View Full Version : How To: Clean/Lube Chain

patw
July 16th, 2010, 06:43 AM
I strayed a bit from my usual riding videos and made a how-to last night. The setup had 2 cameras (Flip video, Point-n-shoot Samsung camera), a spot light (desk lamp) a gorilla mount and the Flip mounted on a broomstick with bungees.

UQZiQgBtNrA

miks
July 16th, 2010, 08:36 AM
Good vid mate, heres some extra tips to make things a little easier. I just cleaned and lubed my chain today and found that removing the chain guard makes it easier to clean the chain and also theres usually a heaps of grease and grime under the guard so clean that out. I also removed the front sprocket cover to clean the front sprocket and all the crap inside there, and being that it was the first time cleaning the front sprocket in 8000kms there was heaps of grime and grease in there, so I'd suggest cleaning that once in a while.

patw
July 16th, 2010, 09:33 AM
That's a great idea Mike. I took a look inside the front sprocket cover and sure enough it looks like hell in there. Time for some additional WD-40 :)

austexjg
July 16th, 2010, 10:19 AM
Must be nice to work outside with a light and have minimal bug attraction.

Alex
July 19th, 2010, 09:28 PM
/linked to DIY thread (http://www.ninjette.org/forums/showthread.php?t=5586)

:thumbup:

BIGT94z
July 20th, 2010, 03:15 AM
awesome vid :thumbup: nice job and will help others im sure!

patw
July 20th, 2010, 06:58 AM
Very cool. Glad it's useful to someone :)

gaby
July 20th, 2010, 07:42 AM
I actually took of my chain guard completely, I think it looks better and also easier to clean. I clean my chain differently though.

harlumjp
September 21st, 2010, 12:01 PM
after how many miles do you think this should be done?

kkim
September 21st, 2010, 12:03 PM

your owner's manual says every 400 miles.

dubojr1
September 21st, 2010, 12:10 PM

Here ya go!

keeyu
September 21st, 2010, 12:29 PM
Cool.

harlumjp
September 21st, 2010, 12:41 PM
Thanks, wow I better get on that then lol. I'm around 1,500 miles on the bike...My dealership did the 600 mi. service so I am assuming they lubed it then.

BTW I need a rear stand for the bike because the thought of lubing the chain w/out that seems like a pain. How much should one of these cost me? Any recommendations for online purchasing?

CC Cowboy
September 21st, 2010, 01:07 PM
They make a brush that works well.

lux
September 21st, 2010, 01:18 PM
... BTW I need a rear stand for the bike because the thought of lubing the chain w/out that seems like a pain. How much should one of these cost me? Any recommendations for online purchasing?
GPI Industries' stands seem to be well rated and inexpensive. www.gpiindustries.com
They make a brush that works well.
This? www.tirox.ca

www.webbikeworld.com/r4/tirox-motorcycle-chain-cleaner

Thank you to the OP.

Ryosen11
September 21st, 2010, 01:34 PM
This? www.tirox.ca

www.webbikeworld.com/r4/tirox-motorcycle-chain-cleaner

I started using the Tirox recently and I love it. So much easier and quicker.

CC Cowboy
September 21st, 2010, 03:09 PM
I like the 3 sided brush with the long handle.

mrlmd
September 22nd, 2010, 03:54 PM
I haven't watched this in a looong time but there is a much easier way to maintain your chain after you clean it.
And don't forget, WD-40 is OK for CLEANING, but not for LUBRICATION of a chain. It leaves a sticky residue and won't last very long. Thar stuff is better for loosening rusty bolts or stuck cables, then you have to lube with something else.

Use Dupont Teflon spray lube, blue can, avail. at Walmart, Lowes, Home Dept, Ace Hardware, etc, etc. Spray it on the chain with the straw. Is is clean, no mess, does not attract dirt or have dirt stick to it, no greasy messy cleanup each time. A can is about $8-9, will last for a year or more if you spritz the chain once a month or so.
I have been using it for a few years on two different bikes, many others on numerous other bike websites also recommend it, and all I can say is that it works great and is very clean and easy to apply and the chain lasts as long as any other greasy oily stuff you put on, maybe longer because there's no grit or dirt buildup in the grease that most people use on the chain.
It makes your life a whole lot easier instead of into a difficult dirty chore that tends to get ignored. Try it, you'll like it. :thumbup:

