View Full Version : Experience question

jnobles
May 12th, 2010, 03:51 PM
At what point (and i know that its not the same for everyone) did you feel like you could commute after taking the BRC if you have never rode a bike before?

Terrorizer
May 12th, 2010, 04:11 PM
Pretty quickly I thnk depending on the route you take. Myself, when starting out, I wore out my iphone looking for the easiest route that would keep me out of trouble or large roads until I worked my way up to it. Didn't take long, a few months. Now I can take any route ( minus the highway) with little trouble ( new pirellis helped alot too!).you kind of have to throw yourself out there a little bit in order to gain confidence and get a routine going and just learn, theres not substitute for experience. Stay on the smaller roads, and work your way up to the faster speed limit roads, take it in small bites and try out your new routes on the weekends when the traffic is quieter and before you know it, youll be cruising right along.. Good luck,wear your gear and be smart!

JeffM
May 12th, 2010, 04:46 PM
I tooled around my neighborhood over and over till I got sick of doing that. About 3 weeks I guess. Then I picked a real quiet, early, Sunday morning and went out on a larger street that I knew didn't have any big scary intersections.

Like Joe said, take your time and only stretch your comfort level when you feel ready.

Funny thing about it is that I had never taken the bike to a gas station and ran into reserve about 2 miles from home and forgot to switch over until after I killed the bike.

Oh yea, and ATGATT.

jnobles
May 12th, 2010, 05:14 PM
i live out in the country and my commute would be all highway and interstate to school and work, so i would have plenty of roads to practice on before i hope out on the the highway and interstate. thanks for the answers

adouglas
May 12th, 2010, 05:40 PM
The thing that the MSF course does not and can not teach you is the reality of riding in a congested area. Sure they cover it in class, but you get no on-road experience.

We hear a lot about "multitasking" but the truth is that humans cannot multitask. We can switch tasks quickly, but we cannot concentrate on more than one thing at a time. So if you're thinking about exactly how to steer, brake, etc., you're NOT thinking about avoiding traffic.

When you're just starting out you're devoting more of your limited attention to operating the bike than you will be after you gain confidence and experience. So get that experience in a safer environment, which means away from all those people who are trying to kill you.

Pick roads that have few intersections to begin with, and avoid peak travel times.

Once the act of operating the motorcycle becomes more familiar and comfortable, you can tackle heavy traffic in a safer way.

Also, don't worry too much about highways. You're statistically far more likely to have an accident on streets with traffic lights and intersections than on a limited-access road.

Here's a highway tip based on my own experience during last summer's 2600-mile road trip: The most turbulence you're going to get from a truck does not happen right behind it. It happens one lane over, off the rear quarter, maybe 30 or 40 fet back... right where you'd think it's safest to be if traveling in an adjacent lane.

Don't be intimidated by passing that rig. Accelerate and get ahead of him. The 250 has plenty of power to do this, I found. Even loaded with me (180 pounds nekkid at the time) and full luggage it would pass with more alacrity than my car.

jnobles
May 12th, 2010, 05:49 PM
The thing that the MSF course does not and can not teach you is the reality of riding in a congested area. Sure they cover it in class, but you get no on-road experience.

We hear a lot about "multitasking" but the truth is that humans cannot multitask. We can switch tasks quickly, but we cannot concentrate on more than one thing at a time. So if you're thinking about exactly how to steer, brake, etc., you're NOT thinking about avoiding traffic.

When you're just starting out you're devoting more of your limited attention to operating the bike than you will be after you gain confidence and experience. So get that experience in a safer environment, which means away from all those people who are trying to kill you.

Pick roads that have few intersections to begin with, and avoid peak travel times.

Once the act of operating the motorcycle becomes more familiar and comfortable, you can tackle heavy traffic in a safer way.

Also, don't worry too much about highways. You're statistically far more likely to have an accident on streets with traffic lights and intersections than on a limited-access road.

