View Full Version : Veho Muvi DV Camcorder

JokerSeven
April 30th, 2010, 07:28 PM
I just ordered about 30 of these for work.
I have been toy'n with it for about a week now. I am amazed at the quality of the video and audio for the price. I have made several ride videos. They came out great. For $61, its like a limp peter....you just can't beat it.

http://www.buy.com/prod/veho-muvi-micro-dv-digital-camcorder/q/listingid/82978670/loc/111/211504903.html

http://ak.buy.com/db_assets/prod_lrg_images/903/211504903.jpg

Alex
May 4th, 2010, 12:17 AM
thx for the review!

Snake
May 4th, 2010, 08:54 AM
That is a great buy. Thanks for the link.

Thrak
May 4th, 2010, 10:57 AM
I saw one of these at the races this weekend... amazing little thing!!

It comes with a spring clip so you can attach it pretty much anywhere on the bike.

bob706
May 4th, 2010, 11:09 AM
http://www.geeks.com/details.asp?invtid=P2009HD2&cat=CAM

Same thing, half price.

JokerSeven
May 4th, 2010, 06:18 PM
Nice find Sean. That price is amazing.

riiken
May 5th, 2010, 09:52 AM
Got any sample video shots? I had my eye on a Go Pro but this looks interesting...

JokerSeven
May 9th, 2010, 06:45 AM
Setting up youtube account now. I will post it soon.

JokerSeven
May 11th, 2010, 01:45 PM
OK here is my first little test video. One major problem was that I had the camera clipped on my jacket. That made for alot of wind noise.

69t0J7YC41M

adouglas
May 12th, 2010, 06:17 AM
Nice gloves. :rolleyes:

bob706
May 12th, 2010, 06:18 AM
Great video for such a small camera. Think I might pick one up

rustler753
May 12th, 2010, 09:20 AM

QFT. You want me to show you my gloves after my crash? You wouldn't have hands!

But nice vid, and great find for that price, I picked one up.

JokerSeven
May 12th, 2010, 04:03 PM

ya I knew that was coming. :(

I do wear them 99.99% of the time. I took them off to tinker with the camera and did not put them back on.

Alex
May 12th, 2010, 10:23 PM
Joker - you could at least tried to make us believe those were the new uber-pricy AlpineStars "Invisible" line of hand protection... :)

JeffM
May 13th, 2010, 06:34 PM
http://www.geeks.com/details.asp?invtid=P2009HD2&cat=CAM

Same thing, half price.

I didn't see a supplied memory card in the description at Geeks.com. Maybe that is why the price is lower. The one at Buy.com comes with a 2G card.

kevlarorc
May 14th, 2010, 03:41 PM
I didn't see a supplied memory card in the description at Geeks.com. Maybe that is why the price is lower. The one at Buy.com comes with a 2G card.

2 GB SD/microSD is like $7.

JeffM
May 14th, 2010, 03:44 PM
2 GB SD/microSD is like $7.

You are correct. So the one at Geeks is a good deal.

Thanks.

dimeified
May 18th, 2010, 08:12 AM
its not the same camera, one is a P2009HD2, the other is a VCC-003

bob706
May 18th, 2010, 09:36 AM
its not the same camera, one is a P2009HD2, the other is a VCC-003

Good catch. The buy.com one comes with the 2gb card and is 30fps and the geeks.com one is 25fps and comes with a cover and some sort of mounting straps. I ordered the geeks.com camera and when I get it I'll post up vid for comparison. But I'll be wearing gloves :p

rustler753
May 18th, 2010, 10:01 AM
Good catch. The buy.com one comes with the 2gb card and is 30fps and the geeks.com one is 25fps and comes with a cover and some sort of mounting straps. I ordered the geeks.com camera and when I get it I'll post up vid for comparison. But I'll be wearing gloves :p

Actually I bought it and the manual that comes with says 30fps on it, the box says 25 fps...strange. I'm waiting on my 8gb sd card but when it does come I'll try to show you guys what its quality is.

dimeified
May 18th, 2010, 11:46 AM
looking forward to this. contemplating weather or not i should spring for a vado... i'd personally rather buy 3 of these and mount 2 on the bike and 1 on the helmet for the same price.

dimeified
May 18th, 2010, 11:52 AM
check out the first 2 accesories at kmart. i bet the bar mount might fit the ninja. and the strap mount with the case might be useful to strap the camera in front of the windscreen in the front of the bike somewhere, or on the helmet above the windshield

http://www.kmart.com/shc/s/search_10151_10104?vName=Computers+%26+Electronics&keyword=muvi&sLevel=0

DEXSPEED
May 19th, 2010, 09:23 AM
just ordered one from geeks.com hope it works well.

adouglas
May 19th, 2010, 10:06 AM
Mine just arrived (geeks.com) and it's amazingly small. I mean, literally the size of my thumb, and I've got small hands.

