View Full Version : ------Ninja 250R Knee Down -------

motor32
May 13th, 2010, 05:36 PM
A short video of me knee dragging my Ninja 250R.

GvfCi2DcRGQ

KTRacing38
May 13th, 2010, 05:41 PM
Time to take it to the track...

motor32
May 13th, 2010, 05:43 PM
Time to take it to the track...

More fun in the real world. :D

2WheelGuy
May 13th, 2010, 06:01 PM
VruWHHEnZGw

motor32
May 13th, 2010, 06:08 PM
VruWHHEnZGw

WOW! What a bad-ass track.

Snake
May 13th, 2010, 06:36 PM
+1 for taking that to the track. Too many cagers in the real world.

LazinCajun
May 13th, 2010, 06:41 PM
Ever hear of a right turn? :D

+However many, take it to the track!

motor32
May 13th, 2010, 06:57 PM
SORRY Grandma for being someone who rides his SPORT-BIKE! I guess I better get a Harley.

Snake
May 13th, 2010, 07:01 PM
SORRY Grandma for being someone who rides his SPORT-BIKE! I guess I better get a Harley.

Hey, everyone here is just looking out for your safety and the safety of the rest of us that share the same roads with you.

alex.s
May 13th, 2010, 07:19 PM
motor32,
populated roads aren't the place for unsafe driving in _ANY_ vehicle. be it 1, 2, 3, 4, or more wheels. that's why traffic/speeding laws exist. because noone wants to get hit by you/your bike when you accidentally push it too far, or when someone else does something stupid that you can't compensate for.

bob706
May 13th, 2010, 07:37 PM
Great video :thumbup: I didn't see any unsafe riding there. It didn't seem like you had the bike leaned over very far or going very fast.

rockNroll
May 13th, 2010, 07:51 PM
I just can't condone spark-throwing knee sliders http://img215.imageshack.us/img215/6627/twak.gif

CRXTrek
May 13th, 2010, 10:59 PM
Can't help but :rotflmao:
I've never seen it done at intersections before.
:thumbup: for turning all the cagers against us.:(
Don't forget to post the "Dropped It" video.

gogoKawi
May 14th, 2010, 02:32 AM

Nice vid! Everyone here just doesn't want to see you, or someone else, get hurt. I think you would hear less noise if this was done on a side/remote street with no cars instead of populated/public ones.

On a side note, I see I have to work on my flexibility. There is no way in heck I can stick my knee out that far. Is that the trick to getting your knee down? :D

motor32
May 14th, 2010, 04:15 AM
Great video :thumbup: I didn't see any unsafe riding there. It didn't seem like you had the bike leaned over very far or going very fast.

AMEN BROTHER!!!!!!!

1. Not one turn was over 25 MPH. (It's called going around a corner.)

2. No speed limit was broken. (I don't speed ever.)

3. Hanging off the bike lowers your center of gravity. (Sitting upright means more lean angle for a turn, = less contact patch.)

4. Putting your knee down keeps your bike more upright. (I.E. more contact patch on the road.)

5. I'm not racing anyone just enjoying my bike the way it was meant to be. (Why have a Sport-Bike if you are gonna sit upright, go around a corner like an old lady and not have any FUN. Go buy a Harley, now thats SOOO cool.)

sharky nrk
May 14th, 2010, 04:48 AM
I just watched the video and have to agree with the posters advocating against this type of behavior. Now understand, I have no issue with someone riding their bike in a sporting fashion. Canyon carving, or back road bombing within the speed limit isn't anything to get worked up about.

However, a public intersection is no place to be sporting or push the bike - period. It could possibly be the absolute WORST place to do so. You have converging roads designed to cross paths, multiple vehicles, traffic signals, pedestrians, raised medians, pooling of fluids, ect ect ect ect.

Let me respond to your post as written

1. Its not called going around a corner, its called negotiating an intersection. The responsible thing to do in an intersection is to slow your speed to watch for hazards and be ready to deal with them. This is not only for your safety, but the saftey of others.

2. Aggressive riding does not = speeding. Aggressive riding comes in many forms, but it is always incorrect when it places yourself or someone else unnecessarily in harms way. I would be far less concerned with you going 5 mph over the speed limit on the road prior to the intersection, and then negotiating traffic with some care and caution.

3. You are absolutely right here. Getting off the bike and keeping it more upright can allow for more cornering clearance and better use of the tires available traction.

