View Full Version : ATGATT...or comfort?

Xoulrath
June 7th, 2010, 03:05 PM
This is a gear-related thread, however I placed it in General so as to have more people involved in the discussion. If this is unacceptable, I apologize in advance Alex.

So I am reading the Consumer Reports blog that adouglas posted and it reminded me of an editorial in the July Cycle World on the subject of gear. More specifically, the USE of gear by various people and what is acceptable. So it got me thinking about what my acceptable level of gear was, well rethinking, because I already knew what my level of comfort was regarding gear.

I am pretty much an ATGATT person. I say pretty much because at the moment I am lacking a pair of riding jeans and if I am riding somewhere (i.e. to the movies to meet friends or to my wife's parents for dinner or to work) then I wear blue jeans with my knee/shin guards and shoes. So I do need to get those pants and more street oriented boots to be fully ATGATT. That should be taken care of within a month.

On the other hand, whenever I am riding to ride, which is quite often, I am full ATGATT: full-face helmet, textile jacket, full-gauntlet gloves, leather/textile riding pants, and full length boots. I will be buying a spine protector soon to further boost the protection for these riding days.

It should be noted that I always wear a full-face helmet, jacket, gloves and knee/shin guards. (And as soon as I get those riding jeans and street boots I will be wearing those all the time as well, or ATGATT.)

That brings me to the following questions:

1) What do you consider acceptable gear when using your bike for transportation?

2) What do you consider acceptable gear for spirited riding?

3) What is the least amount of gear you would ever consider wearing and in what conditions?

I answered the first two questions already, but in regards to the third, I feel given a perfect weather day in Florida cruising at 30 miles per hour I may be tempted to wear shorts and a t-shirt. I will always wear a helmet.

Cab305
June 7th, 2010, 03:26 PM
I live in Miami, it will be in the 90's here soon.

Solution: I only ride when the sun goes down, all my gear is mesh or perforated, and all my helmet vents opened.

ScraitT
June 7th, 2010, 03:41 PM
I'm in South Florida as well. I wear my helmet, mesh jacket, and gloves 99% of the time. Sometimes at the beach I'll take my helmet off because I want to take in the air and enjoy it all, but it's all low speeds.
If I have a girl ask for a ride, she gets the helmet and jacket, no exceptions.

I'm sure one day somewhere down the line it might bite me in the ass, but I enjoy life. I wear my stuff 99% of the time, and it's good enough for me. :thumbup:

Alex
June 7th, 2010, 04:00 PM
No need to apologize.

/moved to gear forum.

:)

noche_caliente
June 7th, 2010, 04:06 PM
ATGATT means just that - it isn't an either/or thing wtih me as far as comfort is concerned - if I'm not ATGATT, I don't feel comfortable riding. That's what stopped me riding with my pregnancy... once I couldn't fit in my gear, I stopped... if I could fit in it right now, I'd be off for a short ride as the beautiful weather is killing me.... but I can't, so I'm not riding

Soujyu
June 7th, 2010, 04:13 PM
About the only piece of gear I don't wear are my riding pants. I wear everything else.

The reason is that my pants don't do well in close to 100 degree weather AND you have jeans underneath them. I could do the "change when you get to work" trick, but everyone has a key to everyone else's office.... and I don't think I want the IT ladies or our technical writer to barge into my office when I'm without pants on.... :eek:

Momaru
June 7th, 2010, 04:17 PM
I have various levels of ATGATT for the weather (textile vs leather vs mesh), but I don't leave my parking spot without full-face helmet, some form of riding jacket & pants, gloves, knee/shin guards, riding boots. Had too many people I know, myself included, take low-speed crashes to believe it won't happen or be painful just because I'm only going around the corner. I feel positively naked without a full set of gear and it's just not worth an extra 5% ventilation/comfort to increase the chance of transmogrifying a portion of myself into hamburger in the event of a crash.

That said, haven't figured out the passenger bit yet, but in 2 years I haven't had to (or really wanted to) give a ride to someone that didn't already have a helmet/other gear they owned or could borrow in a pinch.