I've just walked around the office with it and both low-light performance and sharpness appear to be very good.

The documentation is not great.

It has a date/time stamp on the frame and there's no indication of any way to disable it.

There may be more info on the driver CD that came with it, but that's useless to me because I've got a slot-loading drive that won't accept it. I'm on a Mac anyway.

I got this to record performances of my band. If it works out I'm going to order a load of 'em.

dimeified
May 19th, 2010, 10:11 AM
Andrew, can you post a demo video? Anything will do, even the office video.

dimeified
May 19th, 2010, 10:12 AM
also i wonder if we can just lift up the gas cap flap, and clip this small light weight camera to it? it has a belt clip type thing, right?

adouglas
May 19th, 2010, 12:05 PM
Yep, it comes with a snap-on clip.

I also did some digging and found out how to a) reset the date/time stamp or b) shut it off.

Create a plain-text (.txt) file with one line in it containing the date and time in this format, including the spaces:

yyyy.mm.dd hh:mm:ss

Save it with the name "time.txt" and copy it to the camera's SD card. If you're on a Mac and using Word, save it as an MS-DOS txt file (not sure if this matters, but the card comes formatted in MS-DOS FAT32).

That resets the clock.

If you want to shut the display off, do the same thing but add a space and the letter N at the end of the line in the text file:

yyyy.mm.dd hh:mm:ss N

When you power down the camera and turn it back on, it will reset.

My office is boring. I'll take some video at some point and will upload it.

As in the example above, the microphone probably isn't capable of dealing with high noise levels.

dimeified
May 19th, 2010, 12:26 PM
Found this great link, i think its the same camera just rebranded, $18 shipped.

http://cgi.ebay.com/Lightest-Cordless-Helmet-Camera-Video-Recorder-720x480P-/280495820204?cmd=ViewItem&pt=Camcorders_Professional_Video_Cameras&hash=item414eda8dac#ht_2771wt_1137

heres a youtube video of a sample of the MD80.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-vsxFcVpgmI&feature=related

and a nighttime test

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=auQRjBaZmeI&feature=related (notice the guy says he doesnt know how to set the clock which makes me think it is the same camera)

Youtube "MD80" and you can see others done in 480p with that camera.

Also, looking on ebay, under Digital Camcorders, Helmet category yields interesting results...
http://photography.shop.ebay.com/Camcorders-/11724/i.html?Type=Helmet&_dmpt=Camcorders_Professional_Video_Cameras&_fln=1&_npmv=3&_ssov=1&_trksid=p3286.c0.m282

adouglas
May 20th, 2010, 08:02 AM
I clipped it to my helmet this morning and recorded my commute. Can't post it until I get home because I don't have access to any editing software here to shorten the clip.

I put a piece of tape over the microphone and it provided good sound up until about 30 mph (actually gives a nice sense of what an AreaP QuietCore sounds like), but then the wind overwhelms it.

The route I took is dappled shade... in and out of the sun a lot. Unsurprisingly, it doesn't deal with the contrast all that well. When you're in full sun you're okay, and full shade you're okay, but when in shade and looking at a sunlit area it's totally washed out.

Look for a sample tonight sometime.

So far the verdict is "okay for the money." Not really great, but whaddya want fer nothin'... rubber biscuit?

I actually bought this to record my band... the idea is to plant several of these things all over the stage to provide a bunch of angles. We already record using pretty good microphones, so the audio quality isn't a factor. I'm going to give this one a try at the next gig and if it produces decent results in a stage environment I'll invest in a pile of 'em.

adouglas
May 20th, 2010, 06:50 PM
Here's my little test.

The first half gives a reasonable idea of what an AreaP QuietCore sounds like. The bike has also had its snorkel removed.

Notice how it doesn't deal with transitions from shade to bright sunlight all that well. Go to about 4:18 to see its performance in full sunlight.

For the first 1:45 or so, the camera was clipped to the outside of my visor.

The second half is more interesting. I strapped the camera to the rear brake pedal. Cool angle...

This may not last long because I put some music in that second half. Youtube will probably find it and blow it away.

