View Full Version : Want to do a track day, but...

ally99
June 28th, 2010, 04:59 PM
I know this may be a dumb thread. Don't berate me TOO much if so. :o I'd LOVE to do a track day to improve my skills, however, I feel like taking the 250 to the track may be intimidating with so many bigger bikes passing me by the second. When you all take your bikes to the track, do you do it on days where there are only other 250s there? In the twisties, I'd be fine and hold my own at least fairly well. It's the rest of the track that I wonder about. :-)
I know, I know, who gives a %$#& what others think, right? I was just curious if it's at all intimidating or if you fit right in with the track crowd on the "Lil' Ninj". :D Thanks! Ally

2WheelGuy
June 28th, 2010, 05:25 PM
The first thing to do is to check with track day providers in your area. Most track days are divided into groups based on speed and ability, i.e. fast, faster, fastest groups. In a multi-group format you should be just fine in the slower group.

Remember when riding to just do your own thing and ride your own lines. Don't worry about the bikes behind you and don't look back. It is easier for them to pass you if you don't try and let them by. (Anyone who watched the F1 race last weekend knows how disastrous a sudden move to let someone by can be.)

Track days are great fun, much different than riding on the street. Stick with it and before long you will be moving up to the faster group when you are tired of all those 600s getting in your way.

http://i192.photobucket.com/albums/z193/Chester1469/250%20Track/HT4U5643.jpg

almost40
June 29th, 2010, 12:20 AM
I ride my 250 (when i take it) in I group and complain to my friends that theres way too many slow ass 600"s in my way. lol
The 250 is right at home on the track and with a skilled pilot gives you great bragging rights and ego crushing superpower. My only complaint is there isnt enough of them participating in STT events and im a marked man. Ive rode mine at the track enough that I get pointed out during the riders meeting and these words usually always follow "Dont even try to stay with this guy in the technical stuff. Hes riding the black 250." or its something like this "Give him a wave everytime you pass him on the straight and your arms going to be sore by the end of the day because hes gona pass you back 2 corners later"

Take it to the track and have FUN thats what trackdays are all about.

250rinblack
June 29th, 2010, 03:31 AM
I've booked my first track day for 11th of July at a local track. I've done them with cars before but it's a bit of a leap of faith to do it with the bike especially as I've only had it for 3 months. I'm in the slowest group with rules about passing etc and I'm very happy with that. I'm not concerned about being the fastest in my group or anything like that I just want to enjoy the day, have some legal high-speed fun on my bike and hopefully learn something along the way and become a better rider.

ally99
June 29th, 2010, 04:41 AM
I ride my 250 (when i take it) in I group and complain to my friends that theres way too many slow ass 600"s in my way. lol
The 250 is right at home on the track and with a skilled pilot gives you great bragging rights and ego crushing superpower. Ive rode mine at the track enough that I get pointed out during the riders meeting and these words usually always follow "Dont even try to stay with this guy in the technical stuff. Hes riding the black 250." or its something like this "Give him a wave everytime you pass him on the straight and your arms going to be sore by the end of the day because hes gona pass you back 2 corners later"

LOL! Dude, that ROCKS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :-) Awesome! :-)
Thank you all for your responses! Ally

kkim
June 29th, 2010, 05:12 AM
Do it, Ally... you know you wanna. :D

ally99
June 29th, 2010, 10:11 AM
Do it, Ally... you know you wanna. :D

Oh yeah, I definitely wanna! :-) Hubby and I are thinking maybe next spring we'll sign up for a day. On a related note, (Alex, let me know if I should make this into a new thread), what tires do you guys use on the track for our bikes? I know our choices are few and far between. Thanks!

Alex
June 29th, 2010, 10:26 AM
Whole bunch of fun dedicated tire threads on this site. :) Here's one (http://www.ninjette.org/forums/showthread.php?t=44113), but you'll find others as well.

For the first few trackdays, any tire that you are happy with on the street you'll be happy with on the track. As the pace picks up there may be some better choices, and that's what those threads go into.

ally99
June 29th, 2010, 10:29 AM
Cool. Thanks Alex! :-)

rockNroll
June 30th, 2010, 05:36 AM
Which track you two thinkin on, Ally?

ally99
June 30th, 2010, 05:41 PM
Which track you two thinkin on, Ally?

Not sure. Hubby was talking about one in Alabama, the one in Atlanta that rarely offers the chance, but we were leaning towards the one up your way in SC. How is it?

HKr1
July 1st, 2010, 10:16 AM
4 1/2 hours to JenningsGP :boink:

esi7esi7
July 1st, 2010, 10:18 AM
The first thing to do is to check with track day providers in your area. Most track days are divided into groups based on speed and ability, i.e. fast, faster, fastest groups. In a multi-group format you should be just fine in the slower group.