Here's a highway tip based on my own experience during last summer's 2600-mile road trip: The most turbulence you're going to get from a truck does not happen right behind it. It happens one lane over, off the rear quarter, maybe 30 or 40 fet back... right where you'd think it's safest to be if traveling in an adjacent lane.

Don't be intimidated by passing that rig. Accelerate and get ahead of him. The 250 has plenty of power to do this, I found. Even loaded with me (180 pounds nekkid at the time) and full luggage it would pass with more alacrity than my car.

excellent advice. thank u

Flashmonkey
May 12th, 2010, 08:09 PM
Let's see....I took my course in the first week of April last year. I started commuting to work (in the downtown core of Toronto...arguably the city with the WORST drive-in commute) around July.

There's a lot of nuances to riding that you really need to have confidence in before you commute in heavy, HEAVY traffic. Good clutch and throttle control, balance on the bike (crawling around slowly without putting your foot down), good feel of the brakes (both front and rear), patience, and overall awareness. The first time I took my bike downtown to work with me it was both terrifying and exhilarating.

Take the time and really get comfy out on the streets before you commute. Make sure you have adequate gear as well (read: compact/convenient rain suit, etc).

Riding a bike into work becomes more about getting into work while getting some riding time in....not just about getting out to ride and enjoying it. That extra bit of pressure may change the whole dynamic of riding for you. Don't force it.

LazinCajun
May 12th, 2010, 08:13 PM
I highly recommend reading Proficient Motorcycling by David Hough. It gives some very good insights into managing risk on the road.

rceezy
May 12th, 2010, 08:19 PM
I was a passenger for two years so I had a slight advantage over some newer riders who had never been on a bike before (whether with someone/alone). I took my MSF in 2008 and did not purchase my own bike until March 09 so it had been almost a year since I took the MSF.

My boyfriend rode my bike to an empty school parking lot (while I followed in my car) so that I could practice what I learned in the MSF: mainly the friction zone. I did this for the majority of the day... downshifting, upshifting.. etc.,

It took a good 2 or 3 months before I got the hang of the friction zone completely. I was the biker at the stop sign who killed the bike 10 times before getting it right. You know, the one who has 8 cars behind her ready to kill her!

Anyway, it started out with short trips (30 miles at first, 50 the next, 70.. and so on) before I became more comfortable. Since I have two (gorgeous!) little babies it is very hard for me to find the time to ride... so every time I would be able to it would have been at least 3 weeks since the previous ride.

I had to relearn it all every time, but... the more seat time I gained, the better my skill set became.

I know you've heard this before but take your time, take it easy and it'll become second nature in no time.

(end ramble... )

want1sobad
May 12th, 2010, 08:57 PM
never ridden before, got bike in feb 2010. took a few weeks tooling around neighborhood to get comfy with controls, starting commuting with bike daily around beginning of april. as long as you're confident with the basic operations of the bike so that you can focus on what's going on around you i say go for it. like someone said, you have to put yourself out in the thick of things to learn and gain confidence. example, i have a buddy who HAS ridden before and purchased his bike over six months ago. he does not commute with it and when i asked why he said he's not comfortable on the highway. asked how often he rides - said couple times a month. go figure.......

jnobles
May 12th, 2010, 09:47 PM
Ok...this is all making me feel much better. I will be riding everyday that i can so i can get the confidence that i need. I already have helmet, jacket and gloves and plenty of backroads to practice on.

Snake
May 12th, 2010, 10:26 PM
You have to decide for yourself when have enough confidence to ride in rush hour traffic with cagers and big rigs all around you. Just do not let the traffic force you to go any faster than you are comfortable going.