bob706
September 22nd, 2010, 05:15 PM
Use Dupont Teflon spray lube

+1000. That stuff is the shiznit :thumbup:

lux
September 22nd, 2010, 06:45 PM
... Use Dupont Teflon spray lube, blue can, avail. at Walmart, Lowes, Home Dept, Ace Hardware, etc, etc. Spray it on the chain with the straw. Is is clean, no mess, does not attract dirt or have dirt stick to it, no greasy messy cleanup each time. A can is about $8-9, will last for a year or more if you spritz the chain once a month or so.
I have been using it for a few years on two different bikes, many others on numerous other bike websites also recommend it, and all I can say is that it works great and is very clean and easy to apply and the chain lasts as long as any other greasy oily stuff you put on, maybe longer because there's no grit or dirt buildup in the grease that most people use on the chain.
It makes your life a whole lot easier instead of into a difficult dirty chore that tends to get ignored. Try it, you'll like it. :thumbup:
Some links for reference:

http://www.webbikeworld.com/t2/motorcycle-chain-lube/dupont-teflon-chain-saver/

http://www.lowes.com/pd_213197-39963-D00110101_0__?productId=1059839&Ntt=teflon&pl=1&currentURL=%2Fpl__0__s%3FNtt%3Dteflon

bob706
September 22nd, 2010, 07:02 PM
DuPont Teflon Chain Saver is the stuff I got from walmart. Good stuff :thumbup:

dubojr1
September 23rd, 2010, 06:08 AM
Anyone else using this stuff? I love it!!!

http://www.amsoil.com/storefront/amh.aspx

patw
September 23rd, 2010, 06:34 AM
I haven't watched this in a looong time but there is a much easier way to maintain your chain after you clean it.
And don't forget, WD-40 is OK for CLEANING, but not for LUBRICATION of a chain. It leaves a sticky residue and won't last very long. Thar stuff is better for loosening rusty bolts or stuck cables, then you have to lube with something else.

Use Dupont Teflon spray lube, blue can, avail. at Walmart, Lowes, Home Dept, Ace Hardware, etc, etc. Spray it on the chain with the straw. Is is clean, no mess, does not attract dirt or have dirt stick to it, no greasy messy cleanup each time. A can is about $8-9, will last for a year or more if you spritz the chain once a month or so.

My bottle of Chain Wax is almost out, I'll try out the Teflon based one. It sounds like it's cheaper than the stuff I'm using anyways.

TrueFader
October 15th, 2010, 03:07 PM
i use i think mazima, chain lube and wax, works fine for me. and i use a rag not paper towels or a fancy brush... if the brush were free i'd probably use it

patw
October 17th, 2010, 08:55 AM
i use i think mazima, chain lube and wax, works fine for me. and i use a rag not paper towels or a fancy brush... if the brush were free i'd probably use it

You don't find your rag gets completely saturated with grease? I use paper towels because they can soak up a ton of crap.

Suave
August 20th, 2011, 04:24 PM
you dont want to dispose of those wrags like that. put it in a metal waste bin (every garage should have one). Wrapping up chemical/greasy/oily wrags can cause them to spontaneously combust, and no, I'm not making that up. I've seen it happen in my shop class, both a plastic trash can on fire and a metal waste bin smoking because of all the chemicals reacting inside of it. Do not wrap them in a grocery bag, for the love of god, trust me ;).

jamesio
August 23rd, 2011, 02:14 PM
here's a question, when you clean and lube your chain how much lube are you supposed to use? I have the dupont stuff and i like it a lot. i am just wondering if i am using too much of it.

Mountain Dew
August 23rd, 2011, 02:34 PM
The brush someone was talking about earlier is The Grunge Brush

http://www.cyclegear.com/spgm.cfm?L1=5007&L2=33&L3=719&L4=&item=TUC_31-7121&name=FINISH_LINE_The_Grunge_Brush

Most motorcycle places have it in stock.

5evenz
August 25th, 2011, 12:15 AM
Thats my toothbrush :D

MotoED
August 25th, 2011, 03:35 AM
Great video! Very useful info! :D

reaubideux
August 25th, 2011, 04:57 AM
here's a question, when you clean and lube your chain how much lube are you supposed to use? I have the dupont stuff and i like it a lot. i am just wondering if i am using too much of it.

