View Full Version : July 10th Streets of Willow

Betlog
June 26th, 2010, 03:33 PM
Anyone here doing Streets of Willow on July 10th? This would be my first track day if I go. For those who have ran the 250 at Streets, how is our bike on this track?

spicy mayo
June 26th, 2010, 04:32 PM
Amazing... this is probably the best track in California to ride on the 250. Its a very tight track with plenty to work on. I have ridden a 250 there on 3 separate occasions and it has always been a blast, especially when you are making your way passed some of the bigger displacement bikes. Definitely a riders track, power wont make or break you on streets so its great to learn learn on.

what organization is this day with? how much is it?

Betlog
June 26th, 2010, 06:15 PM
Amazing... this is probably the best track in California to ride on the 250. Its a very tight track with plenty to work on. I have ridden a 250 there on 3 separate occasions and it has always been a blast, especially when you are making your way passed some of the bigger displacement bikes. Definitely a riders track, power wont make or break you on streets so its great to learn learn on.

what organization is this day with? how much is it?

TrackXperience. It's $95.00 ($80.00 for first time riders).

Zombiphone
June 27th, 2010, 08:18 AM
Wow, that's a great price! I just went there yesterday with TrackDaz and it was $130 for the day (Although it was also a 2 session day, so we got an obscene amount of track time- I LOVE Trackdaz). I've been there 4 times now, and it's incredibly fun. You'll get passed a lot on the straights of course, but the straights are short, and the turns are many, so it works well with the 250 ^_^

Forewarning though- it is BRUTALLY hot out there right now. It'll wear you out hardcore. By the end of the last session I literally didn't have the strength left to stand anymore as soon as I dismounted, and it's really not fun driving home like that.

Anyways, this is pretty tempting, but I was planning to check out Buttonwillow on the 17-18th, so I don't think I'll be able to do this one. Three track days in just over a week, followed by a road trip the week after might be a bit much for my July. Although, I DID finally get the bowl down yesterday, so I kind of want to go again. Hmmm.... If I'm officially out of overtime next week and I don't have too terribly much life to catch up on, then maybe. Likely not, but maybe.

Betlog
June 27th, 2010, 08:48 PM
Wow, that's a great price! I just went there yesterday with TrackDaz and it was $130 for the day (Although it was also a 2 session day, so we got an obscene amount of track time- I LOVE Trackdaz). I've been there 4 times now, and it's incredibly fun. You'll get passed a lot on the straights of course, but the straights are short, and the turns are many, so it works well with the 250 ^_^

Forewarning though- it is BRUTALLY hot out there right now. It'll wear you out hardcore. By the end of the last session I literally didn't have the strength left to stand anymore as soon as I dismounted, and it's really not fun driving home like that.

Anyways, this is pretty tempting, but I was planning to check out Buttonwillow on the 17-18th, so I don't think I'll be able to do this one. Three track days in just over a week, followed by a road trip the week after might be a bit much for my July. Although, I DID finally get the bowl down yesterday, so I kind of want to go again. Hmmm.... If I'm officially out of overtime next week and I don't have too terribly much life to catch up on, then maybe. Likely not, but maybe.

Tiff, how many times have you gone to the track? It looks like you're addicted :thumbup:. I hope I'll be the same.

Zombiphone
June 28th, 2010, 07:17 AM
Tiff, how many times have you gone to the track? It looks like you're addicted :thumbup:. I hope I'll be the same.

J-just 4 times since I started tracking my bike 2 1/2 months ago. Not too bad :redface: I got new rearsets, so I had no choice but to go to the track to break them in properly, you see. So it's totally justifiable :p I'd have gone more, but I had to work a lot (Which actually works out, as now I have more money to blow on track stuff :D) Haha, it's definitely an addiction, but SOOOOOO worth every penny.

I've still only been to Streets so far though, which is why I want to expand my horizons a bit and check out Buttonwillow and such. But really- streets is such a fun track and there are so many challenging turns to work on, that I'm no where near bored of it. You'll learn more about what your bike can do in a day than you probably did in all the time you spent on the street. I'm sure you'll have a blast :thumbup:

Betlog
June 29th, 2010, 12:46 AM
J-just 4 times since I started tracking my bike 2 1/2 months ago. Not too bad :redface: I got new rearsets, so I had no choice but to go to the track to break them in properly, you see. So it's totally justifiable :p I'd have gone more, but I had to work a lot (Which actually works out, as now I have more money to blow on track stuff :D) Haha, it's definitely an addiction, but SOOOOOO worth every penny.

I've still only been to Streets so far though, which is why I want to expand my horizons a bit and check out Buttonwillow and such. But really- streets is such a fun track and there are so many challenging turns to work on, that I'm no where near bored of it. You'll learn more about what your bike can do in a day than you probably did in all the time you spent on the street. I'm sure you'll have a blast :thumbup:

Nice. I hope you can make it. How many 250s do you typically see when you run Streets of Willow?

