View Full Version : Extended warranty. Worth it?

Sailariel
January 8th, 2009, 10:48 AM
I have noticed that there are many on this forum who bought new 2008-2009 Ninjettes. How many have gotten the extended warranty? Are they worth the money? It seems to me that after riding the bike, any defects would have surfaced. I`m interested in your thoughts--for or against.

BlueTyke
January 8th, 2009, 10:53 AM
Well I didn't get an 08 or 09 but I did buy an 06 off the lot and got the extended warranty. I am glad I did due to Tyke breaking down and needing a good amount of the engine replaced. I know that if it wasn't under warranty I would be rather screwed.

HKr1
January 8th, 2009, 11:04 AM
Dont think there worth it :)

I dont mind working on electrical & mechanical things, so if something breaks down the road........ Iam all for fixing it myself.

TnNinjaGirl
January 8th, 2009, 11:15 AM
I got an extended warranty because if anything ever breaks I'm a certified mechanic and I get paid to fix it. Plus, insurance is just that.

Alex
January 8th, 2009, 11:28 AM
I get them on some of my bikes, and not others, depending on how long I plan to keep them and if I know of any potential gotchas out there. Right now I have extended warranties on all of our bikes. I've had great luck with Kawasaki extended warranties in the past; they covered thousands of dollars of work on my ZX-12R that would have been all out of pocket without the warranty. I've also heard that unlike some other manufacturers, once out of warranty Kawi is not particularly generous with picking up the tab for issues, even if they are from a clear bike defect and nothing the owner did. With only 12 months on the basic warranty, that's not enough time for everything to show up that might show up, IMO.

Sound Wave
January 8th, 2009, 02:19 PM
this is my first bike, so i didn't really know what to expect. i figured i would play it safe and get an additional 2 year extended warranty plus the tire/wheel warranty. i THINK these are refundable on a pro-rated basis, so i will just cancel them when i sell the bike.

Sailariel
January 8th, 2009, 04:37 PM
Really appreciate the feedback. Will go for another year, and take it from there.

NICUNinja
January 8th, 2009, 07:54 PM
I paid the extra and got the extended warranty. If my bike breaks down what are the chances that I have the parts on me that I'm going to require? Who knows, but better safe than sorry...besides I'm not a mechanic.

ninjabrewer
January 9th, 2009, 03:38 PM
I bought my bike from a friend who bought it new, the lady one of the local dealerships allowed me to get it while it was still in his name, otherwise I would not have been able to on a private sale. I got it because I have had bad luck with having a vehicle, still paying on it and a major repair on it.

NB

Alex
January 9th, 2009, 05:54 PM
the lady one of the local dealerships allowed me to get it while it was still in his name, otherwise I would not have been able to on a private sale.

This isn't accurate; anyone can get the Good Times extended warranty from Kawi as long as the bike is still under warranty. So that means a private sale within 12 months of when the bike is purchased is a-ok, or if you are still within the term of an existing Good Times extended warranty, a new owner can extend it past the initial term.

more info here --> http://www.kawasaki.com/products/GoodTimesProtectionPlan.aspx

and here --> http://www.kawasaki.com/HelpCenter/help_goodtimes.aspx

ninjabrewer
January 10th, 2009, 11:36 AM
That is what she told me or at least what I remember. I was still going to get it anyway. Personally, I don't believe the manufacturers warranties are long enough on any really big ticket item. I know that they need to keep selling to make a profit, but they could at least build them to outlast the warranty or the note. :rolleyes:

my .02

NB

grandmaster
January 10th, 2009, 01:46 PM
I also bought mine used, and the person before me had the extended 3 year. I just went to the Kawi dealer here in St. George and got it transfered into my name.

travis5018
January 11th, 2009, 08:47 PM
I didn't have the funds at the time, so I alloted not to. Plus when I bought the bike the plan was to sell it within the year to upgrade, but I like my bike enough I think I might keep it and pick up an extended warranty as my warranty expires....

SF-Dug
January 26th, 2009, 07:58 PM
I have a couple of questions.

1.) Is the warranty renewable? If I get for 1 year can I renew it the following year if I desire to do so?

2.) Do I have to take the bike to a dealership for simple things like oil/fluid changes? Or can it only be for stuff like valve and chain checks and still have it count?

3.) If I change my own oil and other fluids do I void the warranty on the extended warranty?