I'd bet that unless you're talking about trying to conserve your chain lube and not wasting it, I don't think you can really use too much and over-lubricate your chain. If there's too much lubricant that the o-rings are saturated and there's no crevices for the lubricant to seep into then the excess will simply drip off the chain. :2cents:

I'd say I probably go a little overboard on my chain when lubing it. I use the DuPont stuff as well and I'll spray the top (outside-facing side) of the chain from the back of the bike where it rolls over the rear sprocket and then I'll spray the inside (inward-facing side) down where it goes under the rear swingarm by the kickstand. I spray enough that it soaks the chain then let it sit for 15-20 minutes or so before wiping off the excess and there's always little puddles underneath from where it's dripping off.

KawiKid860
September 10th, 2011, 04:11 PM
Thanks for this! just cleaned and lubed my chain for the first time, was pretty easy but working around the left side exhaust can was a PITA I want a 2-1 exhaust now.

patw
September 10th, 2011, 04:40 PM
The video shows a 2008+ model, they only have one exhaust :D

metabolism
June 13th, 2012, 10:42 AM
Thanks for the DIY vid. Gonna stock up on WD40 and the DuPont Teflon spray from Walmart and try cleaning my chain in a week or so. :thumbup:

patw
June 13th, 2012, 10:43 AM
Thanks for the DIY vid. Gonna stock up on WD40 and the DuPont Teflon spray from Walmart and try cleaning my chain in a week or so. :thumbup:

I can't believe people still look at this thread. Awesome :)

metabolism
June 13th, 2012, 10:46 AM
I can't believe people still look at this thread. Awesome :)

It's a must read thread IMO haha

Alex
June 13th, 2012, 01:06 PM
Gonna stock up on WD40 and the DuPont Teflon spray from Walmart

Make sure to review this more recent thread:

DuPont Teflon Chain Lube - Formulas have changed (http://www.ninjette.org/forums/showthread.php?t=104972)

metabolism
June 13th, 2012, 01:14 PM
Make sure to review this more recent thread:

DuPont Teflon Chain Lube - Formulas have changed (http://www.ninjette.org/forums/showthread.php?t=104972)

Thanks!

Kokosun
October 15th, 2012, 08:16 AM
I tried Wurth Chain and Brake Cleaner yesterday. I bought this because I was being lazy and I saw lots of really great reviews. My chain was looking grubby and the idea of spray, wipe and done was very attractive. So, I bought the combo cleaner, lube and cleaning brush.

I removed the chain guard, went for a fifteen minute ride to warm up the chain, stuck the bike on the stand and got spraying. Dirt was definitely coming off and I was pleased. I left it for about ten minutes and then sprayed the chain again and used the cleaning brush. More dirt came off. Great! I finished the job by spraying the last of the can onto a lint-free cloth as I wiped the chain. A little more dirt came off. 15-minutes after I started, I was done.

The only problem was, the chain wasn't really clean. It looked "OK", but between the links and around the 'o' rings I could see dirt.

After sighing heavily, I did what I should have done in the first place. I got a jar of paraffin/kerosene, an old toothbrush and (another) cloth and started cleaning the chain properly. This time it took me about 30-minutes, but at the end of it the chain really was clean.

Summary; I think that the Wurth stuff is good for a 'quick' clean, but it really isn't good enough. Paraffin/kerosene is cheaper and better. It takes about two to three times as long to clean with paraffin, but if you load up a good album on your MP3 player, take a deep breath, and get focused on the job, it's actually quite good therapy. Also, if I hadn't waited 1,200 miles since the last time I cleaned it, it would have been easier still.

Malicious Logic
October 16th, 2012, 11:48 AM
I tried Wurth Chain and Brake Cleaner yesterday. I bought this because I was being lazy and I saw lots of really great reviews. My chain was looking grubby and the idea of spray, wipe and done was very attractive. So, I bought the combo cleaner, lube and cleaning brush.

I removed the chain guard, went for a fifteen minute ride to warm up the chain, stuck the bike on the stand and got spraying. Dirt was definitely coming off and I was pleased. I left it for about ten minutes and then sprayed the chain again and used the cleaning brush. More dirt came off. Great! I finished the job by spraying the last of the can onto a lint-free cloth as I wiped the chain. A little more dirt came off. 15-minutes after I started, I was done.

The only problem was, the chain wasn't really clean. It looked "OK", but between the links and around the 'o' rings I could see dirt.

