View Full Version : Ninja Dropping Experiences

Goosey
June 23rd, 2010, 02:08 PM
Hello All. This is my first post on these forums so I thought I would share some riding experiences I had with dropping my bike. I hope someone finds these entertaining even if they aren't all that cautionary. ;)

A little background - This is my first Motorcycle, a third-hand 2009 Ninja 250r. Beautiful Blue. Lovely little sexy thing. The original owner(s) had not abused it, but it was repo'ed (so no OEM tools/manual) and had a stupid mod done to it (DIY fender-elimination via hacksaw).

But mechanically it's sound. Tires are on their way out (previous owners apparently only rode in straight lines), but not dangerous (BT45 replacements in the mail) and the oil was initially overfilled.. so for now it has a slight burp on the low-RPM range (below maybe 3k) until I get the chance to replace the filter in the airbox, which doubtlessly got a little clogged with oil. But it had never been dropped or stunted as far as I could tell.

My first drop was about 3 weeks ago. It happened as I was practicing getting used to just being on the bike, circling my apartment complex parking lot at maybe 10mph. This was before I took the MSF beginner course or had my license; I thought I was doing myself a favor by taking it very slow and getting some 'safe' experience.

As I came around the bend, which is a very slight-grade slope, a truck pulls in and I don't react properly (AT ALL..). I pull the front break too sharply and fall over at nearly a dead drop. Note that I had my full gear on (helmet + riding jacket + gloves + kevlar jeans + boots) so I didn't get scraped at all, but it was about 90F out and I was not at speed so I was already overheating. I instinctively shot my right arm out to brace for the impact and took the full force of around 450lbs coming down into my elbow.

The combination of the shock, heat, and pain in my arm made me lightheaded (nearly passed out). It must have been confusing for the truck driver (who did stop to help me; thankfully I talked him out of calling 911) to see someone wobblyingly come around a corner, stop, and fall over laying there under the bike. Haha.

My second drop was last Sunday. I had about a week of no-traffic night riding under my belt following completing the MSF course and getting my license, so I decided to take it out for an afternoon of my first daytime riding experience. It was a FANTASTIC day of riding. Never had I been so sure that motorcycling is indeed for me than when I was easily finding the lines through some twists at 65mph with a clear view down a hillside to Lake Travis's sparkling waters down below.

Toward the very end of the ride I was on a slower road when the car ahead of me (I had about a 2 second following distance) suddenly braked hard to catch his missed right turn. I mishandled the quick stop and my rear tire started to skid. In hindsight I could have been perfectly safe; ease off the rear to regain traction and I wouldn't even have to stop as the car was out of the way now. However my newbie instincts took over and I grabbed the front brake hard (noticing a pattern?) and the bike fishtailed and tossed me sliding across the pavement.

Thankfully I suffered no damage aside from a stubbed toe and a tiny patch of road rash on my waist where some street made it's way between my jacket and jeans. Thankfully the car behind me was paying enough attention to not hit me or my Ninja. Thankfully my Ninja stayed in my lane and suffered only cosmetic scratches (on the same side the previous scratches were, nonetheless) and a sheared-off front right turn signal.

I hopped up immediately, grabbed the bike and jogged it off into a parking lot.

My adrenaline was pumping pretty hard at this point so I ducked into a frozen yogurt shop right there to chill out.. Where I ran into the most gorgeous cashier I have ever seen. Simply stunning. She explained to me how the shop worked and I had to have her repeat it twice due to me being so out of it. I got my yogurt and as I was paying explained to her that I had just been in a 'life threatening situation' and it had changed my perspective on the world. This is how I got her number.

I love my Ninja.

Alex
June 23rd, 2010, 02:14 PM
Where I ran into the most gorgeous cashier I have ever seen. Simply stunning. ....snip......This is how I got her number.

:worthlesswithoutpic

And no, not of the damaged bike. ;)

Goosey
June 23rd, 2010, 02:22 PM
http://i.imgur.com/QzbZB.jpg

Stolen from her facebook. Hair currently is dyed black and cut a bit shorter.

Alex
June 23rd, 2010, 02:36 PM
Holy crap.

This icon ----> :worthlesswithoutpic

never works! This has been a good day. ;)

Oh, and good on you for the full gear, and glad the the damage to bike and body was minor. :thumbup:

BlueRaven
June 23rd, 2010, 05:56 PM
what a twist to that last drop ..lol

good for you that your day ended well

zilaniz
June 23rd, 2010, 06:42 PM
I mishandled the quick stop and my rear tire started to skid. In hindsight I could have been perfectly safe; ease off the rear to regain traction and I wouldn't even have to stop as the car was out of the way now.

if you lock up your rear tire you should always keep on the rear break and ride it out until your stopped, i guess if your going dead straight it doesn't matter but if your turning at all and you unlock the tire and it grabs traction you got a good chance at high siding.

Goosey
June 24th, 2010, 09:37 AM
if you lock up your rear tire you should always keep on the rear break and ride it out until your stopped, i guess if your going dead straight it doesn't matter but if your turning at all and you unlock the tire and it grabs traction you got a good chance at high siding.