Rexbo
June 29th, 2010, 01:40 AM
its my favorite track in SoCal because its so tricky to get perfect. But as she said, its hotter than dog balls out there right now. I'm not even bothering to go to any socal tracks the whole summer just because it ruins the fun when its 105 outside and you gotta wear full leathers.

heres my buddy following me at streets:

yriNirUySEA

and here's me following him:

kkGNVpeVA_U

My ninja's completely stock except for clipons, even the stock 501 rear tire and you can still see us whipping liter bikes in intermediate group!

Betlog
June 29th, 2010, 09:01 AM
Good stuff Steve! What clip-ons are you using, and also what were the sparks from at around 0:30 of the first video? Were they from the pegs or the stand? I'm worried about our stands since they're so low...

Rexbo
June 29th, 2010, 01:03 PM
Good stuff Steve! What clip-ons are you using, and also what were the sparks from at around 0:30 of the first video? Were they from the pegs or the stand? I'm worried about our stands since they're so low...

I'm using the sportisimoto clipons which are awesome. I'm still using the stock footpegs, so it was probably those sparking on the ground, but at my most recent track day right at that exact spot you saw the sparks I nailed the kickstand mount and it punted my rear tire causing me to lowside at that spot. So yes, the kickstands are very low haha

Betlog
June 29th, 2010, 01:54 PM
I'm using the sportisimoto clipons which are awesome. I'm still using the stock footpegs, so it was probably those sparking on the ground, but at my most recent track day right at that exact spot you saw the sparks I nailed the kickstand mount and it punted my rear tire causing me to lowside at that spot. So yes, the kickstands are very low haha

See that's what I'm afraid of. My front is lowered an inch too :eek:. Were you just pushing it too hard? Or is the bike able to lean more had there been no kickstand?

Rexbo
June 29th, 2010, 02:00 PM
See that's what I'm afraid of. My front is lowered an inch too :eek:. Were you just pushing it too hard? Or is the bike able to lean more had there been no kickstand?

My front end is lowered probably about an inch also, makes for a bit faster turn in. I probably was pushing a little too hard for my own good, but right there its a downhill banked turn with lots of grip, so it really compresses the suspension and I guess i was just havin a little too much fun! Its definitely gonna get cut off and I'm gonna buy rearsets as well.

Betlog
June 29th, 2010, 02:25 PM
My front end is lowered probably about an inch also, makes for a bit faster turn in. I probably was pushing a little too hard for my own good, but right there its a downhill banked turn with lots of grip, so it really compresses the suspension and I guess i was just havin a little too much fun! Its definitely gonna get cut off and I'm gonna buy rearsets as well.

Ah. And yes, that is exactly why I lowered the front. What tires are you running? Were they at max contact patch (I'm assuming they were).

Rexbo
July 2nd, 2010, 11:17 PM
Ah. And yes, that is exactly why I lowered the front. What tires are you running? Were they at max contact patch (I'm assuming they were).

Pilot Power (normal) front tire, and stock dunlop 501 rear tire. Front tire has more lean in it, I never felt it chattering at all, but the rear tire was gettin cooked. Graining, squirmyness, then finally it gave up, leading to 2 near highsides and my lowside. But I was able to drag knee and foot peg on both sides with this relatively low-grip tire setup, and ultimately hit the foot peg. With sticky bridgestones or michelins, and enough cajones you're definitely running the chance of hitting the kickstand mount and punting the rear tire out from under you.

Betlog
July 10th, 2010, 09:59 PM
Man was it hot there today. But I had a blast...:thumbup:

Zombiphone
July 11th, 2010, 09:04 AM
Haha, looks like you had fun. Welcome to the addiction. I'll apologize in advanced to your poor, soon to be very abused wallet :D

Rexbo
July 14th, 2010, 11:37 AM
haha nice shots and awesome riding position! It always cracks me up to see how people deal with the stock handlebars, you look like you're digging the inside bar into your chin, while other people (like me) just bury their inside elbow into their gut.

Betlog
July 14th, 2010, 01:10 PM
haha nice shots and awesome riding position! It always cracks me up to see how people deal with the stock handlebars, you look like you're digging the inside bar into your chin, while other people (like me) just bury their inside elbow into their gut.

Thanks! As far as the handlebars, I'm using Woodcraft clip-ons so they are more forward and lower. I can see how the stock bars would have most move their elbows toward their gut as it's much closer to the tank and also higher. By the way, thanks for replying to all of my previous messages, you've been very helpful... and the video rocks!

randomwalk101
July 15th, 2010, 09:58 PM
wow you rock in track fairing? it's going to be expensive if you .......

Betlog
July 15th, 2010, 10:17 PM
wow you rock in track fairing? it's going to be expensive if you .......

Did you mean "street fairing"? Actually a good number of folks are on street fairings at the track during track days.

Betlog
July 15th, 2010, 10:18 PM
Haha, looks like you had fun. Welcome to the addiction. I'll apologize in advanced to your poor, soon to be very abused wallet :D

Tiff, my wallet has been abused ever since I got my M license. :eek: