View Full Version : My run in with a large dog.

ericdrum
June 2nd, 2010, 12:27 PM
When I took the MSF course and they taught us about how to approach dogs coming after you, I thought to myself, "Hmmm, what are the chances of a run in like that?". Well I'm a total noob still. The 3rd day of riding ever on my new bike, I come to a stop sign. Just as I get across the street, a very large pissed off dog is charging at me. I couldn't believe it. My training kicked in, and I slowed down. He changed his trajectory and I punched it leaving him in the dust. It got the heart racing for sure, but I got out of it clean. Thanks to the MSF course, this is one skill that I'm glad I knew how to use.

kkim
June 2nd, 2010, 12:50 PM
yep... there seems to be some sort of magnetic attraction between dogs and bikes. You'll be surprised how much good, useful info you learned at the MSF.

:scooter: :doggy:

tjkamper
June 2nd, 2010, 01:08 PM
Dogs love to chase bikes. I've been chased many times. Way to keep a cool head and use that MSF training you invested in.

rceezy
June 2nd, 2010, 01:12 PM
I'm glad you made a safe get away! It's probably the dangling legs that attract them.

Guinss
June 2nd, 2010, 02:29 PM
Great that you took use of the MSF, not easy to keep it cool with a dog charging you.

I remember when i was riding my 50 cc, it was limited to 35 mph, managing about 25 mph uphills. Crappy acceleration in other words. No MSF for me at that time, being 16 years old and on my 2nd week riding or so. Met a huge dog in very good shape, it was no fun; luckily i wasnt eaten.

CZroe
June 2nd, 2010, 05:21 PM
Great that you took use of the MSF, not easy to keep it cool with a dog charging you.

I remember when i was riding my 50 cc, it was limited to 35 mph, managing about 25 mph uphills. Crappy acceleration in other words. No MSF for me at that time, being 16 years old and on my 2nd week riding or so. Met a huge dog in very good shape, it was no fun; luckily i wasnt eaten.

Dogs chase because it seems like you are running, which strokes their ego (sheepdog/cattle rustler/herding instinct). One strategy that always worked for me on a bicycle was to stop IMMEDIATELY and chase the dog. A dog can't chase what does not run away!

mrlmd
June 3rd, 2010, 06:44 AM
A Stebel air horn scares them off.
Vary your speed, it throws them off, then if you can, accelerate away from them. Try, if you can, NOT to run over them if they come running out at you, it can be disastrous.

tjkamper
June 3rd, 2010, 07:35 AM
This advice won't work on a motorcycle, but if you are ever walking and end up with a mean looking dog barking at you try bending down quickly like if you are going to pick up a stone. The dog will dart back about 20 feet in less than a second.

I learned this trick walking the streets of Venezuela where there are no less than 5 starving strays per city block.

Kitdog
June 3rd, 2010, 08:11 AM
Dogs always seem to chase no mater what your riding, motorcycle, bicycle, skateboard, horse what ever. This system works with the speed by I use it on my dirt bike to avoid feral dogs out by my parents farm. One trick my mom showed me when I was a kid on my bicycle (although it wont work on a motorcycle but if your walking or what ever) is you keep a small squirt gun with you loaded with a solution of 50-50 water/ammonia, a quick squirt to the head area and it sends them running (non harmful and drives them nuts, probably their acute sense of smell) she uses it when she rides her horses, she is a pro horse trainer for over 40 years. its way more scary on horse back because the dogs get the horse scared and it just takes off if it doesn't know what to do or trust you as the rider, and you have no control unlike a Motorcycle.

dimeified
June 3rd, 2010, 06:52 PM
I'm glad you made a safe get away! It's probably the dangling legs that attract them.

it could be the alien technology, the intimidating motor noises, and quick moving threating stance of what is misunderstood and un-natural to dogs. Machine, moving parts, no distinguishable identifiable emotion or sign of weakness. simply put, "im going to eat you doggie." Its sort of like cats with vacuum cleaners and dust busters. i mean, if a flying saucer landed in your backyard, wouldn't you start barking? fwiw i used to love to watch my cat get up and go like a bat out of hell when i turned on the vaccum.

