View Full Version : HMF Slip On Exhaust

adri99an
June 11th, 2010, 08:10 PM
kXXPWpKuB08

bob706
June 11th, 2010, 09:01 PM
Sounds and looks good. Does that can require a rejet?

adri99an
June 11th, 2010, 09:27 PM
had to shim 2 of the needles is all...not a full rejet....it was running lean before shimming the needles.....

gogoKawi
June 12th, 2010, 12:28 AM
How did you like the install? For me, it was a PITA! It took almost 4 hours. Had to go through about 10 attempts at twisting and heat it with a torch to get the sucker on.

adri99an
June 12th, 2010, 07:44 AM
The install took about 35 minutes for me and my buddy. Getting that sucker on was TOUGH---we twisted and twisted and turned and turned....took a 2 minute break switched it up....we then realized shoot this is hard...so we opened up the diameter a bit and lubed it with WD 40--then twisted and twisted....dude I can bench 220 but this was a workout and a half---I can say we didn't get it entirely flush- but it was flush enough...we needed about 1/2 and inch more of twisting.

How do you like yours? How do you like the sound?

Snake
June 12th, 2010, 03:16 PM
Sounds and looks good. Does that can require a rejet?

+1 What he said. :thumbup:

adri99an
June 12th, 2010, 06:08 PM
No rejet- shimmed both needles---2 washers for each needle. Runs great now---lots of pep from the low, mid to high end of the powerband.

Broc
June 13th, 2010, 09:14 AM
Get the quiet core baffle from HMF. It greatly improves low-mid range power and it also makes the exhaust sound much much better. Stock the HMF is really loud and annoying, at least to me. With the baffle installed the exhaust sounds alot like the area p quiet core crossed with a buell. I HATE loud fart can exhaust which most ALL 250r exhaust are but the HMF with the quiet core sounds awesome.

I used (2) 3mm shims under my needles aswell and removed the snorkel.
Alot more power and the baffle increased this in the low-mid range.

I have a friend with a full Yoshi and jet kit on his 250r. I see no difference in power, even after 10k rpm. He's not happy that I paid $180 and him $600+.

adri99an
June 13th, 2010, 01:55 PM
I want to hear how yours sounds---is it possible to get a vid of it? I guess I'm not annoyed just yet of the sound...I'm sure one day I will be---as for now I like that people can hear me--i've had too many run ins with people not hearing the stock exhaust---that is dangerous......

You have to shim the needles or else it will run lean---shimming the needles did wonders for the bike...people don't know what theyre missing....I was up in the canyon today and felt the powerband all the way through 1k rpm to 10k rpm....

alex.s
June 13th, 2010, 05:53 PM
http://i50.tinypic.com/1076mxj.gif

<Keanu Reaves> Woah

adri99an
June 13th, 2010, 08:02 PM
Nice vid ALEX.....does that mean you like it?

Here's a vid of my buddy going around a corner.....love the sound

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SX3x0zKxY2M

gogoKawi
June 13th, 2010, 10:55 PM
The install took about 35 minutes for me and my buddy. Getting that sucker on was TOUGH---we twisted and twisted and turned and turned....took a 2 minute break switched it up....we then realized shoot this is hard...so we opened up the diameter a bit and lubed it with WD 40--then twisted and twisted....dude I can bench 220 but this was a workout and a half---I can say we didn't get it entirely flush- but it was flush enough...we needed about 1/2 and inch more of twisting.

How do you like yours? How do you like the sound?

You are SOOOOOOO lucky. I installed the exhause all by my lonesome. I stretched out the connector as well. I just didn't want to stretch it too far so it could fit firmly. It was still a PITA to put on. But once it was on, I was happy. For the first couple of days, I thought it was too loud. I lived in a real quiet neighborhood at the time and felt real bad when coming in at a late hour. But after having a soccer mom with kids in the car change her mind about getting over when I was riding beside her on the highway, I knew I made the right chioce. It does sound great though. That deep rumble just makes me smile. I will probably still get the quiet core. $25 is definitely worth it.

adri99an
June 14th, 2010, 08:10 AM
Some people call it noise pollution- I call it a life saver....

Being heard is what every motorcyclist needs. I was almost run off the road too just the other day and NOW people see me becuase I could see them looking in their mirrors and when I get right up close to them---a little more rev so they know to ALWAYS look before lane changing.....I live in a queit neighborhood now but I don't mind because I either leave around 9-10 am and am back before 6pm......I want to hear the exhaust with he quiet core.

Broc
June 15th, 2010, 05:39 PM
haha sorry man! I'm trying! My friend borrowed my camera and is suppose to have it back to me tomorrow night. I'm putting pressure on him!

Broc
June 17th, 2010, 03:54 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GknSZ55FtJc
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GknSZ55FtJc

Here ya go. Didn't get my camera back yet but I borrowed one so you can hear it.

I tried to get a shot of it installed. HMF says you must use the spark arrestor to install. HMF says all exhaust (even motorcycle) come with one but mine didn't and the spark arrestor is an additional $20.00. No thanks I'm not worried about catching the streets on fire! I made a quick mounting plate that uses the (4) allen head screws that the tip uses to mount.

The baffle gives you alot of the low-mid range back....it feels like it matches the upper rpm more. Smooth powerband instead of having to rap it out into the higher rpms. It really takes the edge off the noise, I'd say at least 5 db!

It really makes a different while cruising. You can just barely hear it cruising along 30-40 but when you punch it the thing wakes up and has a nice deep throaty sound. When decelerating I love to rpm match on downshifts, it sounds really good there! Almost AMA buellish!