Cab305
June 7th, 2010, 04:28 PM
I must clarify, my ATGATT:
Full face helmet, 3/4 boots(hard), Icon shin/knee guard, hard back plate vest, mesh jacket with shoulder/elbow plastic, and I had a pair of carbon fiber gloves (lost one yesterday, @#!:*& arrrgh). T-shirt, regular jeans, and clean underwear just in case.

PS. Congratulations Kim.

Hadyn
June 7th, 2010, 04:39 PM
1) What do you consider acceptable gear when using your bike for transportation?
Helmet, Gloves, Boots, Jacket, and Leg Armor (under jeans). Not wearing all my gear has crossed my mind a couple times when I was running late, but there's nothing worth risking it. If I'm late, I'm late.
All of the above, plus some kind of abrasion-resistant pants.
3) What is the least amount of gear you would ever consider wearing and in what conditions?
The only time I've been in motion on the bike without gear was moving it 300 yards down an empty residential street at 10mph to a new parking spot, and even that felt pretty sketch.

longhorn
June 7th, 2010, 04:57 PM
It was 108 here today, pretty typical for the next few weeks, and some days even higher. Though I strongly believe in proper protection, it is simply impossible to safely wear it in heavy stop and go traffic in town in such conditions without risking dehydration and hyperthermia. I wear a long sleeved denim shirt, jeans, high boots, and summer padded gloves and 3/4 helmet and ride really defensively for the summer months.

alex.s
June 7th, 2010, 05:21 PM
hmm... interesting topic... i ride "ATGATT"... but the quality of gear changes... if i'm going on a trip just to ride, i wear my highest quality protective gear. if i'm going to work or to the store to pickup something small (under a few miles total travel), i'll usually skip the fancy jacket and fancy pants and go with a more comfortable (but still protective enough) riding jacket and riding jeans with strap-on knee protection and plainer boots that don't look like plastic dog chew-toys... seems to me i get less awkward glares when i don't look like a space-man buying a set of bolts...
:thumbup:

JeffM
June 7th, 2010, 05:22 PM
ATGATT - Lid, jacket, gloves, armored motorcycle specific pants, motorcycle specific boots. For me that also includes earplugs. The whole sha-bang. When the temps get above 90 I throw on an evaporative vest under my jacket.

adouglas
June 7th, 2010, 05:35 PM
The only time I don't go ATGATT is when I take the one-mile 30 mph ride to my lunch spot in the middle of the workday. For that I wear helmet, boots, jacket and gloves. I simply leave my overpants at the office.

Also, the jacket I wear at lunch is a spare I keep at the office. It's a standard mesh jacket with back pad and CE armor at the shoulders and elbows.

For my commute I wear pants with hip pads and knee armor, full torso armor including back protector (Velocity Juggernaut CE Level 2 armor), mesh or textile jacket over the armor, helmet and gloves.

Getting the armor done up for the lunch hop is just awkward enough that I choose to compromise and not wear it.

Wearing a mesh jacket over the armor means this is quite comfortable even in warm weather as long as I'm moving. It hasn't gotten super-hot here yet. I've ridden in humid 80s and been okay.

I will never wear shorts and a shirt. Ever.

I've had road rash from lowsiding a bicycle at about 25 mph and I don't want my wife to make fun of me like that ever again.

Xoulrath
June 7th, 2010, 07:59 PM
I'm in South Florida as well. Sometimes at the beach I'll take my helmet off because I want to take in the air and enjoy it all, but it's all low speeds.LOL, I'm not actually in Florida. I should have said that. I'm 20 miles northwest of Atlanta. The reason I mentioned Florida is because I, after complaining about how many riders I passed daily in shorts and a shirt instead of the proper protective gear, decided if there were anywhere I may do that, it would be cruising slowly in front of the beach on a nice straight road with plenty of sight distance. There are far too many hills and blind corners pretty much everywhere around here for me to even think about enjoying a cool breeze on my arms and legs even at 10 mph on any public road.

