View Full Version : How do you handle HEAVY traffic?

ChaosFromAbove
July 2nd, 2010, 11:30 AM
I guess you could consider this a skill right? lol.

So I was just curious how people handle being stuck in heavy traffic on ther bikes. Lets set up a scenario: So your riding along and need to take the bridge home, you get off on the exit and BAM 5 mile heavy traffic jam to the bridge and over it. (temperature 85ºF) What do you do?

I've seen lots of people lane split even tho its illegal, but I guess thats better then having the bike overheat right?

<Start Controversy>

Alex
July 2nd, 2010, 11:49 AM
I'm in California. Why would I ever sit in traffic on a motorcycle? :)

ChaosFromAbove
July 2nd, 2010, 11:51 AM

lol...you sir, are one lucky bastard. Technically I COULD do it...like on the bridge since a cop really cnt do nething about it wen ur on it...

2WheelGuy
July 2nd, 2010, 12:00 PM

Me too. I tend to roll with traffic until it slows to less than 25mph, when it does I just move over and continue on between the cars at about 25mph perhaps a bit more.

sofo
July 2nd, 2010, 12:13 PM
I wear a wooden katana on my back... people give me lots of room. ;)

Scott1620
July 2nd, 2010, 12:16 PM
So I was just curious how people handle being stuck in heavy traffic on ther bikes. Lets set up a scenario: So your riding along and need to take the bridge home, you get off on the exit and BAM 5 mile heavy traffic jam to the bridge and over it. (temperature 85ºF) What do you do?
<Start Controversy>

Was that the Delaware memorial bridge by any chance? I was stuck in traffic on that going into Jersey yesterday and it sucked :mad:

When it is going too slow to even have the clutch fully out in first gear I try to feather the rear brake while slipping the clutch to avoid stopping and putting my foot down. After a half mile of that your pretty exhausted though. Important to note that making sure the car behind you doesn't hit you when the traffic slows down is key as well...

And no I wont lane split, i just go along with traffic however painful it is...

DCBenson
July 2nd, 2010, 12:41 PM
Check your local laws. Here in Michigan we can ride the "Sholder". That is because air cooled bikes need to move and they don't specify that liquid cooled bikes can't.

tjkamper
July 2nd, 2010, 01:19 PM
Damn I miss living in California for that one reason.

I just stick it out like a good citizen. The worst is when you are in full gear and it is 95+

Fortunately now that I'm in Sandpoint, ID I should never have that problem.

Reswob
July 2nd, 2010, 03:27 PM
I've seen lots of people lane split even tho its illegal, but I guess thats better then having the bike overheat right?

<Start Controversy>

Our bikes are liquid-cooled, they won't likely overheat sitting in traffic. Just suck it up. If it's moving, but super slow, I try my hardest not to have to stop and put a foot down. If it's stop and go, I just don't ever put my feet up. If I can see an exit sometimes I'll ride the shoulder to get off the highway.

Cedilla
July 2nd, 2010, 04:48 PM
I've never rode in really heavy traffic. Its a couple hour ride for me to go sit in traffic. Although I think I might go do that tomorrow for the fun of it. :wtf:

ChaosFromAbove
July 2nd, 2010, 04:54 PM
Was that the Delaware memorial bridge by any chance? I was stuck in traffic on that going into Jersey yesterday and it sucked :mad:

When it is going too slow to even have the clutch fully out in first gear I try to feather the rear brake while slipping the clutch to avoid stopping and putting my foot down. After a half mile of that your pretty exhausted though. Important to note that making sure the car behind you doesn't hit you when the traffic slows down is key as well...

And no I wont lane split, i just go along with traffic however painful it is...