4. No, putting your knee down puts your knee down. Getting off the bike as stated above can be a useful riding technique. It doesn't matter if your knee touches the ground or not - if your body placement is the same.

5. If you were racing the bike on the track - then great. If you were enjoying your bike in a reasonably safe location and fashion on the street - then great. But you were not doing these things. If an old lady on a Harley acted like that in an intersection I would say the same thing to her. By all means enjoy the bike, have fun, use it as mentioned - BUT take care and use caution in places that require it.

sharky nrk
May 14th, 2010, 04:50 AM
I just watched the video and have to agree with the posters advocating against this type of behavior. Now understand, I have no issue with someone riding their bike in a sporting fashion. Canyon carving, or back road bombing within the speed limit isn't anything to get worked up about.

However, a public intersection is no place to be sporting or push the bike - period. It could possibly be the absolute WORST place to do so. You have converging roads designed to cross paths, multiple vehicles, traffic signals, pedestrians, raised medians, pooling of fluids, ect ect ect ect.

Let me respond to your post as written

1. Its not called going around a corner, its called negotiating an intersection. The responsible thing to do in an intersection is to slow your speed to watch for hazards and be ready to deal with them. This is not only for your safety, but the saftey of others.

2. Aggressive riding does not = speeding. Aggressive riding comes in many forms, but it is always incorrect when it places yourself or someone else unnecessarily in harms way. I would be far less concerned with you going 5 mph over the speed limit on the road prior to the intersection, and then negotiating traffic with some care and caution.

3. You are absolutely right here. Getting off the bike and keeping it more upright can allow for more cornering clearance and better use of the tires available traction.

4. No, putting your knee down puts your knee down. Getting off the bike as stated above can be a useful riding technique. It doesn't matter if your knee touches the ground or not - if your body placement is the same.

5. If you were racing the bike on the track - then great. If you were enjoying your bike in a reasonably safe location and fashion on the street - then great. But you were not doing these things. If an old lady on a Harley acted like that in an intersection I would say the same thing to her. By all means enjoy the bike, have fun, use it as mentioned - BUT take care and use caution in places that require it.

Anyways rant over, I look forward to seeing continued videos of your riding, perhaps next time in a more appropriate place and fashion. :thumbup:

binlagin
May 14th, 2010, 05:02 AM
You defiantly seem to be very comfortable on your bike... but... there is zero reason to drag knee through an intersection.

I'm going to have to agree with everyone else here... take it to the track.

bob706
May 14th, 2010, 05:28 AM
What is the problem guys? Could something go wrong while dragging a knee on public roads? Yes. Could something go wrong while riding like a stick in the mud? Yes. He wasn't doing anything wrong. Granted, you don't see stuff like that everyday but that's no reason to have a conniption fit. You all are probably just jealous. :p I know I am

motor32
May 14th, 2010, 09:10 AM
Hey guys sorry to get everyone so pissed with the way I ride. I didn't mean to. Everyone here is free to express their opinion. Please do. Thats what living in a free country is about.
I'm an old man here 45+. I've been riding for a long long time. At my skill level I'm very comfortable riding the way I do. If it's not for you fine. Everyone rides at different levels and you have to know your limits. I don't want to see anyone hurt trying to ride above their level.
As for the video. No laws were broken. Proper gear was worn. Speed limits were observed. No pedestrians were endangered. No getting my bike sideways under braking. No power wheelies coming out of turns. No limits were pushed at all. You may not like putting your knee down at an intersection, please don't. If you ride your bike for fun only at a track your missing out. I enjoy everyone of my rides and have for years.
This Ninja 250R makes me feel young. It can be pushed so much harder than in the video. But I will agree that the track would be a better place for it.
If any of you are ever in the Chicagoland area look for the old man with his knee down. Be safe, wear your gear and enjoy life. Steve,

JeffM
May 14th, 2010, 11:15 AM
Steve, post the vid of you getting a knee down on the Connie :D

motor32
May 14th, 2010, 11:27 AM
Steve, post the vid of you getting a knee down on the Connie :D

People $hit their pants looking at the 250R video. A bike twice as heavy and older than most guys here with full bags. That would have everyone in a TIZZY. Oh well.

9pWHuXKo4oY

CC Cowboy
May 14th, 2010, 11:57 AM
more fun in the real world. :d

r.i.p.

