View Full Version : Grand Canyon area ideas?

Seattle_Chris
June 13th, 2010, 11:43 PM
Heya folks,

I'm taking a two week vacation and riding the Ninjette from Seattle to the Grand Canyon and back, and was wondering if any of the locals down their could give me advice on what to be sure to see while I was down their.

I really like seeing nature in ways I've never seen it. And I've lived my whole life in the greater Seattle area, with Mountains, rivers, the Sound (think enormous bay), the Ocean, etc. etc, so I'm looking to see it in totally different ways.

Also I've never really spend any time in the HEAT. If we get 10 straight day in the summer over 85 degree's we declare it a drought and a heat wave. Serious. So anything you can think of that I SHOULD know, but probably DON'T know would be greatly appreciated. :D

P.S. My trip is going to take me from Seattle, to Craters of the Moon park in Idaho, to the Mormon Temple in Salt Lake City, to the Grand Canyon, to Vegas, through Death Valley, and back to home. So any ideas on what to see/do on the way would also be appreciated. :D

want1sobad
June 14th, 2010, 05:35 AM
that will be an unbelievable trip - you will see some truly amazing sights. that being said, you're gonna get your first dose of what HOT really means. make sure you have a mesh jacket/pants that flow A LOT of air, and be sure to stop often to rehydrate. it is bone dry where you're going and cruising along in that heat with the wind, etc i going to dry you out fast. stop often, drink lots, and enjoy. look into getting a camelback hydration system if you want to cut down on the water stops. don't forget to post pics!

CC Cowboy
June 14th, 2010, 03:54 PM
Heya folks,

I'm taking a two week vacation and riding the Ninjette from Seattle to the Grand Canyon and back, and was wondering if any of the locals down their could give me advice on what to be sure to see while I was down their.

I really like seeing nature in ways I've never seen it. And I've lived my whole life in the greater Seattle area, with Mountains, rivers, the Sound (think enormous bay), the Ocean, etc. etc, so I'm looking to see it in totally different ways.

Also I've never really spend any time in the HEAT. If we get 10 straight day in the summer over 85 degree's we declare it a drought and a heat wave. Serious. So anything you can think of that I SHOULD know, but probably DON'T know would be greatly appreciated. :D

P.S. My trip is going to take me from Seattle, to Craters of the Moon park in Idaho, to the Mormon Temple in Salt Lake City, to the Grand Canyon, to Vegas, through Death Valley, and back to home. So any ideas on what to see/do on the way would also be appreciated. :D

As far as the Grand Canyon goes;

Try to see the stars at night and then catch the sunrise as the light moves down the canyon walls. Tie the bike up and hike down to the river.

As far as Vegas goes;

Eat, drink, and be merry (forget about the gambling).

ithaca00
June 15th, 2010, 02:37 AM
that will be an unbelievable trip - you will see some truly amazing sights. that being said, you're gonna get your first dose of what HOT really means. make sure you have a mesh jacket/pants that flow A LOT of air, and be sure to stop often to rehydrate. it is bone dry where you're going and cruising along in that heat with the wind, etc i going to dry you out fast. stop often, drink lots, and enjoy. look into getting a camelback hydration system if you want to cut down on the water stops. don't forget to post pics!

Ixnay the mesh gear. Riding in the temperatures likely in that area is all about keeping the wind OFF of you. With temps in the high 90's you want to close all vents. Staying hydrated is a must and a soaked shirt or cool vest/tie works really well.

Chris - There are plenty of great roads on the way there and on the way back. Did you want to stop by any of the National/State parks along the way? How long did you want to spend riding?

Seattle_Chris
June 15th, 2010, 04:03 AM
Well, I'm leaving on 7/1, maybe 7/2 if all goes well. I don't have to be back in Seattle until 7/17. And yeah, I wanna see lots of National/State parks. I'm picking up a National Park Pass. I've been hearing tons of positive reviews on Utah parks. So I'll have to check those out. And you're like the bazillionth person to mention the Cool-Vest. I'm for sure gonna look into those.

petiteninja
June 15th, 2010, 05:58 AM
i did a five day tour of death valley, the grand canyon and arizona during the same time period about ten years ago. i was in my truck without air conditioning and lost about 8 pounds just driving. i camped wherever i could and dipped into rivers as often as possible. if you have time and want to head further into arizona you should check out jerome...lot's of bikers and memorable vistas.