As far as the helmet, I suffered a very mild concussion when I was about 10. A kid pushed me off of a friend's bike and my head hit the large gravel in the driveway I was on. My mother was instructed to wake me every two hours and ask me my name, her name, my brother's name and the year. Oh yeah, and I forgot to mention the part where I can't remember the time between the push, or even the push itself, to the time I got to the emergency room. I was told by my father who was the one who brought me to the hospital that it was something like 30 minutes. There was blood all over the floor from where I walked in the backdoor. I got to see this after the hospital trip. It wasn't a fun experience and as concussions go, it was basically nothing. This thread wasn't started to judge others on their gear habits, but if there were one thing I would ask everyone to do, regardless of their gear level, is WEAR A HELMET ALL THE TIME. The human body is incredibly resilient but a head injury at low speed can kill you. You can't heal from that.

Not wearing all my gear has crossed my mind a couple times when I was running late, but there's nothing worth risking it. If I'm late, I'm late.I agree. With the already noted exception for me, I wear everything I have for even a short ride or even running late for work. :thumbup:

For me that includes earplugs.I agree with this as well, I can't ride WITHOUT earplugs. It's just too loud. My friends make fun of me but I'll have the last laugh; of course they won't know it because they won't be able to hear me laughing. :rolleyes:

I will never wear shorts and a shirt. Ever.

I've had road rash from lowsiding a bicycle at about 25 mph and I don't want my wife to make fun of me like that ever again.Yeah, I'm not gonna lie to people who have never experienced it. It hurts. I've never low-sided a bicycle, but I have high-sided them several times and the asphalt hurts. I've also had my legs try to fly out from under me and over my back on a skateboard (among other injuries), and um yeah that doesn't work so well. I suffered a very bad gash to my left elbow and arm on that one. Like to the bone. For me though, because that's a known pain level, I am willing to take the risk for that Florida vacation ride down the beach, or through my friend's neighborhood after working on the bike.

Thanks everyone for your responses. They are all pretty typical of what I expected based on the maturity level I have witnessed while being a member of this site. Gear all around. Be safe out there and have fun!

heatherintegra
June 7th, 2010, 10:26 PM
I wear...at all times...helmet, gloves, jacket (textile or leather depending on weather) tennis shoes, jeans. (the riding jeans are soon to come.)
I got a leather jacket due to the fact that I feel better and safer riding.

kkim
June 7th, 2010, 10:38 PM
I wear...at all times...helmet, gloves, jacket (textile or leather depending on weather) tennis shoes, jeans. (the riding jeans are soon to come.)
I got a leather jacket due to the fact that I feel better and safer riding.

consider investing in some motorcycle specific shoes/boots for more protection. :)

Perf_White_Gt
June 7th, 2010, 11:49 PM
sandals/shorts and my oakleys are all the protection you ever really need...

btw... i am not an organ donor... im taking that shizzz with me to the grave

Just Kidding!!!

Perf_White_Gt
June 7th, 2010, 11:50 PM
But I agree... not matter what you have on... at the very least have a jacket and helmet...

izmail1215
June 8th, 2010, 04:44 AM
I am not allowed to get on my bike unless i have gear this is because i am under age and my parents make me i am 16 lol

Scott1620
June 8th, 2010, 06:06 AM
This past weekend I was riding in 90 degree weather. I wore mesh riding pants that have hip pads, Astar smx-2 3/4 boots, icon knee/shin armor, Astar mesh jacket with elbow, chest, and shoulder pads, summer gloves with CF knuckles, and Bell Apex helmet...

When moving it wasn't bad at all, under my gear was a t shirt and mesh shorts. Id rather sweat while stopped than bleed if something unfortunate happens...

adouglas
June 8th, 2010, 06:07 AM
I am not allowed to get on my bike unless i have gear this is because i am under age and my parents make me i am 16 lol

Sooo..... if they didn't make you, you wouldn't?

Think.

Whenever anyone asks me why I wear all this stuff, I tell them to imagine running across a parking lot as fast as they can, and diving face-first as if they were sliding into second base.

That's a reasonable simulation of what happens if you go down at less than 20 mph. It only gets worse as you go faster.

I would do that little exercise without hesitation wearing my gear. I won't, because I don't want to shred my jacket and pants... but I have absolutely no doubt that I'd walk away completely unharmed.

Flashmonkey
June 8th, 2010, 06:52 AM
I almost never wear riding pants. The best I can manage at the moment is to wear whatever pants I'm using (for work, jeans, etc) and wear leg armor underneath.