Alex
May 14th, 2010, 01:20 PM
...older than most guys here...

Don't worry, we've got plenty of old farts here (http://www.ninjette.org/forums/showthread.php?t=9937). :p

(spoken as a fellow old fart) :thumbup:

ninja250
May 14th, 2010, 02:11 PM
As much as I'd hate to admit it more than anyone, they are right.

The parking lot looked good to me.
Intersections: prolly a bad idea dude.

Looked nice and smooth though. :thumbup:
Grab some cones for the lot or take it to a nice open twisty with minimal traffic and bring a friend.

Some thing out of your control or some idiot out of your control will ruin it for you. (black sand, bad drivers etc)

JeffM
May 14th, 2010, 08:42 PM
Oh, btw: Steve, sweet Connie!

karlosdajackal
May 16th, 2010, 02:08 PM
Looks very safe and in control to me :thumbup:

The irony is some of the people not putting their knee down and keeping their weight in the middle are probably actually leaning the bike more as a results and even more likely to have an issue because of it. We know you were not speeding as that big ugly pickup at the start seemed to be going the same speed as you. :eek: So did the prius behind you at 1:50. :D

CC Cowboy
May 16th, 2010, 04:08 PM
The problem is the perception of the general public. I think it was totally safe (unless there is gravel or oil or potholes or any other obsticales that will break your knee or cause a fall and crash) but this gives motorcyclists that "they are crazy" look in the eyes of the ignorant public.

Dano
May 17th, 2010, 07:29 PM
Is it just me or am I crazy but I didn't see any need to stick your knee way out there? the turns/intersection weren't tight enough to even put the bike on the edge of the tire. I would be interested in seeing you take a video with the knee scraping on a twisty backroad.

izmail1215
May 26th, 2010, 02:25 PM
It is a sport bike but you don't play sports on the road 0.o as long your safe its alright but a parking lot video would keep the hate down a tad bit.

adouglas
May 27th, 2010, 06:58 PM
While I agree in principle about leaving track riding for the track... or at least not doing it on public roads... I have to say that I LOVE the sound of those pucks scraping. :D

binlagin
July 18th, 2010, 07:44 PM
I have a couple of videos to share that where taken in a closed lot! Please enjoy in 720p resolution :D

uSaxjd-q4IA
Before track day

BNt8DZHmLvg
After track day

kyl18b
July 18th, 2010, 08:35 PM
It's a bird!

It's a plane!

It's SUPER SQUID!!

i7x6LWP1FKE

ithaca00
July 19th, 2010, 01:42 PM
I have a couple of videos to share that where taken in a closed lot! Please enjoy in 720p resolution :D

FYI that is horrible body positioning. Your upper body is completely crossed up. This will limit you severely on the track except in destroying pucks. You will see a lot of improvement in your riding if you can get your upper body off the bike as well as your lower body. Ideally your spine would be parallel with the bike. As of right now it is pointing to the opposite side of the bike.

motor32
July 19th, 2010, 02:54 PM

uSaxjd-q4IA
Before track day

BNt8DZHmLvg
After track day

Next time you practice, Try dropping your inside shoulder down and getting your chinbar to touch your knuckles. Your doing great, keep it up and you'll only improve. Steve

paterick4o8
July 20th, 2010, 12:22 AM
ok cool but knee dragging is mostly for show.. I like to look more for how learned over the BIKE is.. getting the bike super sideways, now that's what's gangsta

Samer
July 20th, 2010, 08:30 PM
FYI that is horrible body positioning. Your upper body is completely crossed up. This will limit you severely on the track except in destroying pucks. You will see a lot of improvement in your riding if you can get your upper body off the bike as well as your lower body. Ideally your spine would be parallel with the bike. As of right now it is pointing to the opposite side of the bike.

Well said. I've seen this way too many times. It looks bad, and it is bad. Just stop riding twisted people! :eek:

ok cool but knee dragging is mostly for show.. I like to look more for how learned over the BIKE is.. getting the bike super sideways, now that's what's gangsta

Actually, the idea is to hang off of the bike so that the bike is less leaned over. The people who ride twisted are going out of their way to drag their knee. If they had the proper riding position, their knee wouldn't be anywhere near the ground at those corner speeds. Look at the moto-gp races. These guys are dragging knees and shoulders at the same time. Now look at the shoulders in this video. Night and day. I'm not saying ride on the street like moto-gp, but I am saying hang off the bike with your whole body because that gives you lean margin.