Remember when riding to just do your own thing and ride your own lines. Don't worry about the bikes behind you and don't look back. It is easier for them to pass you if you don't try and let them by. (Anyone who watched the F1 race last weekend knows how disastrous a sudden move to let someone by can be.)

Track days are great fun, much different than riding on the street. Stick with it and before long you will be moving up to the faster group when you are tired of all those 600s getting in your way.

http://i192.photobucket.com/albums/z193/Chester1469/250%20Track/HT4U5643.jpg

+1

If you're the only 250 out in an intermediate/advanced group, it may be a good idea to give the track day org. a heads up. Usually they will let everyone else know to watch closing speeds since the 250 is so much slower on the straights.

Xoulrath
July 1st, 2010, 11:26 AM
I personally think Road Atlanta, the closest one to both of us, is too fast for the 250s. There are maybe three turns that you would have an advantage on. I suppose if the control rider keeps speeds below 100 mph, you could always ride it at the back and be fine. If he starts pushing up speeds towards the end of the day above that, then it's only a matter of time until you get lapped and that becomes dangerous.

I don't even want to think of the I/A groups. Youtube Road Atlanta and you'll find some good videos, usually from the I/A group riders and you can see how crazy the speeds get.

A guy I've spoken to several times who works at WOW used to race and he told me about a track in Florida that is good for the 250 but I don't remember the name. I believe he said Barber was better than Road Atlanta for the 250 as well. I don't know anything about the SC track.

Good luck with whatever you decide. I was hoping to get some track days in next year and my wife was uneasy about it, but she was going to go along with it, because well she knew she couldn't really stop me. Then she found out that insurance didn't cover track days, which I thought she knew, but now it has become a hot topic around our house and I can't even bring up track days without her getting pissed. I'm hoping as her skills develop she will decide she needs to do a track day, but I'm not counting on it.

esi7esi7
July 1st, 2010, 11:30 AM
Slightly off topic but State farm down here covers damage as long as you are not racing (just a track day or motorcycle school day).
Posted via Mobile Device

kkim
July 1st, 2010, 11:35 AM
Then she found out that insurance didn't cover track days, which I thought she knew, but know it has become a hot topic around our house and I can't even bring up track days without her getting pissed.

In the spirit of this thread, how do people (individual racers) that frequent the track address the insurance issue, both from a collision and liability aspect?

Xoulrath
July 1st, 2010, 11:36 AM
Slightly off topic but State farm down here covers damage as long as you are not racing (just a track day or motorcycle school day).
Posted via Mobile DeviceWell I will look into it, because that will mean I get to do track days AND keep my wife happy. I have Allstate at the moment, but I would be willing to switch if costs were similar and I had track days covered.

I do find it odd that they would cover it, but if it is with an organization and organized, they must feel the potential for accidents is low.

end Thread-jack...

Xoulrath
July 1st, 2010, 11:50 AM
I honestly have no idea Kelly. If what Lisa says turns out to be applicable to me here in Georgia then that would be a Godsend. My wife knows the track is more or less a safe place, but she doesn't like the idea of replacing a bike should something go wrong.

I was under the impression that, based on the quotes I tried to get from Progressive, any type of high speed activities were pretty much looked at as high risk and were not going to be covered.

OK so I double checked exactly what Progressive asked of the vehicle's use and it has off-road use and racing/speed contests. So maybe if a company considers a track day off-road use, which it technically is, and not a race, which it isn't, then any damages can be covered.

I would definitely check with your insurance provider before going to the track if needing insurance for a potential spill is necessary. Get explicit details of what exactly is covered and then get it all in writing. I would also suggest a notary public to make the documentation more able to stand up in court should it come to that.

esi7esi7
July 1st, 2010, 11:59 AM
You sign a release to ride. Somebody correct me if I am wrong, but you are responsible for your bike/self, regardless of the circumstances.
Posted via Mobile Device

kkim
July 1st, 2010, 12:09 PM
You sign a release to ride. Somebody correct me if I am wrong, but you are responsible for your bike/self, regardless of the circumstances.
Posted via Mobile Device

That releases the track from liability/damage to your bike/person, but my question was really, from a rider's standpoint, how is track time covered to protect the rider/bike? Do most do track time not covered by any type of insurance? I could stand losing the bike, but I'd be more concerned from a liability standpoint.

2WheelGuy
July 1st, 2010, 12:14 PM
Everything varies by state but here in California track days are classified as "schools". The intent is to improve your riding skills. There is no competition involved.

Many insurance companies, auto and medical, have exclusions for "contests of speed" i.e. racing. Since track days are a school rather than a competition they don't fall under this heading.