Actually it was the Walt Whitman...****ing longest afternoon of my life, just about every bike in tht traffic was lane splitting so of course i ended up following the crowd and did it like 2 or 3 times...i felt like a cop was gonna spot me at any second so i bared with it for the most part.

miks
July 2nd, 2010, 10:02 PM
If anything I'll wait till speeds get lower than 40km/h then I'll filter through.

edbro
July 3rd, 2010, 09:35 AM
I'm in NJ as well and ride in NY a lot and I never sit in the traffic. If traffic is flowing less than 20 mph I'll split the cars every time, but anything above 20mph I just ride along with. There is no way I can sit in heavy traffic with full gear on, it is just too hot.

ninjabrewer
July 3rd, 2010, 07:45 PM

Me too. I tend to roll with traffic until it slows to less than 25mph, when it does I just move over and continue on between the cars at about 25mph perhaps a bit more.

:thumbup::thumbup:

Flashmonkey
July 4th, 2010, 07:37 PM
I sing to myself. It helps pass the time.

People lane split around here....but I don't. It'll rob me of precious singing time.

miks
July 4th, 2010, 09:41 PM
I sing to myself. It helps pass the time.

People lane split around here....but I don't. It'll rob me of precious singing time.

And here I was thinking that I was the only one, I sit there and yell my lungs out since no one can hear me, I play the drums on my tank, stomp my feet. Cagers probably think I'm mental but oh well ... :rolleyes::p

ChaosFromAbove
July 4th, 2010, 09:45 PM
lol love the last 2 replies. I do that at stop lights, a lot. I usually have my music on so i'll be bobbing my head to it and drumming and tapping my feet. I get some crazy looks from cagers...i love it! lol

karlosdajackal
July 5th, 2010, 12:42 AM
A_vytfJM9yc

Newguy70
July 5th, 2010, 05:10 AM
Splitting lanes here In Bangkok is a way of life on a bike. from spending a lot of my time here in Bangkok traffic, I swear by a few things.

1. Sunglasses

2. iPod

3. Eyedrops (car,bus, motorbike exhausts can due some damage)

4. Small camera ( you would be amazed at the things you see when sitting in traffic)

Lived in Jersey for 20 years prior to moving to Bangkok ( I don't recall seeing a motorbike getting pulled over for lane splitting in jersey or Philly)

dimeified
July 5th, 2010, 06:56 AM
Karl, nice vid. Yea i see you said ur bike needed gas and i see the gas light on but the needle is at half way. Also the red area is at the top. Does the gas gauge move UP towards empty?

karlosdajackal
July 5th, 2010, 07:00 AM
Karl, nice vid. Yea i see you said ur bike needed gas and i see the gas light on but the needle is at half way. Also the red area is at the top. Does the gas gauge move UP towards empty?

Its an FI bike so no gas gauge, that's the water temp gauge.

dimeified
July 5th, 2010, 07:04 AM
Its an FI bike so no gas gauge, that's the water temp gauge.

aaaahhhhh, thanks. good vid btw, i love the ass in the minivan who purposely tries to clockblock you (block you from saving time on the clock). people in nj are like that all the time, i get clockblocked on a regular basis by jealous cagers. seriously, if they wanna reap the benefits of being on a bike, they need to BUY A BIKE.

ChaosFromAbove
July 5th, 2010, 09:33 AM
aaaahhhhh, thanks. good vid btw, i love the ass in the minivan who purposely tries to clockblock you (block you from saving time on the clock). people in nj are like that all the time, i get clockblocked on a regular basis by jealous cagers. seriously, if they wanna reap the benefits of being on a bike, they need to BUY A BIKE.

lol i also love when cagers are trying to impress a chick in their car and attempt to race you, and you beat them with no effort. :thumbup:

I have to say I like how this thread is going, I thought ther would be more drama, but thers like none! love it! Also love that just about everyone agrees to lane splitting wen ur stuck in traffic on a hot as hell day wearing full gear. I totally agree with no lane splitting if traffic is moving.

mikecronis
July 9th, 2010, 07:04 PM
Says you're from South Jersey (which I'm guessing is southern New Jersey) by your avatar. You cannot split lanes, nor pass in the breakdown lane. You're stuck. Crack your helmet a bit and try to stay cool. Your bike's radiator fluid and ultra-small engine prevent the bike from overheating. You could idle at 120 degrees F. until you run out of gas and your bike will not overheat.

Sailariel
July 9th, 2010, 07:32 PM
Very nicely done. When done with your degree of competence, there is really no problem. Great riding.

