View Full Version : One Piece Suit Fit?

gogoKawi
May 11th, 2010, 08:53 PM
I just got a slightly used AlpineStars one piece leather suit off of Craigslist. It was a excellent deal, and I couldn't pass it up! When I came home, I tried it on. And to my dismay, it was a bit on the tight side. It wasn't so tight that I couldn't get it on or couldn't move regularly when zipped up. But, it was tight enough where it took some finagling to get it on the first time and walking around looks awkward. I measured myself beforehand, and it is the recommended size for me, which is a 38. The 40 seemed a bit long in the legs and arms.

Needless to say, I don't know if I should just sell it or keep it. I'm used to baggy clothes. So, apparel that fits so snug makes me feel uncomfortable, as well a insecure with how it looks (sad but true). On the other hand, I want some good protection just in case of an accident. Also, I plan on hitting the track next month.

I've talked to numerous people about how a leather suit should fit. Some say it should fit tight with very little give, while others say it should have some room for growth. What's your experience with suits? How does yours fit?

2WheelGuy
May 11th, 2010, 09:14 PM
Off the rack suits never fit perfectly and sizing charts are just ballpark figures. A suit should be snug but not restricting.

You should always try on a suit with YOUR back protector. It can change the fitting buy quite a bit. Also, try on suits while sitting on a motorcycle as suits are built to fit in that position. Alpinestars tend to have a European fit like Dainese which is for slender builds and often doesn't fit the stocky American build. I can barely zip my Alpinestars suit up over my chest and by American standards I am a slim guy with almost no chest.

An overly loose suit can flap while your riding and be quite distracting. A loose suit can also move in a crash reducing the effectiveness of armor/padding and causing rash.

An overly tight suit can restrict movement, make it difficult to breath and in the case of a suit that is too short cause male camel toe...ick...ouch.

Few people fit off the rack suits perfectly. For me the best fitting suits are Arlen Ness as they are sized for American builds. Ultimately the decision is up to you. If you want a perfect fit you need a custom suit and they are expensive.

Dano
May 12th, 2010, 07:27 PM
I agree with the above post. it should fit snug but not tight. Thats the #1 reason I don't own a 1 piece suit I would need to get a custom suit for my body...short and stocky...and they are way too expensive.

rceezy
May 12th, 2010, 07:36 PM
What does it feel like you're in the "riding position"?

Am I allowed to suggest a site that sells custom made suits for a great price? I would hate to "advertise it" here if I"m not allowed but he is a friend of mine and my suit (from him) will be coming in next week. If you do want to know the site just PM me. He does great work.

gogoKawi
May 12th, 2010, 09:00 PM
I don't think my body type was made for the off-the-shelf one piece. On paper, the measurements look good. In practice, no happenings. I tried on a couple of 40s and 42s from Joe Rocket and Alpinestars. Either too small in the chest or saggy in the rear. I am thinking 2-piece going forward. Custom would be the way to go for the longterm.

If you know of any good brands or sites, please post them. I don't want to rule anything out. A guy at one of the bike meetups was telling me about his suit he bought from eBay, an unknown brand not found in many online or brick-and-mortar stores. He loves it and wears it to the track regularly. I don't know how comfortable I am with that, not knowing the suit's track record. Does anyone have any hands-on with the no-name (non-custom) brands out there?

Banzai
May 13th, 2010, 04:23 AM
Another thing to think about is what you're wearing underneath. I mostly see guys wearing underarmor or other such types of clothing underneath, which helps getting into/out of the things!

I bought a custom suit fit to my measurements. I'm 6 foot tall and 155lbs soaking wet, so almost nothing off the shelf fit, and I tried lots of brands! Thank goodness for New Enough and Cycle Gears return policy!

rceezy
May 13th, 2010, 06:11 AM
I bought my suit from SpartanLeathers.com. You should check out his stuff, very high quality for a great price. My one piece (custom!) suit was ~$625. Whenever I get it (it should be in the next week or so), I'll definitely post up pics and a review.