View Full Version : 3-letter searching now available

Alex
May 23rd, 2010, 03:53 PM
Hi all -

I know that some of you have been frustrated by not being able to search for words of 3 characters (used to be a minimum of 4). While I was making other upgrades today, I was able to change that as well. Which should make it that much easier to search for things like GPS, key, mpg, and even etc. :p Sorry for the downtime on the site this afternoon, but I was feeling ambitious and it was a good time to change a whole bunch more behind the scenes....

- Alex

CZroe
May 23rd, 2010, 03:59 PM
Now I can use 250 for both EX250 and 250R (not that I usually have to specify... considering the forum). :thumbup:

Thanks!

tabogon
May 26th, 2010, 06:54 AM
"oil" was a PITA to search the forum for threads on oil. haha

Alex
May 28th, 2010, 06:02 AM
And now we can see that there are 93 threads on the site that deal with "CDI"... :thumbup:

Alex
April 3rd, 2013, 01:00 PM
Hmm - I think this is something that I hadn't carried over to the new server. I need to find the setting I tweaked to allow for 3-letter searching; I sure wish I had posted a link to it within this thread...

antiant
April 3rd, 2013, 01:02 PM
No wonder I had a hard time pulling up MSF threads. Cool.

csmith12
April 3rd, 2013, 01:10 PM
The google site search is an option for those pesky searches. Find it under advanced search in the search sub-menu.

antiant
April 3rd, 2013, 01:13 PM
^ Completely forgot about that, thanks for the reminder.

Alex
April 3rd, 2013, 01:19 PM
I think this link (http://www.electrictoolbox.com/mysql-full-text-index-word-length/) covers what I need to do. Will try and get to it tonight after I get home.

Alex
April 3rd, 2013, 09:12 PM
That did the trick. If I forget again, it was setting the ft_min_word_len value to 3, restarting mysql, then repair/optimize the whole db for it to rebuild the indexes.