98% of my riding right now consists of commuting to and from work...so my primary concern is impact. I'm usually stuck in traffic so I doubt I'll be sliding very far :D

Until I get the funds together for a custom 2-piece, I'm pretty much avoiding any hardcore "let's see what happens when I take this turn at this speed" kinda riding.

want1sobad
June 8th, 2010, 06:58 AM
my gear never changes regardless of how short the trip, weather, whatever. helmet, armored gauntlets, armored jacket, boots, knee/shin guards, jeans.

that being said i plan to add a chest/back protector and some armored shorts when i'm riding for the sole purpose of riding.

i am in florida and yes the temp and humidity are starting to pick up. yesterday i got stuck in stop and go construction in the middle of the afternoon = effing brutal. however, i'd rather sweat to death, knowing i'll be fine once i start moving, and hydrate when i get to where i'm going than risk the alternative. besides, the increased "comfort" if i wasn't wearing gear would maybe be 1%.

i also have wrecked on on bicycle doing about 20 mph. terrible rash - took about 3 months to heal. as previously stated, it doesn't take much speed for the road to burger you - why take the chance?

last but not least, my best friend's little brother was killed 2 weeks after graduating from high school when he low sided and hit is head on the curb doing 25 mph. as someone said, low speed can kill too......

as an aside, i went for a run with my gf last night along a busy road, avg speed 35-45. saw a lot of guys on bikes as weather was beautiful in the evening - not one had gear.

i just don't get it......

bobguy
June 8th, 2010, 07:20 AM
gloves, boots, helmet, armored jacket, usually riding jeans...but sometimes regular jeans...Im not convinced the riding jeans are that much better than regular. I do have some legit riding pants that are waterproof, but very hot for summer. I save them for weekend trips or below 40 degree weather.

drowe531
June 8th, 2010, 07:30 AM
Always have helmet, jacket (mesh or textile right now), gauntlet gloves and boots. The only thing I occasionly skimp on is pants. I do have motorcycle jeans from Cortech but they can get really hot at work so sometimes I'll just wear regular jeans. I do have the icon shin and knee armor but I'm still undecided on that as apparently my left calf is a tad to small to keep it up and it shifts around.

Guinss
June 8th, 2010, 07:40 AM
Always wearing boots, gloves, jacket, pants, helmet, earplugs and back-protector("turtle-shell"). Always.

dubojr1
June 8th, 2010, 07:43 AM
I admit I commute to work daily in business pants and leather shoes. :eek: I am always in my FG textile jacket, carbon fiber protection gloves, and of course my helmet. Outside of commuting to work, I wear a pair of jeans and leather boots along with my helmet, gloves, and jacket.

It really is time to step up my game on some riding pants and motorcycle specific boots. Still not sure how to handle the business dress though...

Xoulrath
June 8th, 2010, 08:06 AM
I admit I commute to work daily in business pants and leather shoes. :eek: Still not sure how to handle the business dress though...Yeah, I'm in the same boat at the moment. I wear khaki pants or blue jeans to work and not coincidentally, I ride in those same pants or jeans. I also wear synthetic suede basketball style shoes.

I'm in the field of education, school just let out here for summer and so I won't be riding to work for two and a half months. My plan once school starts again is to have some high quality over-pants that are waterproof and insulated with a removable liner so that I'm good to go all the way into that one month in Georgia where we have weather dip into the teens (I'll use the car then). Maybe this is an option for you?

I'll also be getting some waterproof street riding boots that are comfortable enough to just wear all day. Perhaps you can get a tank bag or tail bag or some form of cargo hold to put your dress shoes in and get a decent pair of all-weather riding boots and swap out at work.

want1sobad
June 8th, 2010, 08:09 AM
I admit I commute to work daily in business pants and leather shoes. :eek: I am always in my FG textile jacket, carbon fiber protection gloves, and of course my helmet. Outside of commuting to work, I wear a pair of jeans and leather boots along with my helmet, gloves, and jacket.

It really is time to step up my game on some riding pants and motorcycle specific boots. Still not sure how to handle the business dress though...

jason, check these out http://www.newenough.com/street/boots/sport_street_touring_boots/joe_rocket/velocity_motorcycle_shoe.html - this is what i have. was not willing to spend $150+, they are comfortable to walk around in, but offer all the necessary protection. just change shoes when you to work dude:rolleyes:

dubojr1
June 8th, 2010, 08:11 AM
Yeah, I'm in the same boat at the moment. I wear khaki pants or blue jeans to work and not coincidentally, I ride in those same pants or jeans. I also wear synthetic suede basketball style shoes.

