View Full Version : NEW (to me) Ninja!

FlamingYellowInsanity
May 19th, 2010, 11:55 PM
As some of you may know, I was recently involved in an accident, the bike is totalled out and I am getting a check for a bit over $2,250 (for just the bike, the med/gear/pain-suffering is still in the works). This morning I was browsing Craigslist and found a decent condition 2003 ZX6R for 2,800 smackers... and, it has a good chunk of aftermarket in it also (mild cam, full yoshi exhaust, tail kit, k&n, and remap fuel just to name the main ones). Is was dropped in a parking lot and could use a new tank (not a huge deal, still useable, but kinda ugly), but other than that and some mild scratches, it's in pretty good condition! Runs strong and has 19k on the motor, so it's still relatively fresh! :)

Well, almost needless to say I'll be picking it up in a few days, and man is this thing FAST!!! I'm gonna love it! hehehe! Gotta be careful for a while though till I get used to the more agressive riding posture and the extra power! It feels like it's glued to the road, very nice! This will be an excelent bike to further my skills on, as I had basically outgrown my 250... Any advice on this fresh bike? Other than to be UBER careful? I got that one covered, no worries. I'll get pics up soon!!!! :D I'm excited to be back on 2 wheels!!!! WOOT!!!!

Travis

skiba
May 20th, 2010, 02:04 AM
My advice to you:

Kick ass and take names.
:D

ScraitT
May 20th, 2010, 05:10 AM
Sounds like a good price on the bike...however I'd be a little cautious. All that work... including opening the engine for cam work? A bike with mods that extensive was probably ridden hard. Between that potential of hard riding, and the opening and modification of engine internals, I'd be a bit worried about reliability.

Gotta be careful for a while though till I get used to the more agressive riding posture and the extra power!

Let me correct you there...."Gotta be careful THE WHOLE TIME I OWN THE BIKE." ;) Don't get overly confident, feeling like you're used to the bike, and let it come back to bite you in the....

This will be an excelent bike to further my skills on, as I had basically outgrown my 250...

I doubt you outgrew your 250. You might have gotten comfortable with it and felt you wanted some more power...but unless you do trackdays often, there was plenty more the 250 could have taught.

However, I'm not implying you're not ready for a 600. I'm just saying be careful and don't get overconfident. Just because you get used to the power it has, don't forget to respect it.:thumbup: Enjoy the ride. Post pics.

Alex
May 20th, 2010, 06:00 AM
/moved to lair

Snake
May 20th, 2010, 06:36 AM
Congatulations on the new bike.
My advice is to take it easy and learn how the bike handles.

Flashmonkey
May 20th, 2010, 07:01 AM
2003 ZX6R...I'm assuming this is the first gen 636? That was a popular bike with the stunters...if you haven't done so already check everything over and make sure the frame has no damage. I'd invest in a full tune-up complete with a valve check if I was you.

And +1 on not being over confident. Kawi released this bike as part of their new track-focused mentality and has a reputation for being mental.

Anyway...pics or GTFO :D

deezyellownutz
May 20th, 2010, 08:03 AM
636 is SICK! I had a 2005 - Ridiculous when it opens up. Not a bad price for a 03' but the mileage does make me slightly concerned. I agree with ScraitT about all the work being done. It will be night and day when you transition from Carb to FI. I was sick to my stomach when I went from my 93' ZX7R to a 01' F4i. The power is instant... ride safe my friend.

FlamingYellowInsanity
May 20th, 2010, 03:42 PM
well it certainly has some work done to it, and I would assume being ridden somewhat hard, but being made for it, I doubt the bike's in too bad of shape. A tune up is a good idea, but money's tight, so I'll have to wait and see about that one. I agree about being caution, thanks for reminding me. I guess I should have said I would be SUPER-EXTRA-cautious until I get used to it, then only normally cautious, lol. But no, seriously, I have a lot of respect for this machine, and will indeed be careful.

I am 99% sure it was not used for stunting, it's in too good of shape for that unless the stunter was perfect. No frame damage visible, no subframe or fork damage either, some very minor cosmetic stuff (scratches), and a dented tank. The bike runs solid and pulls hard, I am confident it will get 10's of thousands of miles out of it without a thing going wrong, then I'll rebuild it and keep riding! Hahaha! I plan on keeping it for a while, as it is indeed a sick bike! :D

And Tyler, yeah...I'm sure there was still more for the 250 to teach me, but it was getting tired of the 45mile (each way) commute to school. It just wasn't happy in cali traffic. I was planning on keeping it till I got out of school, but since this happened, it's a good time to upgrade (it's NOT a beginner's bike, no matter what they say, lol). I feel confident going to a larger bike is acceptable right now, and I feel that I learned almost everything I could from the ninja, but sadly I never did get to those track days.... :/ awww...I did want to... Oh well, gotta run, pics later!!! CL add will have to do for now! http://inlandempire.craigslist.org/mcy/1748787698.html

Travis

sofo
May 20th, 2010, 07:56 PM
Like many have said, enjoy it!!!

Take it to a place that can setup the suspension for you if you aren't savvy with compression / rebound dampening etc. so you can get it dialed for your weight and riding style.

After that, I'll say it again - enjoy one of the best supersports ever made at a great price!