The HMF is pure **** stock, I think it sounds like a Civic with a fart can! I was going to sell it until I tried the baffle. I love the exhaust now and am definitely keeping it! PLUS, when you go to sell the bike you just unbolt it and sell it separately. The bike runs good with just the (2) shims and stock exhaust, so I'll never need to tear my carbs apart to remove a jet kit. Try that with a full exhaust and jet kit!

adri99an
June 17th, 2010, 05:45 PM
I could hear the difference--wow!!! Thanks for the video.....how much is the quiet core again?

Broc
June 17th, 2010, 05:55 PM
I told ya, It takes the edge off! I rev'd it to about 7-8k in the video, it's kinda hard to tell. What I love most is I can hear the induction noise of the engine(snorkel off sounds WAY better) and the engine itself start to scream with a mix of the exhaust. I hate not being able to hear a sport bike engine, nothing better than 10K+ scream!

It is between $23-30.00 shipped online alot of places. The quiet core fits EVERY single muffler HMF makes including dirt bike/atv mufflers. So ANY HMF quiet core should work! That being said I was able to go down to my local ATV store and purchase one off the shelf for $18.99 after tax :D HMF is very popular so most aftermarket performance shops carry them, the quiet core, & a selection of tips!

They are all over ebay. I can even get pictures up of the plate I made to mount it. The baffle does not stay secured without the spark arrestor but it is an additional $20.00 so I made the mount out of what came on the exhaust tip!

adri99an
June 17th, 2010, 06:50 PM
I might have to go that route later when I get tired of the sound now. My neighbors certainly know I'm coming but the Harley down the street is twice as loud. How did you make the spark arrestor?

Bxninja47
July 17th, 2010, 07:20 PM
vtPzZcOhsXY

Cazper
July 17th, 2010, 10:21 PM
...He's not happy that I paid $180 and him $600+...
Where did you purchase yours for $180? I just tried to look around a little and it was definitely more than that... just curious.

adri99an
July 18th, 2010, 09:13 AM
vtPzZcOhsXY

Looks good and sounds good....nice mods man!

Bxninja47
July 18th, 2010, 10:27 AM
ahh thanks man

gogoKawi
July 23rd, 2010, 11:10 AM
Just installed the quiet core with spark arrestor. After a spirited ride through some local twisties, I have to say that the db level is definitely lower. Not to mention that the throttle response seems to be smoother. Also, the pops that come from releasing the throttle at high speeds have lessened. I'm not sure if they are masked by the quiet core or if they really have decreased. I was not expecting that! I have to say that I am liking the quiet core a lot. Though the sound doesn't have as much bass, it's still easily heard on the road, which is what I want.

adri99an
July 23rd, 2010, 12:30 PM
I've been thinking about doing that as well but I seem to like the popping sound and the deep annoying bass. I could see where the repsonse would be smoother. Did you shim the needles?

Broc
July 23rd, 2010, 01:54 PM
Sorry I didn't even think this thread was still alive.. I got mine for $180 because my friend bought this exhaust new, hated it, and voila....brand new exhaust for $180.

& yes.....GET THE QUIET CORE ALREADY!!!! :D Thats +2 votes for it, you won't be disappointed. Do not buy the spark arrestor, it is way too easy to make a mount for pennies then to waste $40-50 on the entire quiet core setup....Unless your HMF came with a spark arrestor, then its plug-n-play.

gogoKawi
July 23rd, 2010, 04:05 PM
I shimmed the needles (2 washers) when I first put the exhaust on last year. The bike ran great. I didn't do the kleen air mod. The popping didn't bother me that much.

I agree with Broc about the spark arrestor. You can easily make it with a trip to Home Depot or a kitchen strainer.

gogoKawi
July 28th, 2010, 09:31 PM
OK... So I have changed my mind about the quiet core. I am not digging it at high rpms. The sound is very "tinny". Not to mention the vibration is just ridiculous. My whole body had that feeling like I just got up from a massaging chair; you feel numb but it still feels like you are vibrating while off of the bike. I've never felt like that before riding the 250.

The quiet core is great when cruising. It's fairly quiet. But winding out the engine is even louder with the quiet core, IMHO. If it weren't for the vibration, I would probably keep it in. But, I can't deal with it going at highway speeds or high revs.

adri99an
July 29th, 2010, 12:11 PM
Well- as you know I love it without the quiet core....I guess there are pros and cons of having it vs not having it on....

Take it out and see if you change your mind?

Alex
July 29th, 2010, 03:38 PM
I shoulder press 245 standing for reps. So this should be easy for me eh?

/makes mental note to stay on Mike's good side. :p

adri99an
July 29th, 2010, 09:57 PM
I shoulder press 245 standing for reps. So this should be easy for me eh?

You just need one hand then if that's what you shoulder press!!! :D

kevinlo423
April 19th, 2011, 10:31 PM
i'm bringing this post back to life. after installing the HMF exhaust, did you experience any backfire/popping?

Bxninja47
April 19th, 2011, 10:33 PM
actually yeah i did. especially when starting the bike . .
but once i rejet the carbs. everything was good. .
i miss that ninja lol

kevinlo423
April 19th, 2011, 11:36 PM
did you have to remove the kleen air filter?

gogoKawi
April 20th, 2011, 01:14 AM
It used to backfire on startup even with the stock exhaust. How much does it pop? Mine pops occasionally when I come off the throttle after winding it out. Honestly, it's barely noticeable anymore.

Bxninja47
April 20th, 2011, 07:41 AM
no i didn't. i actually just removed the stock filter. .gently washed it in soap and water and let it air dry then lubed it back up. .
and it was fine

kevinlo423
April 20th, 2011, 10:52 AM
thanks guys :D