35jb07MQPnk

bob706
May 20th, 2010, 06:57 PM
Andrew, great video and I especially like the second part. Very nice :thumbup:

rockNroll
May 21st, 2010, 05:37 AM
Cool video! Puttin' it on the rear brake lever was a good idea and the tune kept me watchin until it was completely finished :thumbup:

dimeified
May 21st, 2010, 06:26 AM
andrew, any chance you could flip up your gas cap flap and clip the camera there? it seems like it would be the perfect way to mount this thing. if not it's no big deal. thanks for the vid, it looks excellent! i see what you mean about the lighting.

adouglas
May 21st, 2010, 06:59 AM
i thought about that but I don't think it'd work well. All it would get is a view of the triple tree, the gauges and the inside of my ZG windscreen, which is so dark it's effectively opaque (you can see it early in the video). Pointing the other way, it would be an extreme closeup of my jacket zipper.

To get a decent angle, you need to get the camera up where it can see something, which is why commercial mounts elevate the camera. To get an idea of the point of view clipping it to the cap would provide, go out to your bike and put your eyeball where the camera lens would be... about two inches above the gas cap. Nothing to see there.

Also, the clip wouldn't grab onto the gas tank tab very well. It'd pop right off... there's no lip or anything for it to latch onto. This is not a big deal, since you can tape it in place... but I suspect you're looking for a zero-hassle, clip-it-and-go solution.

A good alternate location is strapped to one of the turn signal stalks between the light and the fairing, which I might try if I get around to it. The camera came with a silicone sleeve with slots in it, and a Velcro strap. That's what I used to strap it to my brake pedal.

I'm really not that into on-board ride videos, to be honest. If I were doing a track day or something it'd be different, but most such video is boring to me. It's cool for about five minutes, and then it's just endless repetition.

I'd rather just ride and remember the good bits. Just one day's worth of dull commuting produced four gigabytes of dull video, which took a VERY long time to dump off the camera... just not worth the effort on a routine basis.

The only reason the second half of my video is cool at all is because the camera was a few inches from the ground, giving a powerful sensation of speed. I was actually going about 35 mph or less most of the time... but with that dramatic angle, even crawling along behind a Honda Civic looks exciting.

rustler753
May 21st, 2010, 09:51 AM
Here's my little test.

The first half gives a reasonable idea of what an AreaP QuietCore sounds like. The bike has also had its snorkel removed.

Notice how it doesn't deal with transitions from shade to bright sunlight all that well. Go to about 4:18 to see its performance in full sunlight.

For the first 1:45 or so, the camera was clipped to the outside of my visor.

The second half is more interesting. I strapped the camera to the rear brake pedal. Cool angle...

This may not last long because I put some music in that second half. Youtube will probably find it and blow it away.

Did you have to rotate the clip during video editing? Or does it figure out which way is up and rotate the video?

adouglas
May 21st, 2010, 10:21 AM
Did you have to rotate the clip during video editing? Or does it figure out which way is up and rotate the video?

Yeah, I had to do it in software.

adouglas
May 21st, 2010, 10:37 AM
Here's a walkaround and, just for you, dimeified, the POV with the camera clipped to the gas cap at the very end.

You might actually get something from that angle, to my surprise... but not through that dark smoke windscreen. Even though you can see something through it in the video, look how washed out the background is. In real life you can't see through it at all.

Sorry for the poor framing... not used to aiming the camera correctly yet.

Edit... youtube fixed

cPCEM-HmOts

JokerSeven
May 21st, 2010, 08:23 PM
I have been busy moving and have not had time to make another video. Good writeup Andrew.

DEXSPEED
May 22nd, 2010, 06:20 AM
:D i will try this mounting option today.just need to wrap some electrical tape around the clip to secure it looks clean though;)

JokerSeven
May 22nd, 2010, 07:03 AM
Does the camera from geeks.com have a metal or plastic case ?

DEXSPEED
May 22nd, 2010, 08:18 AM
the body of the unit itself is metal i think, aluminum.cool little gadget.

rustler753
May 22nd, 2010, 10:54 AM
mines stuck in standby mode.... any help? no matter what I do, I cant get it to record anymore.

adouglas
May 22nd, 2010, 01:46 PM
Metal.

I've seen some indication that there are multiple versions of this same camera, some with ABS cases and some with metal. I think the ultra-cheap Ebay one is plastic.

DEXSPEED
May 22nd, 2010, 05:43 PM
i cant seem to get any audio is there a set-up for that?

dimeified
May 22nd, 2010, 06:33 PM
andrew, thanks very much for taking the time to test the view with the camera clipped to the gas cap flap. you were right, it really isn't the greatest pov. oh well, i guess it was worth a shot.

rustler753
May 22nd, 2010, 09:08 PM
Well now the damn thing is dead, guess its time to RMA.

rustler753
June 8th, 2010, 09:03 PM
I don't recommend ANY version of this recorder. I just got my 2nd recorder and it was a POS dead on arrival. I'm sick of these things, I'm giving up on a cheap alternative to a gopro.