FrugalNinja250
June 8th, 2010, 10:48 AM
...i mean, if a flying saucer landed in your backyard, wouldn't you start barking?

I for one would welcome our new alien overlords... :)

JeepSpeed18
June 9th, 2010, 01:45 PM
I just got done with my MSF class and I'll probably be doing this a lot. There is always stray dogs running around my neighborhood and there always pissed off pitbulls.

possumapproved
June 9th, 2010, 05:14 PM
My friends dog wont go near my bike parked but once I get going he chases and acts all tough. I think he sees it as a very big black dog ;)

demp
June 10th, 2010, 04:51 AM
Ahahaha oh fun fun I get chased by my gf's dog every weekend as I'm leaving her place... he can keep up to more or less 60 kph on those dirt roads... He chases us on the snowmobiles in the winter too :D, He won't actually get in the way of the bike though, he knows better... Won't even come close enough for me to pet him if the bike is on, the noise scares the crap outa him:thumbup:

ericdrum
June 10th, 2010, 05:24 AM
Yeah, I guess dogs really are enthralled by bikes. I was riding up a canyon yesterday and as I got closer to the truck in front of me I noticed a dog in the back of the truck bed. He was sticking his head off the side and running back and forth from side to side getting a better wind vantage point. At one point I got close enough for him to notice me and he immediately stood at the tailgate and just focused on me the rest of the way up the canyon. It was so funny. He didn't care about the wind anymore, he was fixated on me behind the car with his ears perked up. I kept thinking that he was going to jump out of the bed, but nothing he happened.

Cedilla
June 24th, 2010, 03:45 PM

When I used to ride a 50cc there was a huge great dane that I had to ride by every day. I hated it because that dog could outrun me, and it was viscous. Every time I would ride by that house that dog run from the house out to the road, and run beside be for a while trying to bite my legs, until one day it was running beside me, and it got a bit ahead of me and turned right in front of me. We both went tumbling down the road, and when we stopped the dog got up and ran, and never bothered me again.

izmail1215
June 25th, 2010, 08:07 PM
Dogs chase because it seems like you are running, which strokes their ego (sheepdog/cattle rustler/herding instinct). One strategy that always worked for me on a bicycle was to stop IMMEDIATELY and chase the dog. A dog can't chase what does not run away!

lol I get chased by dogs on my bike (cycle) all the time thats a big + to help you, if they chace me I chace them they run hahah weired but works but dont awalys trust dogs like that who know they might bite back...

Jankee
June 28th, 2010, 05:52 PM
Yeah, I guess dogs really are enthralled by bikes. I was riding up a canyon yesterday and as I got closer to the truck in front of me I noticed a dog in the back of the truck bed. He was sticking his head off the side and running back and forth from side to side getting a better wind vantage point. At one point I got close enough for him to notice me and he immediately stood at the tailgate and just focused on me the rest of the way up the canyon. It was so funny. He didn't care about the wind anymore, he was fixated on me behind the car with his ears perked up. I kept thinking that he was going to jump out of the bed, but nothing he happened.

Ill second that...i was slowly passing a pickup truck with one of those cab trailers and all of a sudden this little fugger starts barking like a maniac and it scared the living bejeezus out of me...wish i had a rocket launcher of some sorts.

Alex
June 28th, 2010, 07:30 PM
wish i had a rocket launcher of some sorts.

Dog probably wished he had one as well. :p

Jankee
June 28th, 2010, 07:32 PM
Dog probably wished he had one as well. :p

no way! not with a red ninja... :)

dimeified
June 30th, 2010, 07:23 AM
if you really wanna drive them nuts, wear a mailman's shirt and shorts, with high black socks that you push down to your ankles, and black shiny shoes, with a messenger bag while you ride.

scorpio_vette
July 3rd, 2010, 03:34 PM
you guys are so much friendlier than us cruiser riders. LOL alot of cruiser riders i know (myself included) will kick at the dog if he's running up to try and bite. or if i'm at the right speed, i'll hit the kill switch, rev it up a couple times and then turn the kill switch back on. the backfire is almost louder than a shotgun and scares most anything within reach, not to mention whoever is behind you will have a loud ringing in their ears.

no idea what i would do on my wifes 250. haven't had any dog encounters on that bike yet.