JeffM
July 21st, 2010, 08:06 AM
Body positioning and center of gravity:

binlagin
July 21st, 2010, 08:18 AM
I agree 100% with what you guys are saying... keep in mind this was me just having some fun/practice in a PARKING lot. I will keep these tips in mind when I'm on the TRACK and have some acutal speed!

I was just trying to "drag" knee to get it out of my system. I relize it isn't required to go fast and that it is a bi-product of going fast! But man is it ever fun :P

It's very difficult to safely carry speed though a corner with curbs, paint dirt and other obsticles that are in a parking lot!

I was really just practicing my throttle control and shifting my body weight from side to side ;) Leaning my bike any more at those speeds and grip levels is defintly dangerous :P

Thanks for the compliments(good and bad :P) and words of encouragment.

I can't wait for my 3rd track day!

binlagin
July 21st, 2010, 08:21 AM
Yea... I'm guilt of photo #3 lol

paterick4o8
July 21st, 2010, 10:09 AM
Well said. I've seen this way too many times. It looks bad, and it is bad. Just stop riding twisted people! :eek:

Actually, the idea is to hang off of the bike so that the bike is less leaned over. The people who ride twisted are going out of their way to drag their knee. If they had the proper riding position, their knee wouldn't be anywhere near the ground at those corner speeds. Look at the moto-gp races. These guys are dragging knees and shoulders at the same time. Now look at the shoulders in this video. Night and day. I'm not saying ride on the street like moto-gp, but I am saying hang off the bike with your whole body because that gives you lean margin.

:confused: but dude, I already knew this and I meant like this
http://www.abc.net.au/reslib/200810/r300056_1299651.jpg
weee

act like you know tho

paterick4o8
July 21st, 2010, 10:13 AM
Body positioning and center of gravity:

haha nice

spooph
August 20th, 2010, 09:49 AM
Moto32, awesome vids!

Did everybody else miss this? As I see it, you were simply making a video of dragging a knee on the open road, for entertainment value, right?

Not about being a hooligan, being crazy, sketch or dangerous. You know this, and have even stated it, you weren't actually going fast enough to need to drag knee.... I completely understand the WHY though.... Straight lines are boring. I like to see if I can peg the 90 degree bends on my commute home, just to liven up the very boring, very straight road. And although that means I'm getting close to the edge of the tire, I have yet to feel unsafe, or feel that I'm endangering anybody else. 90 degree bends are the only places I can get low enough while still staying within the speed limit. :D

I get ya dude!

So, keep 'em coming. I might have to go up to Chicago, so we can ride. And you're motivating me to make a video....

motor32
August 20th, 2010, 11:38 AM
Yeah I was just having fun. Guys like to talk $hit here. I just keep riding and don't really care what people think. The 250R is alot of fun and I enjoy it everyday. Just a note, your knee will touch before your peg will. Have fun! Steve

Moto32, awesome vids!

Did everybody else miss this? As I see it, you were simply making a video of dragging a knee on the open road, for entertainment value, right?

Not about being a hooligan, being crazy, sketch or dangerous. You know this, and have even stated it, you weren't actually going fast enough to need to drag knee.... I completely understand the WHY though.... Straight lines are boring. I like to see if I can peg the 90 degree bends on my commute home, just to liven up the very boring, very straight road. And although that means I'm getting close to the edge of the tire, I have yet to feel unsafe, or feel that I'm endangering anybody else. 90 degree bends are the only places I can get low enough while still staying within the speed limit. :D

I get ya dude!

So, keep 'em coming. I might have to go up to Chicago, so we can ride. And you're motivating me to make a video....

edbro
August 20th, 2010, 05:48 PM
Yeah I was just having fun. Guys like to talk $hit here. I just keep riding and don't really care what people think. The 250R is alot of fun and I enjoy it everyday. Just a note, your knee will touch before your peg will. Have fun! Steve

Quite the opposite actually, there is hardly any "$hit" talking on this forum compared to others from what I've experienced.

spooph
August 20th, 2010, 07:51 PM
Just a note, your knee will touch before your peg will. Have fun! Steve

This I know, and was hoping to make a point with it.... :D

I don't know about the **** talking though... This forum is really nice, and has some great people in it...