View Full Version : Getting smooth on the throttle

talldrink
May 14th, 2010, 12:34 PM
Moved:

CC & Kelly: I did both the wd-40 and pushing on the seat. I also purchased some graphite and put in the lock mechanism as well. It worked!! Thanks for your input guys.

Another question though: I have very little seat time thus far and I noticed on my ride today that I am VERY jerky on the throttle (esp during shifting) which caused a lot of front-end diving. How can I alleviate that? Practice, I guess, huh? I need to become smoother.

Another question: It seems that my foot was constatntly searching for the rear brake, as if it wasn't high enough to my foot. Can I adjust it?

Thanks again.

kkim
May 14th, 2010, 01:49 PM
I'd say with practice your throttle control will become more precise and you'll get to "learn" the bike and how it responds when you twist the throttle. You can help this, though, by making sure your throttle freeplay is set correctly. The exact specs for how much freeplay is in your owner's manual. When adjusted correctly, it will aide in the the clutch/throttle interplay that happens when you shift gears. Obviously, setting the clutch freeplay is important, too, so the controls always react the same so you will know when the clutch releases/engages and the throttle starts to open the carbs.

yes, the rear brake pedal height is adjustable.

CC Cowboy
May 15th, 2010, 12:51 PM
Smoothness with the throttle is just like in a car (with a manual trany). Try shifting each gear at the same RPM. Instead of just riding in top gear go in an area where you will be shifting (up and down) continuously. Some people never get it, some are a natural (thank you, thank you , thank you), some learn it after much practice.

When I was a kid my dad used to tell me drive, or ride, like you are a chauffer and you want the ride to be as smooth as possibly for the passenger.

Relaxing makes it a lot easier.

talldrink
May 15th, 2010, 12:54 PM
I will visit a parking lot and practice that CC.

I would probably understand better if I had ever driven a manual.

I like the chaueffer simile; makes it easier to understand.

Bostonninjabastard
May 17th, 2010, 01:35 AM
I allways shift around 6000 or 7000 rpm. I used to have a similar problem with shifting
but since I started only shifting around the same Rpm no matter what gear I have noticed it's totally smooth now. Good luck n keep practicing. I've only been street riding for like 2 weeks so I know all to well how much there is to
learn cheers from Boston
Posted via Mobile Device

talldrink
May 17th, 2010, 05:36 AM
Will take that into consideration; thanks Tom. :)