BlueTyke
January 26th, 2009, 08:09 PM
Warranty info from Kawasaki site: http://www.kawasaki.com/DefaultFrame.aspx?strContentURL=/Site/common/kawasaki_limited_warranty.htm

Good Times Protection Plan info: http://www.kawasaki.com//Products/GoodTimesProtectionPlan.aspx

xTKx
January 27th, 2009, 08:54 AM
If I get my bike, I'll probably go ahead and get the warranty.

kkim
January 27th, 2009, 12:05 PM
If you do, I'd suggest reading it completely and carefully before you purchase it and just not listen to the salesman about what it covers and under what circumstances. If you feel it's worth it for you at that point, then by all means proceed to purchase it. :)

xTKx
January 27th, 2009, 01:00 PM
For those interested:

EXCLUSIONS–ITEMS NOT COVERED
1. Failures which are not due to a defect in material or factory workmanship.
2. Rental product and product engaged in racing or competition.
3. Repair or replacement required as a result of (i) accident or collision (ii) misuse, abuse or neglect (iii) lack of reasonable and proper maintenance (iv) repairs improperly performed
or replacement parts improperly installed (v) use of replacement parts or accessories not conforming to Kawasaki specifi cations which adversely effect performance and/or
durability; (vi) alterations or modifications not recommended or approved in writing by Kawasaki (vii) wear and deterioration (including loss of engine compression) occasioned by
the use of the product.
4. Regular maintenance service, adjustments or replacement of expendable maintenance items as outlined in the Owner’s Manual, but not limited to: filters, spark plugs, brake
shoes/pads, impellers and intake grilles, mats and bumpers.
5. Damage resulting from use of non recommended lubricant and coolant or the lack thereof.
6. Belts, tires, cables, chains, sprockets, batteries, bulbs, audio equipment, accessories, cosmetic appearance, gel coat stress cracks, watercrafts hulls and handlepoles.
7. Damage as a result of sand, water, rust and/or rocks.
8. Damage as a result of excess load including occupants and/or cargo; tow loads in excess of maximum weights as specified in the Owner’s Manual
9. Deterioration from the elements

*Information on the GTPP (Good Times Protection Plan)*
I thought number 4 was particularly interesting. It looks like regular maintenance is not covered under the GTPP.

Alex
January 27th, 2009, 08:32 PM
Why do you find that interesting? Regular maintenance isn't covered under any typical vehicle warranties. If your brake pads wear out, the owner's on the hook to replace them. Same with any other wear item. But, if a wear item wears out extremely early, sometimes manufacturers will cover them even if they may not be forced to from the contract.

xTKx
January 28th, 2009, 03:48 PM
Why do you find that interesting? Regular maintenance isn't covered under any typical vehicle warranties. If your brake pads wear out, the owner's on the hook to replace them. Same with any other wear item. But, if a wear item wears out extremely early, sometimes manufacturers will cover them even if they may not be forced to from the contract.

Wow, I feel sheepish :o I mis-read some previous posts on this (and other) threads. I almost took some previous posts as "Does my GTPP cover my regular maintenance?" and not "Do I have to do it myself."

Hopefully this makes sense. Either way I still feel like a dummy.. :p:rolleyes:

EDIT: This is coming from a guy who knows practically nothing about motorcycles and their warranties. :)

Kurosaki
January 29th, 2009, 12:38 AM
I got one. I hindsight I should have waited until about now to decide if I wanted it or not but oh well. What's done is done. No point worrying about it now. Just enjoying the ride.

TnNinjaGirl
January 29th, 2009, 06:39 AM
I decided I didn't want my extended warranty and sold it back to Kawasaki yesterday. Should be getting close to a 100% refund. Just in case you decide it's not for you, there is an option out.

xTKx
January 29th, 2009, 10:20 AM
I decided I didn't want my extended warranty and sold it back to Kawasaki yesterday. Should be getting close to a 100% refund. Just in case you decide it's not for you, there is an option out.

AWESOME!! Thanks for the info! That's sure to help a lot of ninjette newbies like myself :D

Kurosaki
January 29th, 2009, 06:23 PM

How did you handle this process?

OldGuy
December 4th, 2009, 08:08 PM
:bump:

Anyone have in "new" input on this since it has been almost a year?

ztrack157
December 4th, 2009, 08:25 PM
Save your money. I had an extended warranty. Did me no good when my engine went out due to overheating fom a coolant line coming loose and a malfunctioning temp light. They blamed the engine going out on my jet kit say when it was installed something got into the motor. Magically my bike was fine for 1990 miles with the jet kit so I call bs. If you have a completely stock bike and plan on changing nothing on it then maybe its a good idea but in the end it just depends on how kawi feels on the day you need something fixed.

