View Full Version : Ignition switch questions

kobachi
July 15th, 2010, 07:16 PM
I am replacing the triple tree and ignition switch on my newly-recovered bike. I have brand new OEM parts for both, and I am a little disturbed at the difference in diameter between the key cylinder and the ring on the triple tree -- there seems to be about a millimeter clearance between the two. Is this normal? Could someone be so kind as to take a closeup picture of their ignition switch/triple tree so I can be sure I'm doing this correctly? Would like to be sure before I permanently tighten these security bolts...

Also, I found some mentions but no descriptions/pictures -- has anyone installed an security kill switch? Ignition-2 on the wiring diagram looks like a tasty candidate, but I'm not so experienced with vehicle wiring...

headshrink
July 15th, 2010, 09:07 PM
I'm still in my office at the moment, so I can't get a pic, but I know what you are talking about regarding the gap.... Mine has it too, so I guess it is normal. It seems the TT ring is more of a guard than a housing. I'll take a closer look at it when I get a chance.

addy126
July 15th, 2010, 09:21 PM
Craig, I have this pick on file for something someone else needed info on regarding "sensors" and were I'd placed them. Does the angle help you at all on the ignition lock location. It's all I got at the moment.

kobachi
July 16th, 2010, 02:05 PM
Definitely answers my question about the key cylinder/guard, thank you! I'll be filling mine with epoxy -- that gap is just a little too close to crowbar-sized. I'm disappointed at the low quality metal Kawasaki used for the top triple. Makes the ignition switch way too vulnerable...as I learned the hard way =(

I'm still trying to choose an appropriate wire for installing a hidden switch. It's hard for me to test since my gas tank is currently removed and drained =/ Anyone?