Xoulrath
May 13th, 2010, 03:25 PM
You have to get out and ride like others have said to really get the experience. I got my 250, had a friend load it on his truck and bring it to his house from the dealer and kept it at his house for a few days. Once I got insurance taken care of, I rode in his neighborhood for about 10 minutes familiarizing myself with the bike and then we went riding. We rode on back roads with 45 MPH limits and two-lane highways with a 55 MPH limit. But that was me (and I at least had some previous, though limited, dirt bike experience). It's all about YOUR confidence. Like I've seen over and over as I have researched motorcycles over the years, ' "Ride Your Ride." '

Accelerate and get ahead of him. The 250 has plenty of power to do this, I found. Even loaded with me (180 pounds nekkid at the time) and full luggage it would pass with more alacrity than my car.My 250 is slower than my car. :(

It's also slower than my previous car. :(

I do weigh 270 though.

rockNroll
May 13th, 2010, 05:22 PM
If possible, ride your commute route on a weekend, when there's no "rush hour" traffic. Get used to the environment... which will now be different than when you were driving your car on the same route. An experienced riding buddy to tag along with can be a great help. Think about the advice that some people give you... really think about it because sometimes it's not the right advice :thumbup:

tabogon
May 13th, 2010, 05:31 PM
I will not be commuting to work with my ninjette until the end of the month (MSF is required for military and mine isn't until the 26th) but I rode for about 10-15 miles a day in my neighborhood until I was comfortable with the controls, then I started getting out early mornings and riding with the little bit of traffic there was. After about 3 weeks, I feel comfortable riding with afternoon traffic and the little 1/2 mile of highway I get on in my commuting route.

Like it was already mentioned, take your time and go as fast as you feel comfortable with. Let them go around if you are going too slow for their pace. And relax, always relax, because once you stress out and tense up your muscles won't want to do what you want them too.

Short example: I was getting use to riding on the bigger roads and I was so tensed up that my hands were hurting after about 2 miles because I was choking the crap out of my grips so I wouldn't "lose control" haha. Once I noticed what I was doing I focused a little more on relaxing and since then no more pain.

jnobles
May 13th, 2010, 05:38 PM
reading all this really helps me out.

Hadyn
May 13th, 2010, 05:41 PM
I've had my bike just about 3 weeks and I've been commuting since the first. Yeah, it might seem a little early, but like others have said it's all about your comfort level. I know the Northern Virginia drivers like the back of my hand; I know what they're going to do, when they're going to do it, and how to avoid getting run over by the asshat in his BMW eating his Mc-whatever and talking on his phone. I'm perfectly comfortable in traffic and at highway speeds, so I commute.

Just do not let the traffic force you to go any faster than you are comfortable going.
+1 to that. People see the yellow sport bike and think 'oh man, that guy is going to go fast, let's all pile behind him at the stoplight!' and then they ride my ass once I level off at the speed limit. They can tailgate all they want, but it's not going to make me go faster than I want to.

rockNroll
May 13th, 2010, 06:15 PM
If you aren't gonna at least go along with the flow of traffic, don't be in the traffic. .02

Hadyn
May 13th, 2010, 06:56 PM
If you aren't gonna at least go along with the flow of traffic, don't be in the traffic. .02
Didn't say I wouldn't go faster than the speed limit, I just level off at the speed limit because I'm usually the first vehicle to get there.

paterick4o8
May 14th, 2010, 03:47 PM
the first day I picked her up I went on the freeway/highway -- I just went with it and just got used to it from there. Before I had a bike and commuting in the cage, I would spend time in traffic just observing how other riders split the lanes. took what I thought might help and left the rest. been commuting ever since.

jnobles
May 14th, 2010, 04:00 PM
i am sure i will learn this in the BRC next weekend but what does it mean to "split the lanes"

paterick4o8
May 14th, 2010, 04:02 PM
not sure if it's legal in your state but in CA we can do it -- riding a bicycle or motorcycle between lanes in the same direction as traffic

http://burgmanriders.com/wp-content/uploads/lanesplitting.jpg

Kawikaze
May 14th, 2010, 04:30 PM
Might as well add my :2cents:

MSF was the first time I ever sat on a bike. As for commuting, it took a couple of weeks to get used to my particular bike first. After that, I just basically merged onto freeways for a couple of stops, then exited and took stock of how comfortable it was or wasn't. I tried taking a different route to work avoiding freeways, but after I discovered that my comfort level was further along than that (I just got frustrated with how long it took for lights to change) I just took the freeway the next day, and never looked back.

