.

Arai is one of the few helmet companies out there that offers a 5 year warranty. That is five years from purchase, up to 7 years from manufacture. And they actually back it up (I've had vents go missing and they were replaced free with free shipping, even as a second owner). Shoei is similar with the 5/7 warranty, but I've never had to make a warranty claim or heard anything either way with them.

The "five year rule" is just a guideline based on average use of a helmet over its lifespan. I have zero issues with wearing a helmet longer than 5 years as long as it still fits snug, hasn't been dropped, and wasn't worn every day commuting. Will I use it on the track? Probably not.

adouglas
October 20th, 2014, 11:26 AM
Hey, nice necrothread resuscitation!

Since I did post some rather strong comments back in 2010, it's worth noting that I now do, in fact, have an expensive helmet. A Schuberth S2. I like it. Is it worth what it cost?

No. In certain respects my previous helmet (the one in my avatar -- a Scorpio EXO700 I bought on closeout) is is actually better.

Reading that old post, I stand by everything I said then.

But the Schuberth certainly is a great lid.

In my own defense I got it because my wife gave me a nice gift certificate for Revzilla. So I used it to treat myself to something I'd never buy for myself.

Next helmet? It'll probably be in the $350-ish range.

NDspd
October 20th, 2014, 05:21 PM
I just bought a Shoei RF-1200 to replace my near 4 year old RF1100. The paint is really discolored and the clear coat has a sticky feeling to it. The interior liner is really worn out and the color protectant painted on the actual EPS foam is almost all peeling off. So yeah I figured it was due time to replace it.

(RF1100 on right and RF1200 on left)
https://fbcdn-sphotos-h-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-xap1/v/t1.0-9/10339679_10205024249271487_6512872919708546382_n.jpg?oh=ed46fd4e7823548d62dc5d4e ab48c1c0&oe=54E6A26E&__gda__=1420755259_8010fc28472b9289680ab507ce0501cb

dcj13
October 20th, 2014, 06:04 PM
Arai is one of the few helmet companies out there that offers a 5 year warranty. That is five years from purchase, up to 7 years from manufacture. And they actually back it up (I've had vents go missing and they were replaced free with free shipping, even as a second owner). Shoei is similar with the 5/7 warranty, but I've never had to make a warranty claim or heard anything either way with them.

I own two Arai helmets (12 and 6 years old): they are really comfortable! But damn, they’re expensive! And their visor attachment mechanism is barbaric. (Arai claims it’s safe because they don’t have any long pokey parts next to the side of the wearer’s head). I’ve joked that I wish I had a Bilt-shaped head, because they’re priced so attractively.

So yesterday I was buying a couple of sale-priced tools at CycleGear and, for the hell of it, I tried on a Bilt Evolution modular helmet: it was actually pretty comfortable. Ended up buying an optical-yellow one (hideous color, very visible) for $120. I realize that flip up modular lids are not a strong as full face ones, but it sure will be convenient when stopping at the guard gate at work. And the built-in flip-down sun shade is a lot more convenient for glasses-wearing me (who rides to work in the dark and leaves work early afternoon).

I’ll still break out one of the Arai helmets now and then for sunny day weekend riding (with the dark visor), but will use the Bilt for commuting for the time being. Will provide a long-term review in the future.

Oh yeah: Bilt now claims a 5 year helmet guarantee… I’ll save the receipt and test CycleGear if anything breaks or fails.