View Full Version : Bit the pavement

athimmel
May 11th, 2010, 12:06 PM
Well, it sure didn't take long. After a little more than a year, I had an accident on my bike. How bad? Well, I decided to tangle with a car (my fault), and ended up in Trauma ICU. Dislocated and broken left ankle, broken left rib, 2 breaks in shoulder, broken right radial (?) behind the elbow, and a mild concussion. It could have been much worse. I was wearing armor and an Arai helmet.

After four days in the hospital, I came home and am recovering well. I may be back to work after less than a month away, and that's after the doctors initial estimate of 3 months, so that's good.

Nonetheless, my motorcycle days are now over, as my wife doesn't want me anywhere near one. Since I don't want her to worry every time I'm out, I am going to abide by her wishes.

I hope you all ride safely and never have any tangles with cages. Trust me, they always win. Best to all of you, and be good.

CRXTrek
May 11th, 2010, 12:08 PM
:(

Banzai
May 11th, 2010, 12:09 PM
Wow, sorry you went down. Best wishes on a speedy recovery. Any more details on the accident?

Flashmonkey
May 11th, 2010, 12:11 PM
Best wishes and a speedy recovery, Adam!

Ash
May 11th, 2010, 12:15 PM
Get well soon!

ninja250
May 11th, 2010, 12:29 PM
Get well soon. :(

Any more details on the accident?
Better to just leave it at that before you get picked apart.

Snake
May 11th, 2010, 01:47 PM
Sorry to hear about the accident. Get well soon.

CC Cowboy
May 11th, 2010, 02:40 PM
Crashin sux!

Momaru
May 11th, 2010, 02:48 PM
Yeowch mate! Glad to hear you're on the recovery track, whatever the cause.

BlueTyke
May 11th, 2010, 02:51 PM
Get well soon!

Alex
May 11th, 2010, 03:22 PM
Youch! Glad you're on your way to recovery. Of all those injuries, the one that sticks out as the one that will haunt you for years is the ankle injury. Take PT very seriously, make it one of the top priorities over the next few months, and it will pay dividends later. I've made a commitment for all of my future injuries to be on non-weight-bearing limbs. (fingers crossed). :)

izmail1215
May 11th, 2010, 03:55 PM
oh man sorry

rceezy
May 11th, 2010, 04:30 PM
Sorry to hear! Get well soon, keep us posted on your recovery.

jcgirl
May 11th, 2010, 04:42 PM
Totally sucks!!!! Wish you a speedy recovery!!

miks
May 11th, 2010, 04:56 PM
Get well soon mate, all hoping for a speedy recovery.

noche_caliente
May 11th, 2010, 05:33 PM
so sorry to hear Adam. Heal up soon and give your wife some extra TLC!

Bsmith
May 11th, 2010, 05:38 PM
Get well man,
My wife was scared for me as well. I'll be able to start riding again next month. SO almost 10 months off the bike. I'm still in PT for my shoulder. As Alex said. Do the PT no matter how much it hurts. It will be st in the long run.

BlueRaven
May 11th, 2010, 06:46 PM
Glad to hear your still with us even if your a little mangled. Hope that gave good drugs to control the pain. Keep it easy and heal well.

Verus Cidere
May 11th, 2010, 08:17 PM
Glad to hear you're alive! Sad to hear you can't ride anymore. Better not riding and alive than dead right? Heal up quick!

tabogon
May 12th, 2010, 06:11 AM
+1 on the PT, had an injury a few years back, miss-aligned my lower back. Chiropractor fixed that, but I din't take PT too seriously and I now get pretty bad back pains now and then from it.

Good luck with your recovery. It sucks sometimes, but it's better to be alive and in pain than dead and in the ground

skiba
May 12th, 2010, 06:38 AM
ouch man :/
the road to recovery is quite long for that amount of injuries.
but take it one step at a time, and don't push yourself too much, or you'll find yourself back at square one and in more pain!

JeffM
May 12th, 2010, 11:37 AM
Get well!

coolbreeze
May 12th, 2010, 05:25 PM
Agreed, PT is painful, but very much worth it. Heal up quick. All the best to you and your family.

izmail1215
May 12th, 2010, 06:33 PM
get better and ride soon!

adri99an
May 13th, 2010, 06:41 PM
Love to hear the details......

I crashed over a month and a half ago.....ended up in the emergency but now realize how lucky I am....still have a wrist problem and scars to prove it....

Heal up buddy..........

athimmel
May 13th, 2010, 06:59 PM
Details are still too sketchy. I don't remember anything about the crash until I regained some of my senses in the Trauma ER about 2 hours later. (Not sure I want to know!)

Anyway, I realize how fortunate I am that it wasn't worse, that I have great friends who are helping out, and a wonderful wife who is taking great care of me.

As for PT...I'll do it all, even if it stinks on ice. I need the use of my arms and leg, so I have to do it!

Thanks everyone for the kind words. Take care.

GeorgiaHooligan
May 13th, 2010, 07:33 PM
Ill keep you in my prayers, best of luck to you.....

komohana
May 14th, 2010, 12:51 AM
crash'in DOES suck
take care and get well

Bostonninjabastard
May 17th, 2010, 01:27 AM
Hey man sorry to hear that six bout not riding but sometimes we gotta listen to our wives heal up n best wishes from Boston
Posted via Mobile Device

Alex
June 7th, 2011, 11:49 PM
Adam - any updates? How did the healing go this past year?

athimmel
June 8th, 2011, 06:28 AM
Thanks for asking...

Still recovering. My ankle was "rebroken" during therapy, and I still have some shoulder problems, but other than that...okay.

I'm done with bikes, though. Just couldn't put my wife through the worry anymore.

TXJ
June 8th, 2011, 06:33 AM
I'm done with bikes, though. Just couldn't put my wife through the worry anymore.

Get a CanAm Spyder! They only cost as much as a new car, and eat $180 tires like it's their job. :eek:

austexjg
June 8th, 2011, 08:37 AM
Hope you healing quickly and recover completely...

2fiddy
June 8th, 2011, 08:49 AM
Hope everything is good man. Sucks when a fellow rider is taken down.

Xoulrath
June 8th, 2011, 09:57 AM
Wow, sorry to hear that the recovery is taking so long.

As far as bikes, if you still want to ride, why not look into track riding? Much safer than the street despite the potential for higher speeds.

Hope you can start to get better soon and good luck with the therapy. I severed my right biceps tendon almost three years ago, and for just that, I was out of work for four months. It took me another year to get myself back into shape. My arm still isn't 100%, and it never will be according to the doctor.

Azhyen
June 8th, 2011, 10:21 AM
Glad you're still with us. Hope your recovery is speedy.