ChaosFromAbove
July 10th, 2010, 12:34 AM
Very nicely done. When done with your degree of competence, there is really no problem. Great riding.

was tht a stabb towards me? lolz. neways...it was wen i was on the bridge, and was following someone, so not much of a choice ther....not to mention i was in full gear and it was 100+ tht day...so if u wanna bake on the bridge knock yourself out. I prefer my health over the law.

caliente103
July 10th, 2010, 03:10 AM
I lane split all the time but when traffic is not moving
Posted via Mobile Device

maglin
July 10th, 2010, 05:54 AM
Warning! Videos contains reckless driving !

MjR1mZME91U

OdWgvqR-FjI

ChaosFromAbove
July 10th, 2010, 10:25 AM
I lane split all the time but when traffic is not moving
Posted via Mobile Device

See at least u admit it. I personally cannot see why a bike should have to sit in traffic like a car. The only exception to this would be on a beautiful day where its the perfect temp. Cause you know you are not gonna wanna sit in rush hour traffic with full gear. its not plausible.

Btw...videos are cool...and i wish i had a frggin FI ninja =[

caliente103
July 10th, 2010, 10:31 AM
the way I see it is your bike may not overheat but you WILL
Posted via Mobile Device

ChaosFromAbove
July 10th, 2010, 10:34 AM
the way I see it is your bike may not overheat but you WILL
Posted via Mobile Device

Exactly...health before law :thumbup:

GeorgiaHooligan
July 11th, 2010, 07:11 AM
Im glad my ninja is capable of teleporting

caliente103
July 11th, 2010, 09:12 AM
;)
Posted via Mobile Device

Techno250
July 18th, 2010, 08:41 PM
No lane splitting in GA. :Cry:

Was sitting in the cage on the way to work not too long ago, traffic was stopped because of an accident. Three Harleys pass us splitting the lanes. Yep, cops were just ahead of us, but the guys didn't see them until too late. I couldn't see what exactly happened because of an SUV in the way, but just a few moments later they guys were going the *opposite direction* down the emergency lane. Guess the State Patrol told 'em they had to go back some (random?) distance, or maybe the cops saw where they started to split lanes. Was kinda funny, in a way. Everyone ended up sitting there for about two hours until the mess was cleared.

CZroe
July 24th, 2010, 07:55 PM
No lane splitting in GA. :Cry:

Was sitting in the cage on the way to work not too long ago, traffic was stopped because of an accident. Three Harleys pass us splitting the lanes. Yep, cops were just ahead of us, but the guys didn't see them until too late. I couldn't see what exactly happened because of an SUV in the way, but just a few moments later they guys were going the *opposite direction* down the emergency lane. Guess the State Patrol told 'em they had to go back some (random?) distance, or maybe the cops saw where they started to split lanes. Was kinda funny, in a way. Everyone ended up sitting there for about two hours until the mess was cleared.

I doubt that there's a law against walking them! In Peachtree City, I had to take mine through a crosswalk when the light wouldn't change and a cop pulled over to ask me "WTF?" :D I told him I was pushing it like I would other property like luggage or a shopping cart.

jonthechron
July 25th, 2010, 01:37 AM
I've been in ~5 miles of heavy traffic and the temps were over 100 F + humidity, it honestly wasn't THAT bad.

85F I consider to be a nice day, not too hot not too cool, when it starts hitting 115F then it starts to get hot, and that's 115F without the heat from the engine crawling up onto you.

KJohnson21
July 25th, 2010, 09:17 AM
I found some interesting information and trivia about lane splitting here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lane_splitting

This site has information about recent efforts to legalize lane splitting in some states: http://www.laneshare.org/index.html

spooph
July 29th, 2010, 06:55 AM
I envy you Karl... That was awesome!

headshrink
July 30th, 2010, 01:32 AM
I find myself lane splitting less and less.... the novelty has worn off, and it is too stressful for a leisurely ride. However, it sure was useful that day an accident brought the freeway to a halt and I was late for work. When I did it more frequently, it was mostly at lights. I even do that a lot less. More power to you if you can and do though.