Ah, your completely right now that I think about it.. This is exactly what they taught in the MSF. I think I am applying too much 'car dynamics' to the way I am riding right now (IE: skid == pump the breaks).

Thanks for pointing that out

Alex
June 24th, 2010, 10:25 AM
MSF has valid reasons for providing that guidance on the rear brake, but in some cases it's just not possible to hang on and hold out until the bike is at a complete stop. It's almost a 2 part situation:

- If you are trying to bring the bike to a complete stop, and unintentionally lock the rear, it can be easier to keep the bike under control by staying on that rear brake rather than letting off while the bike is off-center, which could cause a sudden loss of stability.
- But if you're just trying to slow the bike, and unintentionally lock the rear, it's not always possible to just wait until the bike is fully stopped. If you're on the highway for example, or any other roadway where coming to a complete stop now puts you at risk for getting hit by following traffic. In those cases it becomes quite necessary to find away to continue without coming to a complete stop, and the trick is that when letting off pressure on the rear brake so the wheel starts turning again, make darned sure that the bike is still pointing as forward as possible, and isn't slewed to the side.

We've got a number of rear-brake focused threads with a variety of opinions, experiences, and advice here already in the Riding Skills section, just check the Sticky up top.

eddiekay
June 27th, 2010, 12:21 PM
Josh.....foreget about dropping the bike....you're one smooth operator...."changed my perspective on the world".....I love it. Life gave you lemons and you made lemonade.

Samer
July 1st, 2010, 05:51 PM
Actually, this mimics a study that I learned about in psychology. There is an area somewhere with two walking bridges. One is very large, low and stable, the other bridge is high, narrow and more frightening. In the study, a woman asks men who just walked across each bridge a series of questions and then provides them with her personal phone number. The men who had just crossed the seemingly more dangerous bride were significantly more likely to call.

So if you're going out on that first date, take the girl to a thriller/frightening movie.

Blackwidow
July 1st, 2010, 06:20 PM
that was an interesting/ funny/ thrilling story.

I'm glad to hear that the worst that happened was minor scratches to the bike...the best part was that you used what happened to you to your advantage in the end..."life changing experiance" ...hilarious!

By the way, she's really cute! kudos to you! Good luck- with her and your continued adventure on your bike :cool:

Techno250
July 21st, 2010, 08:27 PM
This is how I got her number.

100% pure WIN! :thumbup:

welcome2thedawn
July 21st, 2010, 09:32 PM
wow...are you lucky!...not only could going down have ended so much worse, especially that second time...but you really know the meaning of making the best out of a bad situation :D...so has there been a second meeting???

Trailerboy531
June 23rd, 2011, 05:27 PM
Wow.... Makes me want to go out and lay that thing down!

not really...
But good for you anyway! :thumbup:

GeorgiaHooligan
June 23rd, 2011, 06:22 PM
:thumbup:Keep the shiny side up!

wtfh4xx
June 23rd, 2011, 07:59 PM
Apparently I need to start dropping my bike and picking up girls numbers :lol:

money
June 23rd, 2011, 08:00 PM
Worth it, imo. :D

Boom King
June 23rd, 2011, 10:07 PM
I got my yogurt and as I was paying explained to her that I had just been in a 'life threatening situation' and it had changed my perspective on the world. This is how I got her number.

:D Good form. You are strong with the force.

Team blue scores yet again :thumbup:

kaiserz
June 23rd, 2011, 10:55 PM
I would so totally drop my bike for that hahahaha

csmith12
June 23rd, 2011, 11:24 PM
Never had I been so sure that motorcycling is indeed for me than when I was easily finding the lines through some twists at 65mph with a clear view down a hillside to Lake Travis's sparkling waters down below.

You may want to slow down a bit until you have a more experience. Save some in the tank for the unexpected. You next down could be a very fast trip down that hill. We don't want to read about that one.

My adrenaline was pumping pretty hard at this point so I ducked into a frozen yogurt shop right there to chill out.. Where I ran into the most gorgeous cashier I have ever seen. Simply stunning. She explained to me how the shop worked and I had to have her repeat it twice due to me being so out of it. I got my yogurt and as I was paying explained to her that I had just been in a 'life threatening situation' and it had changed my perspective on the world. This is how I got her number.

2 things here.

1. Give your riding skill time to catch up with your skill with the ladies
2. If she had said no, you had a perfect out as you just wrecked

kkim
June 23rd, 2011, 11:29 PM
lol... for those responding to this thread today, take a look at the date on the original post. :)

ironic, as today marks the one year anniversary of this thread... I wonder how the lucky couple is doing? :D

csmith12
June 23rd, 2011, 11:33 PM
I am sure they went on an anniversary ride back to the yogurt shop.

kkim
June 23rd, 2011, 11:37 PM
I hope so. It would be really interesting to hear whatever became of this.

Goosey hasn't been here in awhile, though.
Last Activity: September 23rd, 2010 11:37 AM