I'm in the field of education, school just let out here for summer and so I won't be riding to work for two and a half months. My plan once school starts again is to have some high quality over-pants that are waterproof and insulated with a removable liner so that I'm good to go all the way into that one month in Georgia where we have weather dip into the teens (I'll use the car then). Maybe this is an option for you?

I'll also be getting some waterproof street riding boots that are comfortable enough to just wear all day. Perhaps you can get a tank bag or tail bag or some form of cargo hold to put your dress shoes in and get a decent pair of all-weather riding boots and swap out at work.

Sounds like you got a plan. :thumbup: Good options for me as well. Time for some research and some deal searching. :D

dubojr1
June 8th, 2010, 08:17 AM
jason, check these out http://www.newenough.com/street/boots/sport_street_touring_boots/joe_rocket/velocity_motorcycle_shoe.html - this is what i have. was not willing to spend $150+, they are comfortable to walk around in, but offer all the necessary protection. just change shoes when you to work dude:rolleyes:

Easy on and off.... Nice find Vince :thumbup: I guess I could slide my dress shoes in my backpack which is normal for me anyway cause I'm usually packing lunch too. :D

Momaru
June 8th, 2010, 11:31 AM
One thing to consider regarding those (any many other) low-top riding shoes is they likely won't protect any portion of your shins/calves/achilles tendon in a crash, nor will they help vs a twisted ankle. Just my opinion but they're not much better than 'regular' shoes; if you're gonna switch to work shoes once you get to work anyway, why not get some no-kidding riding boots? :2cents:

Guinss
June 8th, 2010, 11:40 AM
One thing to consider regarding those (any many other) low-top riding shoes is they likely won't protect any portion of your shins/calves/achilles tendon in a crash, nor will they help vs a twisted ankle. Just my opinion but they're not much better than 'regular' shoes; if you're gonna switch to work shoes once you get to work anyway, why not get some no-kidding riding boots? :2cents:

Absolutely, its advised to use boots which cover above the ankle, else there isnt much of a point.
I use theese:
http://www.giannifalco.com/uk/detail_products.php?cod=330&linea=2

bdavison
June 8th, 2010, 11:46 AM
Lid, Jacket, Gloves, Boots all the time, everytime.

You can wash sweat off....you cant wash off road rash and a cracked skull.

dubojr1
June 8th, 2010, 12:08 PM
Absolutely, its advised to use boots which cover above the ankle, else there isnt much of a point.
I use theese:
http://www.giannifalco.com/uk/detail_products.php?cod=330&linea=2

Did you look at them before replying...

Guinss
June 8th, 2010, 12:24 PM
Did you look at them before replying...
What kind of question is that? :(
Would you feel safe with those? Looks like regular running shoes.
They don't cover anything, your ankle would snap right off.
There is no way they can compare with proper boots, in terms of ankle support.

I hope this is not your regular approach to buying gear. It's like buying a cheap riding jacket "with including back-protector", which is really made out of cardboard/paper. It cant even be compared with buying an individual proper back-protector with links and straps.

dubojr1
June 8th, 2010, 12:43 PM
What kind of question is that? :(
Would you feel safe with those? Looks like regular running shoes.
They don't cover anything, your ankle would snap right off.

I hope this is not your regular approach to buying gear. It's like buying a cheap riding jacket "with including back-support", it cant even be compared with buying an individual proper back-support with links and straps.

Wow... you took that offensively...:confused:

Just saying the description says that the product has ankle protection. No boot or any footware for that matter will keep your ankle from "twisting off." None I'm aware of. I've never seen any company advertising their protection for twisting forces... :idunno:

Guinss
June 8th, 2010, 12:50 PM
Well, you asked if i looked at the shoes. As far as i understood, you tried to tell me the shoes would do the job as good as boots. I tried to explain you the difference. No offense here. :)

No boot or any footware for that matter will keep your ankle from "twisting off."
That is reason no. 1 to use boots.

Alex
June 8th, 2010, 01:08 PM
No boot or any footware for that matter will keep your ankle from "twisting off." None I'm aware of. I've never seen any company advertising their protection for twisting forces... :idunno:

That is pretty much what Sidi (in their Vertigo & Vortice lines), Daytona, and other highend race boots focus on. There is a skeleton like form inside the boot that allows a certain amount of twist and then no more. Nothing's foolproof, and any accident can cause injury depending on the specifics, but there are boots designed to help exactly what you describe.

The sneaker-like boots we're discussing have nothing close to that level of protection, and I'd even be worried that they get ripped off if they catch on something the wrong way while sliding along.

mrlmd
June 8th, 2010, 02:23 PM
I'm ATGATT unless I'm only going 2-3 blocks away - in the community where I live that seems to be perfectly safe, going 15 mph. Otherwise I don't leave the house without everything on. Mesh armored pants work well in the summertime.
Jeff - does your evaporative vest really work to keep you cool, even if you're in a little bit of traffic?
I wanted to ask someone before I ordered one online, and I guess you could just wet down your T shirt under the mesh jacket but it probably wouldn't last as long.

FrugalNinja250
June 8th, 2010, 03:34 PM

I always wear a jacket with CE armor in elbows, shoulders, back. Armored boots by Teknic, padded/armored gloves, and a full-face helmet. In cooler weather I wear CE armored Teknic pants over my daily wear, if it's above 80°F or so I wear just jeans.

Above with armored pants. Of course, "spirited" is a really vague definition. :)

My first response. On long trips in really hot weather I'll wear the armored pants over shorts, but short trips < 30 miles or so I wear jeans. Everything else I wear no matter what. If it's raining I wear rain gear in addition to the above.

Xoulrath
June 8th, 2010, 04:18 PM
Of course, "spirited" is a really vague definition. :)
Faster than the posted speed limit on twisty roads, but well within a safe zone, and leaned over at lean angles that, while perfectly safe, would scare the non-riding populace. :D

CRXTrek
June 8th, 2010, 04:39 PM
Faster than the posted speed limit on twisty roads, but well within a safe zone, and leaned over at lean angles that, while perfectly safe, would scare the non-riding populace. :D

:o That's the only way i ride !

JeffM
June 8th, 2010, 07:08 PM
Jeff - does your evaporative vest really work to keep you cool, even if you're in a little bit of traffic?
I wanted to ask someone before I ordered one online, and I guess you could just wet down your T shirt under the mesh jacket but it probably wouldn't last as long.

I wear it for my short 5 mile commute and it keeps my quite cool while moving. Cooler in stop and go than with out it. The evaporative properties last long enough to keep me cooler when the temps. are over 100. Of course, here in Utah, the air is really dry so it works better than in a humid climate. If i were to go on a longer distance ride, I'd rig a drinking bottle full of water that I could re-supply the water to the vest.

I have done the wet tee shirt thing and the vest works much better. I also wear a wet Under Armor skull cap under my helmet. David Hough of Proficient Motorcycling fame states that a wet wrap around your neck (http://www.webbikeworld.com/r3/cooling-neck-wraps/)works well too by cooling the blood vessels that lead in and out of your brain.

Another strategy I have yet to try is to wear gear with the insulated liners in place and close your helmet vents. The theory is that when the air temperature is over body temperature, if you are not insulated, you will absorb heat. Sounds backwards but David Hough swears by it.

Of course if you want to spend a little money try the Veskimo (http://www.veskimo.com/servlet/StoreFront) active cooling system

So you can be ATGATT even in the heat. Apologies for the hijack.

Perf_White_Gt
June 8th, 2010, 07:29 PM
as far as hydration goes... I guess i will just use what i use on my road bike

http://motocentral.net.au/images/Camelbak-%20hydrobak.jpg

Shano22
June 8th, 2010, 07:41 PM
I always wear my joe rocket kawasaki textile jacket, HJC helmet, carbon fiber gloves, jeans, and my trusty 8 inch timberland Pro series steel toe boots that i ride dirt bike in also. Im looking to invest in a pair of draggin' jeans though or something similar.

Talonne
June 8th, 2010, 08:37 PM
ATGATT. Unfortunately though, I do not have a "proper" pair of riding boots. I'm wearing the boots I have because I need the little bit of platform at the front for height. They are not ideal, but at least the leather is thick enough that I don't have to worry about abrasion.

http://di1.shopping.com/images1/pi/5a/3c/75/89901521-250x250-0-0_Frye+Frye+Campus+14L+for+Women.jpg

FrugalNinja250
June 9th, 2010, 03:40 PM
ATGATT - Lid, jacket, gloves, armored motorcycle specific pants, motorcycle specific boots. For me that also includes earplugs. The whole sha-bang. When the temps get above 90 I throw on an evaporative vest under my jacket.

I use my cool vest whenever I'm on long rides over 100 degrees. It soaks up a sink-full of water and under my mesh keeps me relatively comfortable for 30-40 minutes at a time. I'm working on a rehydration system for it so that I can ride for a couple of hours at a time. :)

Kitdog
June 9th, 2010, 06:39 PM
It depends for me, If I'm commuting I will wear all I got, Icon level 2 mesh jacket, helmet, gloves. If I'm going to the clubs or going to watch the cruse on Sunday nights I will sport just a shirt and helmet (its a total of 2 mile trip at a top speed of 18 mph lol) other than that its atgatt

smcbride11
June 9th, 2010, 08:12 PM
I commute to work daily in business pants and leather shoes.

How do you keep the shifter from messing up your left shoe? I do commute to work in the pants I'm wearing that day, but I've got a pair of A* Ridge boots that I put on and toss the shoes in my tail bag. Then I just change my shoes in the parking lot or at my desk.

To the OP:

For my commute - jacket, helmet, boots, gloves. Just the work pants for the day - khakis, wool dress pants, jeans, depends on the day.

For other riding - all the above plus a pair of textile riding pants.

Snake
June 9th, 2010, 08:28 PM
My gear is very comfortable but even if it wasn't I would still choose ATGATT over comfort any day.

adri99an
June 9th, 2010, 08:39 PM
I applaud many of you for going ATGATT...some days I just want comfort and will only wear my helmet, jeans, my boots, and icon vest....other days I want it ALL: the icon vest, mesh jacket with pads, the icon shin guards, the lid, the boots, the gloves....I hate when I let the weather dictate what gear I'm wearing (it's a bad habit) If I'm going into the canyon for a day of twisties-ATGATT!!! If I'm going down the street- no freeways.....very little gear...more for comfort.....

izmail1215
June 10th, 2010, 04:59 AM
when i go to the gym i just ware shorts but still jacket helmet and gloves

Rayme
June 10th, 2010, 09:16 AM
When I ride around town I might go with gloves/shoes and helmet only, can't be worst than those cyclist on the road right? I call it calculated risk.. If I go on the highway, I'll never be on t-shirt ever.

littledog
June 10th, 2010, 11:06 AM
I don't really think "ATGATT or comfort" is the right question, at least as far as summer heat goes. Here in Alabama we do have some summer heat ;)

Going 50mph down a shady county road wearing mesh jacket and pants with summer ventilated gloves feels about the same as it does in shirt sleeves and jeans. :cool:

Likewise, heavy stop and go traffic in the heat of summer on a motorcycle, wearing either mesh or shirt sleeves, feels like this: :flame:

So I think the comfort question is this: IF you insist on wearing gear, do you wear mesh or leather?

I have to admit helmets are not so nice to wear when it is hot. Law says you have to wear one here, and they seem to me to be the single most important piece of gear too.

So wearing a helmet or not, is not the question in this state. The question here is: Full face or something less?

Shoes... well there are 4 motorcycle stores in the local area, one of them has pretty much every type of gear. Except for shoes. I asked why and the sales lady said "nobody wears motorcycle shoes." Based on observation, she is pretty much right. Tennis shoes or work type boots are the usual choices.

So I think the shoe question is this: do you wear motorcycle specific shoes?

Me personally I own mesh gear which I wear and leather gear which stays in the closet till fall. I have a full face helmet. I just recently went from work boots to some Icon brand shoes.

I answer the survey "most of the gear most of the time" because my statement about mesh being equal to shirtsleeves comfort wise is based on my own experiments.