View Full Version : Question for experienced riders

Snake
April 29th, 2010, 11:15 AM
The weekend of May 22nd There will be two rider safety courses given. One is a basic 15hr course and the other is an advanced 5hr course. This will be the only dates I can attend this year. So my question for you riders that have rode for many years is, which course should I take?
Some background info to base your answer on. I am 43 yrs old and have been riding bikes off and on since I was 12 years old starting out on dirt bikes and then moving on to street bikes when I was 16. I never took the MSF course and was not required to when I got my endorsement as long as I passed the written and "driving" test. I passed both tests and the State of California gave me an endorsement. I have rode all types of bikes dirt bikes, cruisers, touring, choppers and sport/crotch rockets.
I consider myself a capable rider but by no means advanced or expert. I feel that you are never too old to learn new things.
I appreciate any feedback and advice you can give me. With the above in mind. Which should I take?

bob706
April 29th, 2010, 11:25 AM
Take the advanced class. If it's the same one I took you will love it.

Snake
April 29th, 2010, 11:54 AM
Thanks for the advice Sean.

KTRacing38
April 29th, 2010, 12:01 PM
I would say that based on the amount of experience you have, the advanced course is the way to go.

CC Cowboy
April 29th, 2010, 12:03 PM
I would say take a track school

Snake
April 29th, 2010, 01:11 PM

CC, that may be my next step but a track school is not one of the options in this thread.
Which of the two options would you suggest based on my curent experience?

bob706
April 29th, 2010, 02:46 PM
Rick - Just curious what is the cost and names of the classes?

sombo
April 29th, 2010, 02:49 PM
I would also check that you can even take the advanced course without the basic MSF endorsement. I think in some places you had to have the basic course card in order to take the advanced. Also the basic helped the seasoned riders in my class break several bad habits they didn't even know they had.

2WheelGuy
April 29th, 2010, 02:49 PM

+1

CC Cowboy
April 29th, 2010, 04:14 PM
I've never done either of those MSF courses. I watched my two sons take the basic course and to tell you the truth I thought it was a joke. I took my oldest son to the track and he got much more from riding there. I'm taking the younger son to the track as soon as he turns 18 this July.

So I'm not qualifies to answer the question but I am qualified to give my advice; to the track!

komohana
April 29th, 2010, 04:23 PM
given the choice between the two, with your riding history i'd suggest the advanced, and voted accordingly. true, never to old to learn something new, but being you have to choose tween the two, well there ya go...besides, bet you'll take something new out of this course as well.

good luck

Snake
April 29th, 2010, 07:51 PM
Rick - Just curious what is the cost and names of the classes?
From the brochure and website: http://www.lahighwaysafety.org/motorcycle.html

Basic Rider Course is a 15.5-hour course designed for the beginning motorcycle operator with emphasis on the special skills and mental attitude necessary for navigating safely in traffic. Classroom instruction is followed by practical exercises, which are usually divided, into two sessions on Saturday and Sunday in a controlled, off-street environment.

Motorcycles used in Basic course may not exceed 550cc.*

Cost: $25 + training m/c reservation fee $75
(Includes student workbook.)

Advanced Rider Course is a 5-hour course for the motorcyclist who wants to hone his/her mental and physical skills. The course involves cornering, braking, and evasive maneuvering techniques using student-owned motorcycles and discussion of street riding techniques. Street legal motorcycle & M/C endorsement required. *Cost: $25

Snake
April 29th, 2010, 07:58 PM
I've never done either of those MSF courses. I watched my two sons take the basic course and to tell you the truth I thought it was a joke. I took my oldest son to the track and he got much more from riding there. I'm taking the younger son to the track as soon as he turns 18 this July.

So I'm not qualifies to answer the question but I am qualified to give my advice; to the track!

CC I realy value your advice and years of experience. My next step is going to be a track school. Heck it would be great to organize a track school day for members and get a group discount. With enough notice I am sure we can get at least ten riders.

HKr1
April 30th, 2010, 05:03 AM
CC I realy value your advice and years of experience. My next step is going to be a track school. Heck it would be great to organize a track school day for members and get a group discount. With enough notice I am sure we can get at least ten riders.

Yeah, think your beyond the basic's. So Advanced course for sure :)

They doing track days at NPR again?

drowe531
April 30th, 2010, 07:51 AM
Damn courses are cheap where you are, I believe the MSF basic rider course cost me 200 but granted I also had my license at the end of it.

Snake
April 30th, 2010, 08:51 AM
Yeah, think your beyond the basic's. So Advanced course for sure :)

They doing track days at NPR again?

Sorry, where is NPR?

Sailariel
April 30th, 2010, 12:38 PM
Rick, Go with the advanced course. I`ll be taking it in a few weeks---instructor is really good and rides a Duc.

addy126
May 3rd, 2010, 03:44 PM
Rick with your experience the Basic Course will bore you to tears. You are far beyond what they do in Basics I can assure you..... enjoy because you are right "you are never to old to learn more".... its a good thing:thumbup:

Apex
May 5th, 2010, 05:27 PM
Basic Course:

This is where the key goes...
This is the clutch...
This is the starter button...
This is the clutch friction zone...
Now release the clutch where the bike just starts to inch forward, pull in a repeat...
Now, using the friction zone, walk your bike across the parking lot...
Now do it with your feet up...
Take this turn...
Stop in this box...
Shift to this gear and back again...
Turn here, shift to 2nd, downshift to 1st, turn here, shift to second, then stop here...
Now take a riding test...

That is the cliff note version. :D

Snake
May 6th, 2010, 09:37 AM
Thank you to everyone that responded. I am going to take the advanced course and then go to a track school.

deezyellownutz
May 10th, 2010, 08:53 AM
Unless you forgot how to change gears and don't know what a kill switch is, go advanced. They offer beginner, advanced and experienced courses in MA and took the experienced course and it definitely taught me a few new things.

DRivero
May 22nd, 2010, 05:58 AM
Basic Course:

This is where the key goes...
This is the clutch...
This is the starter button...
This is the clutch friction zone...
Now release the clutch where the bike just starts to inch forward, pull in a repeat...
Now, using the friction zone, walk your bike across the parking lot...
Now do it with your feet up...
Take this turn...
Stop in this box...
Shift to this gear and back again...
Turn here, shift to 2nd, downshift to 1st, turn here, shift to second, then stop here...
Now take a riding test...

That is the cliff note version. :D

That's about it and Rick, you are no doubt well past that! Make sure you post feedback about the advanced course when you're through.....I'd like to get your impression.
Posted via Mobile Device

rceezy
May 22nd, 2010, 07:25 AM
Subscribing for updates...

almost40
June 1st, 2010, 10:29 AM
TRACK DAYS......LOTS OF EM.
you will learn more taking a trackday WITH classroom instruction than you will at the advanced class.
PLUS......... it LOTS and LOTS of fun.

eddiekay
June 27th, 2010, 12:37 PM
Like anything else, MSF get's mixed reviews though mostly favorable...which is understandable because the good reviews are by people who already spent the money.
Been on bikes since you were 12 !
Unless you just ride on Sunday mornings, I can't imagine that you'll learn much you haven't already been thru. I haven't taken the course.

GeorgiaHooligan
June 27th, 2010, 06:52 PM
MSF CARD = Proof your capable of parking lot practice. what a waste of time....