View Full Version : Need forums input!

DEXSPEED
May 26th, 2010, 04:34 PM
I'M IN THE PROCESS ON DECIDING W/C BRAND OF HELMET TO GET THIS TIME :confused: ALL IN THE $300 RANGE:eek::thumbup:
3 MAJOR BRANDS
SHOEI
SUOMY
ARAI

CAST YOUR OPINION AND LET THE BATTLE BEGIN!:fencing::ohno:

Snake
May 26th, 2010, 04:36 PM
Add a poll to your thread to see which gets the most votes.

kkim
May 26th, 2010, 04:40 PM
I'M IN THE PROCESS ON DECIDING W/C BRAND OF HELMET TO GET THIS TIME :confused: ALL IN THE $300 RANGE:eek::thumbup:
3 MAJOR BRANDS
SHOEI
SUOMY
ARAI

CAST YOUR OPINION AND LET THE BATTLE BEGIN!:fencing::ohno:

depends on your head shape... buy one that fits you properly, not by brand.

DEXSPEED
May 26th, 2010, 04:40 PM
I dont know how to do that :(

Snake
May 26th, 2010, 04:43 PM
When starting a thread scan down to "additional options" and look for polls. Not sure but you may still be able to add one?

Xerxi
May 26th, 2010, 05:03 PM
Go to a local helmet shop and try on different helmets.

I had had to try dozens of helmets before i found one that fit me the best (shoei X-11 size M)

All helmets fit differently and feels different. Trying them on for extended periods of time would be best.

(are there arai helmets under $300? i thought they were $500+)

sombo
May 26th, 2010, 05:08 PM
I agree with kim, go with comfort and head shape and don't worry about brand. I tried on some of those ultra ridiculously priced helmets and they did not fit my head at all. Most were too narrow and I could feel them starting to cause a headache just from less then a minute on my wide freaking head.

ATM I have 2 helmets, one from HJC and the other from AFX. One is large, the other is xlarge. It's all on how it fits that matters. They all have to pass the same tests to get the ratings. So if you come across two helmets that meet the same ratings and one is $150 and the other is $300, what are you really paying double for with the $300 at the same safety rating?

DEXSPEED
May 26th, 2010, 05:14 PM
I understand the fitting process for helmets:d i guess i'm just curious about the popularity of each brand here in the forum:)
i'm looking at a arai profile for $288

kkim
May 26th, 2010, 05:19 PM
again... don't buy by brand/name, but how the helmet fits your particular head shape.

http://www.webbikeworld.com/motorcycle-helmets/motorcycle-helmet-shapes.htm

DEXSPEED
May 26th, 2010, 05:27 PM
I hear ya,kkim thanks.can we still do the brand popularity poll:)

kkim
May 26th, 2010, 05:41 PM
sure, if that's what you want to do. :) I believe the only person that can add a poll to an existing thread would be Alex.

Flashmonkey
May 26th, 2010, 07:26 PM
Suomy....I say this because Shoei's don't fit me that well.

The "round oval" shaped Arai's fit me...and those are the same fit as the Suomy's. So back to my original point....Suomy...its like an Arai...but not $800. :thumbup:

Alex
May 26th, 2010, 08:11 PM
/poll added

tapdiggy
May 26th, 2010, 08:44 PM
I have not tried Suomy, but Arai and Shoei helmets are unsuited to my head. Fortunately, the "cheap" brands fit me well. HJC and Shark are worth a look unless you refuse to spend less than your $300 budget.

Xoulrath
May 28th, 2010, 04:50 PM
I voted Arai, but the poll option should have, "What fits best" as an option.

Like others said, buy what fits best. Go to several different shops and try on several different brands AND several different models within those brands. For example, Arai has a model which is extremely round (Quantum) and one which is extremely narrow (Profile).

I personally fit best in the Arai Corsair V (I always seem to gravitate towards the expensive stuff even when I'm trying hard not too lol). I also loved the way the Shoei X-12 fit, as it was very close to the Corsair. The RF-1100 also fit very well. I ended up getting the RF-1000 because it fit almost as well as the new Shoei models but was several hundred dollars less on clearance.

addy126
May 29th, 2010, 06:30 PM
Hmmm oddly enuff out of my collection HJC, KBC Vr2 Gunslinger, Shoei R1000, Shark RSX,GMax GM68S Dragon, Scorpion EXO 700..... Panned by Webbikeworld.com, the KBC Vr2 is the best fitting for me, quiet and most comfortable I've used out of the lot. Little to no wind buffeting, interior plush and didn't feel or look like I have a huge "melon" over my head. Now I'm wearing my Scorpion and Shoei more often than not. Tomorrow I'm gonna put that KBC back on and see if the difference still holds true. Your poll tho.. I'm voting for the Shoei.....

Sailariel
May 29th, 2010, 06:38 PM
I have two HJC helmets--one is an open face for around town, the other is a full face. The helmet I use most because it fits well and is comfortable is the Nolan 103.

rockNroll
May 29th, 2010, 06:56 PM
Go for fit, quality and features. I like removable/washable liners, fog resistant visors, nice looks and a strap with retention at the end so I don't have to loop the end around under my chin to keep it from flapping in the wind. I also don't like visor retention/ratchet set ups that require me to be on the verge of breaking the stuff when trying to change the visor. :mad:

JokerSeven
May 30th, 2010, 09:41 AM
Being the gear whore I am, I've had alot of helmets. After wasting several thousand dollars over the years I realized the the most expensive, coolest looking helmet is not necessarily the best. I found that the HJC helmets fit my melon the best. I have had the IS-16 "scratch" for the last few years. I bought the FS-15 Carbon a few months ago and I swear it is the best helmet I have ever owned.

izmail1215
May 31st, 2010, 09:14 AM
Icon ftw!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

demp
May 31st, 2010, 10:13 AM
depends on your head shape... buy one that fits you properly, not by brand.

What he said

ninjabrewer
May 31st, 2010, 10:28 AM
Since it has been said already, there really is no reason to say "try on a bunch, and get the one that fits the best" so I won't say it.

nb