View Full Version : Escaped a wreck yesterday

FerociousNINJA
May 20th, 2010, 07:11 AM
I escaped a wreck yesterday. I was at the intersection of Central Parkway & Douglas Ave in Altamonte Springs, FL. I was on the left lane next to the blue Nissan (right of me) riding my motorcycle (EX250) from work. The light changed and I took off like a bat out of hell. As soon as I crossed over Douglas Ave (less then 5 secs later) I hear a strange noise and saw in my mirrors the red Vette running the red light and hitting the car that was on my right. The family in the Nissan was fine but the police office said that guy in the Vette had a diabetic seizure and didn't stop! Some one was keeping an eye on me. I would have been T-boned by the Vette or knocked over to the on coming traffic lane by the Nissan and a good chance of not writing this story.

Since I'm a new rider I don't know If I scanned the intersection properly, so it does worry me.

Be safe...

Snake
May 20th, 2010, 07:17 AM
I am glad to hear you escaped a potential tragedy. I always make it a habbit of scaning the intersection whether I have the right of way or not. Keep practicing and keep safe.

Scott1620
May 20th, 2010, 07:17 AM
Glad everybody is alright, its stuff like this that makes me think the highway is safer then a road with a bunch of red lights... Guess they both have their dangers...

rceezy
May 20th, 2010, 07:45 AM
Man, what a freak accident. I am so glad you're alright. I always wait a few seconds before taking off at a green light just because you never know what someone else plans on doing.

JeffM
May 20th, 2010, 08:08 AM
Glad you missed getting in an accident. I always slow when approaching intersetions and do the left, right, left scan. When leaving from lights, I pause a moment and scan.

Flashmonkey
May 20th, 2010, 08:10 AM
Glad everybody is alright, its stuff like this that makes me think the highway is safer then a road with a bunch of red lights... Guess they both have their dangers...

I'm of the opinion that the freeway is much safer than a congested main street littered with stop signs and lights.

Good job on getting out of there. It's hard to account for everything when you ride, but keeping your eyes open and scanning around doesn't hurt! I'm glad everybody's ok. :thumbup:

tjkamper
May 20th, 2010, 08:47 AM
I also agree that the freeway is much safer.

I'm glad you're okay. Don't let it freak you out too much. Just remember to keep you head on a swivel and to expect the unexpected.

austexjg
May 20th, 2010, 08:59 AM
That is the type of situation that scares me - my cousin just got knocked off his scooter when a car changed lanes without seeing him. He has a broken pelvis and leg with new metal pins and a sh*tload of road rash. Icing on the cake - the woman did not have insurance, but luckily the hospital said they would go after the woman for payment instead of him.

So remember, even on a scooter doing 30, the risk is great so stay alert.

dtyndall
June 4th, 2010, 09:00 PM
i was in that area the other day. the central florida area is full of horrible drivers. i mostly just use the 408 and turnpike, staying off the congested main streets. is your bike an 08 in black by any chance?
Posted via Mobile Device

dimeified
June 4th, 2010, 10:55 PM
wow man glad your ok. are you gunna play the lotto?

BlueRaven
June 5th, 2010, 06:31 PM
wow you really have a guardian angel but remember never ride faster than your angel can fly.

adri99an
June 5th, 2010, 06:34 PM
9-1 = 8 lives left.....

Glad you are ok :)

Perf_White_Gt
June 6th, 2010, 12:03 AM
when I left san antonio earlier today there was a serious motorcycle accident... I didnt get much of the details but the rider died at the scene...

As I was told from the time i was a little kid... Riding a motorcycle wont get you killed its all the other jackasses you have to worry about that will...

dimeified
June 6th, 2010, 08:14 AM
I'm always worried that when im passing an 18 wheeler, some kid in his fart can civic or integra is going to come flying around from the right lane not realizing im there.

Perf_White_Gt
June 6th, 2010, 03:37 PM
being scared of ricers is a valid fear... i have already been hit by a ricer in the staging lanes at the track... so yea... if they can hit a parked car when they are just rolling forward.

what out for riced out civic going under 18 wheelers too... that **** happened in f and f... and we all know that movie is truth.

CZroe
June 6th, 2010, 03:49 PM
9-1 = 8 lives left.....

Glad you are ok :)

Are you saying he's a cat? ;)

when I left san antonio earlier today there was a serious motorcycle accident... I didnt get much of the details but the rider died at the scene...

As I was told from the time i was a little kid... Riding a motorcycle wont get you killed its all the other jackasses you have to worry about that will...

I was riding home from West Virginia to Newnan, GA (a bit south of Atlanta) after buying my Ninja new from the dealer and I passed a deadly motorcycle accident. There were a lot of sportbikers zipping around me that day and it was probably one that had passed me earlier, goading me to join them even though I was still breaking her in.

Samer
June 6th, 2010, 04:13 PM
Glad you're okay. I've noticed that in Florida, there seems to be a bad habit of people running red lights. Maybe it is just my perception. However, I've been in situations where I crossed an intersection on a yellow light when it was kind of a close call, then I look in the rear view mirror, and I see, not only did the guy behind me go through, but the person behind them went as well. So I know it wasn't even close for that third guy. Obviously, your situation is different, but it isn't a bad idea to look just in case.

CZroe
June 6th, 2010, 06:55 PM
I was coming to work today and lane-split up to a light. My focus was on my two lanes I was splitting, so when a lady walked right in front of me at the red light, I was startled (the crosswalk is on the other side of the intersection). I looked around and saw a red car to my left that had been turning left, was turned perpendicular at the median and completely smashed in on the right side with no occupants and no other vehicle in sight. Despite the lack of another vehicle, it must not have been much earlier: No responders, gawkers only just appearing on the sidewalk, lady had probably just exited the car, etc... I probably just missed it. I think it was a hit & run.

Perf_White_Gt
June 6th, 2010, 08:31 PM
I've noticed that in Florida, there seems to be a bad habit of people running red lights.

It is all the old people having seizures and blacking out through red lights...