Snake
December 4th, 2009, 09:25 PM
When I bought my bike new in April of 2005 I bought the 4 year extended waranty and have been lucky not to have needed it. The bike has not had any major problems. Having that good of an experience with this bike would I buy an extended waranty on my next bike purchase? I would say yes because an extended waranty is like an insurance policy - if something goes wrong you are covered.

austexjg
May 5th, 2010, 11:50 AM
My bike is about to turn 1 and I am still struggling over the decision to buy the GTPP - I do have the CDI issue - has anyone else used the extended warranty? I am having trouble getting the CDI issue resolved, so how does Kawasaki determine if a problem is covered? How quick are they to dismiss the claim for some petty reason?

Luxodave
May 5th, 2010, 04:12 PM
I just bought a Ninja 250 last week and did not get the GTPP.

What is the CDI issue? Is this something that should make me rethink my decision?

ztrack157
May 5th, 2010, 04:17 PM
No. If you have an issue it will pop up prior to your 1 year warranty that came with the bike.

BlueRaven
May 5th, 2010, 05:58 PM
The CDI issue should be a recall in my opinion. Until they realize that there is a problem there's not much we can do besides change it with a pregen CDI.

addy126
May 5th, 2010, 08:07 PM
My standard 1 yr warranty was running out in Dec. last year, re-upped with the GTPP 2 yr extended for the difference of a few dollars. Just in case and ya never know.

g21-30
May 6th, 2010, 05:18 PM
I bought the optional 4 year Good Times warranty for a total of 5 years of coverage. Of course, I retrofitted an '88-94 CDI, which cost less than missing a few hours of work to get the bike to the dealer and have nothing found! If (big if) I sell the bike, the warranty is fully transferable.

I had an engine replaced in my '99 Jeep Wrangler at 85K. Cost me $25 for shop supplies under the extended warranty.

Gfortunes
May 6th, 2010, 05:31 PM
here the extended waranty ends up costing about $10 dollars a month which is worth the peice of mind for me I bought a 2010 and only have 530 miles on it so far getting ready to do my first oil change and I am still glad I bought the extra 48 months for $462 and like has been stated it is tranferable and that can be a huge selling point on a used bike sale.

petiteninja
May 6th, 2010, 07:29 PM
i extended my warranty for four years. under the warranty they state that they will not repair or replace anything "as a result of alterations or modifications not recommended or approved in writing by Kawasaki". subsequently, i intend to have all my performance mod's done by my certified kawasaki dealer so that they have it on record just in case anything goes wrong.

the whole CDI issue spooks me out. so does my gas gauge not working (there was only 270 miles on the odometer at the time).

g21-30
May 7th, 2010, 05:06 AM
FYI...you can get the 4 yr extended warranty from Ebay for $350! I told my dealer that and he matched it! Originally, he was talking a lot more than that.

deezyellownutz
May 7th, 2010, 09:12 AM
I bought mine and it came with a 4 year warranty for $3,200 out the door. 2009 SE = )

ScorpionNinja
May 8th, 2010, 03:23 AM
I got an extended warranty because if anything ever breaks I'm a certified mechanic and I get paid to fix it. Plus, insurance is just that.

NICE! :thumbup:

I hope to join the ranks of you within this next year!!! :D

UTI in AZ. is what im thinking. You Reccomend a top school like that, rather than a "online class/degree"?

-OP, yea i got the extended warranty, but its NOT the GTPP one. I got duped with the Dealerships warranty. I didnt notice till past the 60 day mark. Now i cant cancel it to get my money back.

JokerSeven
May 8th, 2010, 06:42 AM
I bought the Kawasaki extended warranty too. Peace of mind on a new design model ment alot to me.

austexjg
May 20th, 2010, 08:29 AM
My bike's one year warranty is about to expire -
Questions:
1. Should I get the extended warranty on my '09?
2. How does a repaired fairing affect the warranty - does a fall over void it?
3. Can the warranty be refunded in the future - bike wrecked?

I'm concered that the fall over will make getting warranty issues resolved a pain.

Sorry - this should have been posted in the General Discussion area.

tjkamper
May 20th, 2010, 10:29 AM
:welcome:

I say it's best to learn to do your own work and then there is no need for the waranty.

Alex
May 20th, 2010, 02:54 PM
/moved to General. What is a 200+ poster starting a post in the new members section for? :)

Alex
May 20th, 2010, 02:57 PM
related thread:

http://www.ninjette.org/forums/showthread.php?t=11616

FrugalNinja250
May 20th, 2010, 03:16 PM
That's how they make their money. It's essentially repair insurance. Do you feel that peace of mind is worth the money spent? If well maintained these bikes are extremely reliable; Kawasaki makes a good product.

austexjg
May 20th, 2010, 04:06 PM
/moved to General. What is a 200+ poster starting a post in the new members section for? :)

I just was not paying attention... I think the heat is already getting to me.

sherjay
June 19th, 2010, 02:19 PM
I just got a letter for my ownership of 2010 ninja 250 and it came with an application for Good Times Protection Plan (GTTP). 1 yr is $286, 2 yrs $330, 3 yrs $418 and 4 yrs $528. Its really tempting. Good idea if I wanna sell my bike, but I don't think I will. I don't have an idea on how these machines are. I read the exclusion list and it seems that I cant modify my bike in anyway. Is it worth it?

kkim
June 19th, 2010, 02:41 PM
are you capable of working on your bike yourself?