After sighing heavily, I did what I should have done in the first place. I got a jar of paraffin/kerosene, an old toothbrush and (another) cloth and started cleaning the chain properly. This time it took me about 30-minutes, but at the end of it the chain really was clean.

Summary; I think that the Wurth stuff is good for a 'quick' clean, but it really isn't good enough. Paraffin/kerosene is cheaper and better. It takes about two to three times as long to clean with paraffin, but if you load up a good album on your MP3 player, take a deep breath, and get focused on the job, it's actually quite good therapy. Also, if I hadn't waited 1,200 miles since the last time I cleaned it, it would have been easier still.

Not sure what this Paraffin/kerosene stuff you're talking about is. Is this O-ring safe or just random chemicals? o.O I personally use the DuPont chain degreaser along with their cleaning brush and it looks fine to me. I'm sure my standard of a clean chain may be different than others though.

Kokosun
October 16th, 2012, 11:59 AM
Not sure what this Paraffin/kerosene stuff you're talking about is. Is this O-ring safe or just random chemicals? o.O I personally use the DuPont chain degreaser along with their cleaning brush and it looks fine to me. I'm sure my standard of a clean chain may be different than others though.

Kerosene (US term) is paraffin (UK term). It's what most motorcycle manufacturers recommend to clean chains.

Malicious Logic
October 16th, 2012, 12:02 PM
Kerosene (US term) is paraffin (UK term). It's what most motorcycle manufacturers recommend to clean chains.

Ah, ok. Definitely going to have to try that after seeing some of the results other people are getting from it.

Kokosun
October 16th, 2012, 12:46 PM
I just checked the service manual. It say's:

----------
CAUTION

- The o-rings between the side plates seal in the lubricant between the pin and the bushing. To avoid damaging the o-rings and resultant loss of lubricant, observe the following rules.
- Use only kerosene or diesel oil for cleaning an o-ring drive chain. Other cleaning solution such as gasoline or trichloroethylene will cause deterioration and swelling of the o-rings.
- Immediately blow the chain dry with compressed air after cleaning.
- Complete cleaning and drying the chain within 10 minutes.

It goes on to say:

- Apply oil [aka lube] to the sides of the rollers so that oil will penetrate to the rollers and bushings. Apply the oil to the o-rings so that the o-rings will be coated with oil.
- Wipe off any excess oil

----------

But, I think that most of the commercial chain cleaning fluids are pretty safe, and there are lots of people that really like them. I don't think that they're as good as kerosene and elbow grease - and they are definitely a lot more expensive.

Malicious Logic
October 16th, 2012, 01:14 PM
Yeah, I definitely may give it a try if it's cheaper than the commercial cleaning fluids. I really wanna remove my chain guard and the front sprocket cover and really give it a good, thorough cleaning so if Kerosene works better, it'd make sense to use it.

Found something odd in my short research though. This link (http://bolty.net/2009/08/05/how-to-clean-and-lube-a-motorcycle-chain/) shows using kerosene and seems to say that WD-40 is a bad cleaning agent but the study they link here (http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=345397) actually shows the opposite....that WD-40 doesn't appear to have a negative effect on the o-rings....*shrugs* Just something I thought I'd add to the pool of knowledge that is this thread.

Kokosun
October 16th, 2012, 02:08 PM
I think that one of the main ingredients of WD-40 is kerosene, so I doubt that it's really bad. Lots of people use it, and it doesn't seem to have any really bad effect. Personally, I love WD-40. It's like a miracle substance. But it's much more expensive than POK (plain old kerosene).

:-)

Malicious Logic
October 16th, 2012, 04:25 PM
Part II here (http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=350310) shows that it ends up reducing the strength of the O-ring in a long term environment.

:(

choneofakind
October 16th, 2012, 04:57 PM
Not sure what this Paraffin/kerosene stuff you're talking about is. Is this O-ring safe or just random chemicals? o.O

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kerosene

It's just fine for cleaning anything that needs to be de-greased like chains, bearings, etc. Just make sure all the Kerosene has evaporated before you go re-lube, or else all your brand new lube not stay put.

EDIT: oops, you guys already covered that... But I will note that somewhere on here, I read that WD40 is not bad for the o-rings, it's the stuff in the can for pressurization that's harmful to o-rings

ally99
July 24th, 2013, 10:45 AM
Awesome video, great thread! I love ninjette.org!