View Full Version : ColorRite - Kawasaki 602 Ebony, CLEAR COAT QUESTION

FerociousNINJA
July 20th, 2010, 08:06 PM
I have to paint my rear flaring on my 2008 Ninja 2Fiddy. I was going to order the ColorRite Aerosol +$33.95:

Kawasaki 602 Ebony
* SKU # : 3005
* Vendor : ColorRite
* Manufacturer : Kawasaki
* Manufacturer Code : 602

and then @ "CHECK OUT" I see this notice regarding the clear coat. Do I need this?

welcome2thedawn
July 20th, 2010, 11:49 PM
i would definitely buy the clear...not only will it look like you did it yourself without the clearcoat, the color may not even match without it...i used their 08 blue to paint two pieces...i ran out of clear on the second piece...so i decided i would just go buy some at fred meyer......uh, bad idea....it didn't react well, and started to crackle

jonthechron
July 21st, 2010, 01:23 AM
I bought the paint from them, but used my own clear coat (Dupont) from Napa CMAX, amazing results.

welcome2thedawn
July 21st, 2010, 02:40 AM
nice...maybe i'll grab some of that....how many coats did you do? did you wet sand/polish?

bdavison
July 21st, 2010, 05:05 AM
Id highly recommend sticking to the same brand of clear coat to prevent any possible problems.

When you choose use a different brand clearcoat, its hit or miss regarding compatibility.

Not all paints and clears are compatible, and it really sucks to paint something, then shoot the clear, and it all turns to mush.

kobachi
July 21st, 2010, 02:49 PM
From their site FAQ:

Q. What is meant by compatibility?
A. ColorRite has extensive research and development time involved in producing our product line. Every color is made of a urethane basecoat/clearcoat application using the latest in paint technology. Therefore it is imperative to use only ColorRite products together to create the highest quality results possible. Use of other brand products can result in dull backs, adhesion loss, wrinkling, or poor surface conditions.

Q. My body shop has clearcoat and reducer, why do I need yours?
A. This question is directly related to the above compatibility question. If you use the wrong products, there is an excellent chance you will have problems. These problems may occur immediately or worse, down the road a couple months. It’s not uncommon for incompatible products to look like they are working correctly, but result in crazing or cracking in a few months time.

ColorRite has specifically developed a clear coat that is high in solids to obtain the best possible finish while achieving unmatched durability. Our clear is competitively priced also. There is no substantial savings to using another brand clear when the right product is available and affordable.

The same holds true for our reducer also.

CZroe
July 28th, 2010, 04:32 AM
If there is a scratch in the clear coat, can clear cloat alone fix it or should I stick to polish?