View Full Version : quick helmet question

fenwaynomar45
May 14th, 2010, 06:01 AM
My helmet somehow feel off my handlebars yesterday I guess I didnt have it on as good as i thought and hit the cement.. landed more on the facemask then on the top of the helmet.. I'm guessing for safety reasons i need a new one. Anyway it's still good?

billybobjoeiv
May 14th, 2010, 06:46 AM
my little cousin apparently threw my helmet on the ground when i was gone yesterday and i was wondering the same thing. i am pretty sure that you can send it in to the helmet company and they and they can test it to see if its damaged, but im not sure if it costs money. i remember my older cousin saying that if it drops from a height of 3 feet then it is likely broken. for both our sakes, though, i am hoping that the helmets are fine (400 dollar shoei...)

billybobjoeiv
May 14th, 2010, 06:48 AM
not sure what your helmet is, but i just checked the shoei website and they said that for only the price of shipping it there (free testing and return shipping), they will test your helmet for you.
http://www.shoei-helmets.com/CustomerService.aspx

PitBull
May 14th, 2010, 06:49 AM
This is from the Snell website:

I dropped my helmet! Do I have to go buy a new one?
Generally the answer is probably not. Helmets are one use items, but are quite durable otherwise, at least the ones we certify. Frequent dropping or spiking a helmet on the ground, or other hard surfaces may eventually degrade the helmet's performance. Similarly if the helmet falls to the ground at highway speeds unoccupied the owner must be aware that some degradation may have occurred. In general the real damage comes when the helmet contacts an object with a head inside. The Foundation recommends that if you are participating in an activity that requires that you wear a helmet, that you avoid hitting stuff with your head. It can be difficult to readily determine if a helmet has been damaged, and the protective capabilities compromised without a thorough inspection by a trained professional. Some manufacturers may provide this service or direct you to these others that can perform these inspections. The Foundation recommends that if you suspect your helmet may be compromised, then replace it. If the helmet has been involved in an impact while in use, replace it.

Here's the link:

http://www.smf.org/faqs.html#15

fenwaynomar45
May 14th, 2010, 07:06 AM
thanks a lot for the responses. Luckily my helmet isnt very expensive. just pretty annoyed id have to get a new one cause I did something dumb.

tjkamper
May 14th, 2010, 08:19 AM
With a short fall, while not in use, as long as there is not any chipping or cracking you should be fine. But remember that your coconut is in that thing and you want optimal protection.

If you have any doubt, I recommend getting a new helmet. Even if there is the possibility that the helmet is still good, your better off feeling comfident in your gear than worried that it won't do you any good.

Next time, I recommend not placing your helmet on the handlebars. Use the latches und the seat, carry it with you or place it on the ground. It only takes a second to loose a lot of money.

Snake
May 14th, 2010, 09:42 AM
Some good info in this video from an Arai guy with Jay Leno:

http://www.jaylenosgarage.com/video/clips/arai-helmets/283819/

He perty much says the same thing as the quote from the Snell site.