Alex
June 19th, 2010, 04:06 PM
related links:

http://www.ninjette.org/forums/showthread.php?t=11616
http://www.ninjette.org/forums/showthread.php?t=45262

vietboiz12345
June 19th, 2010, 09:16 PM
Its not unless u dont feel like searching around for cheap places to fix ur bike. i think if u keep up with all the maintinace schdules u should be fine. i canceled my extended warrenty because i could afford it. keep it if u have extra cash.
Posted via Mobile Device

bob706
June 19th, 2010, 09:23 PM
"Extended warranty. Worth it?" - For you No, for the dealer Yes

vietboiz12345
June 19th, 2010, 10:48 PM
"Extended warranty. Worth it?" - For you No, for the dealer Yes

wow. great way to put it man. sooo true.

whiteboy
May 9th, 2011, 05:44 PM
dam to bad i already got myn through the dealer the way it was figured the whole 6 years il be paying on the bike it will be fully covered. but after reading from u guys i regret getting it /sad panda face

bluesinorbit
May 10th, 2011, 10:07 AM
dam to bad i already got myn through the dealer the way it was figured the whole 6 years il be paying on the bike it will be fully covered. but after reading from u guys i regret getting it /sad panda face

I'm pretty sure you can cancel it and only end up paying for the time that you had the warranty. I'm going to look into this.

peng155
May 11th, 2012, 05:52 PM
Hi Folks..

It's been a long winter hibernation for me... but weather is heating up here in Seattle this week-end... and it's gonna be great cycle weather...

Now on to my question.. I got a piece of mail from Kawasaki today, and my manufacture 1 year warranty will expire this June, and I'm wondering if I should extend the warranty...

Here is what it'll cost to extend the manufacture warranty... 1yr - $337.00, 2yr - $397.00, 3yr - $462.00, 4yr - $626.00

The bike only has 600 miles on it as of now.... normally I'll usually pass on any type of extended warranty since the normal thought is that for the consumer it's a waste of money...

I'm leaning towards not extending... but I want to hear what you guy's thought..

Thanks, and have a great week-end

Alex
May 11th, 2012, 06:05 PM
/merged a couple "warranty" threads together. :thumbup:

NJ Ninjette
May 11th, 2012, 06:36 PM
I never take any kind of extended warranty either. Dealers make big money on them, that's why they push so hard trying to get you to take them. Especially, after you really haggle them down on the price of the vehicle.

eSpawNa
February 13th, 2013, 06:03 PM
I got suckered into buying an extended warranty at the dealership because it was pre-owned. The bike only has 2200 miles on it and I've ridden it a good bit around town and on the interstate. I'm still a noobie when it comes to bikes so I figured that getting the warranty would help but in order for anything to be covered I have to provide proof I kept up with the manufactures' recommended maintenance. So should I cancel it or keep it?

Alex
February 13th, 2013, 06:18 PM
/merged

Jiggles
February 13th, 2013, 06:33 PM
I got suckered into buying an extended warranty at the dealership because it was pre-owned. The bike only has 2200 miles on it and I've ridden it a good bit around town and on the interstate. I'm still a noobie when it comes to bikes so I figured that getting the warranty would help but in order for anything to be covered I have to provide proof I kept up with the manufactures' recommended maintenance. So should I cancel it or keep it?

For a 250 I wouldn't keep it, but it really depends on what it covers, for how long, and how much you paid.

Provided that the warranties are not overpriced, I always get them on larger new bikes. With EFI and more complicated engines there is more that can go wrong and when it does it is costly. On the ninja 250 though, a lot of stuff that can go wrong is not that difficult or as expensive to fix.

SMman
February 14th, 2013, 05:28 AM
Cancel. Extended warranties are generally not worth it. I worked in the automotive industry and all the extras like extended warranties is where the money was made. Manufaturers can be picky about what they cover. You will need to prove that you do all the maintenance by the book and that the previous owner did the same. You will need maintenance records to back it up. Honestly, I've been riding bikes non-stop since 1999 and haven't had one single issue with any of my bikes, just normal maintenance.

lgk
February 14th, 2013, 06:21 AM
cancel and get a refund.

then farkle.