Soujyu
May 14th, 2010, 09:35 PM
I basically took the MSF course before getting my bike. Afterwards, I rode around the neighborhood and everywhere I could get away with driving only 35mph for about 200 miles. (Hey, looking for garage sales in your neighborhood can really eat up some miles!)

That meant I could do my commute to work, but I would need to stay on the service roads. I did my first commute to work because a bunch of my colleagues wanted to see the bike. :eek:

ninjabrewer
May 17th, 2010, 09:22 PM
i am sure i will learn this in the BRC next weekend but what does it mean to "split the lanes"

I'm almost positive that it is only allowed in Ca.

Not much that I can add to the original posters question. Take your time to get used to the bike before riding in traffic. You don't want to be wondering about something about the bike when you are in traffic. Ride the route a few times during times without traffic.

good luck and relax. I was a nervous wreck the first time or two, but after I had been riding it, it became second nature.

nb

demp
May 18th, 2010, 06:01 AM
Heh, I too found myself trying to find the easiest way to get places.... But I rode my bike to the bike course xD Pretty nervous at first, I outright refused to go on the highway for a long time, kept taking the "scenic routes" to get around. Just keep riding around in your neighborhood on "safe" roads until you're comfortable on the bike :)

Vee33k
May 19th, 2010, 09:20 AM
I am in a weird situation, I have been riding for a cpl of weeks after my BSC class and have been training around the hood, but I am in such a small town that I live about 15 miles away from the city which means getting on a undivided hwy that people treat like a raceway. I would love to go to town on my bike but no scenic routes to get there. I hope I can muster the courage and do this sometime.

JeffM
May 19th, 2010, 10:32 AM
I am in a weird situation, I have been riding for a cpl of weeks after my BSC class and have been training around the hood, but I am in such a small town that I live about 15 miles away from the city which means getting on a undivided hwy that people treat like a raceway. I would love to go to town on my bike but no scenic routes to get there. I hope I can muster the courage and do this sometime.

You will know when you are ready. Just be patient and continue to ride in your neighborhood. If thinking about it is freaking you out (scaring you) you might get more miles under your belt before you try. One way to get used to the highway is to get on it then get off it at the very next exit. I small chunk, on a quiet Sunday, is easier than a bunch of miles and having to deal with merging, trucks, and all that other stuff.

Be safe.

tjkamper
May 19th, 2010, 10:34 AM
You can start as soon as you feel comfortable. Your level of confidence and comfort is your best gauge.

TrueFader
May 20th, 2010, 03:42 PM
i had to ride my brand new 07 gsxr 600 home on the freeway. suck it up?

DRivero
May 20th, 2010, 11:06 PM
I didn't start riding in actual traffic until I was able to ride the bike without thinking about it. I tooled around my neighborhood only for quite awhile, until the little voice in my head ("okay, pull in the clutch, shift, let out the clutch, roll back the throttle, crap! too much throttle", etc.) stopped, and the operation of the machine became (mostly) automatic. I didn't trust myself to be able to think about all that AND worry about cagers, red lights, road conditions and other traffic-related stuff simultaneously.

I find that for me, baby-steps is the way to go. I have had to overcome a lot of little mental roadblocks (riding over 45mph or so, which was my top speed for a long while; highway riding; riding in windy conditions; riding with other riders) since I got my bike, and each one I got past, I did so by pushing myself a teeny bit at a time. I'd increase my speed by 5mph each time I went, ride the highway a couple miles and then get off, etc. I still have some situations I've yet to completely master, but I'm not in a big hurry. I figure I'll have everything down by the time I'm too old to ride......

Actually, if you listen to my kids, I'm too old already! Right....whatever.

adouglas
May 21st, 2010, 03:23 AM
To be honest I'm impressed with the level of caution and restraint shown by so many of you. Making sure you're ready for a challenge is important when it comes to something like this.

Somehow I have a feeling that if this were a gixxer forum, we'd have a lot more posts like

"WTF, take that sucker out and nail it first time hahahahahaha... I wheelied on my first ride and hit 100 on the way home!"