View Full Version : Long time, no see - any advancements I missed out on?

muffinman
April 25th, 2010, 01:20 AM
Long time, no see Ninjetters .. I truly do miss this place and being apart of the rider community. It's been a few months since I sold off my 250R and ZX636R and now that the weather's been warming up, I miss riding terribly.

I do plan on getting back onto a bike in the next year or two but am just curious as to whether there have been any major advancements in the field of motorcycle safety.

I find it amazing that in this age of advanced technology that we're still mostly relying on the same leather and EVA foam (generally speaking) to keep us safe..

I'm really hoping the much hyped Dainese airbag suite makes it into production and enters the consumer markets.. something that'll really push the envelope and force other companies to innovate

When I do get back in, it'll be with nothing less than an ABS equipped sportbike with an airbag suit with neck support / protection (The Hit-Air vests and mesh jackets with the airbag tether doesn't count ;) )

miks
April 25th, 2010, 02:12 AM
Knox has introduced a new glove called the Handroid. Its pretty much a Exoskeletal Glove that gives motorcyclists an iron fist. Hefty price though :eek:

http://image3.examiner.com/images/blog/EXID378/images/Handroid2.jpg

Snake
April 25th, 2010, 05:00 AM
Good to have ya back. Stick around and visit with us.

CZroe
April 25th, 2010, 09:37 AM
We're always here for you. It seems like I missed something. Was there a big scare or something that prompted this?

After 5 years there is a new Revue MK1 helmet with built-in rearview mirror.

Honda Goldwings now have airbag options along with ABS.

Can-Am Spyders are still generally more safe, IMO, and have traction control and ABS.

muffinman
April 25th, 2010, 09:58 AM
We're always here for you. It seems like I missed something. Was there a big scare or something that prompted this?

After 5 years there is a new Revue MK1 helmet with built-in rearview mirror.

Honda Goldwings now have airbag options along with ABS.

Can-Am Spyders are still generally more safe, IMO, and have traction control and ABS.

Thank you, I find that this is the one forum I continually check up on from time-to-time, even though I no longer have any "stake" in it

Yes.. the group my friends roll with, they had a few riders go down and I've been keeping tabs on Broom's and Becky's recoveries.. kinda brought me down a peg or two and not having a bike to ride for the past few months allowed me to put some things in perspective, you know?

I only rode for like 10 months but it truly is a passion and I respect all of you who go out there everyday and live life to the fullest.. I"m determined to get back into it one or or the other eventually

muffinman
April 25th, 2010, 09:59 AM
Snake - thanks bud, good to see you're still goin strong.

Knox has introduced a new glove called the Handroid. Its pretty much a Exoskeletal Glove that gives motorcyclists an iron fist. Hefty price though :eek:

http://image3.examiner.com/images/blog/EXID378/images/Handroid2.jpg

Yes! I saw that on SBTG - looks awesome and definitely would be my glove of choice.. now why can't we see innovation like that in jackets / track suits / etc?

adouglas
April 25th, 2010, 03:09 PM
Advancements? You mean besides plasma shields, powered suits, inertia dampers and instantaneous teleportation?

muffinman
April 30th, 2010, 09:20 AM
Advancements? You mean besides plasma shields, powered suits, inertia dampers and instantaneous teleportation?

lol of course, besides the obvious

...and right on cue:

http://www.autoblog.com/2010/04/29/airbags-on-motorcycles-alpinestars-introduces-tech-air-race-mot/

Greg_E
April 30th, 2010, 10:05 AM
You got to be F'ing kidding me, why would anyone want a damn airbag on their cycle:confused: Man that is going to be the worst thing when it is mandated for every cycle just like for every car and raise the price through the damn roof:mad: I can only hope it proves to be more harm than good to stop the insanity. Going to be like Demolition Man where you are encased in foam moments before the vehicle detects a possible crash...

muffinman
April 30th, 2010, 01:18 PM
You got to be F'ing kidding me, why would anyone want a damn airbag on their cycle:confused: Man that is going to be the worst thing when it is mandated for every cycle just like for every car and raise the price through the damn roof:mad: I can only hope it proves to be more harm than good to stop the insanity. Going to be like Demolition Man where you are encased in foam moments before the vehicle detects a possible crash...

Huh? I fail to see how something that makes riding safer is a bad thing.

... and it's a leather suit with airbags embedded in it, it's not on the motorcycle.

You know what else is expensive? A funeral.

I'm pretty sure most would consider mandated airbags on cars = a good thing, I can personally attest that it's probably saved myself and my family members from death or serious injury.

Rayme
April 30th, 2010, 02:26 PM

Don't worry....the NHTSA could care less about motorcycles, I'm sure there won't be anything like mandatory ABS or airbags for 2 wheels anytime soon...airbags if pretty stupid though, anyone who watched alot of motorcycle crash video could tell you the rider and bike are pretty quick to go their seperate way in any type of crash.

To the OP, Alpinestar recently shown a suit with built-in airbags...it looks pretty promising IMO, it looks like a good design imo.

http://www.autoblog.com/2010/04/29/airbags-on-motorcycles-alpinestars-introduces-tech-air-race-mot/#continued

muffinman
April 30th, 2010, 02:50 PM
Don't worry....the NHTSA could care less about motorcycles, I'm sure there won't be anything like mandatory ABS or airbags for 2 wheels anytime soon...airbags if pretty stupid though, anyone who watched alot of motorcycle crash video could tell you the rider and bike are pretty quick to go their seperate way in any type of crash.

To the OP, Alpinestar recently shown a suit with built-in airbags...it looks pretty promising IMO, it looks like a good design imo.

http://www.autoblog.com/2010/04/29/airbags-on-motorcycles-alpinestars-introduces-tech-air-race-mot/#continued

Rayme, the Alpinestars suit was what I was referring to (see 2 posts above) - I fail to see how the airbag SUIT would be a bad idea

jonthechron
April 30th, 2010, 05:21 PM
sup muffin

First Verse:

Oh, do you know the muffin man,
The muffin man, the muffin man,
Oh, do you know the muffin man,
Who lives in Drury Lane?

Second Verse:

Oh, yes, I know the muffin man,
Oh, yes, I know the muffin man,
Who lives in Drury Lane.

More Second Verse Responses:

Oh, two of us know the muffin man,
Oh, two of us know the muffin man,
Who lives in Drury Lane.

A few of us know the muffin man,
A few of us know the muffin man,
Who lives in Drury Lane.

Now we all know the muffin man,
Now we all know the muffin man,
Who lives in Drury Lane.

CZroe
May 1st, 2010, 01:57 AM
Huh? I fail to see how something that makes riding safer is a bad thing.

... and it's a leather suit with airbags embedded in it, it's not on the motorcycle.

You know what else is expensive? A funeral.

I'm pretty sure most would consider mandated airbags on cars = a good thing, I can personally attest that it's probably saved myself and my family members from death or serious injury.

I'm pretty sure he was talking about the Goldwing option, which is on the bike.

backinthesaddleagain
May 10th, 2010, 01:34 PM
I just checked out the website of the main mx racing association in New England and found the home page depressing. Female rider with head injury (good news is she is out of ICU), vet/sr rider with multiple brokens bones, and to top it off 32 yr old guy returning to racing after absence died of head injury practicing on saturday. Man at that point I didn't even want to check the standings to see who is racing regularly.