At most race tracks and track days you sign a waiver that says you are participating in a hazardous activity and can't hold ANYONE else responsible for ANY accidents. Of course lawyers can always make a case if there is gross negligence but I have never seen such a case won.

The bottom line is that crashing at a track day is generally no different than crashing on the street with the exception that if you collide with another bike on the track you are both responsible for your own damages regardless of who was actually at fault. Many times I have seen people who have caused crashes help the other rider with repairs. Motorcyclists are generally good people.

kkim
July 1st, 2010, 12:22 PM
Thanks, Craig. I've seen the same work around applied to car "driver days" as well, though if I remember correctly, not all insurance companies will cover these. It's best to check with your individual insurance company to see what applies.

Taking this another step, how do people who advance to full out racing (beyond "track days/schools") deal with insurance?

2WheelGuy
July 1st, 2010, 12:40 PM
Taking this another step, how do people who advance to full out racing (beyond "track days/schools") deal with insurance?

You don't insure a race bike. Crashing is just an associated cost of racing. The one form of insurance that you MUST have is medical insurance. Make sure your policy does not exclude "contests of speed". The American Federation of Motorcyclists (AFM) has a fund set up to help racers with medical expenses not covered by their insurance. Check with your organization to see what coverage they provide. At races liability insurance is provided by the racing organization.

kkim
July 1st, 2010, 12:42 PM
Thank you.

:yo:

CC Cowboy
July 1st, 2010, 02:01 PM
Allyson, there is a little known track in Savannah. They do motorcycle trackdays on rare occasions (and you are right in Savannah). It is the Hutchinson Island road course.

Roebling Road is near Savannah and they do trackdays and schools.
http://www.roeblingroad.com/

JenningsGP is a great "motorcycle only" track in north Florida. This is probably your best track for the 250.
http://www.jenningsgp.com/

Tally is ok too.
http://www.tgprace.com/

I haven't been to the SC track but it looks like it would be closest for you.
Carolina Motorsports Park Kershaw, South Carolina

Xoulrath
July 1st, 2010, 10:06 PM
JenningsGP is a great "motorcycle only" track in north Florida. This is probably your best track for the 250.
http://www.jenningsgp.com/That is the track the salesman/ex-racer told me about in Florida. I plan to check that one out once I find out if my insurance will cover a track day. My wife loves vacations! :cool:

ztrack157
July 4th, 2010, 12:02 PM
The only track I would avoid with the 250 in the southeast is Roebling due to its lay out. The cheapest day will probably at Tally. It's just over a mile and is by far the biggest kick on a 250. RA is fine on the 250 and you will have fun but you will get passed by god and everyone on the long ass straight.

nope
July 6th, 2010, 08:27 AM
I just signed up my 250 for the advanced run group at Streets of Willow over here in Cali. We'll see how it goes. I've done 3 track days ever, all on my ninja, and it's such a blast and easy to learn on. For example, I was pretty competitive in the Intermediate group at the last track day. My 250 is pretty modified, but still just rockin in an untuned sub 30hp range.

I suggest to upgrade your front brake system and both tires (to buy yourself some learning room and safety margin), maybe jet kit. Then just start hacking off all the crap that drags as you get better. There's no way around it, the big bikes will blow by you at least 50 mph faster on the straights. But it's in that first turn.. you'll be doing nothing but smiling when you overtake every single one of them because you can outbrake em all. Seriously, don't skimp on tires and brakes, be willing to at least try new advice on the track, do what ends up working for you, and you'll be good.

Manimal
July 29th, 2010, 10:08 PM
I did my 1st "big" track day back in April and had lots of fun.

The track day I attended offered one-on-one and or group track instructors. Inquire with the provider you plan attending if they offer the same.

If you had never been to the track before, I highly recommend hooking up with an instructor, which will go over lines, braking points, body positioning, foot position, wieghting the pegs and using your thighs to aid leaning the bike, and looking all all the way through the turn (look to where you want to go).
Once you learn these basics / fundamentals, you will pick up pace a lot sooner. Some pick it up right away, for some, it takes time. These fundamentals translate into helping you become a better street rider as well.

I have one important tip for you upon your first time on the track, be predictable and stick to your line, where ever it may be. It helps the faster riders read your intentions to getting by you safely. Most of all, try not to be all over the track. Don't worry who is behind you, concentrate of what's ahead of you, stay relaxed (loosey goosey) and have fun.

Oh! on a fun note, when I had a pre-gen Ninja, my bro would often use it when he instructed on the track and have his fun with it too. He would often get a good laugh when guys with the faster in-lines in the paddock would cry about being passed several times by a green 250........ lol