View Full Version : Not selling my 250R, but picked up a new bike

Flow
May 18th, 2010, 08:43 PM
Well, I'm in Alabama; it'd be a horrible shame if I went without a dirtbike, wouldn't it?

Picked up a YZ125 today at a very nice price. Pictures:

http://img245.imageshack.us/img245/738/bike1n.png http://img153.imageshack.us/img153/2208/bike2.png http://img413.imageshack.us/img413/2909/bike3.png

Mods:

Bored .30 over -- 144CC as a result
Wiseco Piston
Boyesen Pro Series Reeds
Bark Busters (yay!)
It has the number "72" on it. This makes it twice as fast.

This little bike is extremely powerful and caught me off-guard when I first took off. So far I love this bike.

kkim
May 18th, 2010, 09:28 PM
welcome to the world of dirt bikes... they are addicting. :happy50:

Flow
May 18th, 2010, 09:37 PM
Thanks, and no kidding, it's so much fun riding it. Times like this make me wish I had no neighbors or I'd be out riding now. This little guy will be in the stable for a long time with the 250R.

ninja250
May 19th, 2010, 06:15 AM
Nice pick-up.
Been looking at Dual Sports and Trials bikes myself lately.
Can't decide which one would suit me better.

I know a few places I could ride either one but probably leaning towards the dual sport.

dubojr1
May 19th, 2010, 07:05 AM
welcome to the world of dirt bikes... they are addicting. :happy50:

Yep! I have 3 and I love them each in a different way...:D

Flow
May 19th, 2010, 10:58 AM
Fouled the spark plug(I think) about a mile away from home. Worst experience ever but still can't wait to recover to replace the plug and hop back on for another ride. :p

It was riding like a dream, I slowed down a bit and the engine started losing power. Once it shut off, I couldn't start it again. Calves hurt too much to get back on at the moment. Had to get a friend to tow the bike home.

Snake
May 19th, 2010, 11:00 AM
Nice bike to have as a second bike.

kkim
May 19th, 2010, 11:01 AM
heh, heh... two strokes are a bitch on plugs. check your jetting if you don't want it happening again. Do you know how many hours are on the piston?

also, what ratio are you running gas/oil and what oil are you using?

Flow
May 19th, 2010, 11:05 AM
heh, heh... two strokes are a bitch on plugs. check your jetting if you don't want it happening again. Do you know how many hours are on the piston?

also, what ratio are you running gas/oil and what oil are you using?

Not too sure how many hours are on the piston. The ratio is 1:32 with Quicksilver synthetic.

kkim
May 19th, 2010, 11:13 AM
take a look at the plug and see what it looks like. if it's oil fouled, you may want to cut back on the oil. (make sure the air filter is clean) On my previous two strokes, I ran 50/1 synthetic without problems. On my trials bike, I'm running 100:1 synthetic due to the low demands/rpm the bike spends idling.

Hop on a YZ forum and see what others do about their jetting for your particular year. I have a feeling the pilot jet could be leaned a bit, but you never know without testing or someone else who has remedied the same problem you're having.

Flow
May 19th, 2010, 11:52 AM
Alright. I suck when it comes to these kinds of things. I don't think I'll be able to do that alone. Thanks for the suggestions, fellow.

Flow
May 19th, 2010, 04:22 PM
Replaced the spark plug and filled it up again and I could swear it's running better than before. Hope the plug doesn't go bad in a couple days.

BlueRaven
May 19th, 2010, 05:03 PM
Dirt bikes looks like soooo much fun. Saw one today and told mom i should take up the sport. I sensed she was rolling her eyes saying to herself "here we go again" while she was driving me home.

Enjoy your new toy :D

Flow
May 19th, 2010, 05:04 PM
Enjoy your new toy :D

Oh I am. I'm actually about to head out to look at a DRZ125L, that way if a friend/family member comes over and wants to hit the pits/trails I've got a second bike.

Also, I was sunburned from today's ride. :( Not using a street jacket for this, got armour instead.

EDIT: DRZ125L added to the stable.

Flow
July 24th, 2010, 08:31 PM
Update: The YZ125 is running like a dream, haven't had a problem since the spark plug. I've gone down 4 times on the DRZ125L, one time resulting in a meniscus tear/ACL. Also bought a 2005 Blaster which has been fun as well.

Off-roading is amazing fun, but that damned DRZ is bad luck.

Kitdog
July 25th, 2010, 01:01 AM
Good choice on the YZ125 love mine it was what I learned on before I got my Ninjette still have it. Don't think I will ever give it up.

shadowskater
July 25th, 2010, 01:20 AM
Nice dirt scoot man! I got started on dirt bikes when I was younger. I've been through quite a few, last one I had was a yz125, I had mine back when four strokes started dominating the field, but I always loved the scream of a two stroke. :cool: