View Full Version : Rider down. Amherst new york

Buffalony
June 8th, 2010, 03:07 PM
I just watched a rider go down right in front of me.
I was in a cage sitting at an intersection waiting to turn left. Approaching the intersection from my left in the middle of his turning lane to go left, a guy on a harley just highsides outta nowhere.
after being in a split second shock I jumped outta the car and ran over. By the time I got over there he was standing trying to get the bike up (while it was in gear with the rear wheel spinning visciously) by grabbing the bike by it's bars. Just before the rear wheel touched I got my foot on the seat to prevent him from picking the bike up further. By this point I already knew he was in shock and worried about his bike.lol.so Instead of telling him to lay down or go the the curb, i spoke calmly and walked through getting the bike up together.I reached down and hit the kill switch, put down the stand then got in position to walk it up.when I got in position I noticed he caught on to what was goin on. He did well walking to the curb.
so now his bike is standing in traffic and gas is pouring out of the bottom of the tank all over the hot exhaust!
I got the five or six people who were now standing around it and myself away.... Then I realized it was standing in traffic in a very busy and packed intersection. I walked over to it, threw a leg and rolled her over to the sidewalk and told everyone to keep away.
there are alot of things I left out to this story.
the main reason I posted this here is because this rider who was maybe 40ish, only had on a half helmet,jeans boots, and a long sleeve t shirt. When I got over to him he had pretty bad road rash on his hands and forearms. He was going fast into an intersection and hit the oil patch that is usually just before every white line at busy intersections while he was being alittle heavy on the brakes because he was going to fast in the first place. He did a headplant then shoulders forearms hips and knees all with a harley on top.
nobody is to cool for proper safety gear. Wear it people.
this guy was very lucky he didn't get his chin or nose rubbed off.
ride safe friends
1up2dwn

gogoKawi
June 8th, 2010, 10:42 PM
I'm glad he was alright. You did the right thing by trying to calm him down. Shock really makes people do crazy things.

JeffM
June 10th, 2010, 08:33 PM
Joe, :goodjobsign: handling the situation.

SayWat?
June 10th, 2010, 09:11 PM
i jus love it when we helped each other out, great job :thumbup:
and yes, wear your gear, cuz you'll never know when an idiot will run into you.