View Full Version : What If you ride into a Crack!

ScorpionNinja
May 11th, 2010, 05:53 PM
What if you ride into a Crack in the road?
Or say its a road grade change, when MDOT is fixing a road (Like M59) and theres an Angle of fresh blacktop going over the Old Concrete road?

Ive been very scared during these moments with our "Great" Michigan roads!

So if you cant avoid it, whats the best thing to do?

TheSquee
May 11th, 2010, 06:40 PM
If I recall my MSF class correctly, if you're about to hit something:

try to square up to it (hit it at a 90 degree angle)
put your weight on your feet
slow down while approaching
immediately before hitting the object, apply the throttle to shift the weight of the bike onto the rear wheel

Or do you mean cracks running along the length of the road?

*edit*

I just re-read your post, in the construction areas where you have cracks and grade changes, the way I would approach them is to swerve across them quickly, once again trying to cross them at as close to 90 degrees as possible.

Flashmonkey
May 11th, 2010, 07:33 PM
I just re-read your post, in the construction areas where you have cracks and grade changes, the way I would approach them is to swerve across them quickly, once again trying to cross them at as close to 90 degrees as possible.

+1...I'd treat it like a street car track and ride on either side of it. Oh I'd slow the hell down too :D

sombo
May 11th, 2010, 08:20 PM
I've had to deal with that here too where they used concrete in some places and asphalt in others. With those blasted annoying cracks that go diagonally across the lane I keep to the opposite side of the lane till it's at the half way point then shift to the other side of the lane so I hit the crack at the closest to 90 I can.

For things like the uneven lanes where have the lane is paved and is like 2-3 inches higher then the other half..... Well for those I try to pick one side and stay there. If I need to move to the higher ground I usually use overpass bridges where it's still even to make the switch. If that's not possible, I slow down as much as safety allows (highways don't allow much slowing down w/o getting run over) and cross it quickly as close to 90 as possible (usually no better then 45 unfortunately) while throttling up to lighten the front. As long as your front makes the transition smoothly you should be fine.

Nickds7
May 12th, 2010, 12:39 AM
I have gone over a lot of freeway space with grooves going in the direction as myself. It swerves the bike and makes the bike feel shaky, but hasn't been anything too serious...usually they are careful about that when repaving.

CZroe
May 12th, 2010, 05:00 AM
If I recall my MSF class correctly, if you're about to hit something:

try to square up to it (hit it at a 90 degree angle)
put your weight on your feet
slow down while approaching
immediately before hitting the object, apply the throttle to shift the weight of the bike onto the rear wheel

Or do you mean cracks running along the length of the road?

*edit*

A week after I bought the bike I was at work for 12 hours in Peachtree City, GA. when it came time to go home I found that road crews had set up to do overnight repaving. This has happened in the past where I have pulled out and ended up face-to-face with a single-lane caravan following a leader car. This time was different. When I came to work I saw that there was a HUGE drop when I came to work from the fresh pavement onto the old pavement from where they stopped work the previous day. Though they had continued paving, they had not done the far-right lane.

Rather than drive up and over that 4-6" drop, I decided to turn right and make a couple right turns to go back the way I had come, taking that unpaved lane up to the next cross-street. This would have affected any motorcycle traveling in that direction, but here's what happened: It was dark and the lanes were not yet repainted so I could not tell that the wall of pavement on the left lane was slowly encompassing the right lane until it was hitting my tires and bouncing me around, almost throwing me off the bike. It was impossible to square up because the angle was too gradual and there was not room in the lane to move right and make an emergency left-swerve. I cursed as I was forced off the road and had to push it uphill to the turn. The pavement difference was actually steep enough that I was worried that I would scrape my fairing if I tried to get on top of it.

Cab305
May 13th, 2010, 07:47 PM
In Miami Beach I'm surrounded by steel grate draw bridges. I pucker up every time I go over them, plus haven't done them wet yet. Just the thought makes me tremble.
Usually I just loosen up on bars and let the bike pick its own groove across.

GeorgiaHooligan
May 21st, 2010, 06:54 PM
I hit a road that had been freshly paved at night once. I didnt notice the difference in lanes until i changed lanes. My back tire jerked but i remained calm and the bike handled fine. Always remain loose and calm no matter what..

CZroe
May 22nd, 2010, 01:30 PM

This is what can happen.

zenrush
May 23rd, 2010, 09:44 AM
Holy crap! What did you hit exactly?

CZroe
May 23rd, 2010, 10:54 AM
The city didn't finish paving over a deep groove that they cut into the street (pipe work I believe).

http://www.ninjette.org/forums/showthread.php?t=38184&highlight=dented

They came back in the morning to finish. It went